Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Using unscientific methods and such, that script has between 1~1.5 million words in it.

Enjoy your movie.

edit : confused dog snipe.

http://i.imgur.com/Ae2GdG6.gifv

Lime Tonics fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

AlmightyPants posted:

Before last July came along and the crobbers started their war with Derek, who was the opponent or boogeyman or whatever that the cultists hated? I've only been paying attention since November 2015, so I have no idea who they blamed for all the ills of the world.

There was a lot of Goonrathi trolling and general goonfear in the early years but it was in the context of the game actually coming out and being good. By mid-2015 there were a lot of people wondering what the gently caress was going on, but I don't think anyone was blaming them as a whole for the delays. The apologists were mostly using the same excuses you see now- "Expanded scope! Two weeks away!" - but without the boogeyman that DSmart represents. Mostly Illfonic and the other subcontractors were getting the heat for not living up to Chris' vision.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
i lurked the SC thread for awhile in 2013-14 and while it wasnt nearly as culty it definitely was super fanboy with similar talking points.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Lime Tonics posted:

Using unscientific methods and such, that script has between 1~1.5 million words in it.

Enjoy your movie.

I'm guessing you're assuming it's pages full of text?

Movie scripts have tons of empty space and I have to imagine thats the format they went with because Chris thinks he's a writer/director.

It'll be a TON OF WORDS but nowhere near a million

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
I am responsible for getting Seraph banned from somehingsensitive when he went over there. We were wondering who this crazy guy spamming nonsense was so I popped over to SA and boom pedophile.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

So is that like the third rework of their single player character model now? lol

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

alf_pogs posted:

i love this, there is so much going on. i love it

Busy playing tinker island but not busy enough to say thank you!! :)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Christ, I have to read this fiasco of a thread in shifts.

Sadly I enjoy it. Welcome new members. Be sure to send in your goon paperwork addressed to Internet Warlord. The post office will know what to do with it.

So I take it we can set the "Last hosed up day" back to zero?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Just to keep things straight as I learn them:

Star Marine: A game which was abruptly cancelled close to release, said to be "rolled in" to the SC main game with (surprisingly) little to no backlash

Squadron 42: The most expensive and worst episode of Red vs. Blue not coming out this year

Star Citizen: The main imaginary game

Am I on point here? Also, I don't get the Persistent Universe, is that part of the SC main imaginary game? What is the difference if SC is suppose to be an MMO, shouldn't it be persistent anyway? Why make this special name for it?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Just to keep things straight as I learn them:

Star Marine: A game which was abruptly cancelled close to release, said to be "rolled in" to the SC main game with (surprisingly) little to no backlash

Squadron 42: The most expensive and worst episode of Red vs. Blue not coming out this year

Star Citizen: The main imaginary game

Am I on point here? Also, I don't get the Persistent Universe, is that part of the SC main imaginary game? What is the difference if SC is suppose to be an MMO, shouldn't it be persistent anyway? Why make this special name for it?

Yes. Like Star Citizens, we are imagining how this will implode.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Fudge posted:

Didn't foresee Buckle being such a resilient retail chain.

I'm the clone stamped debris by the door

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i'm the mid 30s guy wearing snug buckles jeans looking sexy and sad at the same tiem

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i'm the mid 30s guy wearing snug buckles jeans looking sexy and sad at the same tiem

Want to hang out? I need a wingman for some chick I met on tumblr. Has protruding collar bones, and loves tim tams.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Colostomy Bag posted:

Want to hang out? I need a wingman for some chick I met on tumblr. Has protruding collar bones, and loves tim tams.

she's my mom but says she's my younger niece but if you need a hook up i'll do what i can

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

turn your monitor on

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I'm the chair LOD textures in the intro constantly popping back and forth. I'm the motion blur that makes the planet surface textures look like a 10 year old flight simulator. I'm the nonsensical free body diagrams. I'm the immersion animations that were shown off last week. I'm the ship with a rotating body that blocks the thrusters (seriously, wtf is going on with that ship).
I'm the... I'm the :supaburn:

Good on them for showing off more stuff. Too bad that most of it is loving ridiculous poo poo that isn't getting the game any closer to a releasable state.

this is 'amazing'

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

SurfaceDetail posted:

turn your monitor on

actually i said that in complete earnestness lol

edit: ok the sexy part was hyperbole i dont believe in that

I actually thought i was posting in GIP when I said that

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

she's my mom but says she's my younger niece but if you need a hook up i'll do what i can

o9

This makes the Stimpire ashamed.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

AlmightyPants posted:

Before last July came along and the crobbers started their war with Derek, who was the opponent or boogeyman or whatever that the cultists hated? I've only been paying attention since November 2015, so I have no idea who they blamed for all the ills of the world.

It's been a rotating series of things, but the "Boogeyman" poo poo really took off when doubt started surfacing in their own minds.

I followed it from the 30 millions when goons started making fun of it in 2013. They were still smug then so the ENEMY was "big publishers" that would be defeated by Chris Roberts. Then the ENEMY was goons because Goonrathi was setup with more than a quarter million worth of ships.

All of that was in the context of the game being made though (a sure thing because it was 2013 / before the deadlines in 2014 with record breaking funding and not enough time to start doubting.) Our mocking was mostly limited to like 50 people and even then we were fighting among ourselves because Games was full of True Believers.

It wasn't until Star Citizen started missing deadlines by years (2015) that they really started going crazy with an ENEMY being the root of all their problems. We are two years late at this point, it's evident that the best case is they aren't getting the game they paid for, and there are signs everywhere the project has already failed. That's why you see people thinking derek smart and something awful are in a conspiracy to take Star Citizen down. IT'S NOT GOING DOWN BUT IF IT IS IT ISN'T MY FAULT! I WASN'T STUPID!

This step with blame shifting (or rather the severity of it) is unique to Star Citizen as other failed games projects didn't quite have the perfect storm of autism / desperation / depression / money / incompetence / dreams / delusion / time that's caused a hurricane of poo poo. They are hanging onto their doorframes screaming that the weather service's constant sirens had made them complacent and it's someone else's fault they are about to be blown through 200mph shitwinds. The closer it gets the louder they will scream it's someone else's fault.

Derek is just a crazy person driving a stolen ice cream truck through four feet of poo poo yelling over the loud speaker that he told everyone, and everyone caught in the storm is accusing him of purposefully causing it so he could say he is right about it to justify why they are dumb enough to be caught in it.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

actually i said that in complete earnestness lol

edit: ok the sexy part was hyperbole i dont believe in that

I actually thought i was posting in GIP when I said that

honestly i just use that phrase at every possible opportunity because its awesome.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crobbers posted:

My gut sense is that 5 to 10 percent of your audience is going to back you early, and I think that number is variable based on the quality.

I think he's out by 90-95%.

I suspect that he's got 80% of his entire pre-firesale audience, although I'll admit that it's pulled from the same place as Crobbers pulled his, it's just that it really needed a successful alpha before throwing out the 'free' weekends and having the citizens question their investment.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Fat Shat Sings posted:

It's been a rotating series of things, but the "Boogeyman" poo poo really took off when doubt started surfacing in their own minds.

I followed it from the 30 millions when goons started making fun of it in 2013. They were still smug then so the ENEMY was "big publishers" that would be defeated by Chris Roberts. Then the ENEMY was goons because Goonrathi was setup with more than a quarter million worth of ships.

All of that was in the context of the game being made though (a sure thing because it was 2013 / before the deadlines in 2014 with record breaking funding and not enough time to start doubting.) Our mocking was mostly limited to like 50 people and even then we were fighting among ourselves because Games was full of True Believers.

It wasn't until Star Citizen started missing deadlines by years (2015) that they really started going crazy with an ENEMY being the root of all their problems. We are two years late at this point, it's evident that the best case is they aren't getting the game they paid for, and there are signs everywhere the project has already failed. That's why you see people thinking derek smart and something awful are in a conspiracy to take Star Citizen down. IT'S NOT GOING DOWN BUT IF IT IS IT ISN'T MY FAULT! I WASN'T STUPID!

This step with blame shifting (or rather the severity of it) is unique to Star Citizen as other failed games projects didn't quite have the perfect storm of autism / desperation / depression / money / incompetence / dreams / delusion / time that's caused a hurricane of poo poo. They are hanging onto their doorframes screaming that the weather service's constant sirens had made them complacent and it's someone else's fault they are about to be blown through 200mph shitwinds. The closer it gets the louder they will scream it's someone else's fault.

Derek is just a crazy person driving a stolen ice cream truck through four feet of poo poo yelling over the loud speaker that he told everyone, and everyone caught in the storm is accusing him of purposefully causing it so he could say he is right about it to justify why they are dumb enough to be caught in it.

You have a way with words, you know that?

I want an illustration of Ice Cream Derek now.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fat Shat Sings posted:

:eyepop:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tortolia posted:

You have a way with words, you know that?

I want an illustration of Ice Cream Derek now.

Derek's ice cream truck would be orchestrated and have a nice soundtrack.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

A Neurotic Jew posted:

this game could not be more retarded.

Just a wait a few more weeks. It will get more retarded.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Please explain SC to me
When SC is developed, time begins to correct itself. Let me use this example: Imagine four features on the verge of release. Say a direct copy of the feature nearest to release is sent to the back of the line of features and takes the place of the first feature. The formerly first feature becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth is vaporware.

SC works the same way.

e: improper pluralization because i was literally too lazy to type a word more than once

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 29, 2016

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
That is literally the most concise summary of SC's development you will ever hear.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Chocobo posted:

When SC is developed, time begins to correct itself. Let me use this example: Imagine four features on the verge of release. Say a direct copy of the feature nearest to release is sent to the back of the line of features and takes the place of the first feature. The formerly first feature becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth is vaporware.

SC works the same way.

e: improper pluralization because i was literally too lazy to type a word more than once

Benny Five Chins

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Chocobo posted:

SC works the same way.

Chocobo posted:

That is literally the most concise summary of SC's development you will ever hear.
It is shockingly accurate.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
funny that a zyborne clock reference explains sc development accurately

ill make the wiki

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016
So I was told this was the CIG Leavers Outreach forum, right place?

My name is ripptide and I'm a dirty leaver. Lurked the SA forums for a while then went into withdrawal when the paywall went up so I joined.

First things first

cat pledge taxxe, back pay for all the lurking....

So, on to the steps to recovery:

1. Beer, good to see you still around. May not have always agreed with you on the CIG forums, but always loved your posts

2. Big thanks to Derek for keeping the info going on this on-going shite show and reviewing the emails

3. Thanks Streetroller, between the new ToS and seeing you get your refund, pretty well tipped me off the fence

My process was probably a bit easier thanks to the scare you and some others have put into them. First email asking for a refund, gave them 7 days with a warning I would file with FTC and LA DCBA after that. All I got was the automated CS response ("Please stay on the line, your call is very important to us").

After a week, I still had no response, so I sent a second email, and filed with both the FTC and DCBA.

Funnily enough, I had a response waiting for me on Monday that they were reviewing my account, and by Wednesday they had refunded me over half of the amount. Still fighting with them about that but realistically not too hopeful.

So yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Crobbs.

P.S. - BTW, does backer money pay for the multiple shill accounts on this forum? Just curious

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Dante80 posted:

This is demostratively untrue. CIG has been using their own netcode since 2013...and loving it up along the way. No legacy code exists for networking.

1. The first completely rewrote it (sic) back in 2013/2014 to actually bring out the AC (then called DFM) module. This pushed its release by 6 months (it was originally planned for end of 2013).
2. Later down the line, their code hosed up in AC, and they had to fix it. They even showcased in a video a custom monitoring debug tool that showed where lag was coming from and helped them fix it "once and for all" (sic). Thats when they moved to cloud too.
3. Then they added their own lobby, linked the module to the store, were forced to change the damage system because it was killing everything, and added the social module.
4. They rolled this poo poo in 2.0 as PU code. As soon as persistence came in, the server coughed blood and died.

And now they are saying that CRYENGINE legacy code is the fault, and they will be rolling their own soon.

The facts for the points above are completely verifiable in CIG transmission posts. Can't be arsed to find those right now..
#1 Is kind of true. CIG SAID the reason for DFM's delay was the reworking the netcode. The reality was there was nothing to ship. It was more of CR's posturing. "We could give you something now, but then we would need to re-write the netcode later. So, we are going to wait and do it right!!" Which was complete and utter bullshit. Also high on the bullshit meter was having to redo all the spaceships with PBR rendering.. Your ship will age over time! Such fidelity. You can see the steam coming from the folds in the turd. Everything was simply a stall for time to get a sizzle ready for the next trade show.

The hype train grinding to a halt should scare the true believers more than anything. Nothing new to show in how long? Nine months? You would think that as the game is supposedly coalescing into something playable--making new hype videos would be easier not harder. Yet the best CIG's co-founder and VP of marketing and vaporware can deliver is a CD filled with old promo videos.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Benny Five Chins

poo poo but whatever

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

ripptide posted:

My name is ripptide and I'm a dirty leaver. Lurked the SA forums for a while then went into withdrawal when the paywall went up so I joined.

First things first

1. Beer, good to see you still around. May not have always agreed with you on the CIG forums, but always loved your posts

2. Big thanks to Derek for keeping the info going on this on-going shite show and reviewing the emails

3. Thanks Streetroller, between the new ToS and seeing you get your refund, pretty well tipped me off the fence

My process was probably a bit easier thanks to the scare you and some others have put into them. First email asking for a refund, gave them 7 days with a warning I would file with FTC and LA DCBA after that. All I got was the automated CS response ("Please stay on the line, your call is very important to us").

After a week, I still had no response, so I sent a second email, and filed with both the FTC and DCBA.

Funnily enough, I had a response waiting for me on Monday that they were reviewing my account, and by Wednesday they had refunded me over half of the amount. Still fighting with them about that but realistically not too hopeful.

P.S. - BTW, does backer money pay for the multiple shill accounts on this forum? Just curious

drat son on the amount, congratulations and welcome.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

ripptide posted:

First things first

grats

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

ripptide posted:

3700 USD and that's just over half? jesus christ. glad you got over your addiction.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

ripptide posted:

First things first

Fine work Commando

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

make sure you check out the rest of the forums, this is actually a really small subsection despite reddit saying that SA was created to mock SC

Keeping up with this thread takes more time in a day then I should spend on some dead gay comedy forum. But the poo poo is too funny to stop... I'm scared to venture out. If there is more like this, I'll never get laid again...

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

ripptide posted:

First things first

Good on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Holy gently caress the things I'd do with 3700 dollars.

Congrats for getting out. Go on a trip.

Watch a real spaceship take off or something.

• Locked thread