Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Nah it's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

TheAbortionator posted:

I like doing lots of things, but if I was really good at one thing, and the people who paid me for doing that thing were like, "hey you have to do this tell it stops making us money or you go crazy" I probably wouldnt like doing that thing for a long while. Looking it up, touring OK Computer (and this was only after they started filming the doc) it was 104 dates long, and the amount of press they were doing was also way way way more then you would get from them now.

Indeed, and I'm not one of those people who thinks Radiohead look like a bunch of ungrateful dicks in that documentary. Just weird to hear Jonny saying touring's a bag of laughs and always has been, considering Radiohead's particular history.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Radiohead trip report for Madison square garden in NY.

Band super good, crowd super good surprisingly, venue has the worst acoustics of anywhere I've ever seen a band. It was a loving treat to hear Let Down and Street Spirit, the new stuff sounds great, TKOL songs are high quality live, thom sang his heart out, 5/5 would radiohead again tho I hope for a clean recording like the one linked in the thread earlier.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Princeps32 posted:

It was a loving treat to hear Let Down and Street Spirit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBWtQYl6NXM

Definitely one of my favorite songs.

AARO fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 27, 2016

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I'm gonna see Radiohead today at MSG for the first time, so I figured tonight I should listen to the two albums of theirs I'd never listened to in full before, Hail to the Thief and A Moon Shaped Pool.

I didn't like AMSP very much, but I totally see why a lot of people do, and I'm happy with that. For me, that was a difficult record to parse, and I think maybe I'll like it a lot more after a few spins (TKOL grew on me after a bit too, especially Bloom and Lotus Flower). I quite liked Hail to the Thief, though. I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard Backdrifts mentioned more often when people discuss songs, that's a hell of a track, definitely the biggest stand-out on first listen.

As much as I hate the idea of a rock arena show, I'm looking forward to finally seeing them live (though I've been a fan for a lot less time than most of y'all, having heard In Rainbows first). I looked up yesterday's setlist and they played basically all of the tracks I'd want to hear, so I hope there's a decent amount of crossover night-to-night, though I suppose if they drop some of my favorites in favor of rarities I shouldn't complain :)

thought I remembered managing to somehow pull a lower bowl ticket, but it looks like I'm upper bowl to the right of the stage, section 212. Still, I'm just happy I managed to get a ticket for face value, those StubHub prices :captainpop:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 27, 2016

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Nice write-up in USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2016/07/27/radiohead-madison-square-garden-review/87607436/

NEW YORK — With just a few mumbled words and some jittery dance moves, Thom Yorke did the seemingly impossible.

Playing to a sold-out crowd of nearly 20,000 ecstatic fans at Madison Square Garden Tuesday night, the grizzled Radiohead frontman took what is perhaps the band's most despondent album yet, A Moon Shaped Pool, and rendered it onstage as one of the year's most invigorating, can't-miss live shows. Running through almost the entire album (their ninth, released in May), the British rockers tested new arrangements that only got looser and more frenetic as they played: turning the anxiety-riddled Burn the Witch into a blazing stadium anthem, and the volatile Ful Stop into a head-nodding groove, which eventually erupted in a flurry of blistering guitar licks and crashing drums.

Despite plunging deep into Pool for much of the night, Yorke also sprinkled plenty of familiar favorites into the two-hour concert — a move that should continue to delight fans as Radiohead plays Madison Square Garden again Wednesday, and two more shows at Los Angeles' Shrine Auditorium next month. Among the highlights was In Rainbows opener 15 Step, which had Yorke skittishly darting across the stage to its syncopated rhythm. It was its first live appearance since Radiohead started playing European festivals earlier this summer. Kid A cuts Everything in its Right Place and Idioteque were markedly stripped down and sped up, as Yorke used a looping pedal to hypnotically live-mix and distort his vocals.

After some hushed "thank you's" from Yorke, and casual waves from keyboardist Jonny Greenwood and bandmates, Radiohead left the stage to roaring cheers, but returned just a few minutes later for no less than two encores. The first of which culminated in Rainbows' deflated Nude (a soaring vocal best from Yorke) and Bodysnatchers, which was easily the loudest, most rollicking performance of the night. While some concertgoers may have crossed their fingers for an appearance by Creep or the rarefied True Love Waits during the second, Yorke instead opted for the more subdued Bloom and Street Spirit (Fade Out) to send off the devoted just as the clock hit 11 p.m.

Tuesday's concert consisted primarily of hardcore fans wearing shirts emblazoned with the band's toothy-bear logo, as well as a thoroughly engaged mix of twenty- and thirtysomethings, who politely kept the waving smartphone screens to a minimum. Overall, the hits-heavy show is a welcome stateside return for Radiohead after a four-year absence, and should play well to broader audiences as Radiohead hits festivals including Lollapalooza and Outside Lands this next month.

Set list:

Burn the Witch

Daydreaming

Decks Dark

Desert Island Disk​

Ful Stop

Lotus Flower

The National Anthem

15 Step

No Surprises

Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief

Separator

Planet Telex

The Numbers

2 + 2 = 5

Everything in its Right Place

Myxomatosis

Idioteque

Encore #1:

Let Down

Present Tense

Paranoid Android

Nude

Bodysnatchers

Encore #2:

Bloom

Street Spirit (Fade Out)

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Wait hang on, they played Let Down? They've not done that for a very long time...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

That set list :allears:

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Also the new, condensed, dirty 80's synth version of Everything In It's Right Place is probably the best I've heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0sgToDcO-w

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Princeps32 posted:

Also the new, condensed, dirty 80's synth version of Everything In It's Right Place is probably the best I've heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0sgToDcO-w

No After The Gold Rush intro, no deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSirbhN6z3s

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Wife got my surprise ga tickets, literally at the show now, pretty drat excited.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
that was a great show! like my ideal Radiohead setlist is still probably "all of In Rainbows and then some hits" (I wasn't going to concerts in 2008, okay :negative:) but they played everything I felt liked I needed to hear, including the best Radiohead song, Reckoner. Looking at yesterday's setlist, I feel like the only things I really missed out on were 15 Step, National Anthem, Paranoid Android, Nude, and Bodysnatchers... which I reckon I'll get to see a decent chunk of if I see Radiohead again :)

full setlist for anyone curious:

quote:

Burn the Witch
Daydreaming
Decks Dark
Desert Island Disk
Ful Stop
My Iron Lung
Climbing Up the Walls
Morning Mr. Magpie
Pyramid Song
Bloom
Identikit
The Numbers
The Gloaming
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
Everything in Its Right Place
Idioteque
There There

Encore:
Give Up the Ghost
Let Down
Present Tense
Planet Telex
Karma Police

Encore 2:
Reckoner
Creep

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 28, 2016

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Sorry you had to sit through the gloaming, bud. Speaking from experience reckoner and weird fishes are so good live. I would probably give my left nut to see present tense in person

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

The Gloaming is amazing live.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Show was real drat good, favourites were weird fishes, gloaming, idioteque, pyramid song, uhhh all of it I guess.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Was i the only one who thought that the air conditioning blasting like crazy on the lower bowl killed a lot of the atmosphere? Going to avoid seats at MSG in the future. But yes, the show was great, the second half in particular.

HaveARottenDay
Aug 5, 2013

68k posted:

The Gloaming is amazing live.

:agreed:

Awesome show last night. Didn't expect bloom to be as good as it was live. There There had me giddy lol, wish I was closer though, was in section 212.

Speaking of section 212, which two of you goons were drinking from gold chalices next to there.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Still interesting to see Street Spirit still at the end of their setlists after all these years. I wonder if it still emotionally drains Thom.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

abraham linksys posted:

I quite liked Hail to the Thief, though. I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard Backdrifts mentioned more often when people discuss songs, that's a hell of a track, definitely the biggest stand-out on first listen.

Backdrift owns, Hail to the Thief owns, aaaaaa.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Probably Magic posted:

Probably Magic posted:

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Still interesting to see Street Spirit still at the end of their setlists after all these years. I wonder if it still emotionally drains Thom.

I'm almost positive this was the last song the first time I saw them back in Salem, OR in 1998. I thought at the time, what a perfect song to end the show and it was!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

hosed up if true: http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/07/malia-obama-skipped-radioheads-set-at-lollapalooza/

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Title - Malia Obama skipped Radiohead’s set at Lollapalooza

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

wow an 18-year old black girl opted to see Future instead of Radiohead, who'd a thunk it

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

wow an 18-year old black girl opted to see Future instead of Radiohead, who'd a thunk it

it's disgusting

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Uh future loving owns

Also lmao if you get mad at something like that. Showing your age

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wanted to shoot myself when U2 gave away their last album and tons of kids were like 'WTF is U2 and why is this poo poo on my iPhone?'

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

IceAgeComing posted:

Wait hang on, they played Let Down? They've not done that for a very long time...
Seriously, this has been the one song I've most hoped to see them play live, and I was starting to think they had just given up on it. Super excited.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wanted to shoot myself when U2 gave away their last album and tons of kids were like 'WTF is U2 and why is this poo poo on my iPhone?'

Why would young people give a poo poo about U2?

Times change. u2 is for olds

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was mostly depressed they didn't even know who U2 was.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I think it's good that young people don't know who U2 are.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I wonder what Malia Obama's favorite R.E.M. album is

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

TOOT BOOT posted:

On that note, a co-worker of mine had no idea who Beck was when I excitedly told her I bought tickets to an upcoming show.

She looked up Loser and said she never heard it before. :negative:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

my condolences on your oldness

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Osheaga was 10x better than night 2 in NYC, goddamn that was transcendent.

Gifts for Audiophiles
Dec 10, 2005

Anonymous John posted:

Osheaga was 10x better than night 2 in NYC, goddamn that was transcendent.

I saw Radiohead play Creep for the first time in Canada since 1997. A good show.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
the guitar in identikit ruins the song

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Caught Radiohead last night in LA.

Amazing.

There was a cool pre-party\buy yo' merch\start drinking before doors which was a nice way to get people in early and keep the lines down due to there being no physical tickets being distributed beforehand.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

:grin:

robodex fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

that looks like some chill beach music you got playing there my dude