Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That's a weird coincidence. Which drivetrain?

Mine's a 3.6 AWD. I wanted a 3.6 RWD premium for the magnetic ride control and LSD but the closest one was 450 miles away and it was kind of an urgent problem as my S60R had started quietly telling knock-knock jokes. Fortunately it only did so when cold or reved above 5k so the dealer didn't notice.

You got the fancy version. Mine is the standard 2.0t with AWD with a few options like the premium sound/CUE.

It actually has less doodads than the Buick Verano turbo I traded in (sounds dumb, but I'm going to miss the heated steering wheel the most) but it's AWD, makes more hp, handles better, and looks bad rear end, so I'm happy.

Abe Froman fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
im going to pull my sdub out of its grave this weekend

i cant remember what was wrong with it so this should be fun

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

fingerling posted:

Four door sedan you say?

Insurance for this guy is around $1,600/y with an agreed value. Checked how much they were for the more powerful, more expensive Toyota Supra. Motherfucking $1,200/y. Considering I know a bunch of people personally who have written them off, it's understandable but ugh.

Turn 30! My insurance went from $1200 AUD a year to $700 for an agreed value well over what I could sell the car for but the right amount if I wanted to replace it.

Meanwhile, It is finally back after its rear ending... It came with a wing which wasn't on it before but its not too audacious?

book
Nov 29, 2014
Recently went to an ISF meetup at Daytona. You never realize how mediocre your stock car looks until you see it next to modded cars lol.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
a nuclear explosion of pussy shrapnel

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Coilovers are go:
Parts

Front

Rear

Overall

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 29, 2016

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

No. 6 posted:

Overall

Looks good. Really like that color, too.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

It's been great except for a rattle in the driver seat and a defective windshield which cracked 3 days in.

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 29, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I got a new $500 shitbox Forester to replace the red one because the red one's safety inspection is due in 1 month and there is no way it's going to pass, and no way it's safe enough to drive either. Rust giveth, and rust taketh away... actually it mostly just taketh away.

It's no thing of beauty to be sure but it had a clean title, a lot less rust (and no structural rust that I could find) than the red one, the door seals actually almost work since it hasn't been wrecked 3x by the previous owners (one frontend and two side collisions, resulting in a charmingly hourglass shaped body that left a 1/2" airgap between the doorseal and the sill on the passenger side) and also has a lot less other problems. For instance, the transmission, rear diff, rear wheel bearings, and rear brakes are all functioning optimally, rather than being utterly shagged out. It also doesn't have a broken windshield, severe structural rust, and the seats are a bit more comfortable. It needs a few minor things (clutch hydraulics, driver side mirror, battery hold down strap, rear wiper motor, license plate lamps, headlight adjustment, new HVAC blower switch, brake bleed, a little rust repair) but almost all of them are stuff I can pillage off the red one before cutting it up for scrap this weekend.

That brings the shitmissile fleet to:
1998 XJ - needs to be parted out, cut up and scrapped
1991 MJ - needs to be parted out, cut up and scrapped
2000 Forester - needs to be parted out, cut up and scrapped
1980 Datsun 720 - sell to a goon
2001 Forester - keep until Justy is ready for DD status, then sell or scrap
1988 MJ - keep
1958 M54A2 - keep
1994 Justy - keep
1988 MJ - pick up from friend who has had it in his yard for years
19xx MYSTERY VEHICLE - pick up from friend

I have too many goddamned cars

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

No. 6 posted:

a detective windshield

How many cases has it solved?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

PenisMonkey posted:

How many cases has it solved?

Hah. Fixed it, smartass.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

No. 6 posted:

It's been great except for a rattle in the driver seat and a defective windshield which cracked 3 days in.

Dont let them replace it with the dogshit aftermarket brands of glass, Saint Goban Sekurit or Carlex. I have had both and they have been very very chip and crack resistant.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
That is some very awkward sentence structure.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MetaJew posted:

That is some very awkward sentence structure.

haha I read it 4 times and I'm still not sure what he meant.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 15, 2022

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

book posted:

Recently went to an ISF meetup at Daytona. You never realize how mediocre your stock car looks until you see it next to modded cars lol.

Super jelly. I've run across 2 other IS-F's here, and neither of them wanted to talk to me about their car. They were stock so I don't even know if they understand what they have.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
The dream car is a Ford Edge SUV! I love this thing so much!

book
Nov 29, 2014

savesthedayrocks posted:

Super jelly. I've run across 2 other IS-F's here, and neither of them wanted to talk to me about their car. They were stock so I don't even know if they understand what they have.

It's hard to imagine an owner not knowing what they have. But maybe there are some oblivious old people who bought it and never lay into the accelerator. There are no ISFs in my immediate area, but the other owners I've met have been great. The Club Lexus ISF forum is super helpful as well.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I pulled up to a SGM E90 M3 today at a light and looked over and said to the dude "Hey, nice car" - he was like 'Oh hey than--" and then registered that mine was the same but 2 doors, and laughed. Thumbs up were shared.

Definitely a lot of waves & pleasant chatter in the casually-met-on-the-road M community in SoCal.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

No. 6 posted:

MOPAR!

I'm so glad I got rid of my Abarth after a year, that thing was a loving turd.

I do really like that color though.

Dodgy Graphite
Jan 25, 2011

I JSUT WANTED TO BBE A MODERATOR

A3th3r posted:

The dream car is a Ford Edge SUV! I love this thing so much!

wassup lars

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

I love big hardtop coupes :allears:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Now that's paper. Have you found baller spec futuras yet!!!

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Bape Culture posted:

Now that's paper. Have you found baller spec futuras yet!!!

Not yet op, need to do maintenance spec spending before trying to find a few k for new wheels

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Pillarless = dope af.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pillar-less coupes :gizz:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Also, bugger you for making me look up 8's for sale.

They're dangerously buy-able around here. (Keeping it running notwithstanding :v:)

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 31, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I would be hard pressed to choose between a 928 or an 8-series for my 90s luxo-coupe, never ending maintenance headache, gonna-go-broke-keeping-it-on-the-road fix.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Don't forget the Mercedes-Benz 560SEC. The most affordable of the three (in Canada) oddly enough.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Absolute perfection. More!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Big, fast euro coupes are the best.

C70 T5M (1 of 135 sold in the US, 603 worldwide)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I tested a 2011 E550 coupe; there was a ton I liked but the seats were not one of those things. Buns of sore-rear end steel.

E: For those in the know, are 840s "not-as-bad-as-850s-but-still-put-you-in-the-poor-house" machines?

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 31, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Terrible Robot posted:

Is that yours? I didn't know T5M C70s were that rare, I had one in a color that had to be 1-of-a-couple, at most.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Sweet car. Color + palm trees in background make this. Please enjoy your cocaine responsibly.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Terrible Robot posted:

Also sweet car. Finding a manual Volvo that's newer than a 850 is a pretty miraculous find, and a T5 as well. :cheers:

Washed mine.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 31, 2016

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

meatpimp posted:

Is that yours? I didn't know T5M C70s were that rare, I had one in a color that had to be 1-of-a-couple, at most.

Yep, found it on craigslist earlier this year for a price too good to pass up. I didn't realize how rare it really was until I got it home and started doing more research. It has had some work done to it by the original owner, father-in-law of the PO, who for once was not a moron and did everything properly and really, truly seemed to love this car. With the tune it has I estimate the power output to be around 285-290hp and 310ft-lbs, enough to make it "lose your license without trying hard" fast, especially with the manual transmission.

Was yours Saffron Metallic, that beautiful burnt-orange? IIRC they only made a thousand or so of those. If it was a hardtop T5M in Saffron with the 18" BBS wheels (like the ones on mine) that would've made it maybe the rarest C70 sold in the states period.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Also sweet car. Finding a manual Volvo that's newer than a 850 is a pretty miraculous find, and a T5 as well. :cheers:

Thanks, I really love it, literally been one of my dream cars since I saw the first ads for them in a car magazine when I was 8 years old.

I also have a 5 speed transmission waiting to go into the 850 T5 wagon. Manual Volvos best Volvos

e; interesting factoid: the rarest Volvo ever sold in the US is the 2000MY V70 T5M, of which only 3 were imported.

edited for accuracy of factoid

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 1, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Terrible Robot posted:

Yep, found it on craigslist earlier this year for a price too good to pass up. I didn't realize how rare it really was until I got it home and started doing more research. It has had some work done to it by the original owner, father-in-law of the PO, who for once was not a moron and did everything properly and really, truly seemed to love this car. With the tune it has I estimate the power output to be around 285-290hp and 310ft-lbs, enough to make it "lose your license without trying hard" fast, especially with the manual transmission.
Nice. It was a fun car to drive, but with the lowered suspension, it turns like a goddamned boat.

quote:

Was yours Saffron Metallic, that beautiful burnt-orange? IIRC they only made a thousand or so of those. If it was a hardtop T5M in Saffron with the 18" BBS wheels (like the ones on mine) that would've made it maybe the rarest C70 sold in the states period.

I don't know the name of the color anymore, but it was unique. As rare as could be, I imagine. (Edit: Cassis Pearl... damned rare) I bought it from the original owner who did a Swedish delivery and had a bunch of ipd stuf put on. It was a great car, but I had it at a bad time... when I was shuttling around my 3 year old boy around all the time and a coupe was problematic.

Edit: It was more purple than the red it looks like in this picture.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 31, 2016

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

El Scotch posted:

I tested a 2011 E550 coupe; there was a ton I liked but the seats were not one of those things. Buns of sore-rear end steel.

E: For those in the know, are 840s "not-as-bad-as-850s-but-still-put-you-in-the-poor-house" machines?

I won't pretend to be an 8 series knower since I've owned one for 4 days now, but the 8 is cheaper on maintenance mostly because it has 4 less cylinders and 1 less battery / ecu etc, but the rest is just as expensive. It's the electronics that fail on these things, rather than the mechanicals (allegedly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

meatpimp posted:

Nice. It was a fun car to drive, but with the lowered suspension, it turns like a goddamned boat.

I don't know the name of the color anymore, but it was unique. As rare as could be, I imagine. (Edit: Cassis Pearl... damned rare) I bought it from the original owner who did a Swedish delivery and had a bunch of ipd stuf put on. It was a great car, but I had it at a bad time... when I was shuttling around my 3 year old boy around all the time and a coupe was problematic.

Edit: It was more purple than the red it looks like in this picture.

Oh my, yes Cassis Metallic/Pearl is another super rare color, I hadn't ever actually heard of it until I got a sales brochure with a paint sample page in it last week. Beautiful color. The turning radius isn't the best on the P80 chassis (38.4ft) because of the I5 and suspension geometry so parking lots can be a chore but with the passive rear-steering courtesy of the Delta-Link suspension out back (allowing up to 10* toe change under cornering loads) they will still carve some corners.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 31, 2016