Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm in the no degree no certs grouping although I guess I technically have my PCNSE6 but who cares about Palo Alto. If I could go back in time I'd definitely get my MBA tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

The Nards Pan posted:

I'm in the midst of attempting a career change into IT and am currently taking classes at my local community college, which has (as far as I can tell) pretty good labs although I'm still pretty early on in the program. I'm taking the second part of my A+ next week and trying to decide on what cert to go after next. I seem to be pretty good at linux and enjoy it, is linux+ worthwhile? Or would it be better to try to go right to RHCSA? I'm mostly interested in working in some sort of cloud/aws/gce/docker type role.

fake edit: I guess this would be better in the certs thread, but the topic came up here.

Skip Linux+ and go straight to RH*.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sheep posted:

Seconded, skip Linux+ unless you're getting it for free as part of your program. RHCSA/RHCE are the better industry certs.

And I'd definitely encourage you to stick with Linux if you like it! It's very hard to find good Linux people, and companies will pay accordingly.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

I'm in the no degree no certs grouping although I guess I technically have my PCNSE6 but who cares about Palo Alto. If I could go back in time I'd definitely get my MBA tho
That's exactly where I am. Easy to get to where I am with no degree and no certs, but I know the MBA would be good. Not really worth going all the way back to get it though. I feel like I can put that effort into other areas of personal development and get similar results at this point.

edit: all other things being equal, I would hire someone with a linux+ cert over someone without it, but it's probably better to invest that effort elsewhere.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I have a BS in Aviation, minored in Physics. I'm a goddamn commerical pilot! But that life sucks, better to work IT and buy your own plane.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

DigitalMocking posted:

No degree, I went the military route, its opened a lot of doors in my career, more than any degree would have.
Military and school here. Ooh baby, gettin paid.

ptier posted:

Virginia Tech - BS Computer Engineering
Great degree, poo poo school. Go Cavaliers.

Docjowles posted:

For what it's worth I asked this exact question like 2 years ago and my favorite serious answer was Lead System Administrator (or Engineer if you prefer). But that was when I was at the team lead level implementing directives like "we are buying a shitload of Cisco UCS. Make it work well". If you're actually architecting the whole drat thing soup to nuts, go with an Architect title.
That's wild, your team lead experience is identical to mine, down to the same project. My guys are doing a big Cisco UCS install right now - the first one for a few of them. I sent them a bullet pointed list of about 25 items, you want to do this, this and this. Make sure to ask the Cisco rep about this. Have them do this for you. Then do this. If you need me, call me. My role was basically just get them going on it, and I'm here if they get stuck, but other than that, they can get right on gettin on.

I do tend to avoid engineer as a title because I feel like that's getting co-opted a bit by that kind of upper level helpdesk slash computer janitor role. Systems Engineer, ie I fix your computer.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inspector_666 posted:

Tufts University.

Harvard (extension), B.A. History. :brofist:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sepist posted:

It sucks that all the AACSB-accredited programs on LI are so damned expensive. I started my MBA at LIU/CW Post back around 2009 and stopped after a single class because I ran out of money after I had to redirect it all to saving for my wedding. I'm sure that $3,000/course has only gone up substantially since.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Docjowles posted:

Seconded, skip Linux+ unless you're getting it for free as part of your program. RHCSA/RHCE are the better industry certs.

And I'd definitely encourage you to stick with Linux if you like it! It's very hard to find good Linux people, and companies will pay accordingly.

I think it's probably harder to find for home grown mc* than Linux now but then I don't work for tiny msp companies.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh god we're all History majors aren't we? :ohdear:

19 credits left on mine with an emphasis on ME history. Yay history

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

CloFan posted:

I have a BS in Aviation, minored in Physics. I'm a goddamn commerical pilot! But that life sucks, better to work IT and buy your own plane.

if only you had lived with this degree in the 90s, my dad was a commercial pilot make 120K+ a year and he was smart/lucky and did early retirement for a HUGE payout shortly before september 11th (the airline industry was headed in a bad direction management wise anyway) and that caused what pilots refer to as a "Pay Shortage"

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

jaegerx posted:

I think it's probably harder to find for home grown mc* than Linux now but then I don't work for tiny msp companies.

mc*? like MCSE, etc?

Sheep posted:

Docjowles posted:

Thanks for the input. Being well paid would certainly be nice, but I'm mostly just excited to do something more interesting than what I'm doing now.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

The Nards Pan posted:

mc*? like MCSE, etc?
Yeah, they're a lot harder and rarer now.

However, I will say that, as someone with an MCSA on his way to an MCSE, they're also borderline useless at this point. I spend so much of my time studying Hyper-V material that I would refuse to implement, and OS functions and features that no one is using.

e: Okay "borderline useless" is too strong, but the point stands, there's a lot of information on these tests that I'm never going to need. Contrast with the VCAP that I'm vaguely working towards - everything I learn towards that end feels like it's making me a stronger sys admin.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 29, 2016

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

VMware certs are the new hot poo poo but you really need an understanding of the os. You can easily bust out all the aws certs in 2 months if you try hard.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I too have a bachelor's in drinking and women's study from Party School U. At least my degree is a bachelor's of science and somewhat technical. I've thought of going back to school for a masters but I don't think it would help me in this field unless I wanted to get into management.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Great degree, poo poo school. Go Cavaliers.

Yea I'll take my engineering degree from my highly ranked engineering school any day over those bow-tie wearing fools. Even if the physics department was in and out of accreditation when I was there. :boom:

Edit: they are both really good and I would work for either one if I could move later in life in a heartbeat.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
My undergrad degree was in a foreign language, albeit from a school with excellent foreign language and international studies programs.

I'm getting a master's in systems engineering partly for the interdisciplinary content and also so I can get a PhD and go do research if and when I get bored with the whole IT thing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Langolas posted:

19 credits left on mine with an emphasis on ME history. Yay history

Sup fellow history major crew :sun:

Edit: Oxford University, if we're comparing colleges. Mine was built about half a millennium before your country even existed so suck it :colbert:

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 29, 2016

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Vulture Culture posted:

It sucks that all the AACSB-accredited programs on LI are so damned expensive. I started my MBA at LIU/CW Post back around 2009 and stopped after a single class because I ran out of money after I had to redirect it all to saving for my wedding. I'm sure that $3,000/course has only gone up substantially since.

Huh you're in long island too? I think that's three of us regulars to this thread now. You could probably take it online - I remember a few years ago WGU was all the rage in sh/sc

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Actually went to Wright State University in Dayton (or right state, wrong university as we like to call it) and got my degree in Social Studies education with additional concentration in Sociology and Psychology. I like to think it helped me in IT, because I apparently work for, with, and around a lot of man-children. Social Studies is still pretty close to a History major, so add another one to the group for whoever's counting.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Can confirm the fortune 10 company I recently got hired for who are aggressively insourcing IT talent pooled from people with all sorts of degrees- engineering, math, CIS, MIS, CS, etc. All that mattered was STEM, high gpa and interpersonal skills.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I got my BS in Information Technology at WGU, working on an MBA with IT Management concentration at SNHU.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

a cop posted:

Can confirm the fortune 10 company I recently got hired for who are aggressively insourcing IT talent pooled from people with all sorts of degrees- engineering, math, CIS, MIS, CS, etc. All that mattered was STEM, high gpa and interpersonal skills.

Still a dumb policy. A while back, two successive companies refused to hire me because I didn't have a STEM degree. Two more came along, didn't give a poo poo, and each offered me 40k more than the other two (both of which were already offering me less than what I was currently making). Anecdotal, yeah, but it just reinforced my opinion that good companies don't let checkboxes stop them from recruiting.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

psydude posted:

Still a dumb policy. A while back, two successive companies refused to hire me because I didn't have a STEM degree. Two more came along, didn't give a poo poo, and each offered me 40k more than the other two (both of which were already offering me less than what I was currently making). Anecdotal, yeah, but it just reinforced my opinion that good companies don't let checkboxes stop them from recruiting.

I don't have a degree at all, and at this point I don't think it would help me either unless I wanted to move into management; and even then I might just move into management anyways where I am at which would then allow me to get a management position at other companies.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Sup fellow history major crew :sun:

Edit: Oxford University, if we're comparing colleges. Mine was built about half a millennium before your country even existed so suck it :colbert:

CompSci/Maths from Staffordshire, a '92-era shithole. Currently working with people with degrees in physics, compsci, law, and an ex-BT engineer/taxi driver.

An acquaintance who worked in the NOC at NASA got the job with a creative writing degree.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

psydude posted:

I should have mentioned that my example was sort of a special case, as they were specifically seeking X% new college grads as a part of their hiring strategy. The rest are experienced hires. Just meant to say that yeah, degree can definitely help.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Semi Annual review day. 119% utilization rate for the first half of the year (THAT's why my wife has been annoyed with me :ohdear: ).
The up side is being named Principal Consultant :jotj: bump in pay, commission on billables retro'd back to the start of Q2. Action items: Better work life balance.

Also RE: Degree talk. Hard Knocks/Military here. Lucked into a few good jobs at the start and climbed my way up. Degrees are not required, but they certainly can help make things easier.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
B.S. Aeronautical and astronautical engineering from U of Illinois. M.S. electrical engineering from the Navy Postgraduate School.

Do I win the degree war?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Degrees are very good and useful, especially STEM degrees. People who whine about them and say they aren't, usually don't have one.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Degrees are very good and useful, people who whine about them and say they aren't, usually don't have one.

Or have one in something not fully useful such as History and want to use the degree directly and give up when nothing requires a "History Degree" Even though you could get into several fields just by showing you can see things to the end and that you have a willingness to learn on the job.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Degrees are very good and useful, especially STEM degrees. People who whine about them and say they aren't, usually don't have one.

People who have STEM degrees generally over-inflate their worth and how useful they are.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Degree doesn't matter except for getting in the door or if you want to go into management.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I only have an AS because of a bunch of poo poo that happened while I was at a university that led to me having to drop out. It makes me sad every time I see a classmate on LinkedIn with a programming job, especially since it's getting to the point where they are all moving into intermediate positions.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Degree doesn't matter except for getting in the door or if you want to go into management.

Getting in the door was the context that began this whole conversation, but I'd say they are also very helpful from a soft skills standpoint and working with teams from design through deployment. Depending on the degree anyways...it's often night and day as far as soft skills go with the CS vs CIS people here. Makes me a lil sad since they are obviously skilled dudes but it's clear how it'll hinder them in the corporate world.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sepist posted:

Huh you're in long island too? I think that's three of us regulars to this thread now. You could probably take it online - I remember a few years ago WGU was all the rage in sh/sc
Yeah, I'm on LI, but temporarily relocating to Watertown (ugggggggghhhhh) for about six months while my wife finishes up her midwifery clinicals.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

a cop posted:

Getting in the door was the context that began this whole conversation, but I'd say they are also very helpful from a soft skills standpoint and working with teams from design through deployment. Depending on the degree anyways...it's often night and day as far as soft skills go with the CS vs CIS people here. Makes me a lil sad since they are obviously skilled dudes but it's clear how it'll hinder them in the corporate world.

I mean soft skills are just another skill to pick up and if you don't have them it's just as bad as if you were poo poo at coding/networks or w/e. Just never stop learning stuff in general.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I mean soft skills are just another skill to pick up and if you don't have them it's just as bad as if you were poo poo at coding/networks or w/e. Just never stop learning stuff in general.

Yeah totally. I was just looking at it from a 'first IT job' perspective.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I literally just found out I have a stem degree. Nobody has ever cared but I guess it's good to know.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

I literally just found out I have a stem degree. Nobody has ever cared but I guess it's good to know.

You...forgot you had a degree? Do you have some kind of catastrophic brain injury?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

CLAM DOWN posted:

You...forgot you had a degree? Do you have some kind of catastrophic brain injury?

I have a CBI caused by too many stupid tickets