Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

ruta posted:

But they never do. I always sort of thought Graces had a pretty decent story for the first third of the game or so. I mean, the child arc dragged, but the arc thereafter was pretty good for a Tales story. Then it was like the writers just got tired of making GBS threads on Asbel, or didn't know how to make the story go in that direction, so it basically is just the team meandering around for the entire game and Pascal takes over more and more of the story. Which I didn't really mind. The cast was cute and the combat was great, and I'd love to play it again but I can't find my Japanese copy and non-Sakurai Asbel hurts my soul.

Yes- Tales games always have issues with endgame, but it felt in Graces that basically everything after Richard is crowned is a different game than before, and enters the 'this is rushed and characters are caricatures now' place. It's a pity because I LOVED the child and the Richard getting crowned arc.

It felt like the whole thing where Asbel was an rear end in a top hat who only thought of himself and Sophie was lost in childhood land and Richard was a bitter man from being betrayed by Asbel and all those he loved, as well as Hubert/etc arcs... it felt it was going somewhere.

And no :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here's a rip of burn on somebody's tumblr

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 29, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

[url=http://minoath.tumblr.com/post/148132987720/flow-burn-mv-short-ver-rip]here's a rip of burn on somebody's tumblr[/url

Quoting the fail, but also, cool and thank you

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

It's no White White Light or Meaning of Birth but it's a lot better than whatever the gently caress the Xillia games got saddled with.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope you're not making fun of the rejected 90's Gundam show op Xillia got

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

those songs were by one of the most popular singers in japan

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arkeus posted:

Yes- Tales games always have issues with endgame, but it felt in Graces that basically everything after Richard is crowned is a different game than before, and enters the 'this is rushed and characters are caricatures now' place. It's a pity because I LOVED the child and the Richard getting crowned arc.

It felt like the whole thing where Asbel was an rear end in a top hat who only thought of himself and Sophie was lost in childhood land and Richard was a bitter man from being betrayed by Asbel and all those he loved, as well as Hubert/etc arcs... it felt it was going somewhere.

And no :(

So you're saying Malik's re-entry into the party marked the end of the good part of the story?

The Hubert arc does play out well at least.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh god, how long has that Tales mobile game been out?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh god, how long has that Tales mobile game been out?

A bit. It's fun. Get in before the GE collaboration happens. It's a game changer apparently.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Eizen ad on Sunday and the demo on Wednesday, it feels like it's going to be a good week.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What game is Mill and the giant dog she apparently rides around on from???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

What game is Mill and the giant dog she apparently rides around on from???
who???

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Maybe they're playing the mobile game that has a bunch of randoms?

Or maybe Mill is from one of the mobile games or spinoffs?

Never heard of Mill either.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Tales of Link, as far as I can tell.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh yeah, tales of link has tons of random filler characters, you only get to the characters who are actually from tales games at rank 3 or higher

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh boo, I thought she was from a proper game since she was on the loading screen

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

you only get to the characters who are actually from tales games at rank 3 or higher

You can see where they got confused.

Generic idol girl is also four stars. :shrug:

Honestly a rider in modern Tales - even X/HR style Tales - would be pretty interesting. I don't think I ever really got Anise. Maybe she could dismount and the dog would start using the same behavior as X's link partners? Or even just an extended Teepo OFF type of deal.

e: oh my god there are so many four and five star original characters, not even including actual Link plot characters or those goddamn birds.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 29, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i'd just make it like nakoruru/rera in samurai shodown where the animal follows them around and attacks for some of their artes, and then they can mount it to get a different moveset where they attack together

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also do the 4/5 star OCs have lower level equivalents? It might be a case where they were the original characters that were the most popular so they gave them higher rank versions.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah that's what I was thinking, you could mount and be a heavy or dismount and dump raw power for bonus attacks. Or the dog could do other stuff, like defend you the way link followers do, or, like, pick up items or steal or something, in exchange for being worse at smashing things.

Endorph posted:

also do the 4/5 star OCs have lower level equivalents? It might be a case where they were the original characters that were the most popular so they gave them higher rank versions.

Some of them, which are probably that, but there are a lot of 4 stars that are just there. I think there are more 4 star OCs than 3 star OCs total.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 29, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Malik is cool and my friend

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

The Colonel posted:

Malik is cool and my friend

Cheria automatically gets +20 cool points for getting Indignation

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm up to maybe 70% of an almost reasonable guess at the BURN lyrics but the holes feel like important parts.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 30, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm glad that i'm apparently coming up on the part where graces f introduces pascal. i loooove the combat, but sophie is having a hard time holding up asbel being really boring without malik and i haven't really spent enough time with richard to know whether he's funny or not.

i'm gonna be honest, the combat gets really loving good after the childhood arc ends but i think plotwise it might have gotten a little bit worse just because i've started getting fatigued of the lhant/barona areas and asbel keeps getting one-upped by much more interesting characters, most of which end up popping out a little bit after meeting them

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

graces f doesn't have a good plot, it just has a good cast and asbel

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah, i'm not so much looking for a part where the plot gets good as much as i'm waiting for the part where sophie, pascal, malik, hubert and pretty much everyone else completely steal the spotlight

asbel is a mopyface

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe 12ish hours in?? once the characters actually get on the road it's kind of just a world traveling adventure where sometimes the villain pops out of the ceiling

if you're looking for a particular segment where i realized graces was the funniest rpg, wait for the rockgagong

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Graces' plot has a job and does it fine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think graces has a better plot than vesperia :twisted:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

i think graces has a better plot than vesperia :twisted:

drat... better wear gloves if you're gonna handle a take this hot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

granted part of that is vesperia's plot absolutely ruining the gameplay for a like ten hour stretch where your only healer is freaking karol

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Vesperia is one of those RPGs that has two different plots that don't go together very well and the one that loses is more interesting by virtue of being personal and small-scale.

This is also true of Graces but the first plot has the courtesy of dying early so it can get on with business. Vesperia's strings you along.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also at least graces's two plots sort of click together. There's clearly something up with Sophie from the start, for instance. So when it transitions into being about that, it feels a little more natural.

In Vesperia Duke is a minor NPC until suddenly he's the most important guy in the world.

And I still don't know what the Adephagos even is. Not even on a conceptual level, but like, on a pure physical level, I don't know what the thing looks like. Even when it shows up in project x zone it's just a big ball of nothing.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah, that's the thing. In Graces there is at least the throughline of "Asbel wants to take care of Sophie." Vesperia is about Yuri's idea of justice until it suddenly isn't and he's every other RPG hero with a cooler outfit. The most you can say is that it's all about Estelle? Graces doesn't have much but it has more than that.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

eh vesperia's story goes off the rails big time, but it's actually decently interesting until then, which i think overall is quite a bit better than just consistently uninteresting (which is how i'd describe graces)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think it's supposed to be about how Yuri feels it's perfectly okay to kill the few for the good of the many, right up until the person who needs to die for the greater good is Estelle. After which he realizes what a fool he's been and grows into a more proper heroic archetype who saves the world in the proper way. Except they skip the part where he acknowledges this in any way, and it's pretty easy to make a distinction between the assholes he was killing before and Estelle, the embodiment of innocence who also happens to be a cosmic keystone.

Sometimes I wonder if they cut out some middle point on his path where he killed someone who wasn't an rear end in a top hat, which could have helped tie the narrative together better, but would've also made the main character less sympathetic.

Edit: Oh wait, I guess he killed the Guildmaster too, technically, but the circumstances there were pretty different.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 30, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

eh vesperia's story goes off the rails big time, but it's actually decently interesting until then, which i think overall is quite a bit better than just consistently uninteresting (which is how i'd describe graces)
i guess my other thing is that vesperia's story actualy gets in the way of the gameplay constantly once you get into the back half of it, while in graces it's just 'yeah here's your party, forever, have fun' for like 90% of the game

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

i guess my other thing is that vesperia's story actualy gets in the way of the gameplay constantly once you get into the back half of it, while in graces it's just 'yeah here's your party, forever, have fun' for like 90% of the game

i haven't played vesperia recently enough to really comment on that since i remember the broad strokes but not really granular details like being annoyed at absent party members or whatnot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the 'killing someone who isn't an rear end in a top hat' thing is super weird because yeager is a villain with somewhat reasonable motivations who raised gauche and droite like his own daughters, and yuri killed him, but the consequences of that are locked away in a sidequest and the end result of it all is 'maybe... get over your dead dad?' 'gently caress off' 'gently caress off, but in a satomi arai voice' 'please?' ' fine' 'fine, but in a satomi arai voice'

Cake Attack posted:

i haven't played vesperia recently enough to really comment on that since i remember the broad strokes but not really granular details like being annoyed at absent party members or whatnot.

estelle is gone for like ten hours and getting rid of the player's main healer is so not fun, especially since the game's two secondary healers both kind of suck at the job. and raven vanishes for a bit too.

i imagine this is a big reason why both flynn and patty can heal in the ps3 version

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
So the thing is that Graces' plot is not a world plot. It's a plot that sets out to do one thing, and that's to provide a stage to put pressure on Asbel's principle of duty to family and friendship. This understandably does not resonate with people who feel that it's a dumb question and are not willing to hear the writing out. The same thing happens with Destiny 2 and bootstrapping, Rebirth and "it's what's inside that counts," Hearts and empathy, Xillia 2 and sacrifice, or Zestiria and mercy killings.

Sure, Vesperia has a theme (mostly) but it's much more about its setting. Many RPG players will prefer a well-drawn world and that's fine. I'm not even saying I prefer the morality play model, I'm just trying to recognize it.

The issues of Graces' character balance and Vesperia's plot structure are separate.