Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
$22 Foodsavers on Meh today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Does anyone know if the eu anova sale is coming back, or maybe has a discount code to share?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm so torn. I'm cooking some thick rear end ribeyes (~2# each) for a celebratory dinner and i can't decide if i wanna Ducasse them or SV to 127 and rocket sear on my cast iron + turkey fryer.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

toplitzin posted:

I'm so torn. I'm cooking some thick rear end ribeyes (~2# each) for a celebratory dinner and i can't decide if i wanna Ducasse them or SV to 127 and rocket sear on my cast iron + turkey fryer.

The latter then drop a pat of warm butter on them after the last flip.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 22, 2016

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Compound butter for bonus points.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

And garnish with duck fat fried chicken skins.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

bonds0097 posted:

That's not how that works at all. You're not connecting directly to the Anova.

You connect the Anova to your Wi-Fi network and that way it's transmitting to the Internet (via Anova servers). You should then be able to connect to it from your phone any time you have access to the Internet (via the app). Sometimes it can take a minute for the app to pick up on the cooker and it takes several seconds for commands to transmit (start/pause, etc).

Make sure that when you're at home, you're actually able to see it via Wi-Fi, in the app you should see a wi-fi symbol above the cooker vs. a bluetooth symbol. If all you have is bluetooth, then obviously you won't see it on the internet.

There might be a few bugs on this. I had the cooker set to 145 and drove to work. After I arrived I saw a notification that said it was at temp (but it had reached it beforehand). Then I saw it set to 188 F and reset the timer for some reason. I set it back and headed home to dump some ice in there. By the time I reached the car the app had set to 188 again. My best guess is that it doesn't handle network changes very well since it looks like it reset when I switched from home wifi to cellular and work wifi to cellular.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 23, 2016

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
^ The Anova app, at least on Android, is definitely hit-or-miss for connectivity sometimes. That said, any time I'm out of the house and decide I want to preheat my water, I'm able to do so, so no complaints I guess.

^^ Speaking of simple toppings for steaks and such, I've really fallen in love with fried shallots.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do you all just leave your circulators on and in a bin of water all the time, or something?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nah, waste of electricity

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Honestly the WiFi is mostly a gimmick. It is cool to have recipes in an app that activates the nova, but it makes 0 sense to preheat when away from home. If you use hot water from the sink with 1 or 2 kettles of boiling water your can reach a high temperature really quickly, I do that instead of pre-heat when nobody is home.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Hopper posted:

it makes 0 sense to preheat when away from home. If you use hot water from the sink with 1 or 2 kettles of boiling water your can reach a high temperature really quickly, I do that instead of pre-heat when nobody is home.

I don't understand your argument. Get home, water is hot. Versus get home, refill container, boil two kettles of water, and then water is hot. Sure, you can argue the latter is 'easy enough,' at least for you... but that the former makes zero sense?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Did kenji's 130f pork tenderloin and then used the bag juice/butter/cream/white wine/red onion for a sauce

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What did you sear with?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Used a stainless steel pan since my cast iron wasn't big enough to get 2 tenderloins on at the same time

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Used a stainless steel pan since my cast iron wasn't big enough to get 2 tenderloins on at the same time

Get it hotter next time. You got a pretty big gradient there.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, agreed go way hotter and turn it ever 10-15 seconds for a maximum of 1 to 1.5 minutes total, otherwise it get too warm

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i was basting it with butter with a red onion and a bunch of herbs in near the end and was worried about burning them/overcooking it.

Bit pointless considering i made a sauce in the pan afterwards so won't make that mistake again

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've made pork tenderloin before but the texture still never seems right, and difficult to get a nice sear so I stick with grilling em.

And I just tried kenjis recipe for spare ribs and that was a complete waste of time. I'll stick to using my bge. Weird texture @ 152* for 24hrs, smokey flavor just wasn't there and the crust wasn't right either.

I think after all the various sous vide recipes I've tried I really only like it for steak, poached eggs and creme brulee. I'll keep trying but most things are a disappointment imo.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Try making paté sometime. I made a chicken liver paté and it came out amazing.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ha, talked to the local butcher today and asked whether I could preorder organic chicken breast because I wanted to cook them pink in a water bath on Saturday and didn't want to buy today. "Pink?" she asks, then her face changes and she smiles and says "oh you mean like sous vide? Do you have one of them devices?" We chatted a bit about how it works and stuff and when I said I needed four she winked at me and said "I'll trim off the excess fat, wash 'em and vaccum them individually if you want".
(which perfectly suited my purpose cause I want to run a test with no spices and different temperatures)

best.service.ever.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Made some of the serious eats sous vide corned beef with a 3lb flat brisket I got at a local butcher. 1 week dry brine with spices, salt and Prague powder in a bag in the fridge then I strayed from the recipe and sous vided it for 48 hours at 60 Celsius. Rested in the fridge for a couple of days then steamed and sliced thin for Reubens with some homemade sauerkraut. Very tender, amazing flavor pretty similar to the smoked meat I usually enjoy, maybe a touch saltier. A+ will make again, maybe smoke with a spice rub for pastrami next time.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

large hands posted:

Made some of the serious eats sous vide corned beef with a 3lb flat brisket I got at a local butcher. 1 week dry brine with spices, salt and Prague powder in a bag in the fridge then I strayed from the recipe and sous vided it for 48 hours at 60 Celsius. Rested in the fridge for a couple of days then steamed and sliced thin for Reubens with some homemade sauerkraut. Very tender, amazing flavor pretty similar to the smoked meat I usually enjoy, maybe a touch saltier. A+ will make again, maybe smoke with a spice rub for pastrami next time.

I posted a big sous vide pastrami writeup in the charcuterie thread if anybody's interested.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Man I did a cheap supermarket pre-brined corned beef for St Paddie's day this year in my puddle machine and even that turned out tremendous. Even when I was sober eating leftovers the next day.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

large hands posted:

I just finished mine too! I didnt stray from the recipe, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. I'll probably try your temp and time on the next one though.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Symetrique posted:

I just finished mine too! I didnt stray from the recipe, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. I'll probably try your temp and time on the next one though.

Yeah I normally never mess with a recipe the first time but I read enough reviews from people who got better results from low and slow that I didn't mind this time

Chemmy posted:

I posted a big sous vide pastrami writeup in the charcuterie thread if anybody's interested.

That looks great although it seems strange to smoke it before bagging and cooking

large hands fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 28, 2016

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Thinking of dropping £300 on a chamber vacuum sealer. Mostly to seal and freeze foods (make a lot of chilli, sauces, soups). But guzzling too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-Chamber-Machine-270x415x410mm-Commercial/dp/B017DYD9LM

Is a chamber vac worth it over a foodsaver? Has anybody got this model?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Can't comment on the chamber sealer but I freeze soup by freezing it in a silicone mold then popping the soup cube out of the mold and vacuum sealing that using a traditional sealer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I SV in a 16qt Cambro, which I leave full for both convenience and conservation reasons. My current non-wifi Anova takes a fair while to get it up to even fish temps, let alone vegetables. Are there higher-power ones that people recommend?

I saw https://www.amazon.com/VacMaster-SV1-Sous-Immersion-Circulator/dp/B00HFDPM6W at 1500W, but other than its questionable aesthetics I don't know much about it.

I should add that I'm in Canada, and would rather not run a dryer plug to my counter.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Subjunctive posted:

I SV in a 16qt Cambro, which I leave full for both convenience and conservation reasons. My current non-wifi Anova takes a fair while to get it up to even fish temps, let alone vegetables. Are there higher-power ones that people recommend?

I saw https://www.amazon.com/VacMaster-SV1-Sous-Immersion-Circulator/dp/B00HFDPM6W at 1500W, but other than its questionable aesthetics I don't know much about it.

I should add that I'm in Canada, and would rather not run a dryer plug to my counter.

Why not just throw some water in a pot on the stove, or if you have one, the electric kettle to help bring water to where you need it to be?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I use hot sink water or boiled water.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Hot sink water is convenient enough. If conservation is a big concern, you can wait until the water cools afterward and then use it on your vegetable garden (or whatever).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anne Whateley posted:

Hot sink water is convenient enough. If conservation is a big concern, you can wait until the water cools afterward and then use it on your vegetable garden (or whatever).

I'm not too poxed about conservation but drat wish I'd thought of that for the houseplants, I just kept pouring the puddler water down the sink :saddowns:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

qutius posted:

Why not just throw some water in a pot on the stove, or if you have one, the electric kettle to help bring water to where you need it to be?

Yes, if I want to use additional water every time I have many options. I'm asking about higher-power heaters because I would rather not.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
My Polyscience gets to temp fast and holds high temps easily.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, if I want to use additional water every time I have many options. I'm asking about higher-power heaters because I would rather not.

Huh. Pouring half of the water into a stockpot and putting it on the stove for ten minutes and then putting it back in the SV basin seems like a pretty easy answer, but I don't know if you're trying to minimize gas or water usage or what. Is there a water shortage condition where you are? SV sticks seem pretty good at heating up small volumes of water and keeping them at temperature, but a quick shot of hot water from the tap or a boost from a pot on the stove seems more efficient. Is there something I'm missing?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hogmartin posted:

Huh. Pouring half of the water into a stockpot and putting it on the stove for ten minutes and then putting it back in the SV basin seems like a pretty easy answer, but I don't know if you're trying to minimize gas or water usage or what. Is there a water shortage condition where you are? SV sticks seem pretty good at heating up small volumes of water and keeping them at temperature, but a quick shot of hot water from the tap or a boost from a pot on the stove seems more efficient. Is there something I'm missing?

There is a water shortage condition where I was (California), but I'm also lazy and lugging around a full 16qt Cambro to dump half of it in a pot (plus detaching/reattaching circulator) is annoying.

Thanks, upthread goon, for the Polyscience recommendation. I'll check it out. I'll also consider not being lazy.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
No offense, but buying a new viddler because you can't be bothered to preheat/change/refill water in your tub is a very expensive solution to being lazy.

Out of curiosity, where is your tub locate? Doesn't a tub constantly full of water take counterbalance?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's on the kitchen counter, I'm not sure what you mean by counterbalance. It's quite solid there with 14+ kg of water in it.

I do appreciate your concern for my finances, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I'm also in CA so I only dump out my water every 3 months or so when it starts looking sketchy.

Honestly, the slowness of the newer anovas is only a mild annoyance I think... sous vide is already a slow process so what's an extra fifteen minutes? I've found it's still quicker than boiling a pot of water (which only ever takes you a small part of the way anyway). Then again I don't do veggies so I rarely go that hot. Make sure you have a lid so you're not bleeding heat.