Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Raul Mendoza was the best. Loved his moves and he was doing such crazy poo poo that I really thought he might win against THE Brian Kendrick. Hope to see him again. Anthony Bennett impressed too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Bennett's gimmick is great but I thought he was very meh in the ring

Raul Mendoza was really good I'd like to see more of him

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bennett was better than I thought he would be, but I thought he would be the greenest guy in the competition so that's something. Really looking forward to the 2nd round where there's only one competitor who sucks, but is likeable anyway so it doesn't matter.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Bennett's gimmick is great but I thought he was very meh in the ring

For real. All his goofy entrance charisma disappeared the moment the match started - compare to someone like No Way Jose, who's pretty green but a complete joy to watch due to his in-ring character work

Also I just wanna note that my previous favorite thing about the CWC so far, "Tozawa's first round performance", has been eclipsed by "Zack Sabre Jr. causing people to freak out, in 2016, about professional wrestling not actually being a very good combat strategy"

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Anyone who doesn't like zsj has bad and wrong opinions on wrestling and I am sorry for you

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Platypus Farm posted:

What? No, I hated ecw and basically won't watch hardcore wrestling because it's stupid. He hosed it up by making the guy stand on the turnbuckle for a minute, and then once the other guy said he was okay, the announcers were like "oh he said he's okay" and then he continued to lay there for a turnbuckle spot. It was terrible storytelling. If he was hurt, which he obviously was, just end the match. If he wasn't hurt, make them go to opposite corners and restart, even if the match only lasts ten more seconds.

The CWC is booked like a shoot tournament, so stuff like that screws it up.

I don't know understand why you think he should've separated them. In the UFC, if the referee calls a stop to the action while one fighter is in a dominant position for any reason other than the dominant fighter having committed a foul, the match is of course restarted with the one fighter still in a dominant position.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Bennett didn't get a chance to do any flippydoos which was weird because in the video package for him he was doing some.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

EL BROMANCE posted:

Really looking forward to the 2nd round where there's only one competitor who sucks, but is likeable anyway so it doesn't matter.

i acutally think taijiri is pretty good in the ring

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jenny Angel posted:

For real. All his goofy entrance charisma disappeared the moment the match started - compare to someone like No Way Jose, who's pretty green but a complete joy to watch due to his in-ring character work

Also I just wanna note that my previous favorite thing about the CWC so far, "Tozawa's first round performance", has been eclipsed by "Zack Sabre Jr. causing people to freak out, in 2016, about professional wrestling not actually being a very good combat strategy"

My favourite thing is TBK's masteful performance in turning a crowd pre-disposed to like him, even moreso after cutting a total babyface promo, and getting them to boo him vociferously, AND having it still make sense with the aforementioned promo.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I loved that match cause it proves that good old fashioned heel tactics still work very well. The whole CWC has been such a refreshing return to the basics of wrestling.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Gaz-L posted:

My favourite thing is TBK's masteful performance in turning a crowd pre-disposed to like him, even moreso after cutting a total babyface promo, and getting them to boo him vociferously, AND having it still make sense with the aforementioned promo.

Hell yeah. We're 3 for 3 on great main events so far, but this week's was the only one where both guys were very much pulling their weight

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I can't get over how heartstring-tugging the 'Without wrestling... I'm just livin'..." line was, and how it totally played into the story, where Kendrick NEEDS to win this thing because it's his last shot, and he will do ANYthing to make that happen.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
As my first experience with Sabre, I was really happy to see some of that kind of action. The technical graps is my favorite style so I'm all about it. It definitely didn't seem like a great showcase for how deep his talents go, though, but I'm definitely ready for more.

Wasn't much impressed with Bennett, but bummer about him looking like he got hurt legit. Seemed to me like his knee wasn't liking the way Nese was whipping the dude around. Nese seemed like a fun Neville-type but I wonder if messing up a guy's knee in the first match might not look good for him.

Super happy to see Kendrick again, he and Mendoza put on an excellent show.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Apparently Nese has already signed a contract, so if he worked unsafe it wasn't unsafe enough

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
Well, there have been two reported possible injuries thus far, that being Mustafa Ali's neck and the other being Anthony Bennett's knee.

I guess since the 450 is very likely to hit anywhere from the chest to the knees, it wasn't a bad idea to check up on him before letting Tony Nese do it.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I'd forgotten how great The Brian Kendrick is, it's been so long since I've seen him wrestle. It's pretty impressive for a smark favorite coming back with a huge nostalgia pop to get the crowd to totally turn on him by the end of the match to the point which they're cheering some luchador they've never heard of before. Of course Mendoza helped it along by being loving great. That cloverleaf spin was amazing and I'll never not mark out for the Coast 2 Coast.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

IcePhoenix posted:

Reminds me of when Mankind was using the mandible claw and people constantly wondered why the other guy wouldn't just bite down

Being stupid kids, we tried out all of the moves when wrestling each other growing up. The mandible claw loving HURTS. You can't even think about wanting to bite someone. I remember it being very unpleasant.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Between ZSJ's diapers and Jack Gallagher's high-ridin' undies the Poms need to sort out their trunks game.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Between ZSJ's diapers and Jack Gallagher's high-ridin' undies the Poms need to sort out their trunks game.
I also like that ZSJ's music sounds like a remixed version of Justin Gabriel's theme.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its a non copyright infringing soundalike of this:

https://youtu.be/0QpkuxPJ-8A

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Shout out to Kendrick for turning heel during the match and to Mendoza for winning the crowd over real good.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Mons Hubris posted:

Ok it finally showed up. I don't get Zack Sabre Jr. If he's going to put you in a submission while you're standing up, just walk to the ropes. His style just requires too much suspension of disbelief.

My wife caught this episode with me and said "How come the one guy is just letting the British guy do whatever he wants? Why doesn't he just move or something?"

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Wait, I got Bennet and Neece's names confused. Bennet kinda sucked and Neece really rocked.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Nese, and yes, he rocked. I can see why they hired him. I just hope they also pick up Mustafa Ali.

Edit: Speaking of which, found an interview from a few days ago: http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/732...ercoaster-video

AMReese fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 31, 2016

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
friendly reminder that Brian Kendrick thinks that the sun is actually cold

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i disagree but respect his opinion

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I disagree and don't respect his opinion because it's stupid.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't see the Bollywood Boys going very far since they came in as a tag team, but I do hope they get signed as a tag team. Their gimmick is a great fit for WWE's tag division.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

My favourite bit is when they say they don't want to be a stereotype but then call themselves the bollywood boyz and come out to Punjabi MC and do a bollywood dance

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Skarsnik posted:

My favourite bit is when they say they don't want to be a stereotype but then call themselves the bollywood boyz and come out to Punjabi MC and do a bollywood dance

They said they don't WANT to be.

Tiger Ali Singh didn't WANT to just put on the loving turban!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Skarsnik posted:

They said they didn't want to be the usual Indian stereotype and do something different with it. The Indian stereotype in the media is often turban-wearing, flying carpet-riding, cow-worshiping, curry-eating yogis with big beards and pointy mustaches. Bollywood is much different from that stereotypical portrayal.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That's not the stereotype over here in the slightest, in fact it's exactly what they are doing, but if that's what it is in america land then fair enough I guess

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

India stereotype in both Hollywood and in pop culture has long been equated to Apu from The Simpsons. Bollywood is still unfamiliar to us.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
I want the Bollywood Boyz to get signed but only if they actually bill them from Burnaby and not India

E: I will also accept Richmond or Surrey

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Their gimmick needs to involve honour killings and somehow constantly reference dead bodies in the Ganges.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
They need to breathe fire and teleport around and stretch their limbs to smack people across the ring. That's the true Indian stereotype that I know.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011

C. Everett Koop posted:

They need to breathe fire and teleport around and stretch their limbs to smack people across the ring. That's the true Indian stereotype that I know.

The true powers to learn from the master, DDP

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Not the Benoit tribute Raw. What a rip off!
https://twitter.com/WWE_Network_Bot/status/759827119547506688

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The Benoit tribute Raw was just clips from his DVD mixed with people talking about him, wasn't it? Were there any actual live matches?

Skarsnik posted:

That's not the stereotype over here in the slightest, in fact it's exactly what they are doing, but if that's what it is in america land then fair enough I guess

I mean by wrestling standards. I guess the exception is Khali, but if he wasn't huge enough to trigger Vince's big man boner he'd have been in a tag team with Jinder called the Flying Carpets and their entrance theme would be Tunak Tunak Tun because Vince only just saw the video a week ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

checksin posted:

I want the Bollywood Boyz to get signed but only if they actually bill them from Burnaby and not India

E: I will also accept Richmond or Surrey

I can't remember the last wrestler to get billed from anywhere in BC, so all of these would be cool, unless they overshoot east and hit Chilliwack or something.

The music might be more important. Since WWE almost certainly wouldn't license their ECCW theme, my fantasy pick would be something from Dan the Automator's Bombay The Hard Way. For them and everyone else on the roster, actually.

• Locked thread