Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

every time i see the P+W eagle i groan loudly now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Wait, did they really put into production a fighter without an internal gun... again? Have we not already learned that lesson?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You see, JDAMs have made strafing obsolete. Guns are no longer necessary for effective CAS.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was curious so I looked it up. According to Gizmodo, the F-35B and C literally don't have the space in the fuselage for a gun but the gun pod ruins its stealth features, so they made it optional.

So the answer is "Marines".

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

You see, JDAMs have made strafing obsolete. Guns are no longer necessary for effective CAS.

Score one for the USAF preempting the "USAF doesn't care about CAS" argument.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Yep, Air Force gets the internal gun in the wing root with a cute little flappy pop up panel in front of the muzzle.

Marines and and Navy get the "stealthy" gun hemorrhoid pod.

This fuckin plane. :shrug:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Doesn't it still need a software or firmware update or some poo poo for the internal gun to work? I thought th[/url]ere was a big bugaboo about that for a while.

e: found an article about it http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/31/new-u-s-stealth-jet-can-t-fire-its-gun-until-2019.html

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 29, 2016

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Everything about this loving plane is a clusterfuck. :wtc:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Da share z0ne is making t shirts now, cool.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I just saw that shirt on the DnD pic thread. Do other countries have service folks that have that big of a boner for their job?

Are there Germans with three skulls in bandanas or French guys wearing the GIGN equivalent of a Tap-out shirt?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Beastie posted:

I just saw that shirt on the DnD pic thread. Do other countries have service folks that have that big of a boner for their job?

Are there Germans with three skulls in bandanas or French guys wearing the GIGN equivalent of a Tap-out shirt?

If they aren't I sense an opportunity to make a lot of money

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

"Aren't you worried that Hillary's gonna stretch out the Presidential shirts with her honkers?"

"Absolutely not."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soDG0276JEs

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

They don't get diameter vs. length, huh?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I love it when the news just totally blows it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They fixed her story but she hasn't changed the tweet :allears:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/533645/ministry-for-defence-gun-million-trident-conservative-weapons

https://twitter.com/MargiMurphy/status/758775069623611393

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I don't believe in research, I'm just here for the headlines.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Pesticide20 posted:

Doesn't it still need a software or firmware update or some poo poo for the internal gun to work? I thought th[/url]ere was a big bugaboo about that for a while.

e: found an article about it http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/31/new-u-s-stealth-jet-can-t-fire-its-gun-until-2019.html

Yeah but that's actually normal. The whole thing was a non-issue from an aircraft development standpoint, the only real :stare: -worthy part was the USMC declaring it operational as insanely early as they did (for political reasons).

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Beastie posted:

A lot of NZ regulars have deployment T-shirts, Grunt lyfe hoodies, etc, but I've never seen anyone wearing in a civilian context or with deliberately provocative slogans. Maybe it happens around the big regular force bases.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Beastie posted:

I think the most I ever saw in Australia were those Major League Infidel hoodies but guys got crucified if they were caught wearing those in public.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Am I too old or do I just not "get" Da share z0ne? Are they just making fun of moto bro poo poo or what?

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
Da share z0ne says what we're all thinking, but with cool 90s skeletons as backdrops, whats not to get?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
ah maybe I just haven't seen enough of them / dismissed them offhand cause of skulls and a badass font.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Gun trucks were the coolest thing.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Yeah but that's actually normal. The whole thing was a non-issue from an aircraft development standpoint, the only real :stare: -worthy part was the USMC declaring it operational as insanely early as they did (for political reasons).

reminder that the USAF is going to declare IOC this year using the 3i OPF, which has the same weapons capes as the 2B that the USMC fielded with (go go GBU-12!). Although to be fair it is quite a bit more stable than 2B, and the 3i tails will at least have Tech Refresh 2 processors....so at least the USAF won't need to upgrade the processors on their tails to be 3F (FOC OFP) capable, unlike the Marines.

Also ALIS still doesn't work, so if the USAF is going to actually hold to their original requirements for IOC it's unlikely to make it before the threshold value of Dec '16. But lol if you think they'll do that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You're probably right, but if they wanted they could hold off without major repercussions at this point.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Syrian Lannister posted:

Gun trucks were the coolest thing.

Hey lets just bolt a M113 body onto the bed. :unsmigghh:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Chinatown posted:

I instantly envisioned two gunners standing like they're hugging, heads tilted to the side so that they can see, and arms stretched out on the guns.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

You're probably right, but if they wanted they could hold off without major repercussions at this point.

"without major repercussions" in the real world...yes. But busting threshold values means an APB breach, and that means bigwig PEOs have to go explain why they screwed up. So I am confident that they will be formally declaring IOC before the end of the year, even if the aircraft itself wouldn't be deployed in combat until well after 3F is fielded a couple years down the road.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I could have sworn I saw something about 20x102mm being kind of a poo poo cartridge when compared to the 25mm that gets slung by the bushmaster and GAU-whatever gatling guns and all the flavors of 30mm NATO uses and that there was a push to move away from it. IIRC it wasn't even an issue of bigger is better so much as the ballistics and destructive power for the size of the vulcan cartridge were just bad. I know the F-22 has a vulcan cannon but the gun has been built into the plane forever at this point and may have been stuck in there before they decided to switch to something else.

There any truth to that?

Regardless, Rotate Russian Rotaries

bij fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 30, 2016

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

The quad 50 on the duece & a half was insane. Of course if the M134 wasn't a giant piece of poo poo back then, you know they'd have mounted a bunch of those on trucks too. Now that Dillon has unfucked the design and made it into the Mk44 you get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3jAh5eGxjc

and if 7.62 isn't good enough, well, there's the GAU-19 now, for .50cal hatred

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1VMHQzwDwc

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Initial scheduled maintenance on the GAU19 at 35, 000 rounds seems pretty low for something that fires so fast, is that a long time for a weapon system like that?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

diarmuidqq posted:

Initial scheduled maintenance on the GAU19 at 35, 000 rounds seems pretty low for something that fires so fast, is that a long time for a weapon system like that?

It's not bad. Scheduled maintenance just means "here, use Gun 2 while we inspect Gun 1, and Gun 1 will be ready in like 6 hours". Crew served weapons don't require a whole hell of a lot of maintenance.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
how would you clear a jammed 50 in a quad setup?

also "meat chopper" is the best name for that setup

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Chinatown posted:

how would you clear a jammed 50 in a quad setup?

sports

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Uhhh no it's a crew served, so POPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Chinatown posted: