Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Nah he's Kastrop

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah I think Trunicht is more like W Bush.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Patter Song posted:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms spoiler:

Liu Bei is now Cao Cao's deeply reluctant junior ally, following their coalescing to take down Lu Bu, and Liu Bei is under what amounts to house arrest at the Imperial Palace, where he is conspiring with his cousin the Emperor to maybe someday murder Cao Cao. At the meeting between the two warlords, Cao Cao asks Liu Bei whom he thinks are the great heroes of the land. After Cao Cao dismisses all the men Liu Bei suggests (Yuan Shu is just for show, Yuan Shao is an indecisive fool, Sun Ce is an unproven child, Liu Zhang is effeminate and artsy, Liu Biao is an empty name, etc.), Cao Cao declares to Liu Bei that the two of them are the only true heroes in all of China. This powerplay terrifies Liu Bei, because it tells him that Cao Cao sees him as his one true rival and thus high on Cao Cao's to do list to remove, but Liu Bei is saved by a sudden flash of thunder, so he can blame his visible terror on the lightning. Liu Bei, a washed-up loser much like Yang at this point, is still on Cao Cao's list of heroes. Even the man on top realizes that his defeated adversary is a worthy foe and one that could rise again to challenge him.

Romance the Three Kingdoms, the book, is fantastic, and I think its influence on LOGH might be more subconscious (Tanaka's drawing most of his direct inspiration from European history) but it is definitely present.

The 2010 TV adaptation, Three Kingdoms, is pretty brilliant. 95 episodes of 45 minutes each. They tell the entire thing from the Yellow Turban Rebellion all the way through to the rise of the Jin Dynasty. This is their version of that scene:
https://youtu.be/NYHYqpqrpL0?t=1518

Hell I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Legend of Galactic Heroes, it's a true epic.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

my dad posted:

(I just negotiated with you long enough for the sun to start shining in your army's eyes, sucker.)

This post right here convinced me to check out Romance of the Three Kingdoms (2010) and I'm on episode 13 and it's as incredible as advertised. I'm very, very tempted to - when I finished it, which will be a while - to go back and rewatch LoGH and see if I can't keep the stamina to watch past episode 50 this time! - I love both shows, but they're rather focus intense and you've got a bazillion characters to keep track of.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

This post right here convinced me to check out Romance of the Three Kingdoms (2010) and I'm on episode 13 and it's as incredible as advertised. I'm very, very tempted to - when I finished it, which will be a while - to go back and rewatch LoGH and see if I can't keep the stamina to watch past episode 50 this time! - I love both shows, but they're rather focus intense and you've got a bazillion characters to keep track of.

They even have the same sorta "first appearance of named characters on a scene/episode get a little title card" thing, which is really drat helpful given how many characters both have.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Is it hot in here, or is it just Reinhard von Lohengramm Feeling the Bern?

quote:

Speaking of assets, there were whispers lately of an impending financial crisis due to the prolonged war and the chaos at court. But when Reinhard said, 'The fiscal crisis will be resolved in one fell swoop,' he wasn't simply shooting his mouth off irresponsibly. The imperial family's assets aside, there remained a vast source of untapped wealth: the assets of the nobles.

Naturally, he would confiscate every last thing that Duke von Braunschweig and Marquis von Littenheim owned; nor would he spare those who had joined themselves to their cause. And once he applied a regime of inheritance taxes, fixed asset taxes, and progressive taxation to those nobles who remained, the treasury would overflow with monies easily exceeding ten trillion reichsmark. The trial calculations had been completed already.

There would be a political necessity for gentler treatment of those nobles who sided with him, so from that perspective, the more nobles who made him their enemy, the better.

Squeezing the nobles dry would do more than simply meet the empire's fiscal necessities. The common class had amassed a five century store of anger and hostility towards those who hlived immersed in extravagant lifestyles and held vast fortunes on which they paid no taxes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That has more to do with the treasury than with the state of the imperial economy.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
"There would be a political necessity for gentler treatment of those nobles who sided with him, so from that perspective, the more nobles who made him their enemy, the better."

Classic Reinhard.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Bucock meets an old friend:

quote:

From somewhere among the several men surrounding him, there drifted a stench of stale alcohol.

"Humph, I remember that smell." The white-haired commander-in-chief turned a bitter gaze on the source of the odor. "Rear Admiral Lynch, captured by the Empire at El Facil some years ago."

"I'm honored you remember," Lynch replied with slurred laughter.

"Much as I'd like to forget, that isn't possible. After all, you abandoned your duty to protect civilians...you abandoned your responsibility to the soldiers under your command...and you tried to escape to safety by yourself...Oh, you're a celebrity.

Lynch didn't look like his feelings were hurt. He accepted these biting words with a faint smirk and then, with a flourish, pulled out a small bottle of whiskey, unscrewed the cap, and took a swallow from it. The officers surrounding him, genuine asetics, frowned at him with furrowed brows. That Lynch's compatriots held him in contempt was plain to see, and Bucock was at a loss to explain what a man like him was doing in their ranks to begin with.

So...why did the coupsters let Drunky McTraitor into their ranks?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Patter Song posted:

They needed a drunky coupster for his drunky power

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

StrixNebulosa posted:

By far my favorite episode of Three Kingdoms is episode 61. Absolutely stellar acting, every little thing you know about the characters involved helps you understand exactly why they're doing what they're doing, yet it's almost impossible to predict what will happen next, and with a scene that manages to be the single most tense moment in the entire series. It also gives a character who is an incredibly vile schemer (and is not charming about it like Cao Cao is) a chance to show a side of his personality you have to end up respecting, without making him any less of a vile schemer.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Because when he showed up, he was carrying an incredibly brilliant plan, and he took credit for it.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Well this thread got me hooked on yet another long running epic series. I hope you're all happy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Good news, it's been finished for many years!

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Thread should be titled "More people should watch Three Kingdoms"

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Now we need a Three Kingdoms thread,stat! Or,if one already exists, a link to it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Now we need a Three Kingdoms thread,stat! Or,if one already exists, a link to it.

But is it anime enough for ADTRW?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
is there a legal way to watch three kingdoms in english, and if not is that 480p version of the fansub the only english version in existence?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pomp posted:

is there a legal way to watch three kingdoms in english, and if not is that 480p version of the fansub the only english version in existence?

To the extent of my knowledge, no, there isn't a legal way. To answer your other question, try googling Jiang Hu Three Kingdoms and seeing what turns up.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

StrixNebulosa posted:

I know this may come as a shock to some people, but there are SA forums that aren't ADTRW. :v:

Scrabble Tournament
May 17, 2006
MY OLD-ASS AVATAR URL BROKE THE ADMIN PANEL, THANKS RADIUM

Pomp posted:

The Jiang Hu group only ever released that 480p version. Don't believe any links claiming to have a 720p version of that sub. Apart from an unreadable Google Translate job I ran into, it seems to be the only English sub out there.

edit: The official DVD comes with reportedly awful English subs.

Scrabble Tournament fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 31, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

StrixNebulosa posted:

If ADTRW can handle a failed J-drama thread or two every couple of years it can handle a Three Kingdoms thread.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Chocobo posted:

Thread should be titled "More people should watch Three Kingdoms"

I'm convinced. Need something to wash away the shittiness of Marco Polo.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Anything on the level of Three Kingdoms but about Japan? That'd fit ADTRW.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I mean, I guess I might eventually make a thread about the show in a relevant forum if nobody else does it, but I have no idea what I'd put in the OP.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

StrixNebulosa posted:

To the extent of my knowledge, no, there isn't a legal way. To answer your other question, try googling Jiang Hu Three Kingdoms and seeing what turns up.

Until I saw your post and figured, "Why not?" I thought that all of this Three Kingdoms talk was about the recent (09/10?) Romance of the Three Kingdoms anime.

So thanks. I'm probably going to look into watching this now that I know it's not.

e: this one http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10698. Though I don't know if it's any good or not either.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 31, 2016

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I've watched two full TV versions of ROT3K: the 2010 Chinese TV series and the 1991-1992 Sangokushi anime. (One of these days I might watch the 1994 Chinese TV version).

The anime is pretty decent, though it shows its age, and has the rather critical downfall of ending at the Battle of Red Cliffs, AKA the halfway point of the story. (In fact, by ending where it did, it technically doesn't reach the actual Three Kingdoms period)

It's interesting to hear all the Japanese names of the characters. Rather than Liu Bei, styled Xuande, you get Ryubi, styled Gentoku, etc.

EDIT: The 2010 Chinese series has one annoying flaw: it starts in medias res at the start of Chapter 4 of the book. The Yellow Turbans have already been suppressed, the eunuchs have already killed He Jin, Dong Zhuo has already seized control of the court and deposed the fat older prince in favor of his younger brother, Yuan Shao has already raised the flag of rebellion, and Liu Bei has already failed as magistrate in charge of Pingyuan County.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 31, 2016

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Maybe Trünicht was to society what a cancer cell could be to the body—consuming the healthy cells’ nutrition so that it alone would multiply, grow stronger and bigger, and at last kill its host. Trünicht would agitate for war one day, insist on democracy the next, and steadily increase his power and influence while never taking responsibility for anything he said. Therefore, the stronger he got, the weaker society would become, until he would finally consume it.

Please buy these books!

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Patter Song posted:

I've watched two full TV versions of ROT3K: the 2010 Chinese TV series and the 1991-1992 Sangokushi anime. (One of these days I might watch the 1994 Chinese TV version).

The anime is pretty decent, though it shows its age, and has the rather critical downfall of ending at the Battle of Red Cliffs, AKA the halfway point of the story. (In fact, by ending where it did, it technically doesn't reach the actual Three Kingdoms period)

It's interesting to hear all the Japanese names of the characters. Rather than Liu Bei, styled Xuande, you get Ryubi, styled Gentoku, etc.

EDIT: The 2010 Chinese series has one annoying flaw: it starts in medias res at the start of Chapter 4 of the book. The Yellow Turbans have already been suppressed, the eunuchs have already killed He Jin, Dong Zhuo has already seized control of the court and deposed the fat older prince in favor of his younger brother, Yuan Shao has already raised the flag of rebellion, and Liu Bei has already failed as magistrate in charge of Pingyuan County.

Where does it stop? Does it go all the way to chapter 120?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

P-Mack posted:

Where does it stop? Does it go all the way to chapter 120?

The story ends at Chapter 115 with a brief epilogue.

So yeah, it covers chapters 4-115 of a 120 chapter book.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you've read Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, the book, the amount the show tones the story down to seem somewhat believable and still manages to be outrageously over the top is hilarious.

Zhuge Liang's famed Three Triagram Trap, the Stone Sentinel Maze, whereby he assembled eight stacks of rocks in a field and that somehow magically trapped the Wu army in a Lost Woods from the Legend of Zelda-style impenetrable infinite maze didn't make the cut.

Most of Zhuge Liang's campaign against the Mang in modern Vietnam is cut, including the most hilarious story in the book.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms Chapter 89 posted:

53 Duo Si said, "In this ravine there are only two roads, the one you came by and another by the northwest. The road you traveled along is level and soft, and the waters are sweet. Humans and horses may both use it. But if we close the mouth of the ravine with a barricade, then no one, however strong, can get in. The other road is precipitous, dangerous, and narrow. The only path is beset with venomous serpents and scorpions, and as evening comes on there are malarial exhalations which are dangerous till past noon the next day. The road is only practicable between two watches before sunset. Then the water is undrinkable. The road is very difficult.

54 "Then again there are four streams actually poisonous. One is called 'The Dumb Spring'. Its water is pleasant to the palate, but it makes people dumb and they die in a few days. A second fountain is called 'The Destruction Spring' and is hot. But if a person bathes therein, his flesh rots till his bones protrude and he dies. The third is 'The Black Spring'. Its water is clear. If it be sprinkled on a person's body, his limbs turn black and presently he dies. The fourth is 'The Weak Spring', ice cold. If a person drink of this water his breath is chilled, he becomes weak as a thread and soon dies. Neither birds nor insects are found in this region, and no one but the Han General Ma Yuan, who was styled General Who Quells the Waves for this exploit, has ever passed. Now the northeast road shall be blocked, and you may hide here perfectly safe from those troops of Shu, for, finding that way blocked, they will try the other road, which is waterless save for the four deadly springs. No matter how many they be, they will perish, and we need no weapons."

55 "Now indeed I have found a place to live in," cried Meng Huo, striking his forehead. Then looking to the north he said, "Even Zhuge Liang's wonderful cunning will be of no avail. The four springs alone will defeat him and avenge my army."

Somehow the show was unable to figure out a way to incorporate crazy horror movie elements.

Also they didn't have Sun Ce confronted by the ghost of a man he killed appearing in a mirror, causing Sun Ce to freak out and reopen his wounds and die.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Patter Song posted:

Somehow the show was unable to figure out a way to incorporate crazy horror movie elements.

Also they didn't have Sun Ce confronted by the ghost of a man he killed appearing in a mirror, causing Sun Ce to freak out and reopen his wounds and die.
Isn't that the truth:

quote:

Sun Quan and his subjects were celebrating their conquest of Jing Province, with Lü Meng receiving the highest honour. During the banquet, Lü Meng was suddenly possessed by Guan Yu's spirit and he grabbed Sun Quan and shouted, "Green-eyed brat! Purple-bearded coward, do you still recognise me?" Sun Quan's subordinates were shocked and immediately rushed forth to save their lord. The possessed Lü Meng shoved Sun Quan away and sat on Sun's seat, with an expression of fury on his face, and he boomed, "Since defeating the Yellow Turban rebels, I've fought in wars for over 30 years. But I lost my life because you used an evil scheme against me. I cannot feast on your flesh while I was still alive, but I can still seize Lü Meng's soul after my death! I'm Guan Yunchang, the Marquis of Hanshou." Sun Quan and the others were so terrified that they sank to their knees. Lü Meng collapsed and died, bleeding from seven body orifices. Everyone was traumatised by the scene they witnessed

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Patter Song posted:

If you've read Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, the book, the amount the show tones the story down to seem somewhat believable and still manages to be outrageously over the top is hilarious.

Zhuge Liang's famed Three Triagram Trap, the Stone Sentinel Maze, whereby he assembled eight stacks of rocks in a field and that somehow magically trapped the Wu army in a Lost Woods from the Legend of Zelda-style impenetrable infinite maze didn't make the cut.

Most of Zhuge Liang's campaign against the Mang in modern Vietnam is cut, including the most hilarious story in the book.

I remember reading that in Vietnam they have the same story about Zhuge Liang's campaign against the Mang, except in their version he loses seven times in a row.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

If ADTRW can handle a failed J-drama thread or two every couple of years it can handle a Three Kingdoms thread.

where's the Mom Is A New Half thread

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'd okay a Three Kingdoms thread so long as it actually generated some decent discussion.

Scrabble Tournament
May 17, 2006
MY OLD-ASS AVATAR URL BROKE THE ADMIN PANEL, THANKS RADIUM
I've been thinking about making a thread, but was planning on posting it in TV/IV. Anyone can feel free to beat me to the punch and post it wherever, though.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I went back to and finished LOGH volume 2.

I noticed two major differences between the book's and the show's portrayal.

1. The book has the "Kid Reinhard kicking the other kid in the balls and beating him half to death with a rock" flashback towards the end of the second book, towards the end of the Lippstadt War, while the show puts it right at the start of Season 1 in Ep 3. As such, it's part of Siegfried's "how things have changed since the old days when we were inseparable besties" flashback, not part of Reinhard's introduction.

2. MAJOR SEASON 1 FINALE SPOILER Reinhard explicitly approves Oberstein's plan to not intervene to stop Braunschweig's destruction of Westerland. Rather than dithering and avoiding making an explicit decision like in the show, Reinhard explicitly gives the thumbs up to let Braunschweig's attack proceed.

Change 2 makes Reinhard a significantly different character.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Kinda sorta makes Oberstein a different character too, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I wonder what sort of books they'll write about Oberstein in-universe. He really is a fascinating character.