Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ugh, this is so frustrating. I want a 24" 1080p IPS, 1ms or really really low response time, with 60 or 144Hz refresh rate. Does this not exist?

e: Weird I just found this. This seems to work, any problems y'all see? It says "WLED/TN" but I guess I can live without the IPS?

jokes fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Ugh, this is so frustrating. I want a 24" 1080p IPS, 1ms or really really low response time, with 60 or 144Hz refresh rate. Does this not exist?

e: Weird I just found this. This seems to work, any problems y'all see? It says "WLED/TN" but I guess I can live without the IPS?

What you are looking for does not exist in a 24" ips format. If youre okay with a TN panel and have an amd card I would get this for freesync:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-UM-FX0AA-001-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B01DHTWZRQ

Or

https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-XG2401-DisplayPort-FreeSync-Technology/dp/B01A0ZRR50

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 29, 2016

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Anybody with an ASUS PG279Q want to offer their experience? After my first XB271HU was defective I'm curious if these have any better QC before I try another one.

I got an open box one from Amazon warehouse when they had the discount and it only had minor back light bleed and one stuck pixel, decided to called Asus anyhow and they did a cross ship with a new one that had been tested for free, even paid my return shipping. Can't complain at all, amazing screen. For $520 I am really glad I grabbed it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

MrKatharsis posted:

Interested in an answer to this. I'm basically in the same spot.

I have an Asus PB278Q which I love. Good color, no backlight bleed that I notice, and smooth enough that I don't notice the input lag. It's price has been ~$400 USD for several years now.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=472#post462433624

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

MrKatharsis posted:

Interested in an answer to this. I'm basically in the same spot.

I was in the same boat and after doing some research I bought a Dell U2715h for $450 from Amazon, and am extremely happy with it. It's a significant upgrade from the U2412h it replaced for me at home, and also noticeably better than the U2712h and (2x) 27" Apple Thunderbolt Displays that I've used at work over the last couple of years.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

blah_blah posted:

I was in the same boat and after doing some research I bought a Dell U2715h for $450 from Amazon, and am extremely happy with it. It's a significant upgrade from the U2412h it replaced for me at home, and also noticeably better than the U2712h and (2x) 27" Apple Thunderbolt Displays that I've used at work over the last couple of years.

Wasnt there refurbs of the Dell U2715H that were like $280? The pb278q can be pretty cheap used as well.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Green Gloves posted:

Wasnt there refurbs of the Dell U2715H that were like $280? The pb278q can be pretty cheap used as well.

Apparently everyone who ordered a refurb U2715h ended up with a U2717D instead, plus no real warranty and a decent chance of getting a monitor that someone had sent back for dead pixels made me pretty leery. I got no dead pixels and am pretty happy with my purchase both quality/value-wise.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

You can get a 1080p LG IPS display (23MP68VQ) at 75hz & 5ms with a Freesync range of 40~75, which means no LFC, but even with an RX480 you're not going to go below 40 fps at this resolution.

Once thing I've heard is that there is slight ghosting.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

exquisite tea posted:

I'm kind of annoyed that there is not a single monitor on the market that is IPS and 144hz and 1080p and G-Sync. There are TN monitors at that resolution, and really pricey 1440p ones that are IPS, but having experienced either extreme for myself I'd really rather have 1080p with a mega high refresh rate than the reverse.

Asus is releasing a new 1080p 144mhz (oc to 180) gsync monitor very soon. It's TN, but 8-bit.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trump posted:

Asus is releasing a new 1080p 144mhz

:shepface:

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

I swear I can see flickering if the refresh isn't measured in megahertz.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Lowercase m means millihertz.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is the Dell s2716dgr not so great? I was just at Best Buy and saw that it was on sale for 200 dollars off ($450 vs $650) and it hits my preferences of being a 144hz g-sync monitor. I'd consider it for that price point, but I am always skeptical whenever something is on sale for that much money off.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I got an Asus MG248Q, if anyone is curious about it - 144hz 24" 1080p TN, supports Freesync/Adaptivesync. It's an updated VG248QE (or whatever the really popular one was). I have it sitting next to an older, smaller IPS and while the image is definitely worse, it's not that bad. 144hz is amazing, though, even for just scrolling webpages and moving windows around. I mainly went with it due to price, functional and low-key bezel+stand, and that my card is an R9 380 so I would have to drop almost 1k for a good 1440p IPS setup and I don't care that much.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is the Dell s2716dgr not so great? I was just at Best Buy and saw that it was on sale for 200 dollars off ($450 vs $650) and it hits my preferences of being a 144hz g-sync monitor. I'd consider it for that price point, but I am always skeptical whenever something is on sale for that much money off.

it's a TN panel

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So is TN just objectively worse than IPS displays or something?

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

For everything except response time and price, yes.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

pretty much yeah. like Infinotize says, if you have an IPS and TN panel side-by-side the difference is stark.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Got an ASUS PG279Q. Minor weirdness with HDMI connection to a Mac aside (it gets detected as a TV and won't run at anything higher than 1080p), it's wonderful.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just save your pennies for the larger monitor. It'll take longer but it'll be worth it.

I think I am going to do that for a sweet 144mHz gaming.

Was gonna hit up 1440 at 27" but 60mHz but I think the extra bit is worth it. First buying a 1070 next week.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

wicka posted:

it's a TN panel

It's possibly one of the best TN panels on the market, and when calibrated correctly, doesn't look much worse at all than an IPS ( at least, compared to the U3415W or P2314H I have). I picked one up this last week and for gaming/web browsing/basic productivity it's great.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Vintersorg posted:

Just save your pennies for the larger monitor. It'll take longer but it'll be worth it.

I think I am going to do that for a sweet 144mHz gaming.

Was gonna hit up 1440 at 27" but 60mHz but I think the extra bit is worth it. First buying a 1070 next week.

I agree on saving up for a better monitor rather than what you can afford right now. Mine was dying and I still did that. Monitors are supposed to take 20 minutes to stop strobing the backlight, right?

I don't agree on the speed of said monitor. Depending on how you look at the units, mHz would be millihertz, which would be stupidly slow.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They probably mean MHz, which is still wrong.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
sorry for this type of question, but since the OP is pretty out of date....

I'm building a new gaming PC and think it's time to finally upgrade from 6+ year old set of 24" asus monitors. New graphics card will be in the range of RX-480 / GTX 1070 (haven't decided yet). I can probably swing $500-600 towards new displays. I can do one of two things: drop all my budget on a single monitor and keep one of the old ones to use as a side display, or spend less and get two new monitors instead. I'm not at all on top of the latest display trends -- I just want to play Witcher 3 and have it look really pretty.

What should I be considering in how to proceed (ie are there benefits to having two newer monitors/potential problems with mixing and matching display types?) and what does the thread generally recommend at each price point (1x~$600 or 2x~$300)?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Erdricks posted:

sorry for this type of question, but since the OP is pretty out of date....

I'm building a new gaming PC and think it's time to finally upgrade from 6+ year old set of 24" asus monitors. New graphics card will be in the range of RX-480 / GTX 1070 (haven't decided yet). I can probably swing $500-600 towards new displays. I can do one of two things: drop all my budget on a single monitor and keep one of the old ones to use as a side display, or spend less and get two new monitors instead. I'm not at all on top of the latest display trends -- I just want to play Witcher 3 and have it look really pretty.

What should I be considering in how to proceed (ie are there benefits to having two newer monitors/potential problems with mixing and matching display types?) and what does the thread generally recommend at each price point (1x~$600 or 2x~$300)?

I did the first thing, got a PG279Q and rotated my 1080 TN panel to my spare. Unless you're gonna do surround gaming, have one nice one and use the other for IM windows/mumble/whatever

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

GokieKS posted:

Got an ASUS PG279Q. Minor weirdness with HDMI connection to a Mac aside (it gets detected as a TV and won't run at anything higher than 1080p), it's wonderful.

Ended up ordering one that just came in today. I love it so far, also way easier to set up and far less bulky than the Acer XB271hu.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Deviant posted:

I did the first thing, got a PG279Q and rotated my 1080 TN panel to my spare. Unless you're gonna do surround gaming, have one nice one and use the other for IM windows/mumble/whatever

That's still a bit out of my price range... What's the current sweet spot for price/value at mid range?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Erdricks posted:

That's still a bit out of my price range... What's the current sweet spot for price/value at mid range?

If you go with the RX480 you can get the Acer XF270HU or Asus MG279Q which are the same as the PG279Q but with Freesync(AMD) instead of Gsync(Nvidia) and about $200 cheaper than the Gsync monitors. With your budget that seems like the best option.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If you go with the RX480 you can get the Acer XF270HU or Asus MG279Q which are the same as the PG279Q but with Freesync(AMD) instead of Gsync(Nvidia) and about $200 cheaper than the Gsync monitors. With your budget that seems like the best option.

Awesome, thanks

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Ended up ordering one that just came in today. I love it so far, also way easier to set up and far less bulky than the Acer XB271hu.

How do you mean bulky? I'm currently deciding between them two but the PG is about 200 dollars more expensive around my parts.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I decided to play the lottery and bought a crossover Korean monitor that has an AUO 1440p ips 144hz panel for about $450. The black levels are great, very minimal bleed, but I had a stuck pixel near the middle of the screen. It's mostly gone away though, and I can barely notice it. I am a bit disappointed that >60 hz is barely noticable though. I guess I fell for the hype...

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I decided to play the lottery and bought a crossover Korean monitor that has an AUO 1440p ips 144hz panel for about $450. The black levels are great, very minimal bleed, but I had a stuck pixel near the middle of the screen. It's mostly gone away though, and I can barely notice it. I am a bit disappointed that >60 hz is barely noticable though. I guess I fell for the hype...

Did you change windows to >60hz? my 165hz is HIGHLY noticable, even in windows.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Yep. First thing I checked was the ufo test. The 30/60 difference is stark for the ufos but 60/144 is nowhere near as big.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Yep. First thing I checked was the ufo test. The 30/60 difference is stark for the ufos but 60/144 is nowhere near as big.

Have you done the frame skipping test?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I don't have a camera good enough, but there is a difference; just not as good as I expected, and honestly I'd rather have gotten a cheaper 60hz one or an ultrawide.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

How do you mean bulky? I'm currently deciding between them two but the PG is about 200 dollars more expensive around my parts.

The Asus is a good 2 lbs lighter and didn't require any assembly right out of the box. Packaging was much slicker and the stand is a bit more compact. I don't think it's necessarily a $200 deal breaker though.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The XB271HU has a newer panel revision with less chance of backlight bleed. The Asus is definitely not worth $200 more, unless you really prefer the aesthetic.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I know IPS is better than TN but how bad are the TN Freesync and GSync panels picture quality wise? I ask cause my price range is around 500 Canadian which means TN or bust...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I know IPS is better than TN but how bad are the TN Freesync and GSync panels picture quality wise? I ask cause my price range is around 500 Canadian which means TN or bust...

I'd probably buy an IPS monitor and sacrifice any kind of *SYNC rather than a TN, it's that much of a difference. That's actually exactly what I did when I bought a Crossover that overclocks to 96hz.