Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Do people actually care about this other than Simmons?

I'm being serious. Are there NFL fans that are discussing this like crazy throughout the season? I follow Colts fans, and they've not given a poo poo about it since like 2 years a go for christ's sake

Any Patriots goons care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

When Barstool Sports, the site that had some of its bigwigs get arrested outside the NFL HQ for protesting the decision, is being more sensible than you about The Deflation, you know you've hosed up.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I still defend Simmons because I like his podcast but Deflategate destroyed him. Led to him being fired from ESPN where he had a great platform to work from. It's destroying his podcast because he can't discuss the NFL with any guest without shoehorning 20 minutes of Deflategate into it. And now it's seeped into his HBO show.

It would be one thing if this topic was a ratings driver (like Tebow was for First Take), but not even Tom Brady cares about it anymore.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

And why are you bringing the case to court when it already was brought to court?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Niwrad posted:

I still defend Simmons because I like his podcast but Deflategate destroyed him. Led to him being fired from ESPN where he had a great platform to work from. It's destroying his podcast because he can't discuss the NFL with any guest without shoehorning 20 minutes of Deflategate into it. And now it's seeped into his HBO show.

It would be one thing if this topic was a ratings driver (like Tebow was for First Take), but not even Tom Brady cares about it anymore.

I think being at ESPN was able to keep him relatively in check in terms of being a Boston sports homer. (I realize that is BIZARRE to type that considering their affinity for the Yankees, Celtics, Knicks, Giants, Jets, Patriots, Redskins, Cowboys, Red Sox, and Eagles over there).

Drew Magary used to use "TAWMY FROM QUINZEE" as a parody of him, but it was nothing compared to what we're seeing now. Nothing about that show, his podcast or anything related to him seems appealing to me right now.

Also coming from a personal standpoint, why the hell does he care this much? I mean the dude's seen "His team" win 4 Super Bowls since 2001, and it's not like they've had the window shut on them to go get some more. As long as Belichick is there that team will drunkenly stumble onto AFC East titles for the forseeable future even with 6th round QB's under center. Like I know we all have our homer moments here (I for one am in that boat), but jeeze.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Is there even a reason why Bill Simmons wanted to do a tv show? Is it something HBO wanted him to do?

Like, I am just so not interested in experiencing Bill Simmons through TV. I wouldn't even be uninterested if someone straight up ripped the audio from the show and released it as a podcast I could listen to as I drive to work or jog. But I don't really get why something that is best consumed through a podcast format you can listen on-the-go is being presented as something to watch on TV. I haven't even seen the show but it's just interviews right? So you're just looking at people sitting on couchs? Why does he need a visual medium to do his shtick if it doesn't add anything worth caring about visually? They should just be podcasts.

When something is a tv show, it needs to meet a higher standard of quality because it is more actively taking up your free time to sit down and watch it; as opposed to reading articles at work/school/in the bathroom, or consuming podcasts while doing other tasks. It doesn't surprise me at all Simmons isn't able to meet that bar. Again, I'd listen to these Any Given Wednesday interviews as a podcast, but you just are not going to get me to sit down and actively watch Bill Simmons talk to people on tv.

Also, Deflategate is such an awful topic at this point. Jesus Christ, he needs to let it go if he doesn't have anything new to say about it.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 30, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Niwrad posted:

And why are you bringing the case to court when it already was brought to court?

Technically, the facts of the case were never brought to court since they were settled in binding arbitration that the NFLPA agreed to in their CBA and the court cases dealt with procedural issues

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

So It Goes posted:

Is there even a reason why Bill Simmons wanted to do a tv show? Is it something HBO wanted him to do?

I liked the grantland basketball show but he doesn't have Lowe, Jalen or any of the other people that made grantland good to put on it

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

FuzzySkinner posted:

Do people actually care about this other than Simmons?

The NFL does because it keeps people talking about their poo poo league even during the off season. (The offseason not being the time the league is not playing but actually between the draft and the start of preseason)

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Peanut President posted:

The NFL does because it keeps people talking about their poo poo league even during the off season. (The offseason not being the time the league is not playing but actually between the draft and the start of preseason)

Actually, between the Super Bowl and the preseason as well.

The NFL wants to dominate all sports news all the time, so they need to have idiotic witch hunts in March and April too, to try to take attention away from March Madness and spring training.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Nah because as soon as the Super Bowl is over there's 2 weeks of post super bowl coverage and then it's non stop talking about the draft. It's only until June that football disappears from sports pages.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The year-round media overkill is one of the reasons I stopped liking football.

There is no reason at all to mention anything that happens in training camp or preseason games except injuries that might make important players miss regular season games.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ElwoodCuse posted:

There is no reason at all to mention anything that happens in training camp or preseason games except injuries that might make important players miss regular season games.

This isn't some new thing though as far as what you're mentioning here goes, I remember training camp superstars back in the 90s. RIP that one Chiefs RB who dominated NFL Europe or WLAF or whatever it was at the time.

Also I think every sport has some version of this to greater or lesser success, baseball has the hot stove, as I understand it (I know nothing about it so I could be wrong) UEFA has a bunch of transfer drama constantly year round, the NBA has an actual summer league with young players. The NFL is just better at being in your face about it I guess.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 31, 2016

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Also I think every sport has some version of this to greater or lesser success, baseball has the hot stove, as I understand it (I know nothing about it so I could be wrong) UEFA has a bunch of transfer drama constantly year round, the NBA has an actual summer league with young players. The NFL is just better at being in your face about it I guess.

There is gently caress all coverage of this compared to football

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ElwoodCuse posted:

There is gently caress all coverage of this compared to football

They'd all like it if there was though. This makes you the guy who doesn't like a place because it's always too crowded. Which is completely fine, just like it was fine when I hated all bands that got radio play when I was a teenager because they were too popular.

Really though it doesn't seem that hard to avoid all of this if you don't care about it. Yeah you might see it on a splash page while you click through looking for baseball coverage or whatever you may be looking for, but if you're actually watching ESPN/reading articles about the NFL it's your own damned fault at this point. It just seems relatively easy to control what you pay attention to these days.

e: I should note that I'm the type who was never particularly bothered by First Take stuff other than egregious woman hating stuff from SAS since who cares unless you're giving a platform for horrible poo poo like that? Sportswise ignore the idiot who loves Tim Tebow, it's easy.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 31, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Football (soccer) is like that in the years where there is a tournament during the off season. But even then, those 2 weeks where there isn't football being played are mercifully quiet. Unless someone big signs somewhere else in which case welp...

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The NFL just seems to be a very "meh" product to me right now.

You go down the line and none of it is really all that interesting to me compared to the NBA, College Football, or (yes) Auto Racing. The so called "parity" within the league is overrated and only a half truth. Your team plays in the AFC? Congrats on trying to nab one of the "automatic bids" away from the Colts, Steelers, Ravens, Patriots and (until recently) the Broncos. Also enjoy getting knocked out of the first round because the league currently favors GOAT-level QB play over everything else.

Sunday's are also unfulfilling for me. Browns play at 1, sure, great fine. I'll watch. There's probably some other good games going on if you're checking out RedZone After that? The 4:30 games are generally always trash and not fun to watch. It's always the Cowboys against some NFC East team. Enjoy hearing Joe Buck put you the gently caress to sleep.

The Super Bowl? Interesting game to see play out, but the whole hype around it is annoying as hell.

I don't know. I love the Browns. They're my favorite team ever. I kinda like the Packers. But man the NFL is just so mediocre to me now.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

LordPants posted:

Football (soccer) is like that in the years where there is a tournament during the off season. But even then, those 2 weeks where there isn't football being played are mercifully quiet.

Maybe if you live in Europe. Here in America ESPN is still trying to pretend the International Champions Cup is a thing people should care about.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Benne posted:

Maybe if you live in Europe. Here in America ESPN is still trying to pretend the International Champions Cup is a thing people should care about.

This is, of course, because:

-NBC holds the rights to the Premier League
-Fox holds the rights to the Bundasliga, UEFA club tournaments, and the World Cup
-beIN Sports holds the rights to Serie A, La Liga, and most other internationally important leagues

ESPN has Euro, half of MLS, some of USM/WNT, and your cash-grab tournaments. If it wasn't for those, ESPN wouldn't have ANY soccer.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I like that college football goes to sleep in February after Signing Day, drunkenly wakes up to pee in April for the spring games, and gets out of bed refreshed in September.

I've also had a rapid and massive decline in my interest in NFL. My first year after I left Pittsburgh for DC, I had Redzone. But since then...I'll pretty much only watch a game if the Steelers are playing Sunday Night or Monday Night. I'm not going out of my way to find or pay to watch a game.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Same here. My NFL viewing, as well as NFL knowledge, totally cratered in the last year. The combination of being away from home, not having a cable TV on as background, and working on Sundays did a significant number on my pro football habit, but more than anything I just don't really enjoy the on-field product anymore. Even when I would bring myself to get deeply invested in the Lions, I had trouble bringing myself to care about the rest of the day's games, but at least I had some knowledge about everything. I have no idea who signed where in free agency this year, or even who some of the breakout stars are. Plus I spend all of Saturday watching football so it's hard to justify doing it again the next day.

It's probably for the best, because the NFL is a horrible organization, but it makes me feel like a worse sports fan.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

When I saw yesterday that the NFL is coming back on Sunday, it actually really annoyed me. I remember when that used to be like the most exciting day of the year. I think it's a combo of oversaturation and the way they have handled the whole CTE thing. Just from personal experience, it seems like most of the hardcore NFL fans I know are actually just hardcore fantasy football players. I wonder how many fans would disappear if fantasy football wasn't a thing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I completely stopped with the NFL years ago. The last straw was the Ravens twitter blaming Janay Rice for getting the poo poo beat out of her. Ever since then I haven't seen a single NFL game to include the super bowl, and quite honestly I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. Ignoring the moral problems, it's a very milquetoast league to me when every team is running (or trying to run) the exact same system.

I'm also completely fed up with the broadcasts. College FB is getting close, but nobody touches the NFL for the maddening run of "2 plays, commercial, 2 more plays, timeout, commercial, TD, commercial, review, commercial, XP, commercial, kickoff, commercial" broadcast.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

In addition to the definite moral problems with the NFL:

- NFL, in the span of 4-5 years, went from free streaming radio for any game you wanted -> $10 audio pass -> $20 audio pass -> $100 multimedia pass. $100 isn't that awful, but I don't like the idea of rewarding them for continually cranking prices just because you can.

- I've gotten way more into MSU sports in the recent past because I have a community to watch games with that I like. Meanwhile, I've found it hard to hang out with NFL fans. This forum is about the only place I talk/read about pro football.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Anals of History posted:

- I've gotten way more into MSU sports in the recent past because I have a community to watch games with that I like. Meanwhile, I've found it hard to hang out with NFL fans. This forum is about the only place I talk/read about pro football.

Oh yeah, that reminds me that the NFL thread also moves way too fast for me these days, adding to my inability to keep up with news.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

FS1 officially announced Skip's new show

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/skip-bayless-joins-fox-sports-916035

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

“I’m not suggesting I’m going to become some sort of shock jock because that’s not me,”

Hahahahahahaha buuuullllllllllll poo poo

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

“Too many people in charge at ESPN, for my taste, were a little too fearful,” Bayless tells The Hollywood Reporter in an interview officially revealing his move. "It's a Disney network. There are just certain boundaries that you can’t even tiptoe along. Not that we won’t have boundaries at Fox, because we will. [But] they will trust me to go a little deeper. I can be completely honest on everything."

lol boundaries. There are no actual consequences for anything at ESPN, and no, Bill Simmons' dustup over Roger Goodell doesn't count. Look how long it took them to shitcan Curt Schilling. How many times did SAS victim-blame or Chris Broussard spout homophobia or all that kind of stuff.

And like, what makes Skip thing the way to get people to watch his new show is to promise to be MORE of an unhinged lunatic? He was already way past "well, I should gawk at the trainwreck" for many, many people.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I watched Sportscenter and Baseball Tonight last week for the first time in years probably since I was traveling and the hotels had cable. I can't tell if it's gotten incredibly worse than I remember it or if it was always that bad and I just never realized it. Sucks too because Chris Hassel was doing Sportscenter and I know he can be entertaining and funny because he was in Des Moines for many years, but it was just complete poo poo.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
It's the MLB trade deadline. Flipped on SportsCenter out of curiosity. 8/8 upcoming stories on the sidebar were either about college football or the NFL.

There are really this many people who care about what's going on in the first week of training camp?

Between this and video games tournaments being on TV, along with turning 30, I have accepted that I'm out of the mainstream.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

I completely stopped with the NFL years ago. The last straw was the Ravens twitter blaming Janay Rice for getting the poo poo beat out of her. Ever since then I haven't seen a single NFL game to include the super bowl, and quite honestly I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. Ignoring the moral problems, it's a very milquetoast league to me when every team is running (or trying to run) the exact same system.

I'm also completely fed up with the broadcasts. College FB is getting close, but nobody touches the NFL for the maddening run of "2 plays, commercial, 2 more plays, timeout, commercial, TD, commercial, review, commercial, XP, commercial, kickoff, commercial" broadcast.

That and how some Ravens fan REACTED to such a thing were disgusting. Same with some Steeler fans in regards to people like James Harrison beating his wife ("Well, we all make mistakes!". An excuse I heard for such a thing), and Ben Roethlsberger's allegations as well.

I don't know...Will I be watching the NFL? Probably, but it's not like it's a "Can't Miss" sort of thing for me. With the exception of Browns game? I wonder why I should bother.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The unfortunate truth is that fans of Your Favorite Team would react that way in the same situation. Same at the college and high school levels, as we've seen time and again.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Not trying to pick a fight here, but to everyone in this thread going on about the NFL's moral problems ... why are you still watching the NCAA?

All the grossness of the NFL, with none of the fair compensation.

Benne fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 1, 2016

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Benne posted:

Not trying to pick a fight here, but to everyone in this thread going on about the NFL's moral problems ... why are you still watching the NCAA?

Mainly because I am a hypocrite. Also I tell myself that at least the NCAA hasn't gone out of their way to lie about it and spread misinformation like the NFL has. Or maybe they have and I just don't know about it. :shrug:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

The unfortunate truth is that fans of Your Favorite Team would react that way in the same situation. Same at the college and high school levels, as we've seen time and again.

This isn't a question. Hell go check out the OBR forum sometime and you'll see rear end in a top hat Browns fan.

It was more of a blanket statement of me being disgusted that people were willing to excuse abhorrent behavior.

Benne posted:

As disgusting at this sounds? The product is very, very good. You're willing to hold your nose a bit and watch it due to the product being fun to follow.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I'm at least far more entertained by the college product. Yeah the NCAA is severely hosed up, no question there, but I haven't quite hit my breaking point with it just yet.

I will admit I'm getting closer and closer though.

E: To give this some context as well, I'm far more a hockey fan than a football fan in the big picture too, so while football can be fun to watch at times, I wouldn't be completely devastated to stop watching all together.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

It is? Any major prime time NCAA football game I see lasts 4+ hours and the basketball games are full of people who can't play worth a drat.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This is gonna sound weird but in a way I like the college football product more because of a lower overall talent level (or at least a really wide spread of one). It lends itself to teams trying new systems because of restrictions on who they can recruit (like Navy's triple option), or just because a coach is a nutball and wants to run air raid all the time.

Plus you're far more likely to see upsets and chaotic poo poo happening.

E: college games will really vary in times too. If you've got two pass-happy teams with bad defenses, then yeah the game is gonna go long as hell, and certainly more and more TV coverage hasn't helped matters.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I don't think it has to be one or the other. I like college football because of all the wacky offense and chaos, and I like the NFL because the quality of play is higher across the board (this is not a serious debate, the Browns would slaughter Alabama) and I'm a hopeless fantasy football addict.

I'm just curious as to what makes some people swear off the NFL for good while continuing to watch the sport that does as many horrible things and doesn't even pay its athletes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The chaos and the pageantry and unique cultures of college football make it my favorite sport. The NFL feels stale and samey to me. There's really nothing in sports that compares to like, Clemson running down the hill or Wisconsin turning a clichéd song into something genuinely exciting. And on field there's a lot more creativity than what college basketball offers.