Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wizchine posted:

Who the gently caress watches Godzilla movies for anything other than Godzilla and the other monsters? All the other poo poo is filler because the budget couldn't handle 90 minutes of painstakingly-built miniatures getting destroyed by men wrestling in latex.

If that's the case, you can just watch clips online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I watch movies about monsters fighting, but they're highbrow, you see, because they have plots and characters and everything...

You know what movies often have better plots and characters than Godzilla movies? Movies with no giant monsters in them at all. Giant monsters are clumsy metaphors - often literally clumsy because they fall on top of buildings.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Wizchine posted:

I watch movies about monsters fighting, but they're highbrow, you see, because they have plots and characters and everything...

You know what movies often have better plots and characters than Godzilla movies? Movies with no giant monsters in them at all. Giant monsters are clumsy metaphors - often literally clumsy because they fall on top of buildings.

This is real dumb.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Wizchine posted:

Who the gently caress watches Godzilla movies for anything other than Godzilla and the other monsters? All the other poo poo is filler because the budget couldn't handle 90 minutes of painstakingly-built miniatures getting destroyed by men wrestling in latex.

That was pretty much why I started watching them as a little kid. I fast-forwarded through all the talky bits and just watched Godzilla pummel the crap out of whoever the stooge was in the latest rental from the store.

I started paying a bit more attention to the plots as I got older, and enjoyed the crazy sci-fi world of monkey-aliens and space cockroaches and the Martians loving around with earth as well as the more low-key but still banana's setting of the 80's series with its psychics and government anti-monster agencies, but my favorite bits were still when the crazy dinosaur demons blasted lasers at each other.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Wizchine posted:

I only eat soylent because if I'm not eating fine lobster I might as well eat nutritional paste cum.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Wizchine posted:

What you're doing here is accepting this arbitrary delineation between 'high' and 'low' culture, which you further predicate on this vague conception of "clumsy metaphors."

So justify yourself: Why is Mothra a clumsy metaphor? Why is the geopolitical content of the film incidental to 'the real reason' (translation: the generic reason) we go to see Mothra?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure I've said this before in this thread but the run of Toho's 60s monster films is up there with the Hammer gothic horrors or WB postwar film noir as one of those great fertile creative periods where a lot of really talented people used a proven commercial formula to do cool things. Too often serious scholarship of Japanese or World cinema skims over it with a mention of Gojira, at most, but the movies are just so wonderfully weird and colorful and creative. These were talented folks seeing what they could pull off.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
E: posted multiple times

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 31, 2016

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
E: connection issues caused multiple posting

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I like it when Godzilla's a complete rear end in a top hat who wrecks things in the most polite country in the world. So I think I'll like this movie!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The only human drama parts that I really took seriously were the stuff in the original Godzilla. Everything since then is a hit or miss. The more schlocky, silly or weird it is the more I appreciate it. It's why I adore Final Wars because it's just completely dumb and gratuitous. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (the 91 film) is also up there because it, too, was completely schlock with time travelers, meddling with timelines to create new problems, a really awesome android with the ridiculous "chase" scene put to celluoid and all that jazz.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This is real dumb.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Maybe I'm kinda late in noticing this, but I found a bunch of old concept art images online of the 1998 Godzilla. What's the deal with humanoid Godzilla? It looks like maybe originally the idea was taking advantage of CGI Godzilla more agile and flexible instead of being a stiff-moving suit, rather than being more like a t-rex. The design is really similar to the finished movie, but the way it carries itself is totally different. Did anyone behind the scenes on the movie ever talk about the change?

I kinda like it, it's got a xenomorph or pumpkinhead vibe to it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

Counterpoint: it's loving Kotaku

Yeah you guys are giving kotaku way too much loving credit on this one. I read parts of that review earlier and rolled my eyes. I'll wait for an actual film critic and not their resident weeb anime lord who lives in Japan.

E: like when he was making the note about how some kid was bored of the movie. Yeah no loving poo poo dude.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 31, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wizchine posted:

It's beginning to look like K. waste is right, and Godzilla fans do not actually like Godzilla.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Maybe this is colored weird because I've recently been marathoning the Heisei movies, but the human bits are an absolutely necessary break from constant monster fighting. It's all really goofy 80s/90s action comedy stuff, but it keeps the fights from getting monotonous and are usually genuinely funny or charming. It's not like the human bits are "deeper" than the monster bits, but they're definitely a part of the whole experience. Watching Godzilla without the humans would be like ignoring the comedy in Last Action Hero.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I find the human story of Monster Zero just as entertaining as the monster bits, if not more so. And vs. the Sea Monster is a terrific ensemble action comedy that just happens to co-star Godzilla.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I can't even think of a Godzilla movie except perhaps Final that isn't mostly scenes of people talking.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Maybe I'm kinda late in noticing this, but I found a bunch of old concept art images online of the 1998 Godzilla. What's the deal with humanoid Godzilla? It looks like maybe originally the idea was taking advantage of CGI Godzilla more agile and flexible instead of being a stiff-moving suit, rather than being more like a t-rex. The design is really similar to the finished movie, but the way it carries itself is totally different. Did anyone behind the scenes on the movie ever talk about the change?

Humanoid Godzilla would have been way better than what we got.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I had a Making of Godzilla 98 book at the time and that movie has way more miniature cities and physical Godzilla's than you would think. There are even photos of a dude in a suit.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
whatever happens, this specific track from the soundtrack is maybe the most hilarious thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0DayCP5Q60

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
That can't be real.

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
I want to believe.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I like it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ElNarez posted:

whatever happens, this specific track from the soundtrack is maybe the most hilarious thing

Rebuild 4's OST sounds like it is coming along nicely.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

That can't be real.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B7%...E/dp/B01FUJN2LY

It is! Tracks 6, 7, 15, 16, 17 and 18. There's SIX variations on Decisive Battle in the soundtrack.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

ElNarez posted:

It is! Tracks 6, 7, 15, 16, 17 and 18. There's SIX variations on Decisive Battle in the soundtrack.

lol I'm so down for Evazilla

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

Maybe this is colored weird because I've recently been marathoning the Heisei movies, but the human bits are an absolutely necessary break from constant monster fighting. It's all really goofy 80s/90s action comedy stuff, but it keeps the fights from getting monotonous and are usually genuinely funny or charming. It's not like the human bits are "deeper" than the monster bits, but they're definitely a part of the whole experience. Watching Godzilla without the humans would be like ignoring the comedy in Last Action Hero.

It's funny, I'd say the Heisei period has oddly both some of the best and the worst human plots. For every time traveling android or hatching of baby dinosaurs, there's scene after scene of dudes just sitting in a control room not really doing anything and being all out of ideas.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

It's funny, I'd say the Heisei period has oddly both some of the best and the worst human plots. For every time traveling android or hatching of baby dinosaurs, there's scene after scene of dudes just sitting in a control room not really doing anything and being all out of ideas.
:agreed:

The Battle for Earth and Ghidorah are amazing. To a lesser extent Biollante is good especially if you can find Japanese attempts to direct "foreigners" funny. Mechagodzilla 2 and Space Godzilla were just amazingly boring though for some reason. They really needed to throw in like a crystal alien person or a space chimp into those movies. I have not yet got to Destroyah in my rewatch though.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

ElNarez posted:

and 'Famously' of all things

that main theme and end title theme though

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Decisive Battle is pretty much the Anno/Sagisu team anthem. Makes sense. Sagisu lifted a bunch a few themes from Nadia for Q. They share a musical universe as co-creators.

Or Sagisu is lazy. But that's fine. I e always really dug his style.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ElNarez posted:

Oh my loving god I am so sold

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

:agreed:

The Battle for Earth and Ghidorah are amazing. To a lesser extent Biollante is good especially if you can find Japanese attempts to direct "foreigners" funny. Mechagodzilla 2 and Space Godzilla were just amazingly boring though for some reason. They really needed to throw in like a crystal alien person or a space chimp into those movies. I have not yet got to Destroyah in my rewatch though.

Destroyah gets the smart rear end grandson of Emiko, and has the prolonged not-space-marines fighting not-xenomorphs in a warehouse sequence, not to mention the jaded Miki Saegusa totally going Training Day on her protege, teaching her what assholes she has to work with before she gets a chance to really get committed to the job. So I'd say Destroyah has a pretty good human plot.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Space Godzilla was awesome. It was the first arc of DBZ with the hero fighting his space brother over his kidnapped son, and teaming up with his enemy to do it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Variety show from last Friday in Japan. Surprise! Shin Godzilla is all mocap, not a rubber suit at all (although there is some puppetry obviously with that shaking head/roar scene)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPUxmgdwwbo

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Variety show from last Friday in Japan. Surprise! Shin Godzilla is all mocap, not a rubber suit at all (although there is some puppetry obviously with that shaking head/roar scene)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPUxmgdwwbo

This movie is gonna be off the chain.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
The weird little shriveled up midget arms and the hugely out of proportion giant tail are freaking me out.

e: also lol looks like a good chunk of the movie is just watching people sit around a big desk looking befuddled. Are they just trolling tepco about fukushima for the entire movie?

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 1, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Crash74 posted:

The weird little shriveled up midget arms and the hugely out of proportion giant tail are freaking me out.

e: also lol looks like a good chunk of the movie is just watching people sit around a big desk looking befuddled. Are they just trolling tepco about fukushima for the entire movie?

The tail is the best part, because from some spoilery stills I've seen, at one point Godzilla literally begins using his tail as a second atomic laser beam source. There's a decent chance of some mad apocalyptic poo poo going down here. It's looking to be the best Toho Godzilla film since GMK, and probably the most 'esoteric' one since the original. All the footage revealed in that second rings heavy of Akira.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
lol if Godzilla melts down and blows up tokyo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I had a feeling the Showa-style Godzilla roar in the trailers did not really fit the visuals, and, well, here you go (spoilers obvs):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjM8qvSjkVM