Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Is there a way to turn on subtitles in Resident Evil 6? The option is there in the faux mobile phone menu but doesn't change when I click it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

Is there a way to turn on subtitles in Resident Evil 6? The option is there in the faux mobile phone menu but doesn't change when I click it.
I think it's like, you press the subtitles thing and then a prompt appears on the right side saying yes or no. It's weirdly easy to miss.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Does Japan even care about Resident Evil/Biohazard? I was under the impression it was a series that had fans in Japan but was mostly popular in the west.

If it was mostly popular in the west then it got a lot of inexplicable exclusives for its home country. I don't even think any of the CGI movies got a real western release outside of digital distribution, but they had full theatrical releases in Japan.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Mr. Fortitude posted:

This too. It'd need to be a reboot because I'd have no idea where they would even go after the events of Dawn of Souls.

Hat trick of killing Tokugawa Ieyasu, of course.

With more time travel.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Does Japan even care about Resident Evil/Biohazard? I was under the impression it was a series that had fans in Japan but was mostly popular in the west. That and there were quite a few Japanese developers who developed exclusively for the Xbox in this period and some of them never even got localizations. I don't see why it couldn't have been multiplatform at the very least.

The primary reason the RE series exists is because for a while in the '90s, horror movies were rampantly popular among young Japanese girls and women. It's the same environment that gave rise to movies like The Ring, and it's why almost every RE game has always had at least one prominent, generally competent female protagonist.

As popular as the games are outside of Japan, in Japan the franchise also includes a short-lived theme restaurant, at least one amusement park attraction, several audio dramas, a stage play, several lines of increasingly intricate action figures, two official serialized manga, a couple of different clothing lines, and a shockingly wide variety of merchandise, including a realistic pellet-gun replica of the "Samurai Edge" pistol.

One of the weirder bits of video game memorabilia I own is a matched set of a cigarette lighter and case that are decorated with the STARS logo. It was $7 on eBay.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Wanderer posted:

and a shockingly wide variety of merchandise, including a realistic pellet-gun replica of the "Samurai Edge" pistol.

Airsoft :eng101:

There were actually several RE airsoft reproductions, but I would chalk that more up to the series being popular with airsoft fans than its popularity in Japan in general, due to its depictions of interesting guns and (at least for RE0-RE4) including little tidbits about each gun.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It's amazing how much complete crap has been produced under the RE name whilst still maintaining popular interest in the main instalments. Personally I try to pretend that stuff doesn't exist and hope the next one won't be a dumpster fire.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Resident Evil 2 was that good that the series is still riding off of it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

2 and 4 really. The series was starting to die down and become by the numbers until 4 came out.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

smuh posted:

I think it's like, you press the subtitles thing and then a prompt appears on the right side saying yes or no. It's weirdly easy to miss.
I don't get a prompt on the right side at all?

Also, should I get any kind of main menu when starting the game? All I get is a title screen and it goes to the video options and then straight into the opening cutscene. Do I have to finish the entire prologue or whatever it is before getting a main menu?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

I still always get a kick out of the fact they hired George Romero to make a commercial for RE 2 that cost more than the actual game cost to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDP1ZFg2cvc

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ishikabibble posted:

Airsoft :eng101:

There were actually several RE airsoft reproductions, but I would chalk that more up to the series being popular with airsoft fans than its popularity in Japan in general, due to its depictions of interesting guns and (at least for RE0-RE4) including little tidbits about each gun.

Airsoft guns are pellet guns.

There's a lot of crossover between fans of the franchise, airsoft fans, and that uniquely Japanese brand of gun nut where they memorize reams of trivia and own a lot of super-authentic replicas, but due to Japanese gun laws, don't and likely cannot own a gun themselves. It's why there were so many Japanese airsoft guns for a long time that looked absolutely identical to real firearms, and why the series has always paid a lot of attention to detail on its firearms. They'd always have been entirely within their rights to just say "Magnum Revolver" and leave it at that, but no; Barry's revolver is explicitly a .44 Colt Python.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 31, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It's not just RE2. RE3 is still almost as prominently influential, if not moreso (it's the only one of the games that got anything close to a live-action adaptation, and when RE shows up in crossovers, it's generally at least using elements from RE3), and people keep seeming to forget that Resident Evil 4 totally reinvented the action genre. It may seem like a given now, but without RE4, you don't get Uncharted or Gears of War or any of a half-dozen other prominent franchises. RE5 sold millions of copies despite all the jokes about boulder-punching, and RE6, for all its faults, sold almost as well.

Yeah, fans of the franchise tend to have favorites and pretend the rest don't exist, but pretending that the entire franchise is coasting off its early goodwill is flatly untrue.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

I don't get a prompt on the right side at all?

Also, should I get any kind of main menu when starting the game? All I get is a title screen and it goes to the video options and then straight into the opening cutscene. Do I have to finish the entire prologue or whatever it is before getting a main menu?
Huh, can't check it right now but that's how I remembered it working with the phone menu. Also yeah the game wont let you into actual options screens until you finish the crappy prologue which sucks and is always a terrible idea for a game to do.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Wanderer posted:

It's not just RE2. RE3 is still almost as prominently influential, if not moreso (it's the only one of the games that got anything close to a live-action adaptation, and when RE shows up in crossovers, it's generally at least using elements from RE3), and people keep seeming to forget that Resident Evil 4 totally reinvented the action genre. It may seem like a given now, but without RE4, you don't get Uncharted or Gears of War or any of a half-dozen other prominent franchises. RE5 sold millions of copies despite all the jokes about boulder-punching, and RE6, for all its faults, sold almost as well.

Yeah, fans of the franchise tend to have favorites and pretend the rest don't exist, but pretending that the entire franchise is coasting off its early goodwill is flatly untrue.

This happens roughly every other page. lovely grognard points out how good old_shit_re_game was and then someone posts sales numbers with 456 on top.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
You guys took what was really obviously a joke post pretty seriously.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Momomo posted:

You guys took what was really obviously a joke post pretty seriously.

Have you actually read this thread? That's pretty much a staple argument, only the # of the game changes. Except it's always one of the lovely isometric ones.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Klaus Kinski posted:

This happens roughly every other page. lovely grognard points out how good old_shit_re_game was and then someone posts sales numbers with 456 on top.

It's more about how in every Capcom thread, somebody tries to put on their games analyst hat and end up crafting a bold new interpretation of opposite_of_reality.jpg.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Wanderer posted:

It's more about how in every Capcom thread, somebody tries to put on their games analyst hat and end up crafting a bold new interpretation of opposite_of_reality.jpg.

Yeah, it's pretty much 100% accurate for every megaman discussion ever as well.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I dunno, I'd say the first was pretty drat influential too. Clock Tower came first, but Resident Evil (the first) was the game that really brought the survival horror genre into the limelight. And it may have just been because I was in fifth grade at the time, but back then, it was legitimately scary to me.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Klaus Kinski posted:

Have you actually read this thread? That's pretty much a staple argument, only the # of the game changes. Except it's always one of the lovely isometric ones.

Every time I've seen someone say it they've said it was 4 that the new games were riding on, not the old style ones. Nobody is going to say a series is riding on the success of something from almost two decades ago.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I don't think anyone is going to argue that it influenced a ton of games and the industry as well. It's just a really bad game by today's standards. Many mobile games have more interactive and fun "combat" than RE1.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that RE1 and, hell, survival horror games in general are not really about fun gameplay most of the time. They're about creating an atmosphere, and that's what the people who like them enjoy, not necessarily the awkward controls or whatever. it just so happens that's a particularly effective way to create said atmosphere, considering how many other games aped it, and all things considered not something you really find these days.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Son Ryo posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that RE1 and, hell, survival horror games in general are not really about fun gameplay most of the time. They're about creating an atmosphere, and that's what the people who like them enjoy, not necessarily the awkward controls or whatever. it just so happens that's a particularly effective way to create said atmosphere, considering how many other games aped it, and all things considered not something you really find these days.

That's not entirely correct. From the very start RE had two sets of people:

People who played it for the atmosphere and people who got really into the mechanics. RE1 didn't have strong mechanics but it encouraged speedrunning and mechanical mastery in subtle ways which lead to people trying to do knife-only runs and such. There was a real arcade-style appeal to it despite everything. That is why RE2 threw in Hunk and Tofu (as a sop to those people, with Tofu being a reference to the knife-only runs) and why RE3 onward had Mercenary Modes which converted the horror gameplay into arcade-style scored gameplay.

This is also a regular struggle with RE in that it wants to appeal both to the people looking for scary horror and the people looking for arcade action, both of whom have a reasonable claim on the franchise. Almost very RE game in recent memory has had arcade elements to it, be it Raid Mode, Mercenaries mode or just the actual basic gameplay, and the people who got deep into those mechanics really enjoy it for that.

RE is weird in that, yes, it's a horror franchise but it's also a horror franchise where you're encouraged to figure out speedrunning paths in order to unlock a rocket launcher or gattling gun. RE3 can be a terrifying game where you're avoiding an unstoppable monster but it also is one where you're encouraged to fight that monster for its drops so you can get new and more powerful weapons. By RE4 it's just as possible to play the game as a kung-fu knife-wielding superman as it is to be terrified and blocking doors and making GBS threads your pants when a chainsaw guy comes at you.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 31, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Vakal posted:

Dinosaurs are an untapped market in our current oversaturated world of zombies.

Yeah, even though Dino Crisis 1 was clearly captializing on Jurassic Park popularity it was still pretty good. Dino Crisis 2 turned it from survival horror into permanent Mercenaries mode, but it was at least pretty to look at.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

This is also a regular struggle with RE in that it wants to appeal both to the people looking for scary horror and the people looking for arcade action, both of whom have a reasonable claim on the franchise. Almost very RE game in recent memory has had arcade elements to it, be it Raid Mode, Mercenaries mode or just the actual basic gameplay, and the people who got deep into those mechanics really enjoy it for that.

The bigger problem is that almost no RE game has been good horror or good action for a decade.They have just repeatedly failed at finding a middle ground or just making good RE games in general. Revelations 1 and the Wii light gun games are the only decent entries in the series since Re4 since they actually succeeded at what they were trying to do. Everything else has just been a mess. RE6 was a bad action game and RE7 looks like it going to be a bad horror game. I don't care what direction they go I just wish they would make something good or give up. The series is complete nonsense at this point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

The bigger problem is that almost no RE game has been good horror or good action for a decade.They have just repeatedly failed at finding a middle ground or just making good RE games in general. Revelations 1 and the Wii light gun games are the only decent entries in the series since Re4 since they actually succeeded at what they were trying to do. Everything else has just been a mess. RE6 was a bad action game and RE7 looks like it going to be a bad horror game. I don't care what direction they go I just wish they would make something good or give up. The series is complete nonsense at this point.

RE6 is extremely strong mechanically as people in this thread have discussed repeatedly. You may not like it but there's a reason there is a not-insignificant number of people who go "I play it for the Mercenaries mode."

RE has always struggled between the two. It's part of why there are stand-alone bonus modes like that in the first place. People in this thread and elsewhere have talked about buying RE games just for Mercenaries or Raid Mode and consider the story something they have to push through to get to the fun part even when the story is well-designed. It's debatable if it's enough to justify a stand-alone release. (Mercenaries 3DS did well but not gangbusters) but if you're someone who likes RE for the straight score-attack elements it's not been as simple as 'they keep getting worse.' RE5 introduced online co-op for Mercenaries and had a lot of mechanical improvements over 4, RE6 changed the system up in a way that seems relatively well received, and Raid mode was a major selling point for Rev/Rev2 and certainly where the player was expected to spend most of their time.

RE7 certainly looks to be going in the horror direction (though it seems entirely too early to go 'it's bad horror' considering) and that will be interesting if they decide to go for scares over action, if not just to see the response from the section of the fandom who put hundreds of hours into Mercenaries but isn't really interested in VR horror-gimmicks.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 31, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RE6 is literally one of the most garbage games I have ever played mechanically and the general consensus will back me up on that despite a few anecdotal stories of people enjoying mercs in this thread. RE6 is an irredeemable piece of crap shooter made by people who do not like or understand shooters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

RE6 is literally one of the most garbage games I have ever played mechanically and the general consensus will back me up on that despite a few anecdotal stories of people enjoying mercs in this thread. RE6 is an irredeemable piece of crap shooter made by people who do not like or understand shooters.

Nobody will disagree that RE6 did a genuinely bad job explaining its mechanics and gameplay, nor that the main storyline is at best disjointed. However that isn't the same as the core mechanics being bad. Part of the reason it got a poor reception is because the game is bad at explaining itself and that's a genuine flaw with the game from a critical perspective but not from the perspective of someone who enjoys learning and mastering mechanics.

People have explained this before and if you want to keep stomping your foot and going "No, it's BAD" instead then you're making it pretty clear you're not interested in having a conversation, just whining about the fact you didn't like a game. It's possible for a game to have significant design flaws (as RE6 unarguably does) and still have strong mechanics beneath.

You're right that RE6 is a bad shooter because it isn't played like a shooter. It's played like a brawler with guns. RE4 and RE5 also both reward this playstyle but in a different direction than RE6 does and trying to play any of them like a straight shooter means you miss a lot their strong points. RE4 comes across the best because its brawler mechanics are the least developed of the lot but if you put a lot of time into their Mercenary modes you have to learn how to use close-range attacks as often as ranged attacks to maximize your scores and damage to enemies.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 31, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I guess I'd just have to disagree. I played plenty of it. Recently even. I get how the game works and I think the mechanics are absolute trash.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 31, 2016

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
re6 sold a million copies and therefor that makes it a good game alongside the greatest movie ever made transformers 4

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I guess I'm just "stomping my foot" calling a known bad game bad, because impatom and like 5 other people on earth have convinced themselves the horrible mechanics are good for some reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I guess I'd just have to disagree. I played plenty of it. Recently even. I get how the game works and I think the mechanics are absolute trash.

Honestly, and if i'm wrong I'm wrong, the impression I got is that you played the story mode, disliked how it played, tried a bit of Mercenaries, disliked how it played and then gave up and decided it was trash. Which is fine and not a wrong thing to do but means that when you say "I get how the game works" you're probably not coming at it from the same direction as the people who genuinely dug into it. At very least it's pretty difficult to believe when you keep saying the people who made it hate shooters and that it's a bad shooter because it comes across as you being annoyed it isn't fitting your expectations.

NESguerilla posted:

I guess I'm just "stomping my foot" calling a known bad game bad, because impatom and like 5 other people on earth have convinced themselves the horrible mechanics are good for some reason.

There are plenty of videos, guides and so-on around the internet. v:shobon:v It's not an uncommon opinion in most places still discussing RE6 that it has a strong Mercenaries mode and a crap everything else. Like a lot of people who strongly dislike RE6 still are willing to admit the Mercenaries mode is good and part of their complaint is that RE6 would be a better game if it wasn't preventing you from playing it with lots of bullshit.

It's also not unreasonable for a lot of people to play RE6's lackluster story mode and give up but that goes back to my earlier point about how RE has a fairly divided audience. Some people don't give a poo poo Mercenaries mode exists because it isn't why they play RE. Hell, a lot of people who like RE probably have only the barest interest in its mechanics beyond the most basic level. A lot of people who played RE3 never bothered to master the dodge, a lot of people who played RE4 treated melee as a secondary gimmick, and so-on. There's nothing wrong with that because the game never really asks it unless you're going for high scores in bonus modes.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 31, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my everyone is better than your everyone, so there!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Ryaomon posted:

re6 sold a million copies and therefor that makes it a good game alongside the greatest movie ever made transformers 4

The point of bringing up RE6's sales numbers in this particular discussion isn't to discount somebody's opinion of it (because you're right; McDonald's is the most popular restaurant on Earth but that doesn't make it a good restaurant), but rather, to punch holes in the idea that "everyone knows it's crap."

It may have a bad reputation among the hardcore set, and it pretty much deserves it, but there's nowhere near the overwhelming fan consensus that game communities like to pretend there is. As ImpAtom pointed out, RE in general has a very divided audience, and while the hardcore gamers might hate RE6, they aren't the whole story. It's still got a lot of fans of Mercenaries, particularly No Mercy; it's still got a mod community, which is predictably disturbing; and it has a weirdly high amount of fan work, all things considered.

Even Capcom regards RE6 as something of a failure, though, and they've been saying that since, IIRC, two months after it came out. I don't think it's an accident that they (eventually) followed up with Revelations 2, which was experimental in a lot of ways, but which is still a much more tightly controlled, lower-stakes, atmospheric game.

NESguerilla posted:

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 31, 2016

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I'm just here to counter NESguerilla's constant "RE6 bad" with "RE6 actually good" because outside of the lovely campaign/story it's actually good (and even parts of the campaign are okay but not much)

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

ImpAtom posted:

Nobody will disagree that RE6 did a genuinely bad job explaining its mechanics and gameplay, nor that the main storyline is at best disjointed. However that isn't the same as the core mechanics being bad. Part of the reason it got a poor reception is because the game is bad at explaining itself and that's a genuine flaw with the game from a critical perspective but not from the perspective of someone who enjoys learning and mastering mechanics.

This right here is my biggest complaint about RE6. Once you get how the mechanics work, it runs like a breeze and was really fun (even if there was no boulder-punching action). But good lord did they do a bad job of giving any kind of direction. All of a sudden realizing that you can do all sorts of cool combat/environmental things that aren't straightforward by accidently discovering something is not exactly the way you want to go about a game, unless that is one of the selling points of the series (and it is not in RE). The RE selling points are solid horror tropes, and over-the-top Capcom Writing(tm).

I really hope they learned from that mistake, and don't do the same thing again in RE7.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah RE6 is good as hell.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This thread is the only place that seems to like RE6 so I always viewed it as CD's weird obsession with explaining how bad movies are actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
RE6 is legit my favourite game so yeah, I'd say it's good.