Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
.5: Sewage Time

.6: Say Your Prayers

And thus, the Punisher closes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
I had forgotten about the amazing desperation attack sound effect from the arcade version.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Man Dancer posted:

I had forgotten about the amazing desperation attack sound effect from the arcade version.

I'm sure the noise helps with making the move physically possible,

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play Batman Beyond: Return of The Joker

Return of The Joker is a really good movie. This isn't the movie though. This is a beat 'em up released on the Nintendo 64 based on the movie. It features Terry bashing his way through baddies in the same storyline, but with noticeably less production value. The highlight of the game is your ability to switch between four different suits at will, each with their own strengths, and then ignore half of them because they're not very useful. So, let's give that a play.

It's over!

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 25, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Evil Roombas

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

this looks surprisingly competent for the N64, maybe I'm just glad it's not Superman 64 levels

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Aces High posted:

this looks surprisingly competent for the N64, maybe I'm just glad it's not Superman 64 levels

As far as third party releases on the 64, this could be worse. It's playable at least, even if I doubt anyone would feel good about their purchase.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh it's over

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Shame that the game is so short. There are enough concepts in it to make it a real good game. I guess there were too many limitations in this gen.

In addition to this game, the South Park FPS is much better on the N64 than on the PS1. On the other hand, the Gex series is awful on N64- it had less levels and less one-liners. Is there a consensus which system had the better ports overall?

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 26, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Y-Hat posted:

Shame that the game is so short. There are enough concepts in it to make it a real good game. I guess there were too many limitations in this gen.

In addition to this game, the South Park FPS is much better on the N64 than on the PS1. On the other hand, the Gex series is awful on N64- it had less levels and less one-liners. Is there a consensus which system had the better ports overall?

That's a tough one. The PS1 ports generally had better lighting and controls, but the N64 ports looked a hell of a lot less freakishly ugly and ran smoother.

Shadow Man is a tie on the PS1/N64, for me, Nightmare Creatures is definitely better on the PS1, Toy Story 2 is a wash.. Spider-Man had ugly as poo poo cutscenes but better graphics and actual shadows on 64. It's hard to pick.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play UFO Kamen YakiSoban

An adorable playable advertisement with solid game design and some catchy music. Thoroughly enjoyable.

.1: Stage One

.2: Stage Two

.3: Stage Three

.4: Stage Four

.5: Stage Five

Meal attack!

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 31, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

So, you are the tentacle monster?

Speaking of repetitive games with silly superheroes... The Tick?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

So, you are the tentacle monster?

Speaking of repetitive games with silly superheroes... The Tick?

For once, the Tentacle Monster is the protagonist.

The Tick is a whole new level of repetitive. I would struggle to find commentary for the very first level, appropriately titled "Night of A Million-Zillion Ninjas". My brother literally had a breakdown after he played for hours to get to the final level and the game crashed.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I thought maybe I was exaggerating but no the drat thing is almost 4 hours long.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

.2: Stage Two

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'm confused as to why the yakisoba super hero's arch-nemesis is a guy with a kettle head. You'd think they'd have a symbiotic relationship.

Edit: Unless it's a microwave meal, I guess.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Rollersnake posted:

I'm confused as to why the yakisoba super hero's arch-nemesis is a guy with a kettle head. You'd think they'd have a symbiotic relationship.

UFO's meals need no kettle!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Eloquent

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

You're playing as an instant noodle mascot to save your girlfriend and preserve the supremacy of lazy food over a good cooked meal? This is an advertisement, after all.

The first boss is one of those grills that they use in Japan to make stuff like okonomiyaki (meat and a bunch of vegetables put together in a pancake), and it uses the utensils that chefs use to throw the food at you as a projectile. It's a nice little touch.

Whenever I see a non-Roman alphabet language like Japanese or Chinese put a word with Roman letters in it, I feel like the dog in this Far Side comic.

Looks like the Mad Hatter if he were wearing a tea kettle on his head instead of a top hat.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

.3: Stage Three

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

.4: Stage Four

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

.5: Stage Five

The End

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

So, is the timer for each screen the time required to prepare a real pack of those noodles?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

So, is the timer for each screen the time required to prepare a real pack of those noodles?

Oh man I never thought about that

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Is his main attack called "Mein Attack?" That's fabulous.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Man Dancer posted:

Is his main attack called "Mein Attack?" That's fabulous.

I think it's "Meal Attack"

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Streets of Rage: Silent Storm

A fan-made Streets of Rage 4. There are many of these, but this is one of the best.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I think it's "Meal Attack"

It's Men Attack, for sure.

Incidentally, the invincibility attack in that game reminded me of this beautiful clip from Voltasaur Team Kyoryuger:

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

AzraelNewtype posted:

It's Men Attack, for sure.

Incidentally, the invincibility attack in that game reminded me of this beautiful clip from Voltasaur Team Kyoryuger:

I just watched this clip in my office at work and in a completely unrelated conversation between two of the networks guys, one of them said "What a strange concept."

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Iron Commando

A really kick-rear end and pretty looking beat 'em up that's harder than it looks

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I must say I appreciate your commitment to games that are kind of awful.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ManlyGrunting posted:

I must say I appreciate your commitment to games that are kind of awful.

Thanks!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I didn't know there were other fanmade Streets of Rage games, I only knew about the Remake one but then again if most of them are in various aspects of abandoned or just simply unfinished then it is no wonder I only really knew about SoRR, seeing as it actually was finished

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Aces High posted:

I didn't know there were other fanmade Streets of Rage games, I only knew about the Remake one but then again if most of them are in various aspects of abandoned or just simply unfinished then it is no wonder I only really knew about SoRR, seeing as it actually was finished

SoRR is in another league from most fan-games

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This still isn't dead and another SNES/Genesis beat 'em up will be coming soon to a post near you. A full playthrough this time.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play "Captain America and The Avengers"

Captain America and The Avengers was originally a beat 'em up released in arcades. It shortly after received two attempts at a faithful recreation on the Super Nintendo and Genesis/Mega Drive, along with two unique side-scrollers for the NES and Game Gear. We're of course interested in the SNES/Genesis titles. Or rather, the Genesis title, since it isn't poopy like its counterpart. Anyway, the version we've got our hands on is developed by Opera House. They've recreated other Data East titles, and they did a splendid job with this one as well. The controls are responsive, fast, and there's even cheesy voice clips to complete the authentic arcade feel. We're going to be experiencing the whole glorious game as Captain America himself, since everyone else is kinda less good.

Videos

Scene 1: The Avengers

Scene 2: Target Town

Scene 3: Challenge from The Bottom of The Sea

Scene 4: The Giant Laser Cannon

Scene 5: The End of Red Skull

Extra Scene: The Super Nintendo

America still needs your help!

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 27, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Let's Play "Captain America and The Avengers"

Captain America and The Avengers was originally a beat 'em up released in arcades. It shortly after received two attempts at a faithful recreation on the Super Nintendo and Genesis/Mega Drive, along with two unique side-scrollers for the NES and Game Gear. We're of course interested in the SNES/Genesis titles. Or rather, the Genesis title, since it isn't poopy like its counterpart. Anyway, the version we've got our hands on is developed by Opera House. They've recreated other Data East titles, and they did a splendid job with this one as well. The controls are responsive, fast, and there's even cheesy voice clips to complete the authentic arcade feel. We're going to be experiencing the whole glorious game as Captain America himself, since everyone else is kinda less good.

Videos

Scene 1: The Avengers

Those two clowns are Klaw and, IIRC, the Living Laser.

(E: or possibly the Melter, but I don't think so)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Those two clowns are Klaw and, IIRC, the Living Laser.

(E: or possibly the Melter, but I don't think so)

Thank you Spider-Man

• Locked thread