Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I am disappointed that Manwhore didn't get to go on mission called Hardgay Sssseeecreeeettttsss. Voting to include Manwhore in every mission with similar title.

Angry 'Red' Lobster
Chris 'Fart' Gasmaks
Alessandra 'Miss' Margottini

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
"Mummy?" Gasmask

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I always assumed Jade was a Hard Gay impersonator irl and now you're telling me that's wrong???

My world is shaken

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Grapplejack posted:

Alessandra "misclick" Margottini

This, except spelled as "Ms. Click".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tin Tim posted:

I always assumed Jade was a Hard Gay impersonator irl and now you're telling me that's wrong???

My world is shaken

No mere impersonator, he's the real McCoy.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Jade Star is whatever you want him to be, so long as you want him to be someone who suffers more computer problems than anyone else on this earth.

I hear datacenters in his area pay him money not to come into the building, just in case.

Cruise Ship Lobster, by the way. How could I vote anything else?

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 31, 2016

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Lunethex posted:

They have to get a kill and also not take a hit to recover.

It doesn't (and shouldn't) happen often, but if you get a lot of people afflicted with it and they are your only usable troops, it can be devastating. Imagine a Muton War Cry from XCOM EW just panicking everyone on the map at once :(

I find it a really frustrating mechanic. Generally it only happens in the first quarter of a playthrough so I just junk the person rather than trying to get them out of shaken.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Hummm...
Rocket Lobster
Ms. Click Margottini
Catnap Gasmask

Those sound good.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I find it a really frustrating mechanic. Generally it only happens in the first quarter of a playthrough so I just junk the person rather than trying to get them out of shaken.

Or just build a single mindshield, reuse when needed, and that's that. It's great compared to EU's handling of shaken soldiers!

Abyssal Lurker
Jul 14, 2007

:jeb:THRILLMASTER:jeb:
Wasn't Lobster the one who got the hacking upgrade? Nickname: Skillsteal.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Akratic Method posted:

Abyssal Lurker posted:

These.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Abyssal Lurker posted:

you make a good argument

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Bruceski posted:

We were at the ADVENT site
Everybody had crazy outfits
Somebody went under a dock
And there they saw a rocket
But it wasn't a rocket
It was a Rocket Lobster!

What is this a reference to? And is the Cruise Ship another reference or just funny because people eat lobsters on them?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

CrazySalamander posted:

What is this a reference to? And is the Cruise Ship another reference or just funny because people eat lobsters on them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WziO005uM3g

In X-Com Terror from the Deep Cruise Ships, Lobsterman eat you.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 31, 2016

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Akratic Method posted:

Abyssal Lurker posted:

My name is David Corbett, and I support these messages.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 31, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CrazySalamander posted:

What is this a reference to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDZy6-fMCw4

I'm gonna go feel old, now. Don't mind me.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Scribbleykins posted:

N-thing Angry "Red" Lobster. Suggesting Alessandra "Bloody" Margottini because that makes her name sound like a drink, and I can't unhear Chris "Can't Kiss" Gasmask.

This man knows where it's at. I'm voting with him.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
After a while not playing the game and missing out on the DLC thus far, I just tried the tower for the first time since there was nothing left to do on the map.

(edit: oops no spoiler policy, removed for safety's sake until after it's in a video)

geri_khan fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 31, 2016

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

zyxophoj posted:

You made me try it. Tendales is correct. (Fortunately for the soldier getting squeezed by this snake, as this would otherwise have 20% chance to miss)

Fix your descriptions, Jake.

Never trust in-game descriptions. Always trust me, a random guy on the internet.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

My world is shaken

I mean, he does do Hard Gay impersonations, and they tend towards hilarious, so you're not wrong.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

what's Hard Gay?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Aces High posted:

what's Hard Gay?

Hard Gay is what you get when you put Soft Gay in the freezer.

edit: Alternatively, A wrestler the best wrestler.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Aces High posted:

what's Hard Gay?

CrazySalamander posted:

Terror from the Deep was not a well-balanced game. The lobstermen were horribly tough enemies and cruise ship terror missions were stuffed to the gills with the things.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 31, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brainamp posted:

Terror from the Deep was not a well-balanced game. The lobstermen were horribly tough enemies and cruise ship terror missions were stuffed to the gills with the things.

There was one specific type of weapon they were very weak to, but getting access to those weapons relied on autopsying a specific alien that it was very possible to ever encounter at all because it was an exclusively land-based terror unit for an early game race that rarely went on terror missions. If you never saw a calcinite, no melee weapons for you.

Tasoths were also pretty nasty. Imagine an ethereal that's as tough as a muton. Terror's chryssalids could fly.

I really, really want X-COM 3 to be Terror From The Deep redux. One of the reasons I was (and still kinda am) so disappointed with X-COM 2 is because besides simply not being a fan of the story premise I was hugely disappointed it wasn't a remake of Terror.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
That page is a perfect example of the things I love about Wikipedia.

Carrying on with the LP:
While "Red", "Rock" and "Cruise Ship" (or even "FFFFFFFFFFF") are fitting nicknames for a Lobster, particularly an angry one, he deserves recognition for his hacking. I was thinking something around tech support, but "Skillsteal" is too good. Good call, whoever came up with that moniker.
Our sniper has definitely earned herself a "Misclick" "Ms. Click" or "Misfire" nickname, through no fault of her own. Just following orders, guys. But "Bloody" Margottini works pretty well too. I'd be happy with either. I don't know if we should give her a Pistolero-themed nickname, unless she's definitely going to become our gunslinger sniper.
Most people are keen on "catnap" for Gasmask but it wasn't much of a catnap, it was more of a powernap because he woke up and immediately murdered a dude.

Also, I like that they changed grenades so they're now tied to the grid, to stop the dumb ritual of pixel-hunting that preceded every grenade throw. And it doesn't seem to have helped? Is that just you, or just a particularly awkward place to put a grenade, or what?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I was hugely disappointed it wasn't a remake of Terror.

I wasn't. "Guerilla warfare against alien overlords in continuity with previous game" is way more interesting than "aliens again but in the water now".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TheDarkFlame posted:

Also, I like that they changed grenades so they're now tied to the grid, to stop the dumb ritual of pixel-hunting that preceded every grenade throw. And it doesn't seem to have helped? Is that just you, or just a particularly awkward place to put a grenade, or what?

Every once in a while it'll turn out that where you're trying to drop a grenade involves coinslotting a window or something. They actually have a throwing arc. Sometimes there's hoiccups with buildings too, trying to drop something on a roof when it thinks you're pointing at the floor.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

TheDarkFlame posted:

Basically, the actual explosion radius is tied to the grid, but the precise landing point for the grenade is not. If you can land it even one nano-distance into a certain tile, even by slotting it through or around objects, it will explode from the middle of that tile. Thus, along with the buggy/erratic projectile arcs, the pixel hunting is not reduced whatsoever; it just has fewer potential benefits.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cythereal posted:

There was one specific type of weapon they were very weak to, but getting access to those weapons relied on autopsying a specific alien that it was very possible to ever encounter at all because it was an exclusively land-based terror unit for an early game race that rarely went on terror missions. If you never saw a calcinite, no melee weapons for you.

They were also weak to stun weapons, but that mostly meant spending your whole turn to smack a lobster in the face, and if it failed, that soldier was probably screwed.

Meanwhile, the unlockable melee weapons were fast. The slowest of them fired as fast as a pistol. Good stuff, if you could get 'em.

Of course, they looked better because almost everything in TFTD was kind of poo poo. Gauss was lasers with all the fun stripped out, dart guns were worthless, Sonic weapons did good damage but were slow as hell, the torpedo cannons didn't work on land...

Oh. And that's before considering enemy damage resistance, which was very much a thing. TFTD, man. Romhacking before most of us knew what romhacks were.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Elth posted:

I wasn't. "Guerilla warfare against alien overlords in continuity with previous game" is way more interesting than "aliens again but in the water now".

Eh, Cythereal is just weird like that (note, weird does not mean bad or wrong, it simply means weird). I also recall them saying in the main XCOM thread, that another premise that would have been cool with, is essentially the plot of the new independence day movie, humanity has had time to integrate what alien tech they have, but the aliens are coming back in force which I agree is also a cool premise for an XCOM game. That's probably what they'd roll with if they wanted to make a sequel to the "win" state of EU/EW.

I do agree with you that I don't think I'd be that interested in a remake of TFTD, (Personally I think Cythereal just likes lovecraftian themes) but considering how well Firaxis has done with XCOM EU/EW and XCOM2, they could probably pull it off.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 31, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Elth posted:

I liked the idea of the game starting out in safe, comfortable, familiar territory on land responding to alien attacks, but then you have to research technology to start heading underwater - into the aliens' territory. Even then, it's relatively benign at first in shallow water. Underwater ruins, coral reefs, oil rig pilings, sunken ships, etc. But even then, you have to keep heading deeper and deeper into progressively more alien territory to the point that even though you're on Earth, you're in an alien world now.

Stephen9001 posted:

Eh, Cythereal is just weird like that. I also recall them saying in the main XCOM thread, that another premise that would have been cool with, is essentially the plot of the new independence day movie, humanity has had time to integrate what alien tech they have, but the aliens are coming back in force which I agree is also a cool premise for an XCOM game. That's probably what they'd roll with if they wanted to make a sequel to the "win" state of EU/EW.

Or going the complete opposite direction and have us invade them, only the overt initial invasion goes awry and you turn into a guerrilla movement on an alien world.

X-COM 2 just doesn't feel interesting to me. Not familiar enough to be that "secret wars in back alleys" like Enemy Unknown, not alien enough to get me intrigued.

Edit: And yeah, I love sea-based settings in general. One of the reasons I like the Rising Tide expansion to Beyond Earth so much. The ocean is incredibly cool and interesting, and I wish more games made use of it as a setting.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 31, 2016

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Cythereal posted:

X-COM 2 just doesn't feel interesting to me. Not familiar enough to be that "secret wars in back alleys" like Enemy Unknown, not alien enough to get me intrigued.

So essentially, it hits the inverse goldilocks effect for you? How fascinating.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Really liking some of the suggestions.

Skillsteal Lobster
Ms. Click Margottini
Powernap Gasmask

Also Guava, screw you for the MECs using the rockets rarely. I prioritize those fuckers simply because they absolutely love to obliterate my cover with that.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Fun fact about MECs, their normal attacks actually shred armor. It rarely comes up unless you've Haywire'd one and sent it after its fellows though.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Tempest_56 posted:

Also Guava, screw you for the MECs using the rockets rarely. I prioritize those fuckers simply because they absolutely love to obliterate my cover with that.

After a couple trips through the game I have a sense that they use it when they can hit more than one soldier with it, and rarely otherwise. Perceptions of rarity might hinge on a maneuver style that involves staying together vs spreading out.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Akratic Method posted:

After a couple trips through the game I have a sense that they use it when they can hit more than one soldier with it, and rarely otherwise. Perceptions of rarity might hinge on a maneuver style that involves staying together vs spreading out.

It's actually this. MEC and grenade holding unit AI only use explosives when they'll hit multiple targets. If you keep your troops spread out just enough to avoid being hit that way, you'll never see it.

Edit: The problem is keeping to cover and getting shots in doesn't always allow you to do that.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

zyxophoj posted:

You made me try it. Tendales is correct. (Fortunately for the soldier getting squeezed by this snake, as this would otherwise have 20% chance to miss)

That's certainly interesting and would cause me to re-evaluate shadow strike. Though that screenshot also says the soldier has AIDS, and that a rape squad is incoming so uh...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stephen9001 posted:

So essentially, it hits the inverse goldilocks effect for you? How fascinating.

I'm not a fan of Lovecraftian themes as a general rule - it was the alien environments and exploring the ocean that got me hooked on Terror (also, I grew up playing it - my dad only had Terror for a while and hadn't played the original).

Enemy Unknown for me nailed the shadow war kind of feeling, which Jake said in one interview was supposed to feel like you were fighting aliens in your own homes, in the places where you worked. To that end, I liked how the weirdness of the aliens was comparatively dialed back - no snakemen, no celatids, no reapers, no silacoids. Floaters got a terrific redesign from what was honestly a pretty drat hokey original, and thin men were a great addition.

There's a lot I like about X-COM 2's setting and presentation, both in terms of keeping that original shadow war feel now twenty minutes into the future, and in terms of "this is now an alien world." I really like archons as a new enemy, the floater now given a look-over by PR. I like codices and gatekeepers for the "What the hell is that?!" vibe. But in a lot of ways other enemies fall flat for me - I think I'd have liked ADVENT troops better without the late-game plot attached to them. I do not like vipers or the new look on the mutons and berserkers. I could buy them better if the setting and presentation were different, and given the presentation I keep scratching my head over why chryssalids exist at all in this game outside retaliation/terror missions.

I don't disagree with the premise of an alien-occupied Earth per se, but a large part of my gripe is that Earth doesn't feel occupied by aliens. Even the shiny urban centers just look like generic futuristic cityscapes to me. It doesn't feel oppressive or alien to me. It doesn't feel like Earth has been invaded or is being occupied by a hostile alien race aside from the aliens themselves. The slums and wilderness and shantytowns just feel like slums and wilderness and shantytowns. There's the occasional ADVENT base, sure, but even that is just black and blocky sci-fi architecture.

The story and design of the game has a few redeeming moments for me, in set piece missions near the end, but completely aside from my disappointment that it's not Enemy Below I feel that the setting, story, and visual design of X-COM 2 are oddly kind of half-assed. Not that I question the amount of work that went into the game, I absolutely do not, but I feel X-COM 2 doesn't do enough with its own premise. Not enough to justify the use of that premise in my eyes.

Fortunately, the actual gameplay looks pretty drat fun and a solid improvement over Enemy Unknown.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Jade Star posted:

That's certainly interesting and would cause me to re-evaluate shadow strike. Though that screenshot also says the soldier has AIDS, and that a rape squad is incoming so uh...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=623425061

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jade Star posted:

The slab strikes again.

• Locked thread