Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

This thread is the only place that seems to like RE6 so I always viewed it as CD's weird obsession with explaining how bad movies are actually good.

Even on other parts of the Internet, the general reception to RE6 seems mixed. Even things like "the campaign sucks but Mercenaries mode is excellent" aren't that uncommon outside of Something Awful, I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Mercenaries No Mercy is a legit reason to fork over like 15 bucks for RE6. Probably the most fun I've had with videogames this year, since I only got to try that game mode out after the PS4 version was released.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Why are we fighting about RE6 when we should be fighting about how the old thread title was better?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not trying to convince people that like RE6 for some reason not to like it. I've been almost universally responding to people who try to shut down any suggestion I've made that it's a bad, like RE6 being good is some universal truth, or at the very least the mechanics and mercs are good which I completely disagree with. This thread feels like some sort of bizarro land where RE4 ruined the series and RE6 is amazing sometimes.

It's fine if some people like it. It just catches me off guard that people act like I have such a weird and unpopular opinion by disliking a generally panned and poorly received game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I'm not trying to convince people that like RE6 for some reason not to like it. I've been almost universally responding to people who try to shut down any suggestion I've made that it's a bad, like RE6 being good is some universal truth, or at the very least the mechanics and mercs are good which I completely disagree with. This thread feels like some sort of bizarro land where RE4 ruined the series and RE6 is amazing sometimes.

It's fine if some people like it. It just catches me off guard that people act like I have such a weird and unpopular opinion by disliking a generally panned and poorly received game.

Except, again, as I pointed out, "disliked" doesn't mean "without value" and for some reason you insist that because it was poorly received literally everything about it must be terrible which, again, is not actually the case. Even a fair number of the negative reviews of the game from critics had praise for the Mercenaries mode for example.

You're doing the thing that a lot of people on internet forums do which is to pretend like there's absolutely no midpoint between "this thing is terrible and completely without value" and "this thing is fantastic." You just keep going "literally everything is lovely" and then retreating behind public reception to defend it but ignoring the fact that the public reception isn't just "RE6 bad" and that one of the game's commonly cited flaws in both reviews and in message board posts is "there could be a good game here if it wasn't for the messy campaign."

You even say this in your post above. "RE6 is good" is not what anyone has said but that is what you take away from it. You keep basically ignoring that every single person whose made this argument to you has said "RE6 is really a seriously flawed game but it has strong core mechanics that show up best in Mercenaries Mode" and seem to think they're going "RE6 is good" without caveat.

Also nobody has been insulting RE4 except insomuch as saying that its core mechanics are more poorly developed than RE5 and 6 which is pretty much objectively true. It makes up for it with stronger and more cohesive level design and no forced co-op but RE5's take on RE4's mechanics actually have more depth and flexibility while being similar.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 31, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah there's at least one person here still mad because RE4 'ruined the series'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Well, I'm sure there is someone like that but not because they're a RE5/6 fan. The "RE4 ruined the series" people are almost universally fans of the earlier games. (And to go back, yet again, to my initial point, they're fans who preferred the game for atmosphere instead of arcade mechanics.)

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
re3 lead the series to ruin when it introduced the dreaded mercenaries mode....

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd happily acknowledge that it had certain qualities that were good if I believed that to be the case. It's like people want me to just admit the mechanics are good when I don't think they are. They felt incredibly clumsy and bloated to me to the point that I thought even basic stuff like movement speed felt way off. There are few games I have actively hated controlling and playing as much as RE6.

Obviously that's like, just my opinion man but it's weird being told that I'm just trying not to acknowledge good qualities I genuinely don't think the game has.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I liked every mainline Resident Evil game in some way or another, I guess that makes me some kind of heretic. Even the mainline game I like the least, which is 0 has some merits to it even if I found it a bit boring. Now the spinoffs like Resident Evil Survivor or Dead Aim is a different matter altogether.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

bring back resident evil outbreak

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'd argue that RE: CVX and RE0 did way more damage to the 'classic' RE style than RE3.

RE0 in particular is just a loving slog, with the partner switching, lack of item boxes and dumb enemies. Also RE: CVX dated terribly and has some of the worst voice acting in a series infamous for it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

General Morden posted:

bring back resident evil outbreak

They should port the chronicles games to VR.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I won't hear a bad word said about CV's voice acting.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

gently caress CV

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I'd happily acknowledge that it had certain qualities that were good if I believed that to be the case. It's like people want me to just admit the mechanics are good when I don't think they are. They felt incredibly clumsy and bloated to me to the point that I thought even basic stuff like movement speed felt way off. There are few games I have actively hated controlling and playing as much as RE6.

Obviously that's like, just my opinion man but it's weird being told that I'm just trying not to acknowledge good qualities I genuinely don't think the game has.

"I don't like the game" and "everything thinks everything about the game is terrible so I'm right and you're all crazy people who are making things up" are different things. You keep going for the latter then insisting that public opinion is that RE6 is the worst game ever and absolute trash which... it isn't. I can start posting excerpts from message board posts and official reviews if you want but I can't imagine that would be very fun.

An overriding complaint with RE6 is not that it is irredeemable trash but that it is muddy and unfocused. A fair number of negative reviews tend to claim that one of the three main campaigns is the 'good one', veering between Leon and Jake most often. (Chris legitimately seems the least popular) and lament the fact that there is value here overridden by the lovely parts. There's also plenty of people who went "I have no interest in Mercenaries and so I never played it but the campaign sucked" which is a totally valid opinion but also means they're not going "Mercenaries sucked too!" Very few reviews (professional or private) I can find claim that RE6 has literally no positive values whatsoever.

It's fine to think RE6 is bad but when you start making snide comments about how anyone who says anything positive about it and extrapolating that to hatred for RE4 or something then it gets weird.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

Because it did. :colbert:

Well no that's hyperbole, I just really enjoyed the atmosphere of the older games and the last mainline RE games completely lack that, there's very little tension or even fear in any situation or even GOTCHA spooky moments.

REmake to me is THE Resident Evil, its perfect in every way and its the kind of RE game I prefer though the Revelations one have done a good job of keeping that atmosphere while integrating the RE4 and onwards style of combat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I actually don't think everything about the game is irredeemable. I think if nothing else it has a decent amount of variety in settings and I think making the separate campaigns was an interesting idea. It's also absolutely packed with content even if a lot of it is of questionable quality.

The thing that people always cite as the decent part about the game is part I don't get. I honestly don't see how people think those mechanics are good and it's the only mercs mode that I disliked. I just thought the way enemy waves were set up was super boring and anticlimactic, and the focus on just endlessly meleeing for extra time didn't do it for me at all.

I don't think I was being snide. At least not intentionally. Who knows I was kind of buzzed posting about it yesterday.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RE6 is a terrible, terrible game that I and a friend had a ton of great fun with.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
If the mechanics don't click for you, then they just don't and it's not a game you'll enjoy, that's cool. I think RE6 has some of the best combat mechanics of any game, and I know some people who agree with me and others that think I'm loving insane. For me, the mechanics of 6 allow combat to flow very smoothly in a way I don't see often in games, and especially not in RE games. I feel like I have a ton of options, a ton of things I can make my character do, and most of them are useful a lot of the time instead of "when would I ever use this?" filler.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, RE6 can play like some John Woo poo poo when you get good at it.

Exactly, and I feel like I'm the one causing it rather than the game. I'm making my character do the cool poo poo rather than just hitting the "cool poo poo happens" QTE, it's a conscious plan. And that's super satisfying.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 31, 2016

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah, RE6 can play like some John Woo poo poo when you get good at it.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Convex posted:

I'd argue that RE: CVX and RE0 did way more damage to the 'classic' RE style than RE3.

RE0 in particular is just a loving slog, with the partner switching, lack of item boxes and dumb enemies. Also RE: CVX dated terribly and has some of the worst voice acting in a series infamous for it.

Code Veronica was extremely well received though when it first came out, and so was the PS2 port. Granted I haven't played it since I actually had my Dreamcast hooked up, but I'm always confused where the internet hatred of the game came from.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't played it since dreamcast either and I loved it back then. I'm kind of curious as to why people think it's so bad, but I think I'll just remember it fondly instead of playing it again to find out.

I remember thinking it felt so next gen at the time but playing exactly like the other RE games.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think when RE4 came out a lot of people looked back on CV and decided they suddenly hated it. I loved it, the only thing I didn't like about it was that it was one continuous story and there weren't two discs.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
CV's the only classic game I haven't played, but it has aged like poo poo graphically so I don't know if I really want to.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CVX is flawed heavily in some areas but I still like it more than RE3 and RE0.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I found CV to be way to long, then again I had the same problem with RE6, they both felt like games where you went "Ok this is it, its probably going stop or go into the end game now" and it just keeps going and going.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

abagofcheetos posted:

Code Veronica was extremely well received though when it first came out, and so was the PS2 port. Granted I haven't played it since I actually had my Dreamcast hooked up, but I'm always confused where the internet hatred of the game came from.

To some extent, I think the Internet "hatred" comes from CV having a lot of elements that are very easy to parody: Steve, Alfred, Claire's inexplicable gun fu at the start of the game, Wesker's sudden return, Alexia's vast combo platter of unrelated powers, the ant theme, etc. Steve in particular is some kind of standard-bearer for the concept of the unhelpful and sometimes actively detrimental NPC "ally."

It's also aged the most poorly of any of the original-flavor games, somehow, and has some of the most out-of-place puzzles. Most importantly, the one thing about it that matters is that Wesker returns from the dead, which is an unexplained side note to the game's actual plot. Like RE6, it also keeps the larger franchise's wheels spinning in lieu of actually accomplishing anything in the plot, as it's the fourth game in a row that ends with the protagonists walking/flying into the sunset, swearing to bring Umbrella down.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dead Aim best game.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
If the RE 2 Remake ever happens and is successful, I hope RE 3 comes next.

Just cut/paste Alien: Isolation, replacing the ship with a city, and the xenomorph with nemesis.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think a current gen game could do lots of neat stuff with ol' nemmy. nemesis was really all 3 had going for it and i'm surprised they never reused the idea.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Didn't Wesker only come back in the X re-release on the PS2? I thought he was absent from the original version?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I think they just added more scenes of him in the PS2 release, he was always there in the original.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Didn't Wesker only come back in the X re-release on the PS2? I thought he was absent from the original version?

He was in both versions. The PS2 version adds some extra scenes (most notably encounters with Claire and a longer ending sequence) and changes a few others (he doesn't get as hilariously owned by Alexia.)

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the ending of Chris's story in CV was big on Wesker. Hunters didn't arrive until he unleashed them and in the original he just got bitch slapped by Alexia once and that was the end of him for a bit. X made him fight a bit harder before leaving in shame and gave Claire a few moments with him.

Any new updates on the RE7 front?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think the giant-rear end locations in CVX works against it because of the backtracking.

Sooooo much backtracking

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

i remember getting the part in CVX where you get the medicine and getting stuck because i didn't they'd make you backtrack to the loving beginning of the game to help the man who looked like he had died off screen hours ago.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

i remember getting the part in CVX where you get the medicine and getting stuck because i didn't they'd make you backtrack to the loving beginning of the game to help the man who looked like he had died off screen hours ago.

They don't. The item you get from doing that is not required to beat the game. At least, I'm pretty sure.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm playing through RE2 on the Playstation and one thing I missed from that era is just the flavor text from interacting with the environment. Parasite Eve (2) did this well, too. The character monologues about what's there, sometimes throws a joke or snide remark in, then summarizes what's there. It's a little nothing detail that I always liked. Someone wrote and coded in that interactive node that explains what that stack of papers in the back corner of the room was when they didn't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

but that's optional