Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Jsor posted:

Sonic Boom's central thesis is that only Tails is strong, because he can fly.

For the thousandth time Jsor that is a METAPHOR, not LITERAL!! How many times do I have to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

are you saying that tails is not strong?

please do not be cruel to him he is just a child

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Jsor posted:

Speaking of Freedom Planet, weren't they going to add two new playable characters as DLC? Whatever happened to that?
Still in development. I wouldn't be surprised if those plans got canned over the sequel though.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

stay safe, bara tails

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

El Mido posted:

It really sucks that they could only get the karaoke version of Cosmic Eternity for the 2011 port. Spencer Nielsen's Sega CD buttrock is no substitute for TELEPORTATION YEAH

luckily there's a quick mod for the pc version that adds it back in. sonic boom is good but cosmic eternity is incredible

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Stink Terios posted:

Neither.
It's an entirely serious product by a comic industry veteran. :suicide:

Also Eclipse the Darkling is post-reboot so he's a good character.

What is real anymore

Is this edited in any way

e: As in photoshop. I can tell there's no editor.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 31, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I've been replaying it on my phone and switching between soundtracks. I like the JP one maybe a little better but they're both really excellent. Toot Toot Sanic Warrior is a better intro but Sonic boom is a better end movie song. Tidal Tempest present is amazing in both but I think the US one has a slight advantage. But Palmtree Panic is JP all the way.

Nice thing about playing Sonic CD nowadays is you don't have to limit yourself and can enjoy the excellent music in both versions and switch between them at will.

See, I think Tidal Tempest Present in USA is kinda really dull, while the JP one is amazing and atmospheric. Difference in taste I guess. Sonic Boom is great though.

Anatharon posted:

What is real anymore

Is this edited in any way

e: As in photoshop. I can tell there's no editor.

You could never edit the Ken Penders comics do be more stupid than they actually are.
What I wouldn't give to have been in the room when the guys at SEGA finally decided to take a look at what was going on in the Sonic Comics and saw the abyss stretching out before them

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 31, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

In general I prefer the JP soundtrack for ingame music, but Sonic Boom for both the intro and credits music.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Jsor posted:

Speaking of Freedom Planet, weren't they going to add two new playable characters as DLC? Whatever happened to that?

It's in some beta build in Steam, but I'm not touching it anymore because it broke a save game once. From what I understand it was promised as free DLC and not fully completed, I think they wandered off to do the WiiU port and then to Freedom Planet 2. The base game is great.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Freedom Planet was cool and I definitely had a lot of fun with it but the difficulty curve is a hot mess. The game is easy to slide through up until Battle Glacier where you just suddenly hit a sheer cliff and it just gets exponentially worse from there. The last round with Serpentine and the final boss are completely unfun garbage.

I hope to god they don't take the same design philosophy into Freedom Planet 2.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't like Battle Glacier at all but I quite like the final levels, final Serpentine, and the last phase of the final boss. :shrug:

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

beep by grandpa posted:

One of my fav things about S3&K is how it all just flows together from act to act. I really feel like I'm progressing and the entire thing feels like a big giant adventure, I always feel super pumped when the "story" kicks in about halfway through Lava Reef Zone.

Sonic 2, which I've always felt isn't nearly as good as S3&K feels to me like "okay you beat this level, now play this level". To this day I can never remember what order Oil Ocean, Mystic Cave and Hill Top Zones come in at.

The zone transitions really help for this. You don't just start in Hydrocity, you fall in it from Angel Island.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVxkZ5lZeYU

:eyepop:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRuJfhEeCe8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysGtBZX32I0

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Time to be like my hero Sonic the Hedgehog

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Just found out about this, and it is extremely my poo poo. Taxman is a goddamned wizard.

Hopefully they'll finally port his Sonic 1 & 2 remakes over to Steam during the leadup to Mania's release so I can play them with a proper controller. :argh:

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I want to fight Brass Eggman

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Jarogue posted:

:yeah:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F706lyoo_f0

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I always thought metropolis zone would go really well with loverboys working for the weekend

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
#9 Rusty Fingers - Dr. Manhattan
Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis) - Rusty Ruin Zone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srzGKfbKqWA

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Are there any actually good Sonic ROM hacks or custom games? That aren't Dreams Collection of course. I've played through the original trilogy + CD more times than I can count but would like to play something a bit fresh in anticipation for Sonic Mania.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bubsy Sonic.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2OWC5Hosv8

this song kind of owns though

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Good morning everyone, I finally got out to do my morning run today and listened to the Sonic Mania trailer music for pretty much 30 minutes straight during it and my legs felt like my body was running on a cloud of air the whole time :unsmith:

Then I got home & looked at my time...One might say...I went fast :hehe:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

marble zone is the andy williams song "music to watch girls by"

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Are there any actually good Sonic ROM hacks or custom games? That aren't Dreams Collection of course. I've played through the original trilogy + CD more times than I can count but would like to play something a bit fresh in anticipation for Sonic Mania.

Sonic Megamix is technically not done, but is really really good in its current state

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

It absolutely does. Like sonic.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Mobius Evolution is real good as is Sonia The S Factor. Other rom hacks can be found at Sonic Retro. They're pretty hardcore there. Before the Sequel, After the Sequel, and Chrono Adventure have good reviews, but those are for PC.

Sonic 3 Complete if you want to make S3&K musically more like it'd be if it was originally released as one game like it was going to be. It's great.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I wonder what happened to viper.fox and the remixes he posted in Cybershell's old Sonic LP thread. I enjoyed quite a few of those, but I can't seem to find them any more.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Sonic Before the Sequel and Sonic After the Sequel are the ones I always recommend. Super solid classic 2D Sonic gameplay with one of the most kickin' rad original soundtracks of any fangame I've played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L1TdWTpEWk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ0Yk3sOoKE

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zonekeeper posted:

Just found out about this, and it is extremely my poo poo. Taxman is a goddamned wizard.

Hopefully they'll finally port his Sonic 1 & 2 remakes over to Steam during the leadup to Mania's release so I can play them with a proper controller. :argh:

The fact that I can't yet play the Genesis Sonics on a real system with the sexy-smooth widescreen treatment that CD got annoys me to no end.
Mania should have a nice sampling platter of classic levels at least.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I wonder what happened to viper.fox and the remixes he posted in Cybershell's old Sonic LP thread. I enjoyed quite a few of those, but I can't seem to find them any more.

Looks like they're gone, that's too bad. I have a local copy of everything, gimme a bit and I'll upload them.

Edit: here they are

Fawf fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 1, 2016

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Jarogue posted:

:captainpop:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jarogue posted:

Is this from the IOS port?

I really wish they had brought those over to Steam so I could use an actual controller. The touchscreen controls are unplayable to me

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Macaluso posted:

Is this from the IOS port?

I really wish they had brought those over to Steam so I could use an actual controller. The touchscreen controls are unplayable to me

Yeah, the Christian Whitehead-made phone versions of Sonic 2 included a new Hidden Palace Zone based off of the incomplete level found in the leaked Sonic 2 beta rom, complete with the boss you see there.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It uses the Mystic Cave multiplayer music, but it works a lot better than the actual Hidden Palace music cut from the game.

Also Bluetooth controllers with phone grips are cheap and plentiful nowadays, although I'd have thought Sonic was simple enough that touch controls wouldn't be much of an issue.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It uses the Mystic Cave multiplayer music, but it works a lot better than the actual Hidden Palace music cut from the game.

Also Bluetooth controllers with phone grips are cheap and plentiful nowadays, although I'd have thought Sonic was simple enough that touch controls wouldn't be much of an issue.

Or just get a regular Bluetooth controller and plug the phone into the TV.

Xad posted:

Yeah, the Christian Whitehead-made phone versions of Sonic 2 included a new Hidden Palace Zone based off of the incomplete level found in the leaked Sonic 2 beta rom, complete with the boss you see there.

There's also a code to get into Proto Palace zone, which is laid out like the actual one from the beta with music.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Which fangame is it that unironically uses Metal Gear Rising's final boss theme in its own final boss? I know it's one of the ones by the BtS/AtS guy.