Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
They'd also be opening themselves up for criticism for repeating themselves given that Daggerfall is already the Hammerfell and High Rock TES game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

i am tim! posted:

They'd also be opening themselves up for criticism for repeating themselves given that Daggerfall is already the Hammerfell and High Rock TES game.
They repeated themselves with Dragonborn DLC too. But people were happy to see some Morrowindesque setting.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 1, 2016

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Technically just Solstheim, not mainland or Vvardenfell.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

i am tim! posted:

My guess is that Daggerfall was so long ago, and they got so many new players with Oblivion and Skyrim, that most of the existing playerbase has never played it. I'd guess it's the same with Morrowind, at least with the huge influx of Skyrim players.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
It's not like High Rock or Hammerfell in a hypothetical TES6 would look anything like they did in TES2 anyway. Also Daggerfall was limited to a specific region encompassing only a portion of both provinces. I really think we're going to see The Elder Scrolls VI: Hammerfell.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

We're all going to be dead before the next TES game comes out. Bethesda could set it in Azeroth and those drat whippersnappers in the next generation wouldn't know the difference.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah Daggerfall was relatively featureless in the landscapes and didn't have much in the way of landmarks. So if High Rock or Hammerfell appear in a future game, they'd end up looking quite different from Daggerfall. They'd also have the perfect excuse too, since all the various kingdoms ended up merging into one because of the Warp of the West.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Summerset Isles is always my dream, but deep down I know current Bethesda would gently caress it up entirely. Imagine if they actually made the city of butterfly wings...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

mitochondritom posted:

Summerset Isles is always my dream, but deep down I know current Bethesda would gently caress it up entirely. Imagine if they actually made the city of butterfly wings...

Well actually queen aeryyyyn used chim and now it all looks like rivendell

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

mitochondritom posted:

Bethesda's art isn't where I find fault. They'd make it incredibly beautiful and then you'd meet the artistically elegant Lady of the city and she'd be all like :byodame: SHAUNIZAR! ABLOO ABLOO ABLOO SHAUNIZAR! SHAUNIZAR! WHERE'S MY SHAUNIZAR! LIKE, TOTALLY, MY SHAUNIZAR IS MISSING! :byodame:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Arsten posted:

Bethesda's art isn't where I find fault. They'd make it incredibly beautiful and then you'd meet the artistically elegant Lady of the city and she'd be all like :byodame: SHAUNIZAR! ABLOO ABLOO ABLOO SHAUNIZAR! SHAUNIZAR! WHERE'S MY SHAUNIZAR! LIKE, TOTALLY, MY SHAUNIZAR IS MISSING! :byodame:

That sounds like something from Morrowind

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Wasn't Skyrim the attempt at Game of Thrones style setting?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I thought it predated Game of Thrones, at least the TV show.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vargatron posted:

I thought it predated Game of Thrones, at least the TV show.

It came out 7 months after the show premiered, but A Song of Ice and Fire was still a really popular fantasy novel series. Writing medieval fantasy and not being familiar with it would be like writing sci-fi without being familiar with Star Wars.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
It has to be Hammerfell next really. With the whole plot of Hammerfell seceding from the empire to keep fighting the Dominion, it provides a natural focus and one they could feasibly pull off. The only other place that would make sense after Skyrim would be the Dominion itself but I think even Bethesda know they do not have the technology to do justice to Summerset or Valenwood, even if they had a consistently amazing team (ha). Black Marsh would be kind of cool but I don't think there's really much going on there at the moment? Also it would be pretty hard to make it feel super isolated and dangerous while still being fun to play and actually having cities etc.

e: How is Valenwood for example in ESO? I take it they just ditched the walking trees entirely and made it just Avatar treehouse land?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

It came out 7 months after the show premiered, but A Song of Ice and Fire was still a really popular fantasy novel series. Writing medieval fantasy and not being familiar with it would be like writing sci-fi without being familiar with Star Wars.

Writing sci-fi without being familiar with Star Wars would be to the author's benefit, except, perhaps as a cautionary tale.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

ThomasPaine posted:

e: How is Valenwood for example in ESO? I take it they just ditched the walking trees entirely and made it just Avatar treehouse land?
Yes, a boring jungle with some big trees, because some mysterious boring reason (retcon). Imgas (monkeys that imitate elves) are missing too.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

http://www.egmnow.com/platforms/pc/bethesdas-todd-howard-on-turning-down-a-chance-to-make-a-song-of-fire-and-ice-titles/

Bethesda was approached to make games using the Game of Thrones IP, but they declined the offer.

Dwesa posted:

Yes, a boring jungle with some big trees, because some mysterious boring reason (retcon). Imgas (monkeys that imitate elves) are missing too.

Every time I read something about ESO in this thread, I feel disappointed.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Oh boy, it's the "what the next Elder Scrolls game should be" talk again.

Firstly, I would curb all enthusiasm about the more exotic lands like Elsweyr or Valenwood, since they will never fully recreate all the interesting parts we've heard about. I mean, you really expect them to include all Khajiit subraces?

I have to agree with Hammerfell as the next area, since that one seems the most down to earth setting remaining, also after all this snow, I wouldn't mind to have some desert adventures.
For more exotic areas they could do Summerset Isle, it would even make sense as a followup on the whole Thalmor plot. Even if they would go full Lord of the Rings of that place it would look unique enough and I don't think there are many things they can ruin there. They can focus on magic again, which is something people have been complaining about in Skyrim.
They could potentially do Black Marsh, just make a bigger, fantasy version of Far Harbor/Point Lookout and go full with the Lovecraft references.

I wouldn't even dream of continents outside of Tamriel, until they actually finish with the remaining countries, maybe as a DLC at most.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The next Elder Scrolls game should be set on the Khajit moon colonies.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I say don't do a whole province. There's no need to eat up their IP slice by slice, just make an area of hammerfell or wherever and of course make the actual game world as big as possible.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Every time I read something about ESO in this thread, I feel disappointed.
It's not nearly that bad: the MMO limitations hurt it (and while they are not present the Imga are mentioned in a few places), but it's not a bad game and the recent expansions have writing that is actually good, with the Thieves' Guild being my favourite.

Strategic Tea posted:

I say don't do a whole province. There's no need to eat up their IP slice by slice, just make an area of hammerfell or wherever and of course make the actual game world as big as possible.
I agree with this: there is a precedent with Morrowind and having a "smaller" area would allow them flesh it out properly and not run into the scaling issue where you have 4-5 supposedly major cities that have 10-20 actual residents each.
The Witcher 3 showed that this can work well with Novigrad feeling like an actual city, and as someone that likes to play stealthy/thief-y characters having one highly-detailed city that I can clean out on a massive crime spree would make me really happy. :ninja:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

It is not that bad, but it could be better. If I ignore lore-breaking and rather dull and generic execution of areas that would be otherwise interesting, there are many other things in which it fails as a MMO. PvP is a horrible lagfest, there is no freedom in builds (for example forget about using summoned creatures, they are useless and always were), classes and races are unbalanced and devs apparently prefer to spend time on hiding stuff behind a paywall and making reskins for cosmetic items rather on listening to feedback related to bugs and balance.
It has an Elder Scrolls setting and pretty graphics, but otherwise...

radintorov posted:

The Witcher 3 showed that this can work well with Novigrad feeling like an actual city, and as someone that likes to play stealthy/thief-y characters having one highly-detailed city that I can clean out on a massive crime spree would make me really happy. :ninja:
There is a large problem though. Witcher 3 isn't running on Gamebryo engine.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

See? Horses can't do push-ups in Gamebryo, step up your game Bethesda.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

i am tim! posted:

See? Horses can't do push-ups in Gamebryo, step up your game Bethesda.
Bethesda's horses consider gravity to be optional.

And allow you to do some cardio while you're riding them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93W6mB0ZqCM

Beat that. :colbert:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
That was certainly an interesting horseback combat style the guy was using. :allears:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Raygereio posted:

I like how the bear wasn't attacking the horse guy and was just watching him. Even NPCs were confused!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

radintorov posted:

That was certainly an interesting horseback combat style the guy was using. :allears:

I like how the bear gave up and decided to attack the player instead.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

http://www.egmnow.com/platforms/pc/bethesdas-todd-howard-on-turning-down-a-chance-to-make-a-song-of-fire-and-ice-titles/

Bethesda was approached to make games using the Game of Thrones IP, but they declined the offer.

Good, franchise licensed games are a pain. Licensing agreements expire after a while, there are a lot of old Bethesda Terminator games that they can't sell on GOG/Steam because of that. Not Bethesda, but that's also why you can't find the old Dune games either.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 2, 2016

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Raygereio posted:

Bethesda's horses consider gravity to be optional.

I remember when Skyrim came out my coworker and I were trying to figure out what good the horses were since they didn't move any faster than running. A day later he came in telling me about how he scaled a mountain on his horse, and I told him how mine cleared all the bandits off of the wall of a fort while I tangoed with one dude in the courtyard.

Skyrim's horses are metal as gently caress.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Is there an Elder Scrolls Legends thread anywhere? It seems like they're opening up the beta. I applied last night and got accepted like 5 hours later.

It's very hearthstone-esque, with no instants (kinda), one mana per turn automatically, creatures preserve health values across turns, and there's no blocking. There are health thresholds every 5 health where once broken, the player taking damage immediately draws a card and if it's a "prophecy" card they can choose to play it immediately for free, like a weird combination of mtg instants and hs secrets. There's also a dual lane setup where creatures can't attack across lanes. My initial impressions are fairly positive, actually. They've learned some lessons from Hearthstone about how a digital CCG should "feel," and the twists on the gameplay mechanics aren't major but they seem to work pretty well so far.

I don't know how to feel about the prophecy system yet. I eked out a close game when I miraculously drew a one-of prophecy card in my deck that froze an enemy creature who was about to attack for lethal. In Hearthstone, you always know when an enemy has a secret up and from which class it comes from, and in MtG you can monitor their mana usage and play around untapped land and their hand size. But in this it feels like the only thing you can do is hope and pray they don't topdeck a prophecy card that counters your play. Actually, as I type that out, that sounds pretty bad.

Outside of that one instance of me screwing someone over with a prophecy though, it has been pretty cool. There's a lot of interesting tactical consideration for which lanes you play your creatures in. There aren't any adjacency buffs like there are in Hearthstone, but there are lane buffs, lane enchantments, lane AoEs, etc. It's actually a really cool mechanic.

I played a Solo Arena run (which seems almost illegally similar to Hearthstone's Arena drafting system) where I got the max number of wins but only got half of my buy-in gold back (plus a "promotion bonus," whatever that is). I hope that the PvP arena mode rewards more gold because if you always lose gold no matter what, that will probably kill the entire game for me. Arena is my favorite Hearthstone mode and the best part about it is how you can earn back your gold and then some if you do well enough. I did get two legendaries after that run though, I have no idea if that's common or not. Maybe I got obscenely lucky.

Anyway, I think it has potential. I think its more dour atmosphere might make it less appealing to casual players than Hearthstone though, but I hope it's decently successful and that they add to it. And maybe make some changes to the prophecy system if it will be as annoying as it seems like it might be.

edit: Oh also the tutorial is way too freaking long.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 4, 2016

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm enjoying the game so far, I dig the shadow lane a lot since it allows you to play some more greedy minions that no way would survive a single turn in hearthstone, so it's fun that way.

I'm playing an aggressive orc-heavy Strength/Willpower deck and I'm having fun, although I'm probably just playing against terrible people.

When I did my first free Solo Arena run I got a really decent amount of gold plus some dust and a pack, but from what I read on reddit eventually it gets really hard when you try it again, and it's more worth it for you to play the Versus Arena against real people (which makes sense).

There's definitely potential to it. It just feels weird going from hearthstone to elder scrolls because of the amount of cards alone.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Been playing Legends as well and while it has the usual CCG issue that if game decides not to give you the cards you need there isn't much you can do, I do like the mechanics and the few single race gimmick decks I made seem to be working alright.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I don't like lanes and deck size, otherwise the game is very pretty.
I don't see myself playing it if it doesn't get enough audience, at least a fraction of HS, there's no way I could make sense of it without streams, tier lists etc. It probably has a chance because it so far seems better than all other HS wannabes.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I don't know how I feel about a lot of the art. The dark elves in particular seem a lot more generic.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Man Whore posted:

I don't know how I feel about a lot of the art. The dark elves in particular seem a lot more generic.

i can pinpoint the exact moment i was disappointed in oblivion

it was when a dark elf male spoke like an altmer

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mortimer posted:

I said it before but mine was finally seeing Mannimarco after spending the entire Mage's Guild quest using the ingame library to read about him.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Mortimer posted:

I thought this too for a while, but I went back and wondered why in Morrowind, they call you outlander even if you're a Dunmer, and they explain it in MW that it's obvious that you're an outlander because your voice doesn't have the gritty bass of other Dunmer because you didn't grow up inhaling Ash your whole life.

All those Dunmer in Cyrodiil and to a lesser extent Skyrim, they're all outlanders.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I thought they had the gravelly voice because (actually seriously) one of them started talking in harsher tones to be more masculine and it devolved into a "who has the manlier voice" contest across the whole culture. Then Oblivion said "well they don't do it in Cyrodiil" and gave them the default elf voice.

e: or maybe it was just ash nevermind
e2: I like that they brought back the original dark elf VA to voice Saint Jiub in Dawnguard, that was probably the best part of Dawnguard.
e3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfOyk9XXnQc

mbt fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Speaking of Elder Scrolls Legends (that was the original topic I guess), it just went open Beta.