Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i change the water every time and use an electric kettle/hot tap to get it to temp faster. considering i can't hold my hands under the water at full heat its near enough ready to sous vide without the kettle most times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.
I use a 6qt container a lot of the time, gets up to temp faster and is usually enough room for me cooking for two. Also I never bother to detach the Anova when I dump the water into the sink, and when I refill it with hot tap water it reads 121F. I also start the Anova once the tap water hits the min fill line.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, getting a smaller Cambro might be the right thing.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Has anyone got a sweet cut out lid for your sv tub?

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.
I got lids with both my large and small tubs that I was easily able to cut out with kitchen shears. They're Rubbermaid Commercial instead of Cambro, because they were cheaper and Amazon Prime-eligible.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

namaste faggots posted:

Has anyone got a sweet cut out lid for your sv tub?

Not sweet, I just cut the corner off the Cambro lid with scissors. The hole is too big for my new circulator, but not by much. I've considered getting another lid and Dremeling a better fit.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just dremeled mine. Subjunctive I use a water bucket heater hooked up to a relay so I can use a full 1800W circuit. That works very well in my 20 qt container that I keep reasonably full. What I'm saying is that 1500W or higher if you can find it should be much better.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

It's on the kitchen counter, I'm not sure what you mean by counterbalance. It's quite solid there with 14+ kg of water in it.

I do appreciate your concern for my finances, though.

Sorry I ment "counterspace", that was one hell of an autocorrect. Also I just had an idea, have you considered using an immersion heater? Using this in combo with your sous vide should heat up the water much faster. You just have to switch off and remove the heater once you are close to your temperature goal.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 31, 2016

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Subjunctive posted:

There is a water shortage condition where I was (California), but I'm also lazy and lugging around a full 16qt Cambro to dump half of it in a pot (plus detaching/reattaching circulator) is annoying.

Thanks, upthread goon, for the Polyscience recommendation. I'll check it out. I'll also consider not being lazy.

Heatstick/immersion heater will speed things up considerably and probably be the cheap/easy route.
https://www.amazon.com/Large-Heater-Coffee-Heating-Cooking/dp/B00FO8FY68?ie=UTF8&pc_redir=1413886912&ref_=redir_mobile_desktop&robot_redir=1
There are plenty of more expensive, fancier heaters. Lots of them are bulkhead mount heaters, lots of other ones are bucket heaters meant to keep water from freezing in the winter so it's sort of a minefield of confusion. All of them should really be on a GFCI outlet/circuit/cheater.

e: oh dammit I missed the new page. Well at least I linked one :colbert:

Karl Hungus
Sep 28, 2001
Mine dispatcher says there's something wrong mitt deine kable.
Nap Ghost
I coated a 2lb Pork Shoulder in a mix of ancho, garlic, and other spices. Sous Vide 24 hours at 62 degrees. I poured off the liquid to a container as it was super SPICY. The meat is incredible as a base for anything.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well poo poo. The latest update for the Anova Android App seems to be faulty. I was unable to connect properly. When I set a temperature it always sprang back to the previous one. And then said my Anova wasn't connected. Tried repairing, setup etc and ended up using it in manual mode. There are several complaints about this in Google play, so I am not the only one.
I have an iPhone 5 lying around that I don't use so it wasn't charged, I will test the iOS app tomorrow but drat, why do they have to mess with the fully featured and working app?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

On a whim I borrowed by brother's plumbing blowtorch to try that method of searing a new york strip I puddled today. Came out pretty great, and easier (for me) than pan searing, though next time I'm putting some butter in the vac bag with the steak before I puddle, I think. Let it melt and flavor the steak while cooking before I pat it dry for torching. Does that make any sense?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

On a whim I borrowed by brother's plumbing blowtorch to try that method of searing a new york strip I puddled today. Came out pretty great, and easier (for me) than pan searing, though next time I'm putting some butter in the vac bag with the steak before I puddle, I think. Let it melt and flavor the steak while cooking before I pat it dry for torching. Does that make any sense?

It does, but it isnt a good idea.

quote:

Intuitively you may think that adding a flavorful fat like butter or olive oil will in turn help create a more flavorful steak, but in fact it turns out that you achieves the opposite goal: it dilutes flavor. Fat-soluble flavor compounds dissolve in the melted butter or oil and end up going down the drain later. Similarly, flavors extracted from aromatics end up diluted.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html#addfat

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Maybe stop pouring butter down your drain though.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Vizzled a joint of beef medium rare last night (5h @ 60c). Colour was perfect, but the meat was still a little dry. I even basted it with a herb and beef dripping paste because it looked a little lean.

And are there any tips on keeping the meat warm when you've seared it and are loving around with the rest of the meal? By the time I served it was a tad cold.

Still, loving around with ziploc bags trying to get them to seal and stay sealed pretty much... sealed the deal... on getting that chamber vac. Just got to go into a shop with one in stock to see if it's big enough.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
You could try to put threat on a plate, cover in foul and put it in the microwave (smaller compartment conserves heat) or do the same and put your oven to 50 degrees C, not sure whether that would dry out the meat though.

As for unlocks, what was the problem? I use them until I can be arsed to sift through vacuum sealer reviews and find it quite easy to do.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Horse Clocks posted:

Vizzled a joint of beef medium rare last night (5h @ 60c). Colour was perfect, but the meat was still a little dry. I even basted it with a herb and beef dripping paste because it looked a little lean.

And are there any tips on keeping the meat warm when you've seared it and are loving around with the rest of the meal? By the time I served it was a tad cold.

Still, loving around with ziploc bags trying to get them to seal and stay sealed pretty much... sealed the deal... on getting that chamber vac. Just got to go into a shop with one in stock to see if it's big enough.

I would try taking the time down. I find really lean meats pick up a tannin-like texture when sous vided for too long. As for searing it off, just make that the last step before everything hits the table.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
I just leave the meat in the sous vide while I finish doing any other stuff and sear it off last as it only takes 2-4 minutes, and for most things nobody is going to be able to notice a difference from 10-30 extra minutes in the sous vide.

I find that flipping the opening of my ziplocs before putting food in makes a big difference on getting a good seal, as then you don't get seasoning/juice in the zipper which is typically the cause of a bad seal.

Biggest game changer from my $20 vacuum sealer is being able to prep and season a bunch of meat at once, then vacuum seal it and stick it back in the fridge/freezer ready-to-sous-vide. If I'm going to sous vide something immediately after prepping it, I still usually just use ziplocs.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Got that pulled pork Kenji recipe going. Put it in totally frozen though, how much do you guys think that should add on to the cook? An hour or two?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Just did baby back ribs yesterday at 165f for 12 hours. Absolute magic.

Sometimes its hard for me to enjoy food this good because I fee like this method is almost like cheating. All I had to do was spice things up accordingly, bag it, throw it in a hot puddle, and wait.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

G-III posted:

Sometimes its hard for me to enjoy food this good because I fee like this method is almost like cheating. All I had to do was spice things up accordingly, bag it, throw it in a hot puddle, and wait.

How did you finish them?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

qutius posted:

How did you finish them?

I rub an extra layer of dry rub that I reserved (mostly just a mixture of crushed peppercorn, salt, brown sugar, and lots of paprika) the brush on a nice layer of chosen BBQ sauce.

Rather than user a searzall I just put the rack on a baking sheet and threw it in the oven on broil to caremlize the BBQ sauce and crust up just a smidge.

I didn't want too harsh of a bark on the ribs since my wife just had two of her wisdom teeth pulled earlier last week and was looking for something very soft to chew. Sous vide baby back ribs when done at 165f for 12 hours ends up with this super tender texture you can eat off the bone with just a fork.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

G-III posted:

It makes eating at restaurants more difficult too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I dunno, I was so disappointed with the spare ribs SV that I'd never try it again since I have a smoker anyway.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Intuition you've failed me again :arghfist::saddowns:

Thinking about buying a Searzall attachment for my TS4000 torch, now that I know I rather like torching compared to pan searing. I've seen a few posts about it in here, how well does it work at eliminating the (admittedly very slight) gassy aroma from the food?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Searzall specifically asks for a TS8000.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Having used the Searzall on both a 4000 and an 8000, I would say don't even bother getting it if you're not getting an 8000 torch head. Even then I'm kind of meh on the whole thing. It has its uses, but it's not like I had hoped it would be.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
I like the Searzall but it's definitely not a replacement for searing in a super-hot cast-iron pan. Can't beat the crust of the latter.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The only time I pull mine is when I have an uneven surface.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks, noted on getting the right torch head. On my test sample size of one (:v:) I didn't notice a ton of difference in taste or appearance between the torch and cast iron stuff I've done before; only differences to me were there was a lot less cleanup with the torch in trade for the very slight gassy aroma. :shrug:

I'll try it some more with the borrowed torch before I go buying my own and thinking about a Searzall I suppose, I've got another new york and some chicken breasts in the freezer.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
You'll never get a crust like this with the searzall:

Kenji's solution to the gassy aroma is to sear _and_ torch, the heat from searing does a better job at combusting the fuel to remove the off aromas. The searzall also gets rid of the smell.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

As a searzall owner and a cast iron pan owner the cast iron is the perfect tool for the job of searing a steak.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'll happily accept your arguments but I found the torch way less of a pain in the rear end than the pan sear, so :v:

(and comes with less irrational fear of oil splatter burns to boot, i'm wearing gloves and using a splatter guard and still get kinda spooked :saddowns: )

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

My og ANOVA is on way out I fear. Are any of the competitors or new models significantly better or worse? I don't really care about wifi, blue tooth or apps.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I'll happily accept your arguments but I found the torch way less of a pain in the rear end than the pan sear, so :v:

(and comes with less irrational fear of oil splatter burns to boot, i'm wearing gloves and using a splatter guard and still get kinda spooked :saddowns: )

How much oil are you using in your pan? You are not supposed to deep fry your steak. I use ~2 tbsp of oil and add a tiny chunk of butter prior to dumping the steak in. Yes it sprays a bit, but the drops are too small to cause serious pain.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Sounds like you're using way too much oil. I've never been splattered with anything approaching a dangerous amount of hot oil while searing meat.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Hopper posted:

How much oil are you using in your pan? You are not supposed to deep fry your steak. I use ~2 tbsp of oil and add a tiny chunk of butter prior to dumping the steak in. Yes it sprays a bit, but the drops are too small to cause serious pain.

I mean. You totally can deep fry your steak.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
holy poo poo gently caress the latest anova app and wifi pairing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hopper posted:

I did say irrational! :v:

(Yeah I only use like 1tsp too I just have a weird phobia going or something)

(edit) I think for my own edification and satisfaction I'm gonna cook both my remaining strips and sear one in the pan, the other with the torch (I know combining the two is supposedly the best way but I'm comparing here), see if I was right yesterday and there isn't much difference to my palate. Cut up what I don't eat and use it for sammiches tomorrow. Yeaaaah good plan.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

If anyone cares, cooked em both, the pan sear did come out slightly better. But only slightly, at least to my mouth, and the torch is more fun because I'm a dork, so there you go I guess.