Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Lasers could already shoot down aircraft and missiles in the prototype phase, and their range is even better in vacuum, without the air literally getting in the way.

It's just a matter of scaling them up and running them on dedicated generators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
If you have knowledge of the enemy's propulsion systems you can predict their potential movements and subsequently hit where they will be. Or attempt too. Fill the intervening spac with projectiles can force them into the space where there are other projectiles or are easier targets for other weapons platforms. Missiles aren't the greatest of weapons because lasers would make fantastic point defense, heavily negating their usefulness. Kinetic kill would probably useful against smaller ships or fighters of some kind.

I'll be honest i want to less play this game and more play any kind of space combat game now.

E: if youre using so heavily don't forget about heat dissipation. While you dont have to worry about ammunition besides power, or any relevant gas mediums. The heat produced by the lasers is important and its not easy to ditch the heat in a vacuum.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 26, 2016

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
It's safe to assume all the space combat in this game will just be like the VTOL mission from blops3, right?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It will most likely be virtually identical but in SPEHSS

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Huh. That part wasn't particularly not-fun but I can't imagine anyone having enjoyed it enough that they'd be excited to hear that it's becoming a larger part of the campaign. I mean, in co-op it was kind of cool because it gave you the option to have one or two players disembark and do objectives while the others provided air support, but I imagine in single-player you'd just have to get out because you're the only person who can flip the switches or whatever.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

If you have knowledge of the enemy's propulsion systems you can predict their potential movements and subsequently hit where they will be. Or attempt too. Fill the intervening spac with projectiles can force them into the space where there are other projectiles or are easier targets for other weapons platforms. Missiles aren't the greatest of weapons because lasers would make fantastic point defense, heavily negating their usefulness. Kinetic kill would probably useful against smaller ships or fighters of some kind.

I'll be honest i want to less play this game and more play any kind of space combat game now.

E: if youre using so heavily don't forget about heat dissipation. While you dont have to worry about ammunition besides power, or any relevant gas mediums. The heat produced by the lasers is important and its not easy to ditch the heat in a vacuum.

1.) Propulsion performance is classified in many areas for the latest combat aircraft (flight ceiling, rate of climb, for just two), what makes you think a future military will be open about it?

2.) loving :lol: at "filling the intervening space" (a 3D area measured in hundreds to thousands of cubic kilometers) with projectiles. Naval craft weren't able to do that, and they fight in 2d. And you're forgetting how missiles work; you don't fire one big one, you fire hundreds of small ones to overwhelm the defense. Same with single-pilot craft; you stack as many as they can hold for hundreds more.

3.) Because you don't have ammo storage, you just use more lasers and generators. And you rotate between weapons to maintain heat dissipation. And the extra generators can double as emergency power through rerouting.
Ammo is both an explosive hazard, doesn't serve secondary function that can ensure post-battle survival, and if not machine loaded, dangerous to handle in unexpected high G maneuvers (like evasion).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 26, 2016

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Mill Village posted:

Nah, BO3 is the only COD story that's incoherent nonsense. People had to pause videos of the loading screens to figure out what the heck was going on. It made David Cage's storytelling good in comparison.

It's the dying dream of a cyber wizard. What's so hard to understand?

Mister Macys posted:

1.) Propulsion performance is classified in many areas for current aircraft (flight ceiling, rate of climb, for just two), what makes you think a future military will be open about it?

2.) Because you don't have ammo storage, you just use more lasers and generators. And you rotate between weapons to maintain heat dissipation. And the extra generators can double as emergency power through rerouting.
Ammo is both an explosive hazard, doesn't serve secondary function that can ensure post-battle survival, and if not machine loaded, dangerous to handle in unexpected high G maneuvers (like evasion).

1) while they probably won't be giving out pamphlets on their capability, we'd be able to record their capabilities based on observation.

2. Mass drivers don't need warheads. Non-nuclear warheads in missiles are dangerous as are the extra then numerous cooling and power plant systems you'd need to power the lasers.

Lasers aren't bad, but you can't rely solely on them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You do realize that the only information the US got on Soviet aircraft was through defection, espionage, or outright theft of the craft via a tertiary country, right?
The US created the F15 because they thought a bomber intercept craft (The Foxbat) was a superiority fighter, simply because it had a large tail area. That's how good "observation" is.

Mass drivers are too slow. Their top speed is limited by basic physics. to go at a significant fraction of light, you suffer from the same force in recoil.
Simply firing them at each other would alter each ship's courses as they fired, making their targeting useless, because instrument/sensor feedback is limited by the speed of light.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 26, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mister Macys posted:

And you rotate between weapons to maintain heat dissipation.
You need to have systems in place to cool them at all, so rotating doesn't make much sense - either you'd have the capacity to vent off all their generated heat, or you'd use them at a lower rate of fire.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You don't use one big cooling system for all weapons, you use multiple smaller (and redundant) systems for separate banks of weaponry, and you cycle through the groupings.

This is space, the most dangerous place a human can be. You need to think redundancies and decentralized.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 26, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Don't worry, I misread you as advocating firing one group until they essentially overheated, then moving to another group while the first cooled down, but what you meant was essentially my point which was that you would just fire different banks at the same constant rate at different times so that none of them overheated.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Eh, what can I say, space combat is an obsession of mine. It has so many things going against it that just don't work in fiction, and so the near future genre irks me.
It's why I prefer my sci-fi to be so far in the future you can just say, "nanomachines and space magic".

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Macys, you might like the Ark Royal books by Chris Nuttal. Very cool and realistic space combat, though the second trilogy is largely focused on politics. Still, a good read overall.

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008
Macys, you might also like dudes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Not unless they have an SA account and play CoD.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Gay gamers for Christ.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SpookyLizard posted:

It's the dying dream of a cyber wizard. What's so hard to understand?

yep. your "living" through the corrupted memories of stabler but with faces and names changed. and then AM shows up. its an intersting idea and it has a ambiguous
dream like quality to it. but at the end of the day, the game feels meh because "you" accomplished nothing. it feels like the writing of far cry 3 where they tried to make it way "deeper" then it needed to be. its why i liked AW alot better. it was a simple but decent plot and kevin spacey hams it the gently caress up making it great. even ghosts as crap as it is, at least you have some funish set pieces. BO3 has jack poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 31, 2016

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Its clear the plot got away from them, but the game lets you blow up robots or shoot swarms of flaming robots bees with a wave of your hands, so i can be pretty forgiving. Its got more creativity poured into than most of the rest of the series.

Ps mass drivers own.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Actually, the plot of AW is only decent if you consider 'Atlas Shrugged' to be good literature.
Kevin Spacey is the only thing that makes a story that stupid fun.
The idea of private military being more efficient was completely and utterly disproven in the poo poo show that was Iraq 2.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 1, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Mister Macys posted:

Actually, the plot of AW is only decent if you consider 'Atlas Shrugged' to be good literature.
The idea of private military being more efficient was completely and utterly disproven in the poo poo show that was Iraq 2.

For some reason I downloaded that dumb Heroes game for the iOS. I saw Menendez in there and thought, "You better have Kevin Spacey as a Hero".

There wasn't any yet. Don't play Call of Duty Heroes.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
PRESS F TO PAY RESPECTS

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mister Macys posted:

AW's 4 hours of plot is both good and cool despite my own inability to get through even half of Atlas Shrugged.

AW is not intended to be at all a realistic portrayal of future PMC efficiency, but rather it is a realistic portrayal of that one guy from that one TV show and how HE would get poo poo done if he had an omnipresent PMC with exoskeletons and powered armor as standard equipment at his disposal (which is to say, go ham as much as possible, commit massive amounts of war crimes, and fall off a building).

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Everything is immediately improved by the presence of Kevin Spacey. Think of how many more likes the Youtube trailers for Infinity Warfare would get if he was in them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

AW's 4 hours of plot is both good and cool despite my own inability to get through even half of Atlas Shrugged.

AW is not intended to be at all a realistic portrayal of future PMC efficiency, but rather it is a realistic portrayal of that one guy from that one TV show and how HE would get poo poo done if he had an omnipresent PMC with exoskeletons and powered armor as standard equipment at his disposal (which is to say, go ham as much as possible, commit massive amounts of war crimes, and fall off a building).

I find that every campaign in a CoD game is "What Republican hawks wish was the way their foreign policy worked."

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

I find that every campaign in a CoD game is "What Republican hawks wish was the way their foreign policy worked."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hPwZM7h1UE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR4vlp5yWKk

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mister Macys posted:

Your reading doesn't make any sense.

Modern Warfare is actually "What happens if Republican hawks get what they wish for and are not prepared to handle it." Like seriously, NOTHING goes well for anyone in Modern Warfare except maybe for Russia, which escapes any real reprisals for the carnage it inflicts around the world. If MW as a whole was a Republican fantasy, the US invasion would have been handled the day it happened, we would have been the ones to nuke the Russians without any consequences, and we would have actually gone on that rampage through Russia that was hinted at by the end of the DC missions in MW2. Instead, pretty much every US main character dies in some overly dramatic but ultimately needless way, and ultimately the loving British save the world having donated all their spiritual energy to Captain Price in the final battle against Makarov's Perfect Form.

That aside, the first three CoDs were "Michael Bay's WW2", Blops 1 and 2 are the "Hey guys maybe Treyarch isn't total garbage, BTW do you like alternate history" era, and now we're in the "Hey You Do Know That Videogames Are Supposed To Be Fun" era, starting around the time of Ghosts (which still fits the theme because you are supposed to ask yourself "Am I actually having any fun at all" when playing Ghosts")

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I can't wait for the future era of warfare to end and we jump to the time traveling era of warfare.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I am excited for Infinite Warfare. I like space, I like games set in space, and I like the fact that this is basically everything that Squadron 42 (the single player game for Star Citizen) was promised to be. It looks like a lot of dumb fun and if it pisses off a bunch of space sim nerds then even better.

Also actual space combat is boring and involves lots of math and waiting. Give me WW2 air combat pew pew any day.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Also actual space combat is boring and involves lots of math and waiting. Give me WW2 air combat pew pew any day.

The best space combat games ever pretty much pay no attention to any aspect of 'realism' because realism in videogames eats a lake of dicks on a good day.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Mill Village posted:

Everything is immediately improved by the presence of Kevin Spacey. Think of how many more likes the Youtube trailers for Infinity Warfare would get if he was in them.

I hope someone dubs over his work from Nine Lives onto a COD trailer and then vice versa for the Nine Lives trailer

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The best space combat games ever pretty much pay no attention to any aspect of 'realism' because realism in videogames eats a lake of dicks on a good day.

Freespace 2 was plenty real, friend.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Freespace 2 was plenty real, friend.

Nothing about Freespace 2 was realistic, which is why it owns

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I can't wait for the future era of warfare to end and we jump to the time traveling era of warfare.

Next will be Steampunk Warfare.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Your reading doesn't make any sense.

Modern Warfare is actually "What happens if Republican hawks get what they wish for and are not prepared to handle it." Like seriously, NOTHING goes well for anyone in Modern Warfare except maybe for Russia, which escapes any real reprisals for the carnage it inflicts around the world. If MW as a whole was a Republican fantasy, the US invasion would have been handled the day it happened, we would have been the ones to nuke the Russians without any consequences, and we would have actually gone on that rampage through Russia that was hinted at by the end of the DC missions in MW2. Instead, pretty much every US main character dies in some overly dramatic but ultimately needless way, and ultimately the loving British save the world having donated all their spiritual energy to Captain Price in the final battle against Makarov's Perfect Form.

That aside, the first three CoDs were "Michael Bay's WW2", Blops 1 and 2 are the "Hey guys maybe Treyarch isn't total garbage, BTW do you like alternate history" era, and now we're in the "Hey You Do Know That Videogames Are Supposed To Be Fun" era, starting around the time of Ghosts (which still fits the theme because you are supposed to ask yourself "Am I actually having any fun at all" when playing Ghosts")

"There you go again." :rolleyes:

They beat Russia, and torture works. :patriot:

The bad stuff is just "details".

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 2, 2016

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Here's a French commercial showing some gameplay on the Moon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKO8O6sOukE

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

This cutscene shows the lead character for the singleplayer. Looks like a COD cutscene with COD graphics, doing COD things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWeeRa3LPxg

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Yah but where's the fuckin' multiplayer

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

They forgot to record it before implementing all the free to pay features, so now they have to grind the accounts before they can show any decent content. :v:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

MP will probably be shown in September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:lol: if you're looking forward to this.

• Locked thread