Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

OctoberBlues posted:

Mainly because I am a hypocrite. Also I tell myself that at least the NCAA hasn't gone out of their way to lie about it and spread misinformation like the NFL has. Or maybe they have and I just don't know about it. :shrug:

The NCAA as a whole hasn't, but whatever 'it' you want to bring up I bet one of the institutions has lied and spread misinformation about. And they probably have not been adequately punished unless they tried to stonewall the NCAA investigators, which is all they really come down hard on people for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Grittybeard posted:

The NCAA as a whole hasn't

The NCAA invented the term "student-athlete" in 1964 so they wouldn't have to pay worker's compensation claims

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

The chaos and the pageantry and unique cultures of college football make it my favorite sport. The NFL feels stale and samey to me. There's really nothing in sports that compares to like, Clemson running down the hill or Wisconsin turning a clichéd song into something genuinely exciting. And on field there's a lot more creativity than what college basketball offers.

The NFL used to have that in some respects The Dawg Pound was a thing, Green Bay's fanbase, the Baltimore Colts having a marching band, etc, etc, etc.

But all of those have been pounded into being (like you said) sterile.

The upsets in the NFL have also gotten more and more rare. I keep stressing it, but the whole "NFL PARITY" meme is not a thing in the AFC. If I ever see the Browns make the playoffs within the next 5 years, let alone the DIVISION? I'll be stunned. Same goes with the Bills, Titans, and other teams that have been relegated to being irrelevant because the NFL has made itself into being all about QB play.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I'd like to say I've dialed back my NFL fandom because of the moral problems associated with watching football but watching Tom Brady pound the Jets into submission for 15 years also has something to do with it.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Football is a bloodsport you have to put aside moral problems in order to enjoy it anyhow

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

FuzzySkinner posted:

The upsets in the NFL have also gotten more and more rare. I keep stressing it, but the whole "NFL PARITY" meme is not a thing in the AFC. If I ever see the Browns make the playoffs within the next 5 years, let alone the DIVISION? I'll be stunned. Same goes with the Bills, Titans, and other teams that have been relegated to being irrelevant because the NFL has made itself into being all about QB play.

Parity isn't a magic word that guarantees success for everyone. You still need, you know, smart front offices and coaches, which none of those teams you mentioned had or currently have.

It's not Tom Brady or Big Ben's fault that your team blows draft picks on poo poo like Johnny Manziel and Brandon Weeden.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ElwoodCuse posted:

The NCAA invented the term "student-athlete" in 1964 so they wouldn't have to pay worker's compensation claims

Yeah this is true enough, I stand corrected.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

When Penn State was in the sanctions, football was actually more fun. It didn't matter if there was a win or a loss. It was just a game to watch. I even missed a few games and the world didn't come to an end!

Now I care again and I kind of hate it. It was more fun when I didn't care. Just want to watch the football men try to win their game and if they don't oh well whatever try again next time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That was a nice part of watching MSU between Saban and Dantonio but I much prefer the version that wins a lot of games

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I like the NFL because I like when the big guys hit each other.

Also I don't watch any NCAA sport because I'm not down with indentured servitude.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Benne posted:

Parity isn't a magic word that guarantees success for everyone. You still need, you know, smart front offices and coaches, which none of those teams you mentioned had or currently have.

It's not Tom Brady or Big Ben's fault that your team blows draft picks on poo poo like Johnny Manziel and Brandon Weeden.

No that's the fault of their elite talent hobos.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Benne posted:

That's fine.

You try playing in a division where two of the teams in there are going to be consistent playoff teams until their future HOF QB retirement.

You can poo poo on the Browns all you want, but I've seen teams drunkenly stumble into the playoffs before with QB's that would be equal to what you posted above.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Allow me to prove what a good person I am by telling you what sports I enjoy and don't enjoy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

Allow me to prove what a good person I am by telling you what sports I enjoy and don't enjoy.

You've done enough proving what a good person you are around here, honestly.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FuzzySkinner posted:

That's fine.

You try playing in a division where two of the teams in there are going to be consistent playoff teams until their future HOF QB retirement.

You can poo poo on the Browns all you want, but I've seen teams drunkenly stumble into the playoffs before with QB's that would be equal to what you posted above.

so is your position that the nfl should like...just let the browns in the playoffs? order the ravens to stop drafting good players? i don't get what your point is here

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Benne posted:

I'm just curious as to what makes some people swear off the NFL for good while continuing to watch the sport that does as many horrible things and doesn't even pay its athletes.

College ball isn't rigged.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

so is your position that the nfl should like...just let the browns in the playoffs? order the ravens to stop drafting good players? i don't get what your point is here

No it's just me being an idiot and a cynical idiot to boot.

I don't know. Go Cavs at least.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I hate the NFL

I hate Roger Goodell and Jerry Jones

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I want Jerry Jones to die and then have the Cowbys induct Jimmy Johnson into their hall of fame while the body is still warm.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

LordPants posted:

I want Jerry Jones to die and then have the Cowbys induct Jimmy Johnson into their hall of fame while the body is still warm.

You know Jerry is just going to enter lichhood when that happens and draft a wide receiver who got caught motorboating a kilo of cocaine a week before a bowl game.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tom Jackson has made his retirement official. I think that leaves Berman and Bob Ley as the only ESPN originals left.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

He was playing for the Broncos when ESPN started. But it doesn't make it any less significant.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

For a number of years, NFL Primetime was appointment teevee on Sunday late afternoons for me.
Now, I cannot even bring myself to watch Berman, TJ and crew for the abomination Monday Night Countdown has become.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I strongly suspect countdown was always crappy by modern standards and just seemed cool because there weren't 9,000 post game highlight shows back in the day, but I'm admittedly too young to remember the heyday

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

He was playing for the Broncos when ESPN started. But it doesn't make it any less significant.

Oh that's right. He's just been with them since the NFL rights. I had that mixed up.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

MourningView posted:

I strongly suspect countdown was always crappy by modern standards and just seemed cool because there weren't 9,000 post game highlight shows back in the day, but I'm admittedly too young to remember the heyday

I don't think so. Modern standards are fewer highlights with more bloviating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ83nnODDjs
WE NEED MORE POINTS
Almost 7 straight minutes of highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8rXYY6Ol58
Look how much there's just football on the screen. For the majority of the show it's just 2 people highlighting the plays and throwing in some light analysis (Stu comes in for one highlight package). Basically every game gets 2+ minutes of highlights.

You're missing a lot of technological advances in 20 years, but you're also losing a lot of the straightforwardness of just showing the drat sports.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 3, 2016

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Badfinger posted:

I don't think so. Modern standards are fewer highlights with more bloviating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ83nnODDjs
WE NEED MORE POINTS
Almost 7 straight minutes of highlights.

I don't remember that situation, but it was really exciting to watch in that clip.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Thing is today almost everybody would of watched it live on red zone. Cutting back and forth between the games as they happened.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

George Michael's Sports Machine was good and cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCC3RQsGitg

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

davecrazy posted:

Thing is today almost everybody would of watched it live on red zone. Cutting back and forth between the games as they happened.

That is not an experience I've ever had without ~shady websites~. I don't know about "everybody", but it's probably a reasonable number.

With that said, maybe I'm the weirdo, but a well cut highlight package that properly builds tension and shows the whole arc is better than live cut ins.

Look how good that segment is. I watched the whole thing again and it was rad as gently caress over 15 years later. A playback of that Sunday's Red Zone broadcast does not capture that.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 3, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

God bored and started flicking around the channels...

Michael Rappaport is a co-host on SportsNation now? Good lord.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Niwrad posted:

I'm glad someone brought this up before I had to. :rip: George, I hope you're up in heaven playing highlights on that ridiculous thing right now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Niwrad posted:

that's a rad as gently caress intro

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

God bored and started flicking around the channels...

Michael Rappaport is a co-host on SportsNation now? Good lord.

I didn't want to sound like a LeBron/Cavs honk, but I saw him yesterday and was wanting to post the awful argument I witnessed from the guy.

He was bitching that people had the nerve to compare LeBron to Jordan. The only arguments he could come up with were 1.) "HE'S NOT COOL LIKE JORDAN WAS! LOL HE'S BALDING. HIS SHOES AREN'T COOL LIKE JORDANS. THEY'RE MOON BOOTS!" 2.) "JORDAN NEVER CHASED ANYONE GROWING UP OR WHEN HE WAS IN THE PROS! IT JUST PROVES HOW WEAK LEBRON IS"

I don't know much about the guy. All I know is that Bill Burr took him the woodshed on his podcast.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Badfinger posted:

That is not an experience I've ever had without ~shady websites~. I don't know about "everybody", but it's probably a reasonable number.

With that said, maybe I'm the weirdo, but a well cut highlight package that properly builds tension and shows the whole arc is better than live cut ins.

Look how good that segment is. I watched the whole thing again and it was rad as gently caress over 15 years later. A playback of that Sunday's Red Zone broadcast does not capture that.

Doesn't matter. People are not going to *not* watch Red Zone live (or follow the scores live on their phone, or on a live threat on reddit or wherever people do that kind of thing now) as it happens because there might be a great highlight later.

They ARE going to watch Red Zone live and once they've seen the story play at in real time for something as disposable as a football game result they're not going to go back over and over again to relive it.

The sports highlight is a dying thing, replaced by instant access. I don't need an anchor to give me meta commentary about what I'm watching.

If I miss a Mets game the 1st thing I do is go to the MLB video site and watch the short clips of the important moments and I feel caught up.

I'm not going to wait 20 mins for Scott Van Pelt to get to it in the course of an hour show cause he might give me a catchphrase or two.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't know much about the guy. All I know is that Bill Burr took him the woodshed on his podcast.

Gonna check this out.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

davecrazy posted:

Doesn't matter. People are not going to *not* watch Red Zone live (or follow the scores live on their phone, or on a live threat on reddit or wherever people do that kind of thing now) as it happens because there might be a great highlight later.

They ARE going to watch Red Zone live and once they've seen the story play at in real time for something as disposable as a football game result they're not going to go back over and over again to relive it.

The sports highlight is a dying thing, replaced by instant access. I don't need an anchor to give me meta commentary about what I'm watching.

If I miss a Mets game the 1st thing I do is go to the MLB video site and watch the short clips of the important moments and I feel caught up.

I'm not going to wait 20 mins for Scott Van Pelt to get to it in the course of an hour show cause he might give me a catchphrase or two.

Watching things live and well produced highlights enhancing the experience aren't mutually exclusive.

I completely disagree with you. If it's something that's interesting but doesn't directly interact with your rooting interest, why wouldn't you watch a highlight segment for it? I also check out the video highlights for baseball games. But sometimes I watch the game recap, and sometimes I watch the condensed game package when I want more context.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying a little bit. I'm not directly advocating that what people want is to sit in front of their television and wait until 11:08 to watch a game recap. I'm saying that a contextualized highlight even after watching something live is both good and desired. If I wake up on Monday and wonder what the hell happened and there's a 5 minute recap I can watch I'm going to watch it. If I already know what happened I might watch it again just to relive some of the insanity.

The worst thing that's happened to football broadcasting in the past 10 years is when NFL.com stopped doing the highlight packages with the radio broadcast calls overlayed.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Anals of History posted:

Gonna check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfLWhuAO38s

Bill Burr is awesome.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
The best recap show is Match of the Day because it's nothing but highlights with maybe some analysis after showing 5-10 minutes of highlights for each of the 7-10 games.

Edit: and highlights are shown with their original commentary, so it really captures the excitement of the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

davecrazy posted:

The sports highlight is a dying thing...If I miss a Mets game the 1st thing I do is go to the MLB video site and watch the short clips of the important moments and I feel caught up.

?????