Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I'm with NESguerilla. I think Re6 is poo poo. And that's coming from someone that beat it then rebought it on ps4 and couldn't play through it again. However, the aircraft carrier level as Ada is loving badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Wanderer posted:

. Like RE6, it also keeps the larger franchise's wheels spinning in lieu of actually accomplishing anything in the plot, as it's the fourth game in a row that ends with the protagonists walking/flying into the sunset, swearing to bring Umbrella down.

After all that swearing, doesn't the fall of Umbrella just get wrapped up in the intro to RE4?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

For the most part it gets wrapped up in Umbrella Chronicles, when Chris and Jill go kill the last of the Tyrants and Wesker breaks in and erases all their poo poo.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

DeathChicken posted:

For the most part it gets wrapped up in Umbrella Chronicles, when Chris and Jill go kill the last of the Tyrants and Wesker breaks in and erases all their poo poo.

UC came out two or three years later, though. RE4, somewhat controversially at the time, just writes Umbrella off as an antagonist in the introduction, after eight years of buildup concerning Umbrella's fall.

One of the least-explored parts of the game's canon, which would be a great setting for a game or two, is the six-year period between CV and the "Umbrella's End" scenario in UC, where Chris, Jill, Barry, and Carlos are running around the world as anti-Umbrella mercenaries.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

General Morden posted:

bring back resident evil outbreak

:yeah:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

My big problem with Code Veronica is that at least 1/4 of the game is entirely pointless. The first half of the game having you play as Claire and the latter half as Chris was fine, but returning to Rockfort Island as Chris only to immediately discover that Claire is in Antartica instead and then spending the next few hours doing nothing but solving puzzles to get off the island he just arrived in is nothing but filler and contributes absolutely nothing to the story.

My other problem is Steve in general but Darkside Chronicles managed to make Steve somewhat likeable amazingly enough. The other complaints people had about it, like it being the game which brought Wesker back and everyone having super powers is kind of silly when people love RE4 for everyone having near super powers and Ada is there working for Wesker.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Thinking about picking up Revelations 2 later. The thing is, I played Revelations 1 but I don't remember ANYTHING about it. I think there was some goon character and I was farming slugs for something.

I'd be playing Revelations 2 alone and most people are saying Rush mode is where the real meat is. Is it to play al9one, do you reckon? And is there grinding? Y'know, something I could use as a good time sink over the next few days as I linger in limbo between homes?

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Drunken Baker posted:

Thinking about picking up Revelations 2 later. The thing is, I played Revelations 1 but I don't remember ANYTHING about it. I think there was some goon character and I was farming slugs for something.

I'd be playing Revelations 2 alone and most people are saying Rush mode is where the real meat is. Is it to play al9one, do you reckon? And is there grinding? Y'know, something I could use as a good time sink over the next few days as I linger in limbo between homes?
Eh, I'd play it for the story rather than Raid mode - and it doesn't take a lot of things storywise from REv1 so you'd be fine even if you remember nothing. Also the writing is super fun and the game seems totally self-aware of what a dumb series its a part of.

That said, Raid mode is a good timesink with a lot of content and is fine for playing alone. It does get grindy though since you pretty much have to play through each level thrice on varying difficulty levels to have the necessary levels to progress. At least enemies vary between difficulties, but I still found it preetty dull after a while.

e: oh and if you want to change characters, you have to level them separately which is total garbage that wasn't in REv1 raid mode.

smuh fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 1, 2016

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
So does it get easier the more you level too? Like stats and weapons and stuff like that? Because I'm also utter garbage at video games and have old man thumbs.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The funny thing about RE4 is that it was so amazing at the things it did right that we tend to forgive it for the things it did glaringly wrong. I adored that game and still do, but my god were the instant-death quicktime events scattered everywhere annoying as gently caress.

That's actually a big part of why I enjoyed RE5 so much less; it did a lot of things the exact same way as RE4, including said instant death QTE bullshit. However, the good aspects were still mostly just RE4 mechanics that had been copied over, so I was a lot less forgiving of all the things about the formula that were still bad. I gave 'em a pass when they were still experimenting and could be said not to know any better, but by the time RE5 rolled around, gently caress it.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Drunken Baker posted:

So does it get easier the more you level too? Like stats and weapons and stuff like that? Because I'm also utter garbage at video games and have old man thumbs.
Yeah it's rpg as hell. You can find weapons in the missions and they all have different stats and you can install parts into them of which there are also tons of different ones and they also have levels. Plus you also have different skills to give your character of choice like better evasion skill, different bombs, momentary invisibility and so on.

Most of the difficulty is in earning medals from the missions, and to get all of them you have to play through one with the recommended level, using no herbs and killing every single enemy plus two other things I think. But thankfully you can ignore the level recommendation one and just go in overleveled and you still get enough medals to unlock more missions. So it's not necessarily hard at all!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Hahah on my latest replay of Resi 4 I died so mush at the first rolling rock bit. My reflexes have dulled SO much.

When it comes back out for the Xbone it'll be something like the fifth time I'll have bought that game.

smuh posted:

Yeah it's rpg as hell.

Thanks for the info, mate. That should tide me over nicely.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Backhand posted:

The funny thing about RE4 is that it was so amazing at the things it did right that we tend to forgive it for the things it did glaringly wrong. I adored that game and still do, but my god were the instant-death quicktime events scattered everywhere annoying as gently caress.

That's actually a big part of why I enjoyed RE5 so much less; it did a lot of things the exact same way as RE4, including said instant death QTE bullshit. However, the good aspects were still mostly just RE4 mechanics that had been copied over, so I was a lot less forgiving of all the things about the formula that were still bad. I gave 'em a pass when they were still experimenting and could be said not to know any better, but by the time RE5 rolled around, gently caress it.

It's also why I don't like The Evil Within much. Too many things in that game can one hit kill you that I question why Mikami even bothered giving Sebastian a health bar and healing resources to begin with.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's also why I don't like The Evil Within much. Too many things in that game can one hit kill you that I question why Mikami even bothered giving Sebastian a health bar and healing resources to begin with.

It's all just for that one bit at the start where you have to limp as you run the gently caress away.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Drunken Baker posted:

Revelations 2 has gently caress all to do with Revelations 1 other than mention there was some city named Terragregia that got destroyed by a virus monster outbreak (and a solar powered space laser.) Also Raid mode is bad and boring as poo poo in 2. Whoever told you that was the meat of the game is very easily amused by grinding lovely identical corridor maps.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I don't know how they hosed up raid mode so bad in revelations 2.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I never played Darkside Chronicles, but as he exists in CVX Steve may be one of the worst, if not the worst, characters in video games. Nothing about him is even remotely likable or endearing, his VA is terrible but not in a funny way like from RE 1, and I remember his boss fight being annoying as hell. It's kind of funny that his death was supposed to have some sort of great emotional impact, but literally everyone I know who played the game reacted to his death with "phew, thank god that's over with"

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I appreciate that he didn't end up hooking up with Claire. A lesser story would have had them end up together, Metal Gear style

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

They hinted at bringing him back but nope he has been forgotten about.

That being said, I have a real soft spot for the original code Veronica. I prefer the original cutscenes over the cvx version

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It's kind of amazing that none of the main Resident Evil characters have ever gotten married and had kids. Excepting Barry, I suppose but he only became a main character as of Revelations 2.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

They have kind of focused their lives on other stuff. Not having a normal day job would heavily impede having kids or getting married. In fact, in reality, most of them would probably be downright awkward to talk to.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think Jill was implied to have an off-screen boyfriend. In RE2 you get a look at her desk and the player character remarks "Photo of a guy, must be her boyfriend."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, the general thrust of it is that Chris and Leon are too obsessed with their jobs, Jill was just as obsessed and also some rear end in a top hat's superhuman bodyguard for a while, and Claire's a workaholic with a habit of getting to know a nice guy right before he gets killed under bizarre circumstances.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'll always have fond memories of Code Veronica just because of Dreamcast nostalgia. That and NFL2K and House of the Dead and wow I'm old

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

In fact, in reality, most of them would probably be downright awkward to talk to.

Maybe the original RE voice acting was actually the most accurate portrayal of the characters

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 1, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hey now. Wesker managed to find time to have a kid!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

And a broken condom bastard named Jake.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Leon is still attracted to a woman he's spent a combined total of less than 3 days with over the last decade.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The instant death scenes in RE4 would have annoyed me if they weren't so drat entertaining to see. I don't think any game tops it for death scenes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

The instant death scenes in RE4 would have annoyed me if they weren't so drat entertaining to see. I don't think any game tops it for death scenes.

I remember back when I saw them at the debut at E3. Me and a bunch of other guys went "Whoaaaaa hahahaha awesome" when I got Leon's head chainsawed off.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

I really like some of re5's. Especially the last one where your helicopter just gets pulled into the lava.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The one in RE6 where Rasklapanje pushes you and itself into the meat grinder is definitely the grossest QTE death I can recall in the series.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

god drat there is always something I find that D.C. Douglas has done and he clearly was one of the greatest VA hires every for this series :allears:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

I really like some of re5's. Especially the last one where your helicopter just gets pulled into the lava.

Haha holy poo poo I never failed that qte, or even considered that you could fail it and the game would actually have a scene for it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Leon is still attracted to a woman he's spent a combined total of less than 3 days with over the last decade.

Yeah, but she did throw him a rocket launcher. That's a keeper in my books.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

abagofcheetos posted:

Haha holy poo poo I never failed that qte, or even considered that you could fail it and the game would actually have a scene for it.

The chris neck snap one is also gold

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I picked up Revelations 2 last night and the pointless grinding in Raid mode is kind of exactly what I was looking for right now.

Played the first chapter too. Not a fan of the buddy system until I turned the difficulty down. Don't know how many times Moira was killed in the jail when I unleashed the horde from the cells. Maybe in two player mode it's better, but who would ever want to play second fiddle as flashlight girl or a child with the shining?

Glad to see Barry again though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, the general thrust of it is that Chris and Leon are too obsessed with their jobs, Jill was just as obsessed and also some rear end in a top hat's superhuman bodyguard for a while, and Claire's a workaholic with a habit of getting to know a nice guy right before he gets killed under bizarre circumstances.

when the heck did claire ever meet a nice guy who died?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well there was, uh, Steve....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Drunken Baker posted:

I picked up Revelations 2 last night and the pointless grinding in Raid mode is kind of exactly what I was looking for right now.

Played the first chapter too. Not a fan of the buddy system until I turned the difficulty down. Don't know how many times Moira was killed in the jail when I unleashed the horde from the cells. Maybe in two player mode it's better, but who would ever want to play second fiddle as flashlight girl or a child with the shining?

Glad to see Barry again though.

You should give Moira another shot, I actually played as her for most of the game. Her flashlight stun -> combo finisher with Claire is crazy strong. I think there's a skill you can get to either increase the power of AI Claire's gun or make her use it in the first place (with infinite ammo but lowered strength), I don't remember which since it's been a while.