Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

TBeats posted:

Monty is weird about approaching people. I like to let him socialize when we go to public places but he seems to randomly not want to go near certain people. There is no rhyme or reason. Some people will be white, some black, some in between. Some with beards, some without beards. Men, women. There's no discernible pattern to it that I can pick up on.

I trust his judgement on people more than my own, though. So I consider it one of his super powers.

Probably something to do with how they're standing or their body language. Dogs are real good at reading subtle body cues so it may not even be something the person is aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
My brother's watching the parents' dog while they're away. Apparently when he got up in the middle of the night Barkley stole his spot.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sutureself posted:

My brother's watching the parents' dog while they're away. Apparently when he got up in the middle of the night Barkley stole his spot.

Welp, time to get another pillow

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

TBeats posted:

Monty is weird about approaching people. I like to let him socialize when we go to public places but he seems to randomly not want to go near certain people. There is no rhyme or reason. Some people will be white, some black, some in between. Some with beards, some without beards. Men, women. There's no discernible pattern to it that I can pick up on.

I trust his judgement on people more than my own, though. So I consider it one of his super powers.

My parents' dog is afraid of deep voiced men. He immediately trusts women and kids, and will eventually warm up to men as long as either they're tenors or they talk in falsetto.

He's also nervous around large dogs, except yellow labradors.

The lab part is a result of him growing up with one, but the rest is a mystery. Dogges can be weird. v:regd09:v

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I think part of it is that dogs just know what assholes smell like

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
http://i.imgur.com/RFfXsFc.gifv

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Come to think of it, I don't know what it's referencing. Judging by the mushroom, something to do with Mario?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

WarpedNaba posted:

Come to think of it, I don't know what it's referencing. Judging by the mushroom, something to do with Mario?

I know its a Mario and Luigi game, might be Superstar Saga? :shrug:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I know its a Mario and Luigi game, might be Superstar Saga? :shrug:

That's the battle music and menus from Superstar Saga, yeah. Mario and Luigi had a tendency to dance in play while waiting for their turns.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

http://i.imgur.com/57ENhPB.mp4

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
https://www.buzzfeed.com/hilarywardle/this-adorable-dog-got-prosthetic-legs-and-hes-so-drat-happy?utm_term=.tpPYooyAw#.fqgZXXpaM

Plus the fact that he was adopted by a woman who lost her legs while saving a dogge... true heroism

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I hope they chop that guys legs off with a dull rusty machete :mad:

That's what his hell will be if it exists. His legs chopped off with a dull rusty machete every day for eternity.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Super good dogge, super good lady :3:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Okay so give me some advice here.

I walk Monty pretty much the same route every day. At least the beginning of it is always 100% the same and it changes from there.

A guy lets me pass through his yard since it's a short cut. His next door neighbor has a pit bull. I would put this pit bull in my list of top 5 most beautiful dogs I've ever seen.

Anyway, this pit is never, and I mean NEVER off of its tether. The tether is maybe five or six feet in the corner of a fenced in back yard. It has a small dog house for shelter. In all kinds of weather, the dog remains tethered. I walked by one day and it was in the mid 90s that afternoon. I felt bad enough just taking Monty for a walk in that type of heat. The pit, tethered up, had tipped it's water dish over and no one was there to fill it back up. I asked the neighbor if I could use his hose and I sprayed the pup down and filled his water dish the best I could.

If that wasn't bad enough, Monty and I got caught in a sudden downpour on our way back home from a walk one day. Guess where the pit was? Tethered up trying to go through the fence to play with us (or maybe attack us, because this treatment that this dog is getting usually leads to aggressive behavior).

I have seen the owners outside several times. They have had people over for BBQs and what not, and the dog remains on the tether on the other side of the yard, with seemingly no human interaction.

I walk by this dog every single day and I get more and more concerned.

What would you do in this situation? Keep in mind I don't want any animosity between me and anyone that lives around me. This is where I live and I would like for it to remain peaceful, and I would like to stay as under the radar as possible. This person, as far as I know, does not rent their home from the same property management that I rent from, so telling my landlord doesn't seem beneficial.

E: this has been the case for roughly three months.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 2, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Right or wrong, I've performed middle of the night rescues for dogs in that situation. barring that, ask to either adopt the pit or offer some cash for him, then adopt him out.

Anybody that gets a dog then just tosses them outside doesn't deserve the dog to begin with. Just lovely people, imho

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Talk to whatever version of the SPCA is in your area? Surely, if they are mistreating the dog they could get something done to remove it from such an unpleasant situation. Not to mention that nobody would know you, specifically, did it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I mostly just wanted someone else to tell me that I shouldn't just mind my own business.

I got in touch with the SPCA. They told me to contact animal control. One of my concerns with that was the adoption rate/discrimination against pits, but I was assured that they don't discriminate based on breed and that they have a high success rate with pits.

I left a voicemail for the animal control officer and now I'm just waiting on a call back. I will continue to call them every day if I have to in order to at least get it investigated.

I would GLADLY take in that pup if I could, but unfortunately I'm just not in a position where I can have another dog, even in a temporary foster situation.

Here's a pic of the situation in question. In the opposite corner of the yard is where the guy has his gatherings at, but the dog is never off of its chain.

I have dubbed him Hercules :3:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
You're a good person for this.

The pit looks like a sweetie too.

Hope its able to get rescued and put in a better situation.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Talked to animal control. Virginia state law sees no wrong doing. There's no law that says you have to give your dog attention. As long as they have some shelter (the dog house in this case) that's enough. They only need water once every 12 hours. The chain is long enough.

Basically it's okay to treat your pet like poo poo in Virginia. Maybe that's why Michael Vick had his dog fighting HQ in this state.

Now I'm not just depressed about how Herc is getting treated, I'm also really pissed about it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:smith:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Tide posted:

Ask to either adopt the pit or offer some cash for him, then adopt him out.

Anybody that gets a dog then just tosses them outside doesn't deserve the dog to begin with. Just lovely people, imho

This seems like the reasonable solution now

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It pisses me off because I love pits. I thought Monty was an American staff and it's the reason I picked him. I wouldn't be able to live at my current place because of breed restrictions because of the bad stereotype surrounding pits.

Give it like six months of this treatment and if that dog gets loose, he will become another statistic to add to the stereotype.

Ban bad owners.

Pesticide20 posted:

This seems like the reasonable solution now

It may come to that. I'm going to ask around to see if anyone is in the market for a pit bull that needs some TLC before it becomes a horrible dog. Barring that, I'll give it up for adoption at the SPCA.

However, the guy knows my face because I walk through the next door neighbors yard. If he says no, that kills whatever deniability I may have in the event I do a night time rescue (even though I'm sure I don't have much deniability at this point anyway).

I don't even know what I would do if I rescued him.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 2, 2016

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A better pic of the dogge in question.

:swoon:

He's obviously well fed. I just wish he wasn't constantly chained up and would get even a little bit attention outside of just giving him his food.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Wanna pette that dogge :buddy:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Naked Bear posted:

Wanna pette that dogge :buddy:

OMG that face.

gently caress bad dogge owners

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I am biased towards Monty. Monty is the best looking dog on the planet. It's okay if you disagree because we are all entitled to our opinions even though yours would obviously be wrong, and I'm sure every true dog owner knows what I mean.

But Hercules is up there. He's loving gorgeous.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
If I could, I'd legit drive to VA and rescue Herc, and spoil him rotten.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Syrian Lannister posted:

If I could, I'd legit drive to VA and rescue Herc, and spoil him rotten.

I am going to talk to the owner about maybe just taking him for a few walks every week. I've started throwing him milk bones as I walk by so that he has something to look forward to every day.

In September I might just offer to buy him. I'm gonna look for someone who wants a pup in the meantime. It's just tough here because of breed legislation. Every rental has restrictions.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

TBeats posted:

I am going to talk to the owner about maybe just taking him for a few walks every week. I've started throwing him milk bones as I walk by so that he has something to look forward to every day.

In September I might just offer to buy him. I'm gonna look for someone who wants a pup in the meantime. It's just tough here because of breed legislation. Every rental has restrictions.

:unsmith:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

TBeats posted:

You're a good human, Cole.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Naked Bear posted:

You're a good human, Cole.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The restrictions are because of homeowner's insurance policy restrictions. Some places will be willing to negotiate with you on an individual basis if you carry a dog liability policy.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

The restrictions are because of homeowner's insurance policy restrictions. Some places will be willing to negotiate with you on an individual basis if you carry a dog liability policy.

Monty is already over the weight limit allowed by my lease (by a not insignificant amount) so I either need to find another owner (preferable) or take him to the SPCA. One thing I don't want to sacrifice is my good standing with my landlord. They never bother me for anything except quarterly inspections and I don't want to give them reason to.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TBeats posted:

Monty is already over the weight limit allowed by my lease (by a not insignificant amount) so I either need to find another owner (preferable) or take him to the SPCA. One thing I don't want to sacrifice is my good standing with my landlord. They never bother me for anything except quarterly inspections and I don't want to give them reason to.

That weight limit is also likely an insurance thing that would be covered. Most standard homeowner's policies are small dogs only.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

That weight limit is also likely an insurance thing that would be covered. Most standard homeowner's policies are small dogs only.

Yeah I don't question it. I don't really agree with it in a place the size of mine (though having a mastiff here would probably be excessive), but I understand the insurance liabilities to enough of a degree to know why the limits are in place.

It's 50lbs here, and Monty was ~65lbs last time I weighed him. Luckily he is pretty solid muscle so his size is somewhat deceivingly small.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Can't comment on the pitty situation, but that dog is adorable and deserves better.

Facebook reminded me today that my Rotti was once upon a time completely black

But still the cutest

And our other rescue dog from earlier this year, who is very photogenic

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

oh my gooood :kimchi:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Some good loving dogs here

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

TBeats posted:

Herc report please. Also how does Monte handle being near Herc?