Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Just, before we commit to Q, what is the difference between this and just outright telling them to kill themselves?
Less likely to get soul eaten in the secret space canoe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Just, before we commit to Q, what is the difference between this and just outright telling them to kill themselves?
Them killing themselves would be really freaking unpleasant for them and some of them probably won't be able to do it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

JT Jag posted:

Them killing themselves would be really freaking unpleasant for them and some of them probably won't be able to do it

Also are we sure they'll end up in the same place?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Zodiac5000 posted:

I don't think we're speaking for El. We are being offered opportunity to do something that he implicitly is ok with. That is a condition for the miracle going through, isn't it? The whole 'revulsion' thing is about El's feelings on the matter, and unless he decides he doesn't like an idea he'll allow it to be done? We are being offered the ability to choose among many options, regardless of their tactical or strategic or cultural merits. All choices except for those he explicitly prevents us from doing are ok by him and we instantly know upon considering an idea if he's down. We are not interacting with a distant/uncommunicative God. We are interacting, in a very real way, with a conduit for Him and His power. We've got a coupon at the 7-EL-even and we can use it how we judge best, within his bounds of acceptable behavior. I mean, if we doubt this is El or a helper/Melachim then it's a lot dicier, but at this point I think it's passing the 'walks like a duck, talks like a duck' test for divinities.

el was okay with us leading thousands of people on a death march that ended with us presumably beginning the end of everything.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Hey Diog, how would the stasis be hidden? What would stop something from reading our mind and going after them?
You don't understand except that they will be hidden. Their detection is unlikely to even powerful things, unless they know what to look for. Chances of discovery are small.

You think you will have some vague ideas about where they are when and if you return to normal. Not enough to dig them up yourself, you will need more power and knowledge than you normally possess to rouse them. If a powerful being read your mind and had the inclination to do so, they could find them and rouse them based on your limited knowledge of where they are.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
J-
1- create the equivalent of Mt. Analogue as a place for Gebs to live.
Not actually a mountain, just a place that is nigh on impossible to find.
2- take what we can and head for the House of Zepath.

It is a bit like D, but without the stasis.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Option Q seems pretty final. Are we sure it's a good solution to the Gebeban problem?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Are you saying that killing everyone isn't a good final solution?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Diogines posted:

Are you saying that killing everyone isn't a good final solution?

I bet you're pretty surprised that the thread has done a complete 180 on this.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Diog, does Ur rotate? Is the world on which we exist a spherical object? Because if so, what's the ruling on making us and out loot intangible and frictionless to everything, but having us not sink below the elevation of Zepath? Like, could we use the natural rotation of Ur to just...slide to Zepath, for a lack of a better analogy?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Diog, can we guess what Tudiya would do in this situation? Using our intimate knowledge of him and his King-y decisions?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

Diog, does Ur rotate? Is the world on which we exist a spherical object? Because if so, what's the ruling on making us and out loot intangible and frictionless to everything, but having us not sink below the elevation of Zepath? Like, could we use the natural rotation of Ur to just...slide to Zepath, for a lack of a better analogy?

The world is flat.

As far you know.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Diogines posted:

The world is flat.

As far you know.

This seems weird for Enkindel not to know, as his extremely keen eyesight would mean he'd be very aware of the effect of the curvature of Ur on objects appearing on the horizon.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Arcturas posted:

Diog, can we guess what Tudiya would do in this situation? Using our intimate knowledge of him and his King-y decisions?
This situation is ridiculously beyond the norm to an extreme degree.

It is tough to say what he would do.

Tudiya is defined to a large degree by his sense of duty.

Duty to his comrades? Get them home safely.
Duty to Zepath? Get information on this tremendous threat home and prepare.
Duty to El's sacred law? That is really tricky. Is El giving you permission to kill a bunch of people or are you simply using the tools provided to do so?
Duty to the innocent? Save them. Somehow.

If Tudiya thought these people were cannibals he would ignore them without a second glance or possibly kill them. The fact they are not cannibals and and praying to El for aid makes that a lot more complicated.

Tudiya is also firm in the belief that every person who dies instantaneously and infallibly appears on the slopes at the base of Mount Har to make their climb.

I can't guess what Tudiya would do for you, you'll have to decide.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 2, 2016

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

This seems weird for Enkindel not to know, as his extremely keen eyesight would mean he'd be very aware of the effect of the curvature of Ur on objects appearing on the horizon.
He never thought about it.

Enkidel never read the Great Scrolls of Inquiry? How would he know that is not how things are supposed to look?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Diogines posted:

Duty to El's sacred law? That is really tricky. Is El giving you permission to kill a bunch of people or are you simply using the tools provided to do so?

If Tudiya thought these people were cannibals he would ignore them without a second glance or possibly kill them. The fact they are not cannibals and and praying to El for aid makes that a lot more complicated.

Tudiya is also firm in the belief that every person who dies instantaneously and infallibly appears on the slopes at the base of Mount Har to make their climb.

Hmm, thanks.

Jesus is colourblin
Apr 13, 2008

Being colourblind ain't easy :(
Can we kill transport all the adults to wherever we sent the souls within the demons and still teleport the 180 children and Balls, with little to no spoils of war, close eonugh to Zepath that it wouldn't be suicicde?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Jesus is colourblin posted:

Can we kill transport all the adults to wherever we sent the souls within the demons and still teleport the 180 children and Balls, with little to no spoils of war, close eonugh to Zepath that it wouldn't be suicicde?

I asked this already, we can only do one thing

Jesus is colourblin
Apr 13, 2008

Being colourblind ain't easy :(

SKY COQ posted:

I asked this already, we can only do one thing

My bad. You try to read but here are so many posts.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
You fear if you read too many posts you will go mad

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Diogines posted:

What if he was pretty certain that if anyone remained they may spell doom for Zepath?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

1. Q

2. A

Least bad options. They'll never be accepted in Ur, and they deserve better than being buried in the dirt in hopes that we can eventually dig them up and take them back to Ur where they'll never be accepted. Send them to Mt. Har where they can stand in the light of El and know peace. Get our men and our loot the gently caress out of here and back home where there is much preparation to be done. Did Tudiya have a vision of the terrible army that will follow us home? Is that why he's been so depressed and focused on preparing for war?

Have to admit, I thought long and hard about going for the club. The club would be intensely bitchin'. And so would any of the scrolls.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

1. Q
2. A

Trying to save everyone got us in way too much trouble last time. I say gently caress it, kill them all and let god sort it out .

Nettle Soup, you do good work.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Aades posted:

Change from P, A to 1. H, 2. B

If we are strong enough to free the villagers from stasis, we will be strong enough to take out this demon king and free all the souls it has consumed. Let the villagers live and be eaten, we will come back and free their souls some day. This way they have a chance to reproduce, giving us more souls to free. I either want to teleport us away, or get some sweet loot. I like our chances in getting back, and that hammer will be helpful.

Good point. P and any vote that results in them being eaten by giants is pretty much the same thing. I might need to change my vote to H.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

KPC_Mammon posted:

Good point. P and any vote that results in them being eaten by giants is pretty much the same thing. I might need to change my vote to H.

How long will it take for us to be powerful enough to kill the demon king and what are the chances that the demon king will be able to find out who we are, decide that there's a new land ripe for the farming and waltz over and push our poo poo in? Low? High? Unknowable? Is that a gamble that's worth taking?

Also an eternity in stasis and an eternity of torture inside a demon isn't really comparing apples to oranges unless you're a sociopath.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

PA

Keep our loot and save their souls.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

While it probably wouldn't be quite enough to make me change my vote, I've thought of one thing I'd really like:
Would it be possible to create the great scrolls of Mathematics and/or Physics?

Enkidel has been pretty good at working stuff out and inventing things as is. I'd love to see what he'd be able to do if he had Calculus at his disposal

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

How long will it take for us to be powerful enough to kill the demon king and what are the chances that the demon king will be able to find out who we are, decide that there's a new land ripe for the farming and waltz over and push our poo poo in? Low? High? Unknowable? Is that a gamble that's worth taking?

Also an eternity in stasis and an eternity of torture inside a demon isn't really comparing apples to oranges unless you're a sociopath.

:psyduck:

We are taking a chance in doing the right thing instead of just murdering people and making poo poo up to justify it for sweet loot. How is a Stasis and Torture the same comparison unless we're a sociopath?

It seems like to find those hidden they would have know what we did, and then spend time and power to find them.

"They won't fit in" you know Kavodel is a melting pot right?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

1: write in: teleport yourself and your balls and treasure back home. Only take enough loot that you teleport back home and not days or weeks away. Basically plan GTFO).

2J wrote in: tell the Gebebans that they have a few choices, and they have free will to decide:
1: point them towards UR and suggest they get walking on a long, dangerous, impossible trek
2: suggest that they sew guerrilla warfare among the many other enslaved villages. We would spend a few weeks training them before we teleport home and we can offer anyone who volunteers to stay behind (staring at David)
3: tell them to wait and be enslaved or killed again
4: offer that they can seek out a meager existence in the forest or fringes around Gebeb

Basically they are of their own...

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Obscil posted:

ST

EDIT: Changing vote to S and J because I can't read. J is offering to mercy kill any gebebans that want to die a quick death rather than death by giant, wilderness, or monsters, but not trying to convince them to explicitly do so. Persuading people to commit mass suicide due to their false beliefs in our godhood is pretty bad thing to do. If we are teleporting, they shouldn't be able to tell the giants where we have gone anyways, unless I'm forgetting something.

I changed my vote

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

1. P

2. A

Why? Because the Melachim are continually debating what to do with us, and judging us by our actions. It is far more important to our long-term well-being that we show worthiness to the Melachim than that we gather loot.

We know two of their criteria (which, frankly, seem like reasonable rules to live by):

1. Mercy is never misplaced.
2. Do not destroy.

We also know that they hate cannibalism/hunger, and value selflessness (the Watchers of Zepath specifically cited instances of this as checkmarks in our favour).

Regarding other options:

Getting loot at the expense of the Gebekkers reeks of megalomania, no matter how we try to justify it. We will pay for this next time the Melachim scrutinise us to decide whether to put us in eternity-jail.

Getting knowledge is enormously appealing, but still incredibly difficult to justify in the face of the Gebekkers, who are crying out to El for help.

Q has some vague resemblance to P, and could by some rather convoluted logic be construed as mercy. That said, I'd really like all the Q voters to please listen to the below song, inspired by another nice man who killed people to prevent their future suffering. The lyrics are quite appropriate for Enkidel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiCZnxRM698

Yes, :godwinning:

PS: Diog has just implied that this is how he views option Q. I'm pretty sure choosing it will have permanent effects both on Enkidel's psyche and on his Balls, not even considering how it will look to the Melachim.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Grognan posted:

:psyduck:

We are taking a chance in doing the right thing instead of just murdering people and making poo poo up to justify it for sweet loot. How is a Stasis and Torture the same comparison unless we're a sociopath?

It seems like to find those hidden they would have know what we did, and then spend time and power to find them.

"They won't fit in" you know Kavodel is a melting pot right?

I don't plan on making anything up, and I'm certainly not doing this for loot. We have an impossible dilemma here - short of sending them all to what we assume is Mt Har, some poor bastards are going to get left behind, tortured, enslaved, eaten and placed in eternal spiritual torment.

The greatest good we can do for the greatest number of people here is to free their souls and guide them to safety. It's not a good thing to do, but it might be the best thing to do under the circumstances.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

SKY COQ posted:

I don't plan on making anything up, and I'm certainly not doing this for loot. We have an impossible dilemma here - short of sending them all to what we assume is Mt Har, some poor bastards are going to get left behind, tortured, enslaved, eaten and placed in eternal spiritual torment.

The greatest good we can do for the greatest number of people here is to free their souls and guide them to safety. It's not a good thing to do, but it might be the best thing to do under the circumstances.

This is denying 180 children a chance at life.

Its monstrous. Its not merciful, it's.... terrible. I can't abide it. Give the gebians a chance to die in the wilderness, or to take their own lives, or to fight the giants, while we rescue their children.

We're not a god, we cannot, should not, make this choice for them. They are human. They deserve a chance to die as they see fit, be it by their own hand, in battle or trying to carve out a life in an unwelcoming wilderness. Who knows, maybe some of them will get obscenely lucky. They deserve a chance to choose.

On that note,

Changing 2 from F to D

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SKY COQ posted:

Stasis actually hides them what are you going on about?

Don't go full final solution.

If the "cattle" are missing what are the odds that another rival stole them for his herd? They might not even suspect us if they all went missing with all the loot.

Stasis them and spend some time razing the place and framing the Norcs for it. We have some of their gear and know their sigil. They won't be looking for a hidden cache if they have an explanation in front of them. Also it might start poo poo between two really evil enemies.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 2, 2016

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I feel I am off to good start, making an alternative suggestion that will get no votes.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Changing My Vote from QA to Write-in

Plan False Fare Flag

Place the people in Stasis.
Tell the Balls that "those higher have heard our plea and delivered us a solution. The people are made safe and slumber peacefully and out of danger. When they who know judge us sufficiently mighty to brave 600 souls through the woods without certain death we will be summoned to return." -This gives us deniability with the balls over leaving 600 souls in demon land.
We have a month before Giants arrive, so we spend the next three days getting ready to leave and messing up the place such that anyone who investigates finds that there are strange Banikmot symbols carved on the walls of burnt out and destroyed houses. No blood meaning they were kidnapped and strangely were headed towards the east, away from Zepath to some cave.
We take what we can carry that has high value/weight ratios. Bags of gems, blacksmith tools, scrolls. Only as much as we can carry and not have our pace home slowed. Burn some of the rest and leave a trail of discarded broken items on the path leading away.
After three days we bail slowly for another week to make sure we leave absolutely no trail.
After a week of careful travel we then bail at maximum speed for home and don't look back.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

SKY COQ posted:

While it sounds like stasis is probably more like nothingness than torment, I otherwise agree with this. I'm not completely against stasis, but like others, I have my doubts that we'll ever be in a position to come back later on when all indications point to the world going to hell and a handbasket in the future, and we'll likely have bigger priorities if/when we're ever strong enough to come back and rescue them. There is a reasonably good chance that the end result of this option is eternal oblivion for them, potentially for any number of reasons beyond our control (like for example, the possibility that we die long before we are powerful enough to save them.)

Teleport results in some people living, and others having their souls in eternal torment, and possibly leaving Ur open to retaliation if we don't murder them/convince them to suicide

Plan Jonestown results in everyone's souls being saved, and entering paradise. It also results in a whole village of innocent people, including children dying, essentially by our hand.

Look, all our options suck. There is no right vote here, only varying degrees of wrong votes.
It seems like the real point of difference between Pro and anti Q voters is how valuable a life is compared to a soul, as this lovely situation is basically forcing us to decide on just that. There's reasonable arguments for both sides to be had that don't involve the opposing side being selfish/greedy/ a nazi

Rahul fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 2, 2016

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
PA

It's not clear to me whether the Jonestown route is El-sanctioned or not, so I'm going with the morally safer option. Not an easy vote though.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

Changing My Vote from QA to Write-in

Plan False Fare Flag

Place the people in Stasis.
Tell the Balls that "those higher have heard our plea and delivered us a solution. The people are made safe and slumber peacefully and out of danger. When they who know judge us sufficiently mighty to brave 600 souls through the woods without certain death we will be summoned to return." -This gives us deniability with the balls over leaving 600 souls in demon land.
We have a month before Giants arrive, so we spend the next three days getting ready to leave and messing up the place such that anyone who investigates finds that there are strange Banikmot symbols carved on the walls of burnt out and destroyed houses. No blood meaning they were kidnapped and strangely were headed towards the east, away from Zepath to some cave.
We take what we can carry that has high value/weight ratios. Bags of gems, blacksmith tools, scrolls. Only as much as we can carry and not have our pace home slowed. Burn some of the rest and leave a trail of discarded broken items on the path leading away.
After three days we bail slowly for another week to make sure we leave absolutely no trail.
After a week of careful travel we then bail at maximum speed for home and don't look back.

I like this, if only because I really love the idea of framing the Bnaimokt for as much poo poo as we can

My only issue is that, in our dream, Fare was a mere rooster of the Master of these lands. I worry Fare is a servant to this power, and so the Bnaimokt are too, so they will see through the ruse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyromancer
Sep 2, 2011

Eglamore looks pretty different.
R Send the kids holding as much as they can carry, and if possible, send a Ball to explain what's going on.

D But not entirely at random. We're only a week or two (admittedly at a faster pace) from Original Amok. Teach them the basics of foraging and point them in that direction, if any survive when he returns they're his problem.