Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have app suggestions turned off. Looking good -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Klyith posted:

Valve put in a few months of effort on SteamOS linux just to prove that they could, then let the whole thing slide into the land of abandoned valve projects. It was a warning shot.
That was sure some warning shot. All it did was warn OEMs that Valve is an unreliable entity.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is the Anniversary Update a staged rollout of some kind? Neither of my computers says it has an update waiting.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

hooah posted:

Is the Anniversary Update a staged rollout of some kind? Neither of my computers says it has an update waiting.

Yup. You have to wait for Microsoft to bless you with the upgrade.

Also, the Media Creation Tool hasn't been updated (at least for Education). If you try to use it, you'll just reinstall and delay the upgrade for yourself for a month.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

hooah posted:

I downloaded it from our volume license site so I can test. Not waiting for Microsoft Update.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

GreenNight posted:

No, it's basically a reinstall of the OS. I just finished it. Went quick and it give the option to keep my programs and files, which I did.

It did reset some of my settings so I had dumb bullshit like Candy Crush again and Get Office, so I had to turn that poo poo off.

I just installed Windows 10 for the first time on my new PC and I see a lot of useless poo poo like Candy Crush on here. Is there a guide to removing all the bullshit or should I just not worry about it?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

astral posted:

Activating 10 with a valid 8.1 key was working for about 9 months! However, now that the free upgrade period is over...

e: They're also adding an activation troubleshooter in the anniversary update that can help resolve activation issues. If you have a valid digital entitlement and an MS account login before the upgrade, it'll be linked to your MS account afterwards which can even reactivate after significant hardware changes.

e2: clarity
I just got done doing the anniversary update and W10 is activated due to my Microsoft account. :)

Edit: Have OneDrive placeholders returned for this update?

Inverness fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 2, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Biodome posted:

I just installed Windows 10 for the first time on my new PC and I see a lot of useless poo poo like Candy Crush on here. Is there a guide to removing all the bullshit or should I just not worry about it?

You can right-click the icon and choose Uninstall. This works for most things, except for like the XBox app for some hosed reason. This needs a powershell command to uninstall.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Windows 10 Anniversary edition will be available at 1pm EST (40min away)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

GreenNight posted:

You can right-click the icon and choose Uninstall. This works for most things, except for like the XBox app for some hosed reason. This needs a powershell command to uninstall.

On the other hand, the XBox app is more or less equivalent to the Game Center in Win 7, and may be required for the Game Bar and related screen recording features to work. I don't see it as an annoyance the way the other ads are.

Go into Settings > Personanization > Start, and you can turn off "Occasionally show suggestions" option, which is the "slather over my Start menu with advertisements" one.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Biodome posted:

Right click, uninstall. It might come back with a new upgrade of Windows (like Redstone Wave 2) but other than that it's out, and also UWP and other Store apps are pretty well cloistered, to the extent that each app has their own private registry to poo poo up and that only it uses - it can't even see the traditional system or user hives beyond read-only.

If you're signed in with a Microsoft Account and it's in your Store library (and you're on Redstone Wave 1, so at least build 14000 or so), hide it. It made Twitter and its ilk stop auto-installing on new devices, at least in my case.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 2, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

nielsm posted:

On the other hand, the XBox app is more or less equivalent to the Game Center in Win 7, and may be required for the Game Bar and related screen recording features to work. I don't see it as an annoyance the way the other ads are.

Yeah you can just unpin it and never directly pay attention to it if you don't want.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

nielsm posted:

Go into Settings > Personanization > Start, and you can turn off "Occasionally show suggestions" option, which is the "slather over my Start menu with advertisements" one.

I have that disabled and I still get the bullshit that I posted up top.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Don Lapre posted:

Windows 10 Anniversary edition will be available at 1pm EST (40min away)

Cheers, where did you find out?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Cheers, where did you find out?

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/760467877615038465

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Downloading now.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

And they weren't hedging either. Checked for updates 18:01BST, and the update is now preparing to install.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Posting from 1607. Feels good man.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Regrabbed the media creation tool this morning and it's a different size from the one yesterday. GO GO USB STICK.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Is there a way to force the check? I'm getting no updates (and I'm not on it).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Looks like the ISOs and Media Creation Tool have updated to 1607 images:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO (non-windows or pre-w7 windows can get ISOs)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (all others get the MCT)

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Cheesus posted:

Is there a way to force the check? I'm getting no updates (and I'm not on it).

Do you have defer upgrades ticked?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Just updated (Pro) via Windows Update, not the ISO or MCT. I confirm there's no candy crush poo poo installed, and it hasn't changed any of my toggles turning things like tips in lockscreen, suggestions in start back on.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Well, I did my update. And now my loving wifi won't connect!

I get a local IP, But can't ping my router.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
What's everyone's success rate with Windows.old folders being actually removed by the Disk Cleanup Utility?

So far I'm 1 for 4. 3 PCs have left a couple of dll files that Windows says are in use, always under the /System32/DriverStore folder. In my case Realtek and NVidia. I've had to take ownership of the folder and then manually delete it (sometimes after killing a process that was using them, sometimes not) and reboot. Never any issues, and the dll files are always in in the right spot in the new Windows folder.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

c0burn posted:

Just updated (Pro) via Windows Update, not the ISO or MCT. I confirm there's no candy crush poo poo installed, and it hasn't changed any of my toggles turning things like tips in lockscreen, suggestions in start back on.

Thanks for verifying this.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ok, it seems to be fine now, but it took three reboots.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Okay, two newb questions for this all at home with the anniversary update...

AdBlock, or AdBlockPlus for Edge? I use uBlock on Chrome and Firefox, so I don't have a familiar choice here.
How do you start the new bash shell? I tried' bash' but it didn't find anything.

Edit: I will note that my previous choices with respect to stuff like 'privacy' didn't appear to have been messed up, which is good.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

magimix posted:

I use uBlock on Chrome and Firefox, so I don't have a familiar choice here.

http://www.windowscentral.com/lightweight-ad-blocker-ublock-origin-ported-microsoft-edge

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I've noticed that my folder view settings for my libraries are not staying identical for the whole library like they should be. Is this a recent change or is something broken for me?

To clarify, when viewing libraries, the view settings (columns, spacing, view type, etc.) are supposed to be shared for all folders in the library.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

magimix posted:

Okay, two newb questions for this all at home with the anniversary update...

AdBlock, or AdBlockPlus for Edge? I use uBlock on Chrome and Firefox, so I don't have a familiar choice here.
How do you start the new bash shell? I tried' bash' but it didn't find anything.

Edit: I will note that my previous choices with respect to stuff like 'privacy' didn't appear to have been messed up, which is good.

Programs and Feartures -> Turn Windows Features on or off -> Windows Subsystem for Linux

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/install_guide

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

magimix posted:

You have to do two things:
1. Enable Developer mode in the Settings > Update & Security page
2. Install Windows Subsystem for Linux in the "Turn Windows features on or off" box from the classic Programs and Features control panel

When you've done that, and possibly rebooted, you can run "bash.exe" from a cmd or PowerShell shell, and it'll set up an Ubuntu install in your Windows profile.

Note that it's not a system-wide install, but it really only lives inside a single user profile, so other user accounts on the same machine who also want to run WSL will have to do the "run bash.exe" step too.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

nielsm posted:

The problem with the XBox app is that you can't get into the settings menu without a gamertag, as far as I can tell.

Maybe I'll make a throwaway instead of killing it with powershell this time. I don't particularly want to set up a gaming profile on my normal live account.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Too many useful replies to quote, but thanks all. 'Tis all doing the business :thumbsup:

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I have the education edition and checking for updates isn't showing the anniversary update yet. Annoying. Great to hear about Adblock, though!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

New sticky notes are giant :/
Since they are UWP now I suppose there's no hope for community fixes either?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Looks like its regional as not getting it in the uk

I don't really care enough to download it outside of WU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Just got it on my compus. Took about 12-13 minutes on an 850 EVO. Their messages in huge font on a black screen saying "Hi, here's what we've done to your computer" are still really ominous.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Skarsnik posted:

Looks like its regional as not getting it in the uk

I don't really care enough to download it outside of WU

I don't know how they dole it out, or how granular things might get within a given region, but I started pulling it down just after 6pm; snobby South Coast goon as I am.

Edit: It went through a good three restart cycles, but it went from 'download starts' to 'all installed and good to go' in around 45 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Since some people were curious: I upgraded from 1511 to 1607 via the ISO from the MS site I linked a couple posts up (mounted it and ran setup.exe) and didn't get candy crush etc re-added to my start menu.

Using Pro, already had set the option to not show me suggestions and whatever, also had set the policy that no longer is going to work on Pro.