Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Waci posted:

A. We go to the wreck, look for information about what might have caused this. Johakim and Konnie search the wreck for survivors and things in need of extra liberty respectively. Abigail comes with us in case there's something in need of punching.

Kvelar gets on the arbalest. Tommy and Khami stay with him.

This sounds good to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Damnit, we didn't have any practice shots and we didn't bring any goats? What kind of bullshit monster hunt is this?

Set up the weapon and ask konnie if he wants go in to quietly take stock of the situation and rescue one or more people if possible. Tell him there's a Gargantuan Snake around somewhere that wants to eat him.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
It's clearly the snake, I hadn't noticed the increase tensions aspect when I suggested the sirens. Do tell our team about this.

A, WACI Plan

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Snakes?

Why did it have to be snakes?

We need to feed it Jennifer Lopez.

I love that Konnie just stole a loving fence.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We'll be safe so long as we avoid John Voight or Samuel L Jackson

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Am I really the only one who voted to practice with the weapon before we set out? I think I've worked in companies with the level of forethought.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Outrail posted:

Am I really the only one who voted to practice with the weapon before we set out? I think I've worked in companies with the level of forethought.

A bunch of people did, but for some reason we didn't.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

RandomPauI posted:

We'll be safe so long as we avoid John Voight or Samuel L Jackson

Wasn't it Ice Cube?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Wasn't it Ice Cube?

I was going for a snakes on a plane reference in an attempt to be hip and relevant.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
On Training

Waci posted:

A bunch of people did, but for some reason we didn't.

As far as I could see, only two people voted for devoting time to training with the arbalest before leaving Harst, and only one upon arriving in Braav.
Thus, with Thorgrim being busy with travelling and paperwork and everyone else being on leave after an action packed month of nearly back to back missions, there was simply no time for it. Especially since you voted to go after the Blockade mission first thing after everyone came back, instead of spending a week focusing on training.

Another thing to consider, and which was brought up in IRC is your lack of ammunition with which to test fire. You didn't construct any bolts in your trance, you were flat-out-broke and Siege Arbalest ammo isn't exactly common to begin with. Fortunately Konnie pulled through, so you at least have a few "javelins" to slay the monster with.

That said, had he had more time Thorgrim would absolutely have test-fired his invention, but it is not as simple as setting it up on ITEC grounds and firing it at your shortbow targets; Braav is a densely populated village and you do not yet know the Siege Arbalest's full capacity for destruction. At minimum, you would have to make a day-trip out of it.

With the everyday trivialities of adventuring, like bringing torches and arrows and food, common-sense rules and you need not worry about it from a player perspective, but certain things requires at least a point of wealth to be non-issues or for more voters to push the agenda to do things at the expense of other, more pressing concerns.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 29, 2016

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Can we add these things to the tracker list, where it lists equipment status and supplies and so on?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Waci posted:

Can we add these things to the tracker list, where it lists equipment status and supplies and so on?

Of course.

[ITEC Travel Gear Summary]

02 x Bottles of FOOF leaving 3 behind.
01 x Flasks of highly pressurized acid leaving 2 behind.
01 x Ethereal RimRose Cupcakes leaving 6 behind.
01 x Pouches of Flash-Heat-Powder leaving a Large Bag behind.
01 x ##Nåzom Stegėth## A Masterwork Siege Arbalest [04/04 Iron "javelins" remaining.]
01 x All Purpose Horse-Drawn Adventuring Wagon
Common Riding Horses for all ITEC members including horses with which to draw your wagons

Your rations are provided for you by the Church of Quackeen for this mission.
Your supplies are provided for you by the Church of Quackeen for this mission.
Your equipment is nearly adequate, in need of minor repairs.
Your Owlbear cubs are adequately cared for.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Equipment is almost adequate?

Ok poo poo. We really need some cash so we can take time out and train, repair etc etc.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So the hunter's guide mentioned that the Snakes can sense anger. If they have the ability to agitate anyone nearby, this would be the perfect way to hunt down their prey. It's doing this either by sound, scent, or magic. So...if we use plugs to block our nose (ears are too risky), maybe we'll be able to get the jump on this thing.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 30, 2016

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The Wreck

click for map

You open monsters monthly and find the section detailing the snake you suspect is behind the attack on the ship in front of you. It seems to check out.
The Boa Conflictor is certainly large and powerful enough to crush a boat in the manner you see before you, and the lingering resentment is in line with what the magazine tells you of its more mystical capabilities.
If what you read is true, it both causes and senses anger, and uses this scent to hunt it's prey.
You inform the rest of ITEC of what you know.

Party thoughts:
Konnie: Giant snake wot likes to hide in rivers in ambush? I reckon I'll take a raincheck 'til we make sure it won't bother us. Don't like sitting still though, better keep movin'.
Kvelar: Aye, a wreck is no place to fight. If it finds us, it'l bury us in wood and water, an all the people who we hoped ta' rescue will go down with us.
Johakim: But rescue them we must! The snake isn't here, it would have attacked already! We have time and they might tell us more. Come now, before more tempers flare.
Abigail: Tempers!? Pah! Ain't no snake what is the boss of me. All this talk and reading is boring, either we go or stay, as long as we can kill something!
Khami: In fighting wrath, as in keeping watch of the abyss, pay heed your foe is not yourself.
Abigail glares angrily at Khami

Tommy seems more thoughtful than the rest. After everyone else has had their say, he weighs in with a new plan.

That it hasn't eaten everyone means it's trying to lure more people here. When they get here they'll start bickering, and the Snake will lunge out of the water and get a new snack and yet more bait. Basic trap, but one I reckon could work both ways. I say we give it what it wants, but not before setting up the Arbalest in the forest where the monster can't reach for all the trees. We fake an argument and dive for cover when it bites. If ##Nåzom Stegėth## doesn't slay it outright, we pounce and end it quickly, before it can get back in the river.

Kvelar and Khami both nod in agreement. Johakim sighs. Konnie seems apprehensive. Abigail is stamping her webbed-feet impatiently. All present look to you.

1: How do you respond?
A: Keep going with Plan Waci
B: Switch to New Plan Tommy
C: Something else? What? Write-in.

---

[ITEC Pre-Battle Summary]

Overall moral is low, but improving.
You are unhurt. You are somewhat rested. Your armour is in need of minor repairs.
Kvelar: Is unhurt. He is rested. His armour has been pierced by shrapnel and requires light maintenance. Fights with Axe and Shield, but has a hand-crossbow as well.
Abigail: Is unhurt. She is rested. Her armour requires light maintenance. Fights with a quarterstaff.
Tommy: Is unhurt. He is rested. He fights with a great club.
Konnie: Is unhurt. He is rested. His armour has been pierced by shrapnel and requires light maintenance. He fights dual-wielding daggers.
Khami: Is unhurt. He is rested. His armour requires only minute maintenance. He fights with an iron chain.
Johakim: Is unhurt.

01 x ##Nåzom Stegėth## A Masterwork Siege Arbalest [04/04 Iron "javelins" remaining.]
01 x All Purpose Horse-Drawn Adventuring Wagon
Common Riding Horses for all ITEC members including horses with which to draw your wagons

It is the afternoon of Month 3, Week 2, Day Seven
In one week, you owe [07 wealth] in salaries and general maintenance.
You have [00 wealth] to your name.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
B, if after some time it's clear the snake isn't there, switch back to A

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

B- it is a sound plan! We probably won't even have to fake the argument! :v:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

B

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

B seems reasonable.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

B sounds like the sensible option here.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
b

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

B

I feel like the foof or the acid would come in handy fighting a foe this size. If we could pin it down with an arrow and then throw FOOF on it game over, both for it and everyone in a large radius, including the survivors, but whatever.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
B, but also have the best thrower a little ways away, and they also throw it as soon as the rest of the party are clear of the impact zone. Because FOOF is the best thing ever and I love it.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
B seems like a plan!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
B- Start discussing reduced pay for the month :getin:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Grognan posted:

B- Start discussing reduced pay for the month :getin:
Only after we get the Arbalest re-positioned... but yesss

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
B

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
You know, I'd suggest engineering a completely ridiculous fake argument. A 'fake' argument about some actual issue like payment always has the potential to transform into an actual argument, especially since there might be a Psychic Anger Snake nearby facilitating flaring tempers.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Wrecking Relationships

You decide to go with Tommy's plan, to fake and argument and stage an ambush for the river dwelling anger-snake. You huddle briefly to go over any last minute orders and contingencies and then, at last, you begin.
---

[Local Terrain Primer]

The light blue hexes are water and very difficult terrain. Nearly impossible to fight in, though a decent swimmer or someone properly armed or equipped could make an attempt. They block line of sight and most ranged attacks only if you are submerged.
The dark green hexes are Heavy Forest and provide full cover, but slow movement. Whenever there is more than one Heavy Forest tile between you and your foe, line of sight is blocked, preventing ranged attacks amongst other things.
The light green tiles are grassy plains and confer no bonuses or demerits.
The yellow times are sandy beach and confer no bonuses or demerits.

[Reach primer]

All ITEC fighters have a reach of Meleé unless otherwise noted. This means they can attack an enemy in situated in the adjacent hex-ring.
Khami's iron chains has a reach of 1, meaning he can attack enemies in the hexes adjacent to him as well as the ones in the ring beyond that.
Kvelars Hand-Crossbow has a range of six, meaning it can strike a foe as much as six hex-rings away. (for instance, if Kvelar was situated in hex O-16 he could attempt to fire upon a foe in Hex K-13)
##Nåzom Stegėth## is a Siege Arbalest, range is not an issue. Line of sight however, is. You must have a clear line of sight to the target with no more than one Heavy Forest or other Full Cover Hex in between the Arbalest and its intended target. For more information on ##Nåzom Stegėth## and its operation, see this post.

[ITEC Pre-Battle Summary]

Overall moral is low, but improving.
You are unhurt. You are somewhat rested. Your armour is in need of minor repairs.
Kvelar: Is unhurt. He is rested. His armour has been pierced by shrapnel and requires light maintenance. Fights with Axe and Shield, but has a hand-crossbow as well.
Abigail: Is unhurt. She is rested. Her armour requires light maintenance. Fights with a quarterstaff.
Tommy: Is unhurt. He is rested. He fights with a great club.
Konnie: Is unhurt. He is rested. His armour has been pierced by shrapnel and requires light maintenance. He fights dual-wielding daggers.
Khami: Is unhurt. He is rested. His armour requires only minute maintenance. He fights with an iron chain.
Johakim: Is unhurt.

For more information, on things such as favoured strategies and strengths and weaknesses, please refer to the recruit post.

01 x All Purpose Horse-Drawn Adventuring Wagon.
Common Riding Horses for all ITEC members including horses with which to draw your wagons.

It is the afternoon of Month 3, Week 2, Day Seven
In one week, you owe [07 wealth] in salaries and general maintenance.
You have [00 wealth] to your name.

---

1: Where and how do you position your troops?

A: Do It Yourself.
Write-in. Name a land-bound hex on the above provided battlemap together with the ITEC member you wish to hold that position.
Please be sure to state who you want to mount the Arbalest, and who if anyone you want to act as spotter. As far as you know, no member of ITEC including yourself has ever fired one before, but you intuit it should be easy enough.
Whom present has the best eye is hard to say, but Kvelar is the only one with a ranged weapon of his own.

B: Automate it.
Your team will assemble after what they think is best. Editors Note: There is no guarantee this option will be more optimal than whatever you come up with. Everyone will pick a spot according to their own whims and fancies.

---

2: How long do you want to wait?
You have yet to see the Boa Conflictor, though you suspect it may be near for a variety of reasons. Chief of which is the fact that everyone seems uncharacteristically upset or easily offended. Still, maybe its sleeping? Or maybe its attacking another ship, somewhere further upstream. You can't know for sure until you find it and there is no guarantee, though it does seem likely, that it will come for you.

C: Write-in. How many hours do you want to stay here for your ambush?
It is currently mid-afternoon, a few hours yet before nightfall.

---

3: Do you want to do anything else?

D:
Write in. Suggestions include: Having somebody check for survivors, equipping someone with either a bottle of FOOF or the flasks of acid, or taking the opportunity to test fire the Arbalest.
Do note however that you only have [04 Iron "Javelins"] remaining and you are reasonably sure you wont be able to recover them if you do.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Theantero posted:

You know, I'd suggest engineering a completely ridiculous fake argument. A 'fake' argument about some actual issue like payment always has the potential to transform into an actual argument, especially since there might be a Psychic Anger Snake nearby facilitating flaring tempers.

It might need to be real if it is psychic. I recommend picking the least physically able to disrupt operations and tell them they aren't getting paid. Let the others in on it so they know to restrain them when they lose their poo poo. A real argument will draw it out

A: Arbalest Q16 Kevlar mans it, he has some experience with a crossbow. Khami Spots.

C: Tell Abigal she ain't getting paid and have the brothers restrain her until the snake gets here

Grognan fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 2, 2016

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

B
24 hours
D. Do all

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

[b]Arbalest in F16, manned by that guy we said earlier.

We'll be having an argument in J13/14, basically direct line of sight of the Arbalest.

Our best thrower will have a bottle of FOOF within range of the sandy tiles, if possible out of sight to a creature in them.

When the snake (?) comes out the group runs up and into the forest, arbalest goes off. After a miss or an impact AND the group is away from FOOF blast range (based on previous experience) the thrower launches the bottle if confident on it damaging the creature. He/She immediately retreats into the forest, joining the rest of the group. Reassess after that.

2. One hour before midnight we stop and camp far away from the shoreline. Don't wanna fight in the dark.

Do we know how many tiles the FOOF blast area is?

Can the boa fight on solid ground? I'm oging to check in a few seconds if it says something on the magazine, but worth asking.

Okay, just checked, it can survive on land as well. Sleep very far away from the spot. Also, if we only see the head of the snake above the water stop arguing and go away, it may be preparing for a lunging strike.

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 2, 2016

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The Power of FOOF

Mr. Nemo posted:

Do we know how many tiles the FOOF blast area is?

Guesstimating based on your one previous experience, the blast would consume all within two hexes of the epicentre. You were knocked unconscious last time you used it, but you recall a rain of fire spreading much further than that, and a blast wave as well. FOOF is serious business.

You also recall that no one really wants to touch the stuff or be anywhere near it. Khami flat out refused when you asked him to during the Owlbear fight. In the end you had to bury it underneath a pile of meat and had Skvababt set it off with an arrow.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

We could tie the FOOF to a spear on the arbalest.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

The Power of FOOF

Guesstimating based on your one previous experience, the blast would consume all within two hexes of the epicentre. You were knocked unconscious last time you used it, but you recall a rain of fire spreading much further than that, and a blast wave as well. FOOF is serious business.

You also recall that no one really wants to touch the stuff or be anywhere near it. Khami flat out refused when you asked him to during the Owlbear fight. In the end you had to bury it underneath a pile of meat and had Skvababt set it off with an arrow.

Uh..so...you know how a grenade (or any other explosive really) sets off a huge concussive shockwave when it goes off in water? If we were to say, pinpoint the snake's location in the water and throw the bottle of FOOF in its general vicinity...That'd be effective, right?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nyaa posted:

We could tie the FOOF to a spear on the arbalest.

pretty sure that the launch would explode it

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Underwater Explosions and You

There Bias Two posted:

Uh..so...you know how a grenade (or any other explosive really) sets off a huge concussive shockwave when it goes off in water? If we were to say, pinpoint the snake's location in the water and throw the bottle of FOOF in its general vicinity...That'd be effective, right?

According to the magazine, the monster displays no supernatural toughness. If that is the case, even a glancing hit on land is likely to grievously wound if not kill it outright. You have no idea what a depthcharge is. Contrary to your ever increasing fascination for giant explosions and fire, your life up until this point has been one of underground accountancy, not engineering, physics or warfare. As such, you can only guess, but it should work?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

The Power of FOOF

Okay, new plan.

Bury FOOF under the sand in L12. No thrower. Party argues in K14, retreats into forest at first sign of the snake. Arbalest fires at L12 when the snake emerges, hopefully hitting both the snake and activating the bottle. If not possible prioritize hitting the bottle, but I imagine even shooting at a nearby hex should send a shockwave that would activate it.

Ask the party HOW they would want to position themselves, so we can compare.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Guuuuuyys can we please not explode the lootsnake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Yeah, let's not default to FOOF at every opportunity. Our supply of it is limited, and as has been noted, we have no reason to suspect the monster is supernaturally tough. Just axe and smash it until it dies. Shoot it with the arbalest. Going to copy my earlier plan of action here:

Tentative BATTLE PLAN:
It's weak to Blunt and Pierce, so send Tommy to investigate. Konnie has the best eyes of the team, so send him as well (he is liable to see it slithering in the flotsam before anyone else. Khami should go too, so that he can hopefully cain its mouth and keep it from biting anyone.

The rest stay behind, with Kvelar manning the arbalest (he probably has the best aim of anyone present).