Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Erdos posted:

Just bought RimWorld on steam and I didn't see anything in the first few pages of it's thread. Any tips?

Don't be afraid to mod the game. The base game hates you and wants your colony to die so don't worry too much about getting an OP mod. It won't be OP for long.

Randy Random is actually the most fair storyteller. It'll still gently caress you over, but it'll do it randomly rather than the other two which will build up to increasing levels of gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Anything for Assassin's Creed: Rogue? I've played the main games in the series up to Black Flag.

Rogue isn't that much different from Black Flag. You've got your ship and your crew, there's a trading fleet minigame, you've got a couple of new gadgets that unlock as you progress through the story. Lots of collectibles.

I think it's a better game than Unity turned out to be, but that's not exactly a high bar.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quiet Python posted:

Rogue isn't that much different from Black Flag. You've got your ship and your crew, there's a trading fleet minigame, you've got a couple of new gadgets that unlock as you progress through the story. Lots of collectibles.

I think it's a better game than Unity turned out to be, but that's not exactly a high bar.

I think AC:Rogue is one of those games like Sonic Colours where no-one important cared enough about it to interfere/handhold due to the other upcoming big-name release in the series, so it just came out a quiet, polished, title.

All you really need to know about Rogue is you don't cop a desynch penalty for killing civilians, because you're playing as a Templar. You can use them for distractions or whatever if you really want. It will trigger a growing bounty on your head though.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Centipeed was lightning-quick adding these to the wiki, but I don't see the X/Y tips there. I'm playing a Pokemon game for the first time ever (Y), so they would be very welcome.

I had a handful of tips like 140 pages back:

paco650 posted:

Everyone is right about EXP Share. It has been expanded since Gen II and now affects the entire party. I left it on the entire game and by the end I had three maxed out party members and my HM slave, who had never once been in a battle, was in its early 80s.

Amie has no effect outside of single player besides being cute and collecting cute furniture. In battle, the more doted upon your guys are, the more likely they are to shrug off status effects, land critical hits, dodge attacks, etc. Super Training is EV training and fully training someone can provide small stat boosts. It's largely negligible in single player, but par for the course in competitive multiplayer where a difference of a couple points can mean victory or defeat. Also it's kinda fun to do the secret challenges.

Breeding hasn't changed a whole lot. You can now get egg moves (where known attacks are passed down from parent to baby) from both the dad and mom.

But I'm just bursting with Pokemon tips because I am a huge sperg, so let me know if you need any more beginning advice.

Also, pick Froakie.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

graventy posted:

How about Ori and the Blind Forest?

I remember talk about a few unrepeatable sections that contain collectibles, but I have no idea when to expect them. Did the Definitive Edition fix those?

I recalling hearing in passing that the new edition did fix that, and I notice that the store page specifically mentions "full backtracking support" which must be talking about those sections.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Anything for Furi?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Any tips for Tropico 5?
I do have the complete edition.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

IAmTheRad posted:

Any tips for Tropico 5?
I do have the complete edition.

In general you want 3 of each raw material production per factory you refine it all in. So if you want a textile mill, ideally you feed it with 3 cotton farms and 3 llama ranches for best efficiency. Same deal with Canneries, etc. Ranches need open space around them for grazing land and if properly spread out can be really great.

Parking garages and churches are no longer king poo poo like they were in Tropico 4, but teamsters can become a major limitation quickly. Try to have a teamsters office per production building/dock.

My biggest struggle in 5 is managing to keep enough educated people around to do factory jobs without getting drowned in the uneducated folks who can only work on farms or as teamsters. I highly highly highly recommend keeping your military based around Conscription (recruits do not require high school educations) and your Immigration policy set to Visa Program (nominally biases immigration towards more highly educated workers but mostly seems to get you more grade school educated folks instead of high school/college grads, still they're better than outright illiterates.)

Use the almanac to keep track of your people's needs. There's a happiness tab that'll show you instant polling on how everyone feels about every aspect of your island, and there's a people tab that makes it easy to track how many are homeless or unemployed.

Even if you weren't planning on going heavy into tourism for its own sake, it's important to build up a tourist economy infrastructure if only to provide jobs for illiterates. Hotel maids and pool cabana boys don't need high school diplomas and by the time tourism is an option, most other good jobs will.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

paco650 posted:

I had a handful of tips like 140 pages back:

But I'm just bursting with Pokemon tips because I am a huge sperg, so let me know if you need any more beginning advice.

Also, pick Froakie.

Lies. Fenniken is where it's at

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Anything for Samurai Warriors Orochi 3? it's the free game for Xbox One and i kinda sorta have an idea from playing Dynasty Warriors 8 and Hyrule Warriors but you can really,really see how far the series has come because no lock is pretty bad.

Also the time travel mechanic is pretty weird and the game mentioned in the base camp that switching characters can sometimes unlock new levels and stuff, how prevalent and bullshit are some of these levels to unlock? Because i'm already getting so many people and switching between them all between each mission is going to be a pain.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Anything for Samurai Warriors Orochi 3? it's the free game for Xbox One and i kinda sorta have an idea from playing Dynasty Warriors 8 and Hyrule Warriors but you can really,really see how far the series has come because no lock is pretty bad.

Also the time travel mechanic is pretty weird and the game mentioned in the base camp that switching characters can sometimes unlock new levels and stuff, how prevalent and bullshit are some of these levels to unlock? Because i'm already getting so many people and switching between them all between each mission is going to be a pain.

Not really bullshit to unlock, you'd just have to raise bonds between the characters they're asking for. Missions are a good way of doing that and the bond-locked levels ask you to hit just the first threshold (from red to yellow). These levels aren't too prevalent, I feel, but you may feel differently about that. I wrote a bunch of crap that I'm probably going to revise and someone was nice enough to put it on the wiki over here.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sociopastry posted:

Lies. Fenniken is where it's at

Uh Fenniken turns into some bullshit magic fairy sailor fox girl or something, Froakie turns into a loving badass ninja thing. So. Not even a competition.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Morpheus posted:

Uh Fenniken turns into some bullshit magic fairy sailor fox girl or something, Froakie turns into a loving badass ninja thing. So. Not even a competition.

don't disrespect my witch waifu

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Almost all of the tips on the wiki for Fallout 4 seem to be centered around crafting. Any advice for somebody who wants to avoid the crafting minigame as much as possible?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Morpheus posted:

If I wanna have sailor moon as my companion that's my deal

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

rj54x posted:

Almost all of the tips on the wiki for Fallout 4 seem to be centered around crafting. Any advice for somebody who wants to avoid the crafting minigame as much as possible?

I hear New Vegas is pretty neat.

Seriously, crafting is sort of what Fallout 4 has over other Fallout games or RPG-mechanics-driven sandboxes and Bethesda has gone all-in on it. If you're here for Fallout 4 but not for the crafting you might literally have a better time with an LP of it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rj54x posted:

The game is balanced around you engaging in the crafting game to at least some extent. Otherwise, your ability to deal and take damage is going to struggle as you level. Some tips to mitigate this:

1) Seriously consider using stealth, and in particular ranged (silenced) sneak attacks with Mr. Sandman/Deacon's companion perk/Ninja. Sneak attacks will help level the playing field for you, instead of just being fairly overpowered for everyone else who dives into crafting. Melee and/or stealth melee will be really tough without armor crafting.
2) You'll want to have an ability to generate/find/trade for a lot of caps. Normally that's done with the crafting perks that let you easily create tons of water at your settlements. You're probably going to have to exploit grape mentats and buy in bulk to take that edge off, and be able to carry a lot. There are perks that help with all of the above.
3) Hunt down unique weapons like Overseer's Guardian and Spray n' Pray that come already well if not totally maxed out with the best components.
4) Focus on a particular type of firearm style or two (pistol, rifle, automatic, etc.) and keep up with the +% damage perks for it/them.
5) Keep your eyes peeled for weapons/armor with components that you want. This includes gear you can buy as well as the stuff you find. You can strip them down at crafting benches and apply the components even without the proper perks. You'll still need some amount of junk to craft the base-level for each type of component. For example, you start knowing how to make the worst receiver, so if you find an advanced/powerful receiver you can replace it with a cheapo one then upgrade your weapon with the better part. Silencers/suppressors are fairly easy as a naked barrel doesn't need any junk to "build" in order to strip them off.
6) Adjust your expectations and realize you're going to have to stick to easy/normal difficulties and won't be able to keep up with Survival until you get really, really good and want an absurd challenge.

If you play ball and work via #5 you'll probably eventually warm up to crafting.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

rj54x posted:

It's really pretty harmless, at least when it comes to weapon and armor mods. Give it a try, upgrading your weapons is only a few button presses.

I'd recommend checking out mods if you're on PC. Turning off the inventory weight limit was a huge QOL improvement for me since there's junk to haul everywhere.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
All the XY starters are good. :colbert:

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

The game is balanced around you engaging in the crafting game to at least some extent. Otherwise, your ability to deal and take damage is going to struggle as you level. Some tips to mitigate this:

1) Seriously consider using stealth, and in particular ranged (silenced) sneak attacks with Mr. Sandman/Deacon's companion perk/Ninja. Sneak attacks will help level the playing field for you, instead of just being fairly overpowered for everyone else who dives into crafting. Melee and/or stealth melee will be really tough without armor crafting.
2) You'll want to have an ability to generate/find/trade for a lot of caps. Normally that's done with the crafting perks that let you easily create tons of water at your settlements. You're probably going to have to exploit grape mentats and buy in bulk to take that edge off, and be able to carry a lot. There are perks that help with all of the above.
3) Hunt down unique weapons like Overseer's Guardian and Spray n' Pray that come already well if not totally maxed out with the best components.
4) Focus on a particular type of firearm style or two (pistol, rifle, automatic, etc.) and keep up with the +% damage perks for it/them.
5) Keep your eyes peeled for weapons/armor with components that you want. This includes gear you can buy as well as the stuff you find. You can strip them down at crafting benches and apply the components even without the proper perks. You'll still need some amount of junk to craft the base-level for each type of component. For example, you start knowing how to make the worst receiver, so if you find an advanced/powerful receiver you can replace it with a cheapo one then upgrade your weapon with the better part. Silencers/suppressors are fairly easy as a naked barrel doesn't need any junk to "build" in order to strip them off.
6) Adjust your expectations and realize you're going to have to stick to easy/normal difficulties and won't be able to keep up with Survival until you get really, really good and want an absurd challenge.

If you play ball and work via #5 you'll probably eventually warm up to crafting.

Thanks! I guess I was a bit vague - I know the crafting is an important part of the game, and have no problems screwing around with it for weapons & armor. I just want to spend the smallest amount of time possible playing The Sims and building settlements since it seems, at least as far as I've gotten, boring as poo poo and antithetical to what I want out of a Fallout game (exploring the wasteland, interacting with kooky characters, and shooting them).

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

rj54x posted:

Thanks! I guess I was a bit vague - I know the crafting is an important part of the game, and have no problems screwing around with it for weapons & armor. I just want to spend the smallest amount of time possible playing The Sims and building settlements since it seems, at least as far as I've gotten, boring as poo poo and antithetical to what I want out of a Fallout game (exploring the wasteland, interacting with kooky characters, and shooting them).

Even that isn't as bad as you'd think. All you need is food, power, water, turrets, and beds to get gameplay benefits out of the settlements. Buildings are completely optional.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If you're not above cheating, there are mods that give you 1000 of each crafting material, so that you can make whatever you want/need and not spend time hunting for screws and bits of glue in the wasteland.

Scrounging for materials/managing resources is part of the gameplay, so such a mod will ruin that of course, but if you don't find that part of the game fun, it's an easy cheat to get around it. Combine with an increased carry capacity console command for best results.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rj54x posted:

Oh, ok. Well, short of Survival, the game is pretty playable with only one more-or-less unpopulated settlement (i.e. Sanctuary) where you just futz around making your weapons and armor and storing your horde.

It's pretty expensive cap-wise to not have a steady stream of adhesive via vegetable starch, though. As you go, your off-duty companions will hang out and can do that basic farming, and with some Science! you can exploit that purified water racket I mentioned to maintain your cash flow. This is in vanilla- as mentioned, you may want to have a simple mod that obviates the need for junk-scrounging so you can focus on living your best post-apocalyptic life.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

Oh, ok. Well, short of Survival, the game is pretty playable with only one more-or-less unpopulated settlement (i.e. Sanctuary) where you just futz around making your weapons and armor and storing your horde.

It's pretty expensive cap-wise to not have a steady stream of adhesive via vegetable starch, though. As you go, your off-duty companions will hang out and can do that basic farming, and with some Science! you can exploit that purified water racket I mentioned to maintain your cash flow. This is in vanilla- as mentioned, you may want to have a simple mod that obviates the need for junk-scrounging so you can focus on living your best post-apocalyptic life.

OK - so I should be able to address the adhesive issue by planting a bunch of veggies?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rj54x posted:

OK - so I should be able to address the adhesive issue by planting a bunch of veggies?
3 mutfruit, 3 tato, 3 corn, 1 purified water. Just those 3 crops, in multiples of 3 each.

Oh, and cutting fluid is pretty handy for a steady stream of oil, so keep an eye out for acid and bone junk. Those plus steel and purified water will have you set.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Erdos posted:

Just bought RimWorld on steam and I didn't see anything in the first few pages of it's thread. Any tips?

Turrets will instantly destroy anything in a three block radius when they blow up, so if you put them right next to each other then your entire defensive line will be annihilated in about thirty seconds.

Don't be afraid to save scum when you first start out to learn the mechanics.

Dwarf Fortressing into a mountain as a starter base sounds like a good idea but in reality it takes forever to mine out rooms and when you finally do the whole place will be dark and filthy. Dirty rooms give a negative mood, if your whole base is dirty then people will go insane pretty fast.

When someone does go crazy you want to make sure you tell your remaining colonists to drop their weapons before taking down the madman, bruises will easily heal but cuts and bullet holes will not.

Make a colony with perimeter walls and only one entrance, at least for early game raids the enemies will only go for the entrance and you can funnel them in.

Don't ignore mad animals, even squirrels can gently caress someone up good.

Personal shields cannot be used with ranged weapons.

Make like Matt Damon and grow tons of potatoes as soon as you can, they are the most reliable source of food and won't spoil if they are in your freezer.

You're going to die eventually, don't stress about it. Raiders don't generally destroy colonies, heat waves do. You can make a masterpiece of a base and it will still get destroyed because all your food spoiled in the heat and everyone is getting heatstroke in their masterfully decorated rooms because it's 500 degrees F outside.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 2, 2016

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Dwarf Fortressing into a mountain as a starter base sounds like a good idea but in reality it takes forever to mine out rooms and when you finally do the whole place will be dark and filthy. Dirty rooms give a negative mood, if your whole base is dirty then people will go insane pretty fast.

This is not at all why you don't want to dig into mountains.

If you do have problems with your base being dark and filthy set your most annoying colonist up with only cleaning and hauling duties. Don't forget to also train some animals to haul. And if things are dark, put lights in.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

1redflag posted:

Anything for Furi?

When you begin the dodge will feel a bit iffy, thats because it's actually a charge that fires when you release the dodge button, and the longer you charge the further you dodge.

Successful parries restore health. If you've got a bosses melee attacks down you can parry your way back from critical health.

You will go back to max health and recover a block of life each time you take down a boss' life bar. If you're still on a bosses first life bar and lose two blocks in a row it may be worth restarting the fight over.

Parrying isn't just a melee technique, you can parry some projectiles too.

Charged projectile attacks can knock bosses out of some of their attacks if you manage to connect.

Bosses will sometimes switch to a melee form where you're forced to fight in close quarters inside a circle, where your regular projectiles are disabled. Instead, you're given a charge attack that greatly powers up your next melee hit. Make sure you charge up while waiting for an opening.

There is a button that will auto-walk you to the next encounter after each boss fight.

Boss difficulty varies wildly, so don't be put off if you're struggling early.

Vague end-game spoilers: Walk to the beach, then walk to the tower.

Most importantly, you can buy the soundtrack here.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ryoshi posted:

This is not at all why you don't want to dig into mountains.

If you do have problems with your base being dark and filthy set your most annoying colonist up with only cleaning and hauling duties. Don't forget to also train some animals to haul. And if things are dark, put lights in.

Infestations are more of a long term thing, if you are just starting out then mood modifiers are more of the issue.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Picked up a Vita today and on vaguely remembered recommendations I picked up Odin Sphere Leifthrasir anyone's loving guess if I got that right or not. Anyway, I never played the original Odin Sphere. What should I know?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Ciaphas posted:

Picked up a Vita today and on vaguely remembered recommendations I picked up Odin Sphere Leifthrasir anyone's loving guess if I got that right or not. Anyway, I never played the original Odin Sphere. What should I know?

If you have a blue psypher keep offensive alchemy like cyclone stocked for slimes. If you have a red psypher you should be fine, you can beat up slimes on your own

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

What should I know?

ya done good

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

Vadun posted:

If you have a blue psypher keep offensive alchemy like cyclone stocked for slimes. If you have a red psypher you should be fine, you can beat up slimes on your own

Having never played Odin Sphere, I think this post made me feel how my grandparents must when I try and describe my job in computer engineering

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Good call. Odin Sphere is great.

So some tips. Keep in mind I'm not through the entire game yet but these are general enough that they should last you throughout the game.

- This is way easier than the original release of Odin Sphere, so min maxing and literal farming is not as much as a huge issue. That said you can also play the original build of Odin Sphere if you like. Don't unless you want a challenge or to see how far the game has come.

- You no longer have to buy inventory upgrades, they are mission rewards exclusively. Also your seeds and mandragoras no longer take up inventory space. You also have an item chest to store stuff so don't stress about what to keep/sell.

- That said, don't really sell stuff. Every item can be used in some form of alchemy and cash is mega plentiful. If you want to abuse it, I think it's a combination of 2 or 3 onnion to make a bonus gold potion. Good luck finding that resources as Gwendolyn until the endgame though.

- A Ranked up Juggler potion is a good way to clean up trash sitting around the item box if you do want to get rid of stuff like extra bones and stems. Odds are good you'll at least get some food and a few potions out of it. Sometimes of pretty good rank.

- In terms of of alchemy, I like to keep one of every spell around for emergencies and either use extra drops as a bonus in tough fights or to power up my existing potion. I like to get stuff that gives you bonus resources (cash, exp, phozons, buffs) at the highest level possible and not stress to much about healing potions and the like.

- Make sure you're planting seeds and eating food. Most of your direct stat HP buffs will ultimately come from eating over the course of the game. In general saving raw ingredients for the chef is more beneficial XP, HP and Healing wise, that you will not have access to all the recipes right away. And will be rolling in resources with moderate grinding. And can buy most of the rarer things directly.

- The game implies that you should plant seeds at the beginning of a fight and let Phozon come to them naturally. This is a fools move and will net you rotten fruit unless you're on the ball. (Not all that bad as it makes healing potions) Just plant stuff and manually release Phozon when you want to grow things.

- A lot of guides say that you should pick a few skills to focus on and get them to max. This is probably good postgame advice because you will be needing to grind. As for just going through the game I'd say get each characters passive skills to max, then get everything else to level 2. Experiment, and if something stands out for you buff it more by all means.

- There are hidden areas that have skills in them in each level. The skill grid will give you a clue to where they are, it's not that cryptic but just get a guide if you're stumped. A lot of great skills are the hidden ones.

- The secondary skills that use gold orbs from leveling up will help you customize to your play style. You get one orb per level in case you want to know, so just pick what sounds good to you.

- All the characters are pretty unique in their play style. Gwendolyn is a good all around intro, and has an awesome air game. But keep in mind that not everything you learn as her will apply to everyone. (Hello Mercedes)

- Speaking of combat, you can assign an absolutely insane number of inputs for your special moves. Including fighting game style inputs. I switched over to using fighting game inputs to do anything that's a physical attack and right stick + O to do magic attacks. Buffs, huge Spells and really situational stuff just stay on the regular skill menu. Experiment to find something that works for you, and combat becomes an absolute joy.

- You'll get 5 kinds of coins in this game. Three of them are exclusively for restaurants so just feel free to go nuts with those as it will get you mega HP boosts. The other 2 are normal currency and will be used freely. In the original build you had to select what coins to use manually, each has a different gold value. This is a huge improvement.

Edit - Scoring System Stuff

Keep your combos high, don't get hit to avoid losing rank. Time is not a huge factor, but if you let a battle draw out too long you will start to lose rank at a steady rate.

Growing Food, Using Items, Long Combos and pretty much anything else will net you a point increase. A big spell connecting with a huge group is in particular a good way to get rank. Don't think of this like DMC or Bayonetta where item's cost you. Good wild and have fun. You will in fact likely need magic in a few situations unless you are super good.

The yellow bar that surrounds your current rank will fill in or drain depending on your performance. It's possible to recover lost bar ,but I'm pretty sure if you let it drop a whole letter there's no way back up. That said there no penalty for dying really, or retrying so if you want to for S Ranks feel free.

The game actually tracks your rank from when the last enemy dies, not from when the HUD vanishes. So don't just mash restart if everything is dead and it looks like you've gone down to an A.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 3, 2016

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Vadun posted:

Slimes thankfully don't work that way in the remake. They just have a lot of health.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks for all the tips! This game is pretty :3: Feels rather mashy so far though, up to beating up that dragon--Belial I think it was. I imagine that's just being the beginning of the game, though, and what the hell, I love beat em ups.

Do seeds and Phozon and stuff transfer between characters, whenever that happens, or canm I just use all this crap Valkyrie lady has?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 3, 2016

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

rj54x posted:

I had a long-rear end post a while ago on the subject of Fallout 4 in general:

paco650 posted:

Long-rear end post incoming:

Roleplaying has taken a further backseat to gunplay, which is somewhat better than it used to be.

Skills are out. Everything is now based around your SPECIAL stats and Perks you either invest levels in or find magazines for, including just about everything there used to be a skill for. For instance, Lockpicking is no longer a skill, but the Locksmith perk (4 PER) can be taken 4 times to access increasingly difficult locks and finally, at the 4th level, make lockpicks unbreakable. Almost every level of every perk adds a conditional effect in addition to just making you better at the thing. Some are immediately game-changing and good as hell, some require some investment to be truly worth it. A small handful are pretty useless.

Weapon types are no longer assigned to skills either. Melee and Unarmed scale with STR and their designated STR perks. Explosives are under PER. Guns are now divided into Big Guns (STR), Non-auto rifles (PER), Non-auto pistols, and all automatic weapons (both AGI). Luckily most of these require minimal investment to reach; Big Guns and Explosives require the most at 5 of their respective SPECIAL stat while the rest are around 1 or 2.

Weapons and armor are now changeable with mods. You build mods with Junk items, which contain scrap, and whatever perks are relevant. For instance, to change a Pipe Pistol into a Pipe Rifle, you'll need some Wood and Copper and Adhesive as well as a level in Gun Nut (INT 3). Craft it at the Weapon Bench and now you'll have a Pipe Rifle and a spare pipe pistol grip floating around. Stripping looted weapons and armor pieces of mods doesn't require a perk, but you must replace the higher-level mods with different ones. For instance, you find a nice Pipe Rifle with a Recoil-Absorbing Stock. You can replace that Stock with the spare Grip you had from before, or you can build a basic Grip or Stock to switch it out for.

Weapon and armor degradation are out entirely.

Unique weapons and armor are pretty much gone. In their place are mundane weapons and armor with Legendary modifiers (dropped by Legendary enemies or bought for a lot of caps from vendors) that add stats or damage or change the way a weapon works. Some of the ones you can buy from vendors are specially named, but these are still run-of-the-mill weapons and armor with a predetermined legendary modifier, not unique models.

Karma and Reputation are largely out. Specific actions may make companions happy or angry. Make them happy long enough and you'll earn a unique Perk. Make them hate you, or betray their pet faction, and they'll leave you and possibly start shooting at you. You are either in a faction's good graces or you are their enemy. It's possible to ride the line for a large part of the game, but eventually you will start having to make them-or-us decisions regarding the Institute, the Brotherhood of Steel, and the Railroad. The Minutemen are sort of a backup option, having the least interesting but least breakable plot, in case you decide to rightly open fire on all those other jerks.

Dogmeat and any robots you build have no happy companion perk and no moral system. Go nuts.

Many enemies got a bit of an overhaul and now employ different tactics while trying to kill you. Most animals will just assault you like usual, but Mole Rats, Radscorpions, and Mirelurks now burrow. Mirelurk shells are also much bigger since they're now just big-rear end crabs instead of crab people, and will rush you down while hiding their bodies. Feral Ghouls can take a lot of limb punishment and can sprint like the wind before jumping you. Flying bugs, of which there are now 3 families, are still agile as hell and sometimes need VATS shots or AoE to kill handily. Super Mutants and Raiders now blind fire into spots they suspect you're hiding, and Super Mutants have a few new tricks too. Raiders and Gunners now employ turrets, spotlights, power armor, and big loving guns (including Fat Men) when guarding important spots. Robots are now much more robust.

Settlements are moderately customizable towns you can build up with scrap parts and a couple Charisma perks. They will fill up with a bunch of people named Settler who will live and work at whichever settlement they wander into. Unless you side with the Minutemen, you can largely ignore settlement building because it is a time and resource sink and the actual benefits are pretty slight. There will be a tutorial mission chain early on so I won't go too deep here. Any Junk items you drop off at a settlement are fair game for crafting. Taking the Local Leader perk (CHR 6) lets you establish supply chains between settlements so all of your Junk, Aid, Mods, and food and water resources are shared.

Some of my favorite perks: Aquaboy/Aquagirl 1 lets you breathe underwater and take no RAD damage while swimming. Strong Back 4 brings back overencumbered fast travel. Moving Target 3 lets you sprint much, much more than you'd think. Critical Banker let you save critical hits for future use. Scrapper 2 will highlight lootable objects in the world that contain the Junk you're looking for. Robotics Expert 1 lets you shut down basically any robot you come across from a distance and from the safety of your Pip Boy screen; you can still kill it while it is deactivated. Inspirational 2 lets you go bugnuts with the explosives without worrying about hurting your companion.

I don't know what else to write. They changed up a lot of stuff in FO4 but none of it is real inscrutable or anything. Remember to keep up on your weapon perk of choice as well as Medic, which helps you to not die.

This is probably too long for the wiki but I hope it helped/helps. Also, before you play, grab the mod or manual fix that allows you to take Dogmeat as a second permanent companion, as the game was literally designed that way (having him along has story flags and conversation lines, Lone Wanderer perk doesn't consider him an actual companion, and other companions are supposed to react to you healing him in battle) and I have no idea why they changed it.

BrightWing posted:

All the XY starters are good. :colbert:

Also this. Even Chose-not.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks for all the tips! This game is pretty :3: Feels rather mashy so far though, up to beating up that dragon--Belial I think it was. I imagine that's just being the beginning of the game, though, and what the hell, I love beat em ups.

Do seeds and Phozon and stuff transfer between characters, whenever that happens, or canm I just use all this crap Valkyrie lady has?

Each character has their own inventory. Everyone starts at level 1 with 0 Phozon, Negligible Gold and a fixed set of items.

Basically if you've got it, use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Anything before I play Shandalar? I've played a lot of MtG over the years, but got into it years after this game came out. I'll be playing the 2015 fan-update, if that matters at all.