Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
i liked skullgirls because I could play as the zoner and not have to learn all the combos and resets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what do people do with the skullgirls team/assist system? did the meta move in a particular direction or are teams with 1 character just as common as teams with 2 or 3?

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

They really ought to add battle.net-style chatrooms to FGs

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Real hurthling! posted:

what do people do with the skullgirls team/assist system? did the meta move in a particular direction or are teams with 1 character just as common as teams with 2 or 3?

they arent just as common but there's definitely some solo players. most are 2 and 3 though.

e: basically there's some characters who do well as solo characters, and others who don't. so if you want to have a good solo "team" you have to play one of the former, whereas there's a lot more characters who work well in 2 or 3s

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what would marvel be like if you could just play morrigan or whoever with 3 life bars and increased power?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

what would marvel be like if you could just play morrigan or whoever with 3 life bars and increased power?
nobody would do that because assists are so strong in marvel

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Real hurthling! posted:

my understanding is that at serious levels of play it's almost exclusively teams of 3

like there was one guy who top 8'd with solo Fortune once but this was back when she was the best character in the game by a huge margin instead of just pretty good, and also he only did it because the other two characters he was going to use had just been changed and he hadn't had time to practice with them yet

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Real hurthling! posted:

You can already kill everyone meterless with one hit, so...

Alternatively, we'd see a lot of two character teams, maybe? Assists are pretty powerful, but a lot of teams only REALLY need one and use an anchor to take advantage of XF3. If we assume a 2-man team in Marvel 3 would have increased damage and health, it wouldn't be a terrible tradeoff - hell, it might stop some one-touch kills from 3-man teams. I don't think many characters would be great as a solo unit, Magneto and Vergil come to mind, Morrigan isn't stellar by herself, Hidden Missiles is what makes her lockdown so amazing, and a damage/health buff wouldn't change much.

I was gonna make the joke and then started blabbering about theory Marvel 3 welp.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Just signed up and looking forward to playing in the "Race for 2nd place behind kajoq" tournament tomorrow.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Solos are viable at Skullgirls at high end. There is a high level exclusive Valentine player. Sonicfox fucks around with solo Fukua at times. The game is very versatile.

Shiki Dan posted:

Just signed up and looking forward to playing in the "Race for 2nd place behind kajoq" tournament tomorrow.

Viper Snake will take it.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

i signed up for this tournament i havent played in 2 years.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
The only answer is solo Big Band.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

my understanding is that at serious levels of play it's almost exclusively teams of 3

like there was one guy who top 8'd with solo Fortune once but this was back when she was the best character in the game by a huge margin instead of just pretty good, and also he only did it because the other two characters he was going to use had just been changed and he hadn't had time to practice with them yet

There are several other Solos who have had results in tournaments, and even now there are still some Solo players going strong.

Any character can be viable with solo at this point except for maybe Robo. Solos got really nice with them being able to heal with Snapbacks so that they can come back from pressure/resets better.

(I have several tournaments results with Solo and no one ever remembers :( )

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

bhsman posted:

The only answer is solo Big Band.

Isn't there actually one Japanese Big Band player who somehow makes it work?

VVVV I'm probably misremembering someone just using him as not an assist mainly.

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 3, 2016

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
No, there aren't very many good Solo Japanese players from what I've seen. There was that one Solo Peacock 2 years ago but I haven't seen him in forever.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Is Squigly a viable solo character? I don't have the brains for team management but I really like Squigs and her stance mechanic.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll give whoever wins the VSav tourney my extra copy of Ratz 2.0 Instagib.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I signed up without ever having played the game before in my life but I'll learn a combo tomorrow at some point.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
solobella was p fun because people got real salty about the lovely grab OS before it got nerfed.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Real hurthling! posted:

Sonic won the CEO2016 side tournament with solo Fukua.

Everything is good. Trio is really standard but you see a fair few really good duo players (like LazyDiablos, Swiftfox-dash, and 159man). Dekillsage and Sonicfox have a ton of teams they each play, and Sonic is currently on a mission to demonstrate that solos are good by winning with them.

Solo Big Band is notorious for being extremely effective online and very random offline. In order to make it out of pools, you will eventually have to learn how to beat Solo Big Band. They will random you out if you are not consistent.

Reiley posted:

Is Squigly a viable solo character? I don't have the brains for team management but I really like Squigs and her stance mechanic.

Most Squigly players use a team because she gets a ton of mileage off of assists, her assists are great, her DHCs are safe, and she can do lots of different team-based setups. As a solo, Squigly's biggest buff is that her damage output goes through the roof. Squigly's problem as a solo is a significant reduction in reversal options-- she either has to spend a Dragon stance charge or a meter for true reversal options.

The stupid stuff Squigs can do is all the more effective in solo. If you have Dragon charge and a meter you basically don't have to play neutral-- Sing xx SBO or Sing xx Daisy are both unblockable after the sing startup since it counts as a super flash. You drop out of people's combos all the time because you have a tiny hurtbox. You can low profile pretty much everything. You have a tracking low projectile. You have a divekick. She's really good, but that's SG. Give her a try.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Playing MVC2 in the arcade today has made me realize that I execute 1000% better while standing at an arcade cabinet over sitting down with a stick on my lap.

halp.

wat do.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Night Blade posted:

Playing MVC2 in the arcade today has made me realize that I execute 1000% better while standing at an arcade cabinet over sitting down with a stick on my lap.

halp.

wat do.

Get a standing desk or something.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Night Blade posted:

halp.

wat do.

http://www.recroommasters.com/

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

i liked skullgirls because I could play as the zoner and not have to learn all the combos and resets.

I know at least three people who stopped playing Skullgirls because of your Peacock :argh:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i really want to play skullgirls now

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i started up ki again for the 3rd time ever

its fun and the tutorial is p. cool

who are the cool characters. i know chief thunder was changed from how he was in the original KI, which blows because he was my favorite then

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Cinder is cool

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
no bread and butter combo should ever involve more than 15 button presses

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Pomp posted:

no bread and butter combo should ever involve more than 15 button presses

4-5 tops

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i started up ki again for the 3rd time ever

its fun and the tutorial is p. cool

who are the cool characters. i know chief thunder was changed from how he was in the original KI, which blows because he was my favorite then

Thunder is still Really Cool.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Reiley posted:

She is, but it involves playing pretty differently than how she does on a team. The same can be said for every Solo, but its more apparent for Squiggly because you don't have as many free spots to build charge like if you had an assist. That and her reversals outside of charge/level 3 aren't the best so getting out of pressure will take more work. The upside is that Her Charged DP (especially if you have meter) is easily one of if not the best reversals which helps out a lot for a solo.

The big part of Solo for competitive/high level play is that you just have to be good, and commonly a lot of new players who aren't used to game play Solo. Most of the hangups I've heard from others who tried solo were like "I can't deal with pressure/resets, I get hit and then I get stuck in the corner and die" or "I can't deal with X character/assist/team, what can I do?", and usually in all of those cases it just involved recognizing situations better. I guess it may be obvious, but it's sort of the #1 thing I see all the time; that isn't to say it makes Solos top tier, since it's pretty hard to argue that having less options would make you higher tier, but they are certainly viable and can easily take games off of teams. Those same hangups I said before will apply just as much to teams as it will to solos, and unless you AC or reversal to safe DHCs, nothing will be different.

The truth is, Solos are just "scarier" to play since they don't get Incoming mixups (which forcibly give players a chance to block a mixup when they're losing in the corner) or Alpha counters, and assists just make things safer. But the risk can definitely be worth it, and there are times where Solo definitely can be very beneficial.

Pomp posted:

Late, but see me in sg

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Pomp posted:

Add me.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/gunraidan

I'll play with you, and show you the basics if you want.

Reiley posted:

I don't recall seeing some, but anyone is a viable solo character except probably Robo. And even that can likely change due to the new buff patch she's getting, as she is finally receiving a reversal.

Broken Loose posted:

Sonic won the CEO2016 side tournament with solo Fukua.

Everything is good. Trio is really standard but you see a fair few really good duo players (like LazyDiablos, Swiftfox-dash, and 159man). Dekillsage and Sonicfox have a ton of teams they each play, and Sonic is currently on a mission to demonstrate that solos are good by winning with them.

Solo Big Band is notorious for being extremely effective online and very random offline. In order to make it out of pools, you will eventually have to learn how to beat Solo Big Band. They will random you out if you are not consistent.

Most Squigly players use a team because she gets a ton of mileage off of assists, her assists are great, her DHCs are safe, and she can do lots of different team-based setups. As a solo, Squigly's biggest buff is that her damage output goes through the roof. Squigly's problem as a solo is a significant reduction in reversal options-- she either has to spend a Dragon stance charge or a meter for true reversal options.

The stupid stuff Squigs can do is all the more effective in solo. If you have Dragon charge and a meter you basically don't have to play neutral-- Sing xx SBO or Sing xx Daisy are both unblockable after the sing startup since it counts as a super flash. You drop out of people's combos all the time because you have a tiny hurtbox. You can low profile pretty much everything. You have a tracking low projectile. You have a divekick. She's really good, but that's SG. Give her a try.

Great post.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I play solo Squigly because I never put in the time to learn anybody else (asides from mashing projectiles with Peacock)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Thunder is still Really Cool.

i heard he was a grappler now

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't recall seeing some, but anyone is a viable solo character except probably Robo. And even that can likely change due to the new buff patch she's getting, as she is finally receiving a reversal.

Uh, did mike ever confirm she was getting a reversal? I've heard a lot of Robo things, but a new reversal was not one of them. And...it'd be boring/un-needed if she did? Solo Robo's big problems atm are that her laser zoning w/o assists is very awkward, her head summons are pretty underwhelming (aside from Head mine), key parts of her combo strings doesn't function properly, and her Solo reset/mixup potential is all awkward and not great aside from jMP crossups. It's like playing Peacock (who also doesn't have great reversals) if half of Peacock's tools didn't work right. That's more of the problem with robo, not so much that she needs a real reversal. Robo with the right assists can avoid most of these problems, which is why Robo is fine on teams.

The only specific things I heard that was getting fixed were some of the things I mentioned above, but if he did something like make L Danger completely invincible, that'd be pretty boring imo.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 3, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Mike Z said she was getting a reversal at Salty according to the dozens of people watching. I also don't get the criticisms of Robo's "lack of zoning" with her lazers. They can be very effective as long as she is very mobile.

Also Robo needs a reversal because she is powerless once hit. Nothing is worse in Skullgirls than Robo in a corner.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

the combo system in ki is pretty fun

also it's really sad how much better it is than sfv

also ty A.o.D for telling me thunder is cool because i played him a bit today. seemed a bit slower compared to all the tutorials i played with jago, but i like him.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i heard he was a grappler now

He's a grappler that can get in and has crazy uppercut mixups and juggles. You can win without his command throw, his back normal throw is a combo starter, he has really good low attacks that do a great job of shutting down the 'just walk away' defense, and his command throw has a ton of range.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Ventana posted:

The truth is, Solos are just "scarier" to play since they don't get Incoming mixups (which forcibly give players a chance to block a mixup when they're losing in the corner) or Alpha counters, and assists just make things safer. But the risk can definitely be worth it, and there are times where Solo definitely can be very beneficial.

Ask Me About Dropping Combos/Having My Resets Blocked Against A Solo On Stream And Losing Half My Team Because Of It: My Combo Breaker Story

(I have problems in exhibitions, though. My streamed set against ShinATProof's solo Val was just as much of a travesty, not to mention that was an online cross-country connection. At least I do well in tournament!)

punk rebel ecks posted:

Mike Z said she was getting a reversal at Salty according to the dozens of people watching. I also don't get the criticisms of Robo's "lack of zoning" with her lazers. They can be very effective as long as she is very mobile.

Also Robo needs a reversal because she is powerless once hit. Nothing is worse in Skullgirls than Robo in a corner.

I suppose the jig is up if he's saying things. Magnet is going to get invuln so it's a true reversal. She'll still have to spend meter. There are a bunch of other incoming Robo changes but I'm not allowed to speak about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
^^^ Magnet being invincible would be okay by me I suppose, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I also don't get the criticisms of Robo's "lack of zoning" with her lazers. They can be very effective as long as she is very mobile.

Also Robo needs a reversal because she is powerless once hit.

The lasers do zone, but they don't have great coverage and atm don't function properly (cases where they "should win but end up not working, particularly against Peacock). Her mobility is good but it doesn't really make up for how she can't really keep anyone out very well from those things. You can try to offset that by playing midrange with more buttons when you feel the opponent coming in, but most robos don't like her buttons either. She's still okay. Its not like she's terrible, but she is lacking and part of that is cause things don't "feel" like they are doing what they should, and that's what most Robo players are complaining about.

And being powerless when hit is the idea of the character, exactly the same as peacock who's only reversal is pretty weak. It makes for more interesting design, and I'd rather have the character have their neutral tools fixed to be good rather than just giving her a better invincible tool.