Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Neurolimal posted:

The series is quite impressive in how consistently bad the lighting and editing is.

E: DC's universe building is so hilariously blunt if those spoilers are true. Entire marketing of the film for months revolves around Harley Quinn and Joker, an enormous segment of the film is devoted to her backstory aaand....she bails out of the film early on and Joker barely shows up outside the backstory. They might as well have had her yell "See ya in Batman (2020)!"

I mean I know the rest of the cast sans Will isn't very photogenic (poop witch, flaming hot hispanic guy named Diablo, boomerang man, rope man, Japan), but still.

More plot spoilers

poo poo, I totally blanked. Joker's helicopter gets shot down and she manages to jump out on top of a building, thinking he's dead. She bumps into the rest of the team while she's on top of a car crying, then when they come through she puts on a brave face. That's just before the bar scene happens IIRC.

Joker re-appears at the end and busts into the jail wearing full combat gear and goons dressed similarly with panda masks, and breaks her out. But after the point of the helicopter crash it's fairly negligible how much she adds to the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I said come in! posted:

These reviews have made me very worried now for Wonder Woman, and Justice League. Warner Brothers and DC need to get their poo poo together pronto. Back to back awful movies like this is not good in this genre.

There seems to be plenty of quips in Justice League, don't worry.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I could have sworn that I read somewhere that they were going with a MA+15/R rating for this. That's honestly really disappointing that they decided that it had to be available for all ages when Deadpool already showed that you can have a successful superhero film without a PG-13 rating.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
You can have a successful superhero film without a PG-13 rating if your character has been an internet meme for a decade.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
When I go to see a DC/Warners film, I am astonished when it's good. When I go to see a Marvel Studios film, I am astonished when it's bad.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

computer parts posted:

The point is that box office success is not related to critical success, and that's what will determine anything about future films.

I understood the simplistic point you were making, having critical bombs and divisive receptions are actually going to have a dramatic effect on future ticket sales for related movies. The first Transformers had the best reception critically, and the second movie had the best box office, despite worse reviews. Each subsequent movie after the second has done worse than the first movie if you adjust for inflation.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

You can have a successful superhero film without a PG-13 rating if your character has been an internet meme for a decade.

They would have made mad bank on Harley Quinn alone.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I said come in! posted:

These reviews have made me very worried now for Wonder Woman, and Justice League. Warner Brothers and DC need to get their poo poo together pronto. Back to back awful movies like this is not good in this genre.

Wonder Woman still looks pretty good, Justice League's trailer could be a bit better

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I never liked the look of the trailers. They seemed to be aiming for a Guardians of the Galaxy vibe but they lacked the color. Look at Captain Boomerang. In the comics he has a colorful blue costume but it seems the movie is embarrassed about that. And Enchantress ... holy christ. Only Joker and Harley Quinn look good.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Kurzon posted:

I never liked the look of the trailers. They seemed to be aiming for a Guardians of the Galaxy vibe but they lacked the color. Look at Captain Boomerang. In the comics he has a colorful blue costume but it seems the movie is embarrassed about that. And Enchantress ... holy christ. Only Joker and Harley Quinn look good.

In Jokers case (for me personally), it's less that he looks good and more that he has a distinctive look. Everyone just have such muted and downplayed looks that Joker & Harley stick out from them big time.

edit: Someone bought up Constantine a couple of pages ago and literally the only reason to watch it is because Tilda Swinton owns bones.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 3, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Heavy Metal posted:

Granted, though I'm sure a few of them are critics, maybe some not deemed worthy by RT. Did you know they don't count reviews from AintItCoolNews for example?

why would they ever count them.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kurzon posted:

When I go to see a DC/Warners film, I am astonished when it's good. When I go to see a Marvel Studios film, I am astonished when it's bad.

It's like a cycle at this point.

MCU: GotG/Ant-Man/Civil War is gonna be the big flop guys! The Marvel bubble is about to burst!

DCU: Ok that was kinda bad, but BvS/SS/WW is looking pretty good!

I mean Wonder Woman actually does look pretty good but so did the first trailer of Suicide Squad.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Up to this point there hasn't been a truly bad MCU film. Iron Man 2 is supposed to be the weakest but I enjoyed that one too.

The source of MCU's success is not the creative talent but it's manager, Kevin Feige. Notice that he leaves relatively little control to directors and writers. It is said that the strength of the comic books rests on the editors, not the writers, and Marvel seems to understand this. It's no coincidence that the only studio that can reliably produce good superhero movies is actually owned and operated by a comic book publisher.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Kurzon posted:

Up to this point there hasn't been a truly bad MCU film. Iron Man 2 is supposed to be the weakest but I enjoyed that one too.

The source of MCU's success is not the creative talent but it's manager, Kevin Feige. Notice that he leaves relatively little control to directors and writers. It is said that the strength of the comic books rests on the editors, not the writers, and Marvel seems to understand this. It's no coincidence that the only studio that can reliably produce good superhero movies is actually owned and operated by a comic book publisher.

They are all the same movie, so if you liked Iron Man 1, I can see why you'd feel that way.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Kurzon posted:

Most are actually bad, from what I've seen:

Iron Man 1 is an apologia for celebrity worship, techno-fetishism, and the War on Terror. Iron Man 2 has already been mentioned. Iron Man 3 is a truther movie.

Avengers is just all around terribly directed and written.

Captain America 2 blames Neonazi infiltration for the ills of the American security complex. Captain America 3 is no longer even about America.

quote:

The source of MCU's success is not the creative talent... little control to directors and writers... the strength of the comic books rests on the editors, not the writers...

Jesus loving christ.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 3, 2016

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Most are actually bad, from what I've seen:

Iron Man 1 is an apologia for celebrity worship, techno-fetishism, and the War on Terror. Iron Man 2 has already been mentioned. Iron Man 3 is a truther movie.

Avengers is terribly directed and written.

Captain America 2 blames Neonazi infiltration for the ills of the American security complex. Captain America 3 is no longer even about America.

Jesus loving christ.
Wow you acclimated really fast, didn't you?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Kurzon posted:

Wow you acclimated really fast, didn't you?

Very conductive discussion.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kurzon posted:

Yeah, but none of the movies save Guardians are really all that spectacular. Everyone gets mad when I make the comparison, but they're all on par with the first Transformers movie, IMO (except the ones that are worse, like Avengers and Thor). The first Transformers movie was pretty fun to watch, but it's not something that really shines brightly.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
Already been called out in this thread but

"The characters are the ultimate in squad goals" -- http://www.arcamax.com/entertainment/entertainmenttoday/s-1857980

ughghghghghghhghghghgh

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Testekill posted:

They would have made mad bank on Harley Quinn alone.

One wonders why they didn't just make a movie actually about her/her and the Joker. It's kind of baffling, unless they're keeping that film in the chamber out of a misguided confidence that they'll have time to get around to it later.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

One wonders why they didn't just make a movie actually about her/her and the Joker. It's kind of baffling, unless they're keeping that film in the chamber out of a misguided confidence that they'll have time to get around to it later.

I feel like a Joker/Harley movie would be interesting if they did a Natural Born Killers thing with it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

PenguinKnight posted:

Wonder Woman still looks pretty good, Justice League's trailer could be a bit better

Yeah, you'd have to really gently caress up to have "Wonder Woman fights the god damned Nazi War Machine" bomb in theaters. Especially since her showing up and starting to cut loose was one of the highlights of Batman v Superman.

That god damned theme music. :allears:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wade Wilson posted:

Yeah, you'd have to really gently caress up to have "Wonder Woman fights the god damned Nazi War Machine" bomb in theaters. Especially since her showing up and starting to cut loose was one of the highlights of Batman v Superman.

That god damned theme music. :allears:

I hate to break it to you, but Wonder Woman is set in WWI, so no Nazis.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Yoshifan823 posted:

I hate to break it to you, but Wonder Woman is set in WWI, so no Nazis.

When did that change happen? Back when the original reports of the script were going around it was set in WWII.

EDIT: Okay, World War II is planned for the sequel if it gets a sequel.

My original point stands if we get that far, either way, Wonder Woman loving up a war zone is still going to be fun to watch.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Kurzon posted:

And here we have the advocation of executive/committee/management based movie making and arguing for the death of an actual creative voice behind a film. We are actually celebrating mediocrity and the idea of building franchise films devoid of any creative voice or identity by just following a homogenised formula set by some upper level management.

This more than anything else is why the MCU is so terrible. They've successfully sold a narrative where executive meddling is celebrated and everyone cheers while utterly average, bland, forgettable movies with workmanlike cinematography that any half decent cable TV show easily surpasses get churned out on a regular basis to critical acclaim.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

This more than anything else is why the MCU is so terrible. They've successfully sold a narrative where executive meddling is celebrated and everyone cheers while utterly average, bland, forgettable movies with workmanlike cinematography that any half decent cable TV show easily surpasses get churned out on a regular basis to critical acclaim.

Jesus Christ man, is it cold all the way up there on your mile high horse?

It's okay to dislike things without resorting to intimating that they're objectively terrible. Even in CD.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
How dare you intimate that your opinion is objective.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Honestly, liking a movie like Batman v Superman out of spite makes as much sense as anything else

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

precision posted:

It's okay to dislike things without resorting to intimating that they're objectively terrible. Even in CD.

What are you even saying here? That it's wrong to voice the idea that movies you dislike are terrible and explaining why you find them bad or why you hate the process of how they are made is conceited?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The biggest problem with adopting this idea that all Marvel films are identical and sap creative control from the directors is that it makes the presumption that Kevin Fiege is a monotonous drone incapable of creative input; that instead of cooperation the system is engaging in oppression. This is an absurd concept with no basis in reality; for every "Edgar Wright alienated from Ant Man!" story we have several similar instances of names dropping from Justice League, Wonder Woman, and Flash.

The Abominable Devil Kebin Feege is as much a slave driver and oppressor of creative control as George Lucas was for the original Star Wars trilogy. It's cooperation to match an aesthetic.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 19, 2016

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

computer parts posted:

Paramount seems to be doing just fine with known critic bomb Transformers.

Those films make a lot money outside the US. The same cannot be said for the DCEU.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

computer parts posted:

There seems to be plenty of quips in Justice League, don't worry.

Lack of quips is not the problem. Bad filmmaking in a pretty package is the problem.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Marketing New Brain posted:

Each subsequent movie after the second has done worse than the first movie if you adjust for inflation.

Which no one does.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Whoa Ayer did Harsh Times? That movie is so loving good!

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Pirate Jet posted:

You are hilarious if you think Deadpools succes was due to the character being a "meme".

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Judakel posted:

Lack of quips is not the problem. Bad filmmaking in a pretty package is the problem.
Define 'bad filmmaking'.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The best thing to come out of the smear campaign against WB/DC is that it's forced David Ayer to reveal his primary inspiration is Emiliano Zapata, and that like Snyder he considers filmmaking to be a fully political act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Wade Wilson posted:

When did that change happen? Back when the original reports of the script were going around it was set in WWII.

EDIT: Okay, World War II is planned for the sequel if it gets a sequel.

My original point stands if we get that far, either way, Wonder Woman loving up a war zone is still going to be fun to watch.
Where are you getting the sequel info from? Marketing has been saying that WWI is what drove her to abandon humanity, I'd be surprised if the sequel is her showing back up in WWII just to abandon humanity again.

• Locked thread