Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Now that's a hack message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
reposting for new page :siren:

:siren: holy poo poo don't re-install classic shell they got hacked :siren:
http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6434
:frogsiren: :frogsiren:

https://twitter.com/CultOfRazer/status/760668803097296897

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: that's pretty brilliant if they waited for the Anniversary Update to do that hack, knowing that MS would completely uninstall the thing and most savvy users would immediately go to reinstall it.
Yeah.

And I was writing a post kinda defending MS removing classic shell* when I saw the news! I spent 20 minutes fixing my computer because I stupidly clicked on the 3rd party theme I was using previously, just before remembering that themes get compatibility broken every big update for windows 10. So shell stuff with broken compatibility is a problem either way.

*obviously in retrospect it would have been better if they'd just disabled it

Ghostlight posted:

Now that's a hack message.
as someone who was a basic computer janitor back in the last days of Chernobyl/CIH, I kinda get some nostalgia

helps that it's much easier to fix a MBR today than it was back then

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't seen a hack message like that in so so long. Aww. :D

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
:toot: Update mostly went smoothly for me, except that the first start gave me this helpful error message:

That broke explorer (which I couldn't get to run from taskman), and also the start menu. Thankfully once I could right-click I could get into the taskmanager, get to powershell and reboot it. Now everything's fine -- my taskbar's even on the side where it belongs. Didn't even change my telemetry settings or anything.

Thanks Windows!

Except before the update, Windows Store kinda died. It just refuses to load, and tells me the page couldn't be loaded. I kinda expected that to be fixed by the update, but it seems its still broken. I suppose my calculator or whatever will just have to remain unupdated.

Not sure how I feel about the start menu showing all apps like that now, but that's a minor quibble. I do rather wish my taskbar icons would stop flickering every few minutes though. It looks kinda like it's trying to update them, but god knows what that's about.

Also that hack's hilarious.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Is there a recommended free antivirus for win 10 or, barring that, a recommended, low-impact paid AV?

Also holy poo poo @ that hack. I'm not at all savvy with classicshell or anything (just installed win10 today) but I noticed the tweet mentioned they 'also compromised audacity'? Like, the audio program? What the heck, I was just about to install that :(

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Morter posted:

Is there a recommended free antivirus for win 10 or, barring that, a recommended, low-impact paid AV?

Also holy poo poo @ that hack. I'm not at all savvy with classicshell or anything (just installed win10 today) but I noticed the tweet mentioned they 'also compromised audacity'? Like, the audio program? What the heck, I was just about to install that :(

windows defender is all you'll need as long as you have a solid adblocker (ublock origin) and arent randomly downloading poo poo from russia

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Windows 10: RIP Vince

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Klyith posted:

:siren:

:siren: holy poo poo don't re-install classic shell they got hacked :siren:
http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6434
:frogsiren: :frogsiren:

:siren: :siren: :siren:

(unless you're using a previously saved known-good installer file)

Oh drat. I got lucky and just barely missed the hacked version.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: that's pretty brilliant if they waited for the Anniversary Update to do that hack, knowing that MS would completely uninstall the thing and most savvy users would immediately go to reinstall it.

lol it wasn't a planned thing, or so they claim
https://twitter.com/CultOfRazer/status/760679570550956032
hell of a coincidence for that to happen. Did the insider builds remove classic shell?

Captain Novolin posted:

windows defender is all you'll need as long as you have a solid adblocker (ublock origin) and arent randomly downloading poo poo from russia a commonly used open-source hosting service?

Defender is helpful, but zero-days gonna zero-day. Anyone who got hosed by this was by definition running defender.

As much as this hack was a destructive black-hat type action, they do have a point that even "known-good" programs you download aren't always trustworthy. I've been thinking about stuff I use that updates itself automatically, but often still asks for admin access while doing so. If someone compromised those, I'd get hosed by it no question. Mozilla & valve probably secure their distro servers really well, but does ds4tool or hexchat?

This is where I see the Microsoft perspective that if everyone just used the windows store, we'd all be safer. (then I vomit in my mouth a bit :barf:)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I'm assuming the hacked executables weren't signed, since the attack was against FossHub, not the developers.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Installed the anniversary update.

I like the side-bar functionality of the new start menu, hate the "here's everything you've ever installed" aspect.

Can I get rid of the "app menu" and keep the side-bar + my selective tiles?

EDIT: Jesus post-its are big now. What the hell.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 3, 2016

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just updated. Only problem I had is that it wouldn't accept my PIN to sign in until I went in and removed it, then added it again.

edit: this new UAC prompt is ugly af.

less than three fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 3, 2016

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Klyith posted:

hell of a coincidence for that to happen. Did the insider builds remove classic shell?

Defender is helpful, but zero-days gonna zero-day. Anyone who got hosed by this was by definition running defender.

As much as this hack was a destructive black-hat type action, they do have a point that even "known-good" programs you download aren't always trustworthy. I've been thinking about stuff I use that updates itself automatically, but often still asks for admin access while doing so. If someone compromised those, I'd get hosed by it no question. Mozilla & valve probably secure their distro servers really well, but does ds4tool or hexchat?

This is where I see the Microsoft perspective that if everyone just used the windows store, we'd all be safer. (then I vomit in my mouth a bit :barf:)

Yeah, no poo poo. I'm really glad (and a little lucky) that my copy of Audacity was already updated since Chocolatey pulls the installer directly from FossHub and presumably would have dicked up my system.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Klyith posted:

Yeah the insider build removed it and I complained about it in the feedback app. A later update gave a message about it being incompatible with the new version (in other words they wanted to show off the changes they made to the start menu).

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Oh son of a bitch, I just realized i downloaded irfanview from fosshob earlier. What does this mean. What should I do? :ohdear:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Morter posted:

Oh son of a bitch, I just realized i downloaded irfanview from fosshob earlier. What does this mean. What should I do? :ohdear:

if you believe their twitter, they only hit classic shell & audacity. and if it actually installed ifranview you are supposedly ok: "Our infected installer pops up a command window and then doesn't do anything more."

but if you don't trust them:
1) have a recovery USB stick ready
2) bitlocker encrypted drives are not recoverable by simple repair so if you have that don't reboot the PC until you have backups or decrypt the drive or soemthing

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Now thats a proper virus

Non of this stealing your passwords or botnet stuff, just gently caress up poo poo and leave a message

Nostalgic as gently caress

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Klyith posted:

if you believe their twitter, they only hit classic shell & audacity. and if it actually installed ifranview you are supposedly ok: "Our infected installer pops up a command window and then doesn't do anything more."

but if you don't trust them:
1) have a recovery USB stick ready
2) bitlocker encrypted drives are not recoverable by simple repair so if you have that don't reboot the PC until you have backups or decrypt the drive or soemthing

Yeah I'm a little less worried because the forum also states that clean programs also have proper digital signatures, which mine had. Still, that's hosed up.

(Also, I don't have bitlocker. I only just jumped on this win10 train hours ago. Any simple list of software for smooth sailing would be appreciated :shobon:)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Wow. Upgraded my Classic Shell the other day from the site version, so I avoided any issues when I did update tonight. But drat, if my computer got hosed tonight after I did the Anniversary Update, I'd probably be out on my deck howling at the moon and swearing at trees and poo poo.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just updated - it bricked my laptop.

Went to bed when the blue screen said "your computer will restart multiple times" and it was at like 50% completed, just woke up and it's an endless black screen with a circle animation at the bottom.

Tried a hard restart - just ends up back at the black screen with the circle.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

less than three posted:

edit: this new UAC prompt is ugly af.

Jesus.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
lmao if you use classic shell on windows 10, just lol

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Segmentation Fault posted:

lmao if you use default anything windows 10, just lol

ftfy

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

lmao if you use windows 10, just lol

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

lmao windows 10, just lol

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I don't get the hate for Windows 10. Disable the telemetry, privacy concerns gone. Don't like UWP? Don't use it. Don't like touchscreen poo poo? Don't go into tablet mode.

It is objectively a better performing Windows 7/8 at that point (and includes some pretty neat features like multi desktop support, DX12 and Bash support).
http://lifehacker.com/all-the-coolest-features-of-windows-10s-anniversary-upd-1784698775

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Morter posted:

Get Ad Muncher. Filters all traffic across programs, which is really convenient for blocking potential viruses that phone home etc.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Well, it's more widespread than that, it was actually a FossHub hack, and at least the Audacity and Classic Shell installers were affected.

Classic Shell's own website and locally hosted installer were not affected.

But yeah, as others have said, this is some nostalgic poo poo.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
So did this do anything other than make you reinstall Windows?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

So did this do anything other than make you reinstall Windows?

It doesn't even do that. It just nukes your MBR, which is an easy enough fix if you have install media. As far as I understand it if you're using GPT (which you should) this can't touch you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Make sure you run Disk Cleanup after the update. Cleaned up 27 gigs on my system.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

dpbjinc posted:

Education editions just went live. Download here if you're impatient. (You'll need your product key.)

Worked for me. Thanks bud!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Buttcoin purse posted:

The only reason I'm against it is :effort: The cost is non-zero, whereas the benefit to me appears to be zero - I'm not using IPv6 now and nobody has said to me "the reason you can't do that thing you really want to do is because you don't have IPv6 enabled."

I'd have guessed that direct peer-to-peer things like Skype would benefit from IPv6, but then if I recall correctly one of the best things when Skype came out was how good it was at getting around NAT, proxies, etc., so I guess it doesn't actually matter for Skype.

Is your concern just that I'm part of the problem, like if I started using IPv6 then the "how many people use IPv6" stats would increase and the powers-that-be would start to switch off IPv4? Or are there cool things you actually do yourself which can only be done with IPv6?

I understand NAT doesn't do anything to protect me from my PC connecting to the botnet command and control servers or sending all my keystrokes to someone after I run the "hot hot girl on girl action.ppt.exe" email attachment or go to a bad website with an unpatched browser.

Are you telling me it doesn't prevent people outside of my network from attempting to connect to things inside of my network and stop me receiving ping of death type things (except if I happen to have recently established an outgoing connection with the same IP, port, etc.)? I don't know how many of Windows' vulnerabilities these days are the type that you can exploit over the network, but I wouldn't like to assume it's zero forever.

Okay, I guess technically maybe my home router's firewall is advanced enough to allow me to configure it to only allow outbound TCP connections, and only allow UDP datagrams to come in to systems it has already seen a corresponding outgoing message for, but isn't that what NAT is doing for me?

Uh, what exactly is the cost to you supposed to be? Your ISP is who sets it up and "pays" for it, and even if you have a very old modem or router that can't handle IPv6 you'll inevitably get a new one at some point that does handle IPv6. And yes, nobody's locking major stuff to IPv6 now, but that's only because 10%-13% tops of internet users currently have it enabled at all. As it stands though, IPv6 connectivity is very helpful to have in many modern online games, for torrenting, for all sorts of things.

NAT doesn't really do anything to protect you anymore. All it's really good for is security-through-obscurity at this point in time, and the massive IPv6 address space provides that same "protection" on IPv6. As a reminder, ISPs out there are being assigned address spaces that are a trillion times larger than the entire IPv4 address space, and then handing out address spaces to their customers that are as large as the entire IPv4 address space, or which are the IPv4 address space squared. These are huge spaces, and even knowing your ISP's assigned prefix to your connection doesn't really help that much.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Everything you do online gives up your IP, so arguing the need to brute force the address space to get valid IPs isn't really true.
NAT blocks unsolicited packets just fine, but then so does the windows firewall so the lack of NAT isn't going to do anything either way.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Khablam posted:

Everything you do online gives up your IP, so arguing the need to brute force the address space to get valid IPs isn't really true.
NAT blocks unsolicited packets just fine, but then so does the windows firewall so the lack of NAT isn't going to do anything either way.

What NAT was "protecting" was other devices on your network that don't actively initiate internet connections most of the time. The vast IPv6 space also "protects" those same devices the same way, when they're even IPv6 enabled. (Here I'm talking about things like say network-connected printers or whatever).

Routers and modem/router combos from ISPs have been providing pretty decent firewalls against random attacks for about a decade or more now, so NAT wasn't really doing anything there either - and those same devices, when they support IPv6, almost always use the same firewall functionality for the IPv6 side.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Huh, new oddity I noticed but when I set a print area in Excel 2007 cells below the print area get all stretched out and text repeats. If you move the window around or minimize and maximize it the errors vanish. Text doesn't actually repeat in those cells it just appears there visually. The data in the cells don't change.

edit:

Before

After

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 3, 2016

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I don't get the hate for Windows 10. Disable the telemetry, privacy concerns gone.

lol nope

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
When I woke up my computer this morning, I got about two dozen of these popups:

I also got a couple of them when I opened the disk cleanup utility. As I mentioned yesterday, I've been getting this popup on boot ever since I originally updated to Windows 10, but this has finally passed the "major annoyance" threshold. Anything I can try other than resetting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

hooah posted:

When I woke up my computer this morning, I got about two dozen of these popups:

I also got a couple of them when I opened the disk cleanup utility. As I mentioned yesterday, I've been getting this popup on boot ever since I originally updated to Windows 10, but this has finally passed the "major annoyance" threshold. Anything I can try other than resetting?

You could try to figure out what's calling the G drive/plug in a usb stick and set it to G drive with disk management and see what happens next time you reboot.