Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I don't get the hate for Windows 10. Disable the telemetry, privacy concerns gone. Don't like UWP? Don't use it. Don't like touchscreen poo poo? Don't go into tablet mode.

It is objectively a better performing Windows 7/8 at that point (and includes some pretty neat features like multi desktop support, DX12 and Bash support).
http://lifehacker.com/all-the-coolest-features-of-windows-10s-anniversary-upd-1784698775
Telemetry isn't a privacy concern. It's not used to collect personal information.

If you realize that then you have no problem leaving it on.

If you think Microsoft is lying and telemetry is an issue then they might as well also be lying about the button to disable it actually doing anything.

People are way too hysterical over this as opposed to appreciating that Microsoft is being upfront about what information they collect. All the hysteria is doing is telling the rest of the industry that they should just keep it all a secret because users are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

havenwaters posted:

You could try to figure out what's calling the G drive/plug in a usb stick and set it to G drive with disk management and see what happens next time you reboot.

I tried setting a random USB stick to G, but it wasn't an available letter.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

hooah posted:

That's odd. Maybe a partition is hidden but also given the G drive letter. I had a similar but slightly more catastrophic thing happen when I did a bios update. C drive became D drive. System partition became C drive or something. Windows bluescreened on boot because windows was missing.

I was lucky though since it still somehow was able to boot into recovery so I could get to a command prompt and run diskpart to fix it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Inverness posted:

Telemetry isn't a privacy concern. It's not used to collect personal information.

If you realize that then you have no problem leaving it on.

If you think Microsoft is lying and telemetry is an issue then they might as well also be lying about the button to disable it actually doing anything.

People are way too hysterical over this as opposed to appreciating that Microsoft is being upfront about what information they collect. All the hysteria is doing is telling the rest of the industry that they should just keep it all a secret because users are dumb.

The French disagree.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

hooah posted:

Do you have a media card reader or something? Those reserve drive letters but don't actually show up until you cram something in them.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Just found something called FLEXnet Connect Software Manager in my startup tab.
Seems to be connected with installshield.
I havent really installed anything lately that would have put it there.
I wonder if it has been there but hidden and the update just made it visible.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

OgNar posted:

Just found something called FLEXnet Connect Software Manager in my startup tab.
Seems to be connected with installshield.
I havent really installed anything lately that would have put it there.
I wonder if it has been there but hidden and the update just made it visible.

That's probably InstallShield's software update service, although mine is just named "Software Updates".

Ironically, PSI, which is owned by Flexera, will detect the updater itself as outdated, because they use an obsolete version of MSXML.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zebez posted:

3rd reboot: black screen, it used my TV as main screen, wich was turned off.
4th reboot: was stuck on 91% for a few minutes.
21 minutes to login screen.
+1-2 minutes until desktop was loaded.

It had disabled my Win 7 dual boot. Had to reenable.
It reset all my nvidia settings.
It added edge and store to taskbar.

What exactly happened? Did anyone else experience this?

I'm dual booting via Grub and surprisingly the the 7->10 upgrade didn't mess it up. Although I'm not planning on installing AE right now, it'd be good to know.

Say hello to your UWP overlords! I don't really care about the tablet mode but on desktop all this stuff just looks horrible.

Skarsnik posted:

Now thats a proper virus

Non of this stealing your passwords or botnet stuff, just gently caress up poo poo and leave a message

Nostalgic as gently caress
Really brings back the good old days. I got hosed over by CIH back in the day and it was a good lesson I tell you, made me the man I am today! :corsair:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Just updated - it bricked my laptop.

Went to bed when the blue screen said "your computer will restart multiple times" and it was at like 50% completed, just woke up and it's an endless black screen with a circle animation at the bottom.

Tried a hard restart - just ends up back at the black screen with the circle.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Can always pop in your windows 10 media and see if a repair fixes things.

hooah posted:

Probably this:

Arsten posted:

Do you have a media card reader or something? Those reserve drive letters but don't actually show up until you cram something in them.

That behavior is modified by the "Hide Empty Drives" setting in explorer's view options.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
One last rando question:

I have 2 monitors: My main is 144hz and my secondary is 60hz.

Ever since jumping onto win10, there's weird screen tearing whenever I move windows around in the secondary monitor. I mean obviously, I'm noticing a difference between the two monitors but the kind of graphical stuttering I'm seeing isn't stuff I'd never gotten even when the refresh rate was 60hz.

The only thing I saw related to this was a recommendation to get the latest graphics drivers, which I'm sure I do.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Why is the publisher not Microsoft Corporation?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

MrMoo posted:

Why is the publisher not Microsoft Corporation?

I suspect they right-clicked and ran notepad as administrator :haw:

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

What exactly happened? Did anyone else experience this?

I'm dual booting via Grub and surprisingly the the 7->10 upgrade didn't mess it up. Although I'm not planning on installing AE right now, it'd be good to know.

All it did was untick the checkbox for "Time to display list of operating systems" in system startup. I'm using the normal windows bootloader so I don't know if anything happens to Grub.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Windows 10 still activates fine with a win7/8 key btw on a clean install.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Don Lapre posted:

Windows 10 still activates fine with a win7/8 key btw on a clean install.

I've seen a couple of people say this. I take it there's been no official word from MS on why? Does anyone know if an upgrade still works? Using install media obviously.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Ugh, I just downloaded audacity yesterday. Is the malware something that'd show on Defender/Malwarebytes?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ugh, I just downloaded audacity yesterday. Is the malware something that'd show on Defender/Malwarebytes?

Not yet. Make a recovery USB (you should already have made one) and reboot. If you're using GPT/EFI (you probably are if your computer is relatively new and you didn't upgrade from 7) the malware can't touch you. If you're using MBR you can run the install media and recover the MBR that way.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

chippy posted:

I've seen a couple of people say this. I take it there's been no official word from MS on why? Does anyone know if an upgrade still works? Using install media obviously.

They made such a huge fuss over the deadline that I imagine they didn't want to officially extend it so they're being coy and pretending it's only for people who need assistive technologies (accessibility features for the handicapped, etc). They're probably not going to cut off free upgrades anytime soon, because they have no incentive to do so.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

plushpuffin posted:

They made such a huge fuss over the deadline that I imagine they didn't want to officially extend it so they're being coy and pretending it's only for people who need assistive technologies (accessibility features for the handicapped, etc). They're probably not going to cut off free upgrades anytime soon, because they have no incentive to do so.

That doesn't sound like Microsoft. Microsoft is fully transparent, and doesn't do anything without an announced plan - and certainly wouldn't leave anyone hanging without information!

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

WattsvilleBlues posted:

In the Windows 7 days, you'd have to download three thousand cumulative updates. Remember those days?

Yeah. It was today.

Building a new Win 7 Enterprise golden image for a VDI environment.

Still updating it :eng99:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm having issues with the update on my Surface Pro 3, through Windows Update (although now it's not even showing up through Windows Update), the upgrade assistant, and the media creation tool. I get an error, 0x80070002 - 0x20007, "the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during INSTALL_DRIVERS operation" and the only thing that I can find pertaining to it is that it might be coming up because of dual booting (I installed Ubuntu long ago to dual boot, blew it away, but I suspect there's probably still things laying around). Any ideas other than a fresh install? I wouldn't mind doing one later on but this is bugging me.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Morter posted:

One last rando question:

I have 2 monitors: My main is 144hz and my secondary is 60hz.

Ever since jumping onto win10, there's weird screen tearing whenever I move windows around in the secondary monitor. I mean obviously, I'm noticing a difference between the two monitors but the kind of graphical stuttering I'm seeing isn't stuff I'd never gotten even when the refresh rate was 60hz.

The only thing I saw related to this was a recommendation to get the latest graphics drivers, which I'm sure I do.

looking around, this seems to be a pretty common problem with no good solutions. it comes from DWM, the compositor that draws & layers all the stuff on the screen, rendering to a single large surface for all monitors. It's drawing the frames synced to the 144hz monitor, so the 60hz monitor is getting them at the wrong time. sucks that microsoft has not accounted for this, there are definitely ways to overcome this issue.

things you could try:
1. if the monitor has the option, run the 144hz one at 120hz instead. Since that's exactly 2x, the frames will be in sync and the 60hz screen will just show every second frame.
2. run the 144hz monitor at 60hz, which kinda sucks but is adequate for windows desktop. games can switch to 144hz if you're running them fullscreen (but if playing windowed or borderless windowed, you'd have to switch back to 144hz manually)

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
So I have a thumb drive formated as a Paragon Rescue Kit that I also have been using as a regular flash drive since it acts normally if inserted after the computer has finished booting. At least it did until the AE update. Now it shows up as RAW on both my tower and laptop, but still works as a rescue disk.

I'm going to just copy all the stuff from the drive onto my mother's un-updated laptop and then format the drive, but anyone have any ideas why Windows suddenly can't read from a bootable flash drive?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
These are supposedly the details for clean and infected installations of classic shell, so you can check what you got installed:

Clean: ClassicShellSetup_4_3_0.exe
MD5: e10881b65c27c6e09e5a33cd8bcd99c6
SHA1: a6b06d07fe3b1a7204b1b62c67fbf3c602385364
File size: 7220496 bytes

Infected: ClassicShellSetup_4_3_0.exe
MD5: c67dff7c65792e6ea24aa748f34b9232
SHA1: 438b6fa7d5a2c7ca49837f403bcbb73c14d46a3e
File size: 7148732 bytes

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
This is the first Win10 install that didn't end the process by dumping me into a broken desktop. That definitely counts as an improvement, but the afternoon is young.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Looks like Audacity and MKVToolNix (also hosted on FossHub) have been taken off Chocolatey. Classic Shell is still up but pulls the installer from MediaFire.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Rusty! posted:

Yeah. It was today.

Building a new Win 7 Enterprise golden image for a VDI environment.

Still updating it :eng99:
They put out an SP2. That would probably have saved a lot of individual patches.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Edge simply wont allow me to make folders on the Favorites bar. Goddamn annoying.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
As there seem to be more Classic Shell users ITT than in the Infosec one, could someone give me a basic use case for Classic Shell? It seems that someone savvy enough to know they would like such a thing would also be savvy enough to not actually waste time looking through the start menu. Hitting the Windows key then entering the name of the program/doc you want is pretty solid these days. Is there something handy in the changes to the Explorer shell?

The site's feature list and screenshots leave me with the impression that the primary user base is people who grew up with Windows XP/2000 and somehow decided it was the golden era of computing that should never have evolved in the decades since.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cugel the Clever posted:

As there seem to be more Classic Shell users ITT than in the Infosec one, could someone give me a basic use case for Classic Shell? It seems that someone savvy enough to know they would like such a thing would also be savvy enough to not actually waste time looking through the start menu. Hitting the Windows key then entering the name of the program/doc you want is pretty solid these days. Is there something handy in the changes to the Explorer shell?

The site's feature list and screenshots leave me with the impression that the primary user base is people who grew up with Windows XP/2000 and somehow decided it was the golden era of computing that should never have evolved in the decades since.

It was way more important in Windows 8 because that start menu took over the whole screen, which was very annoying. Now there's a bunch of people who are used to using it even though they're on 10, and really they don't have a reason to change so long as it doesn't blast you with malware.

Like seriously the Windows 8 start screen bullshit was just plain terrible.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The free upgrade is still working as of this morning. No idea wtf MS is doing not saying so.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 3, 2016

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost
The justifications I've seen for running Classic Shell are:

• it looks nicer
  • search behavior is faster, more consistent,/predictable, and smarter
  • it's more customizable re: size, style, and pinning of shortcuts
  • graphical glitches in the default start menu
  • default start menu sometimes wouldn't open

Some of these may have been addressed in the past year. Some are probably still valid.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Classic shell search is always slow as hell for me

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Edge no longer slows to a loving crawl when you open too many tabs; I'm up to 20 and it's still fine. It was so half-baked when it was released, so it's great to see that they've actually made substantial improvements over the past year.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can anyone explain why Windows 10 search doesn't use fuzzy matching? It's so weird to have to feed Windows a super specific query for it to return anything useful.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

Can anyone explain why Windows 10 search doesn't use fuzzy matching? It's so weird to have to feed Windows a super specific query for it to return anything useful.

I can't even get it to find a drat file in my Downloads folder. I have no idea why MS cannot get this right. Its been broken since Windows 8

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

redeyes posted:

I can't even get it to find a drat file in my Downloads folder. I have no idea why MS cannot get this right. Its been broken since Windows 8

The tech is still there, Classic Shell exposes the Windows 7 Start search functionality. But the current search is an abomination.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Take how lovely Windows 10's search function is and then extrapolate that out to the rest of the operating system. Feels good to know this is the new flagship OS we're supposed to run from here on out.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Eh, the problem is more centered around what retarded project Microsoft is doing elsewhere at the time. Bing looking a little light on users? Shoehorn it into the search function. Xbox could use a boost? Well guess what just showed up instead of your classic Games folder. Surface not making it happen on it's own? Well we'll just commit an entire OS release cycle trying to force people to embrace touch screen oriented controls on a desktop PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Arsten posted:

It added back all of the SSDs as "portable drives" in the Explorer pane. Removing them the same way I did in the last version of 10 made it so that the navigation pane always expands to the selected folder and ignores the check mark to stop doing that in Folder options. :(

It also seems to have made a second 500MB partition on my C drive that is identical to the first one? All of the files/etc are the same, with new dates and such. :confused: