Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There was some report of an attempted TOGA that I saw, which was obviously not successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
AV Herald reports they attempted to go around, but touched down with the gear still up. Interestingly, ATC reminded them to lower the gear when issuing the landing clearance. The CBC reports the pilot announced a gear issue and planned emergency landing, but there's no mention of this being discussed with ATC. It's still early though, it'll be interesting to see what actually happened.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alereon posted:

AV Herald reports they attempted to go around, but touched down with the gear still up. Interestingly, ATC reminded them to lower the gear when issuing the landing clearance. The CBC reports the pilot announced a gear issue and planned emergency landing, but there's no mention of this being discussed with ATC. It's still early though, it'll be interesting to see what actually happened.

Preview of CVR transcript:
CAM: Too low gear.
CAM: One hundred
CAM: Fifty
FO: Uhhh
CAM: sound of impact

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's amazing to me that air flight has gotten so safe that a plane can look like that minutes after crashing yet there weren't even any injuries let alone fatalities.

Contrast that with BA 28M just 30 years ago when 40% of the passengers died from an engine fire.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bull3964 posted:

It's amazing to me that air flight has gotten so safe that a plane can look like that minutes after crashing yet there weren't even any injuries let alone fatalities.

Contrast that with BA 28M just 30 years ago when 40% of the passengers died from an engine fire.

It is pretty darn good, isn't it?

In other disaster-speculation news: search called off after only two years, 100 million dollars

In my neck of the woods the media was running a story that Canada's senior retired air crash investigator was saying that there was evidence on a recovered flaperon that showed MH370 ditched, or attempted to ditch into the ocean. He also claimed this explained the general lack of a derbies field.

Assuming that's true, it's good news, I suppose, since it means 1) the airliner would be mostly intact, and the flight data recorders would be intact, and 2) searchers can look for an entire airplane, with is a fairly distinctive object.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Supposedly there is a fatality now - ironically a firefighter.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Singapore apparently has been real lovely with mh370 stuff. Trying to bury it all and ignore it happened. Telling Australia to look in the wrong places early on and withholding other information for the search.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Nebakenezzer posted:

Assuming that's true, it's good news, I suppose, since it means 1) the airliner would be mostly intact, and the flight data recorders would be intact, and 2) searchers can look for an entire airplane, with is a fairly distinctive object.
It seems like if they were able to ditch they'd be able to deploy the ELT and get rescued. And I sure hope for the passengers' sake they died on impact and not floating around in lifeboats suffering starvation and dehydration :(

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

It is pretty darn good, isn't it?

In other disaster-speculation news: search called off after only two years, 100 million dollars

In my neck of the woods the media was running a story that Canada's senior retired air crash investigator was saying that there was evidence on a recovered flaperon that showed MH370 ditched, or attempted to ditch into the ocean. He also claimed this explained the general lack of a derbies field.

If they had control they should've been screaming mayday on the HF radio all the way down and calling on the sat phone. The FADEC had enough power and an antenna to call a satellite, remember?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

drunkill posted:

Singapore apparently has been real lovely with mh370 stuff. Trying to bury it all and ignore it happened. Telling Australia to look in the wrong places early on and withholding other information for the search.
SOURCES

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

hobbesmaster posted:

If they had control they should've been screaming mayday on the HF radio all the way down and calling on the sat phone. The FADEC had enough power and an antenna to call a satellite, remember?

Yeah, I thought of this. If you assume 1) Canadian Dude was right and 2) this was an accident, the only explanation why this didn't happen would be "effects of hypoxia". This is admittedly a smudge against the whole theory, but "pilot mistakes because their brain wasn't oxygenated" can cover a hell of a lot of stuff.

Alereon posted:

It seems like if they were able to ditch they'd be able to deploy the ELT and get rescued. And I sure hope for the passengers' sake they died on impact and not floating around in lifeboats suffering starvation and dehydration :(

Another good objection

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, and they would've triggered the ELT manually before going down.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

drunkill posted:

Do you mean Malaysia?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Trump hates canted pylons.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

mlmp08 posted:

Trump hates canted pylons.
At least we can agree on that.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Or maybe he's got something against strakes. :iiam:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Man, the 777 had an excellent safety record and then all of a sudden....

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

Man, the 777 had an excellent safety record and then all of a sudden....

Sell them to what amounts to 3rd world air lines and that's what happens.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

McDeth posted:

Speaking of Aeronautical Seaplanes, somebody posted a crapload of pics of the interior of the Ekranoplan

http://rusue.com/interiors-of-the-abandoned-lun-ekranoplan/

For something so clearly Russian and Cold War, the interior is in amazing condition

Enjoying the good old Russian blue cockpit paint job, and the fact they put a tail gunner on a boat. Sort of.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Coffeehitler posted:

Sell them to what amounts to 3rd world air lines and that's what happens.

BA, Singapore Airlines, and Emirates, among others :confused:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I'm holding my tongue about this one, and Emirates in general...

Crash74
May 11, 2009

inkjet_lakes posted:

Enjoying the good old Russian blue cockpit paint job, and the fact they put a tail gunner on a boat. Sort of.

That thing is in amazing shape considering that it's been abandoned for 30 years, some rich russian oligarch needs to spend some of that oil / russian mafia money and restore that sucker, cruise missiles and all.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
How about a video from the 777 evacuation:

https://twitter.com/rehanquereshi/status/760883989490040833

People being people, trying to grab their luggage while children scream in fear and the cabin fills with smoke.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's kind of weird that the airlines don't mention hand luggage in the security safety briefing (e: so hard to distinguish between those terms these days). Every elevator has a sticker on it that says don't use in case of fire, no overhead compartment has.

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 3, 2016

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
It's took, from just where that video began and not counting when it stopped sliding, a minute twenty to get off that plane.

leave your loving bag you assholes.

In arabic:
:pilot: - Did you put the gear down?
:reject: - I thought YOU put the gear down?!?
:pilot: - nooo I thought YOU put the gear down!!!

[scraping noises heard on CVR]
[sound of engines throttling up]
:pilot: - TOGO OFUK TOGO YALLA YALLA TOGO

alternatively: "push it up... push it way up."

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Duke Chin posted:

It's took, from just where that video began and not counting when it stopped sliding, a minute twenty to get off that plane.

leave your loving bag you assholes.
Put cameras in the exit rows and criminally charge everyone who impedes the evacuation.

There was a crash (I wanna say in the 70s, I have vague recollections of an accident report written on a typewriter) where the evacuation was delayed because of a fistfight in the emergency exit row, I think some people didn't make it out alive.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

On the other hand it's going to suck badly for anyone missing their passport or medicine.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Alereon posted:

Put cameras in the exit rows and criminally charge everyone who impedes the evacuation.

Why not some stickers that say "in case of evacuation, leave hand luggage behind"?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

People won't pay attention to one little sticker because they heard "keep your luggage with you at all times" over the PA 1000 times between entering and leaving the airport.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 3, 2016

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Crash74 posted:

That thing is in amazing shape considering that it's been abandoned for 30 years, some rich russian oligarch needs to spend some of that oil / russian mafia money and restore that sucker, cruise missiles and all.

According to wikipedia it retired in the late 90s and has been sitting in a naval base since then. So only like 20 years in a relatively safe place. But yeah that'd make a sick yacht!

There was another one that was cancelled at 90% completion that was supposed to be a hospital!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Perhaps, but my point is that raging over people behaving like this is kind of pointless when the airlines do nothing to prevent it.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Duke Chin posted:

alternatively: "push it up... push it way up."

الرجال أنا قلق:pilot:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Reason number whatever I always, always have my ID/passport/whatever other paperwork is critical physically on my body.

My paperback book and change of clothes can burn. But it'd suck to divert to a not so awesome place and realize my passport is in my bag.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Ola posted:

Perhaps, but my point is that raging over people behaving like this is kind of pointless when the airlines do nothing to prevent it.
Don't they warn you repeatedly in the safety briefing and on the instruction cards how to evacuate, including not trying to carry bags with you? I totally get that people get stupid in an evacuation, but to me there's a huge difference between grabbing your bag by reflex versus standing in the aisle rooting through the overhead bins, blocking people from escaping, while the aircraft fills with smoke.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ola posted:

It's kind of weird that the airlines don't mention hand luggage in the security safety briefing (e: so hard to distinguish between those terms these days). Every elevator has a sticker on it that says don't use in case of fire, no overhead compartment has.

They don't? It's always printed on the card that they tell you to read, and I'm sure I've heard at least one airline (BA perhaps?) mention not to take hand luggage down the emergency slide (along with removing high heels).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Since I almost never hve more than a small backpack at my feet, I can imagine grabbing it if I didn't feel I was instantly gonna die or need to swim/climb out of a sideways plane. But gently caress overhead bins forever. That poo poo is dead to me.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

mlmp08 posted:

Reason number whatever I always, always have my ID/passport/whatever other paperwork is critical physically on my body.

My paperback book and change of clothes can burn. But it'd suck to divert to a not so awesome place and realize my passport is in my bag.

Same. I always keep that poo poo on lock down.

PCjr sidecar posted:

just entered that into google. My work computer is now on a watchlist thanks a lot.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'd sort of miss my CPAP after the plane burned, but I'd rather deal with some lovely sleep until I could get a new one than burning to death in the airplane.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Die peacefully in your sleep or die a fiery death in a tin tube of acrid smoke and panicked desperation?

~You Make The Call~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

Guys, I'm concerned?