Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Podima posted:

Said point is reproduced here for reference.

Could tentatively be a light bus? Mostly paranoia on my part but I want to register that for later reference.

I'd actually never heard of governor before, so I had to look it up. I can see a debate as to whether it's anti-town or an intelligent player's response to democracy not working, but either way using two shots within four days, as a claimed policy even, is horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Podima posted:

I don't like the leap of logic that you're making whereby a doublevoter would only use it to throw down a lynch vote. I don't think that's a truthful assessment of your understanding of the role, although I'm currently having trouble figuring out why scum would claim ignorance on how governors work.

Absurd Revolver posted:

Okay, I'm a 2-shot Governor.

When I expend both shots, I die in place of the person who was to be lynched.

"when I expend both shots" doesn't mean it has to be the hammer. :shrug:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I guess I'd just like better arguments than "POSSIBLE 3P!" for why we should lunch AR. I agree, we don't need to prioritize it. But I'd like to see people actually bring an argument to the table about him, unless I'm missing it in the sea of people just jumping on him lazily.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SirSamVimes posted:

"when I expend both shots" doesn't mean it has to be the hammer. :shrug:

I still think it's a stretch, but my vote is elsewhere for right now.

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'd actually never heard of governor before, so I had to look it up. I can see a debate as to whether it's anti-town or an intelligent player's response to democracy not working, but either way using two shots within four days, as a claimed policy even, is horrible.

I appreciate the response/clarification of mindset, and agree with your stated point of view.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

I guess I'd just like better arguments than "POSSIBLE 3P!" for why we should lunch AR. I agree, we don't need to prioritize it. But I'd like to see people actually bring an argument to the table about him, unless I'm missing it in the sea of people just jumping on him lazily.

Not to be rude, but are you purposely ignoring my vote justification? For Day 1, I have no issue lynching a claimed role that is sketchy/potentially a fakeclaim at worst, and neutral town utility at best (especially in the hands of a player that won't be engaged with the game). That's far better than most D1s work out.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also a thought I had while wandering up to my room (the bartender brought me my receipt after a beer and two whiskey sours, what in the heck) - we have a new player here (Atomic Soda) that hasn't posted much at all yet. Don't be shy, please - tell us what you think! As a new player, you're almost 100% immune to being lynched on Day 1 so you should feel free to post whatever thoughts you have!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Podima posted:

Not to be rude, but are you purposely ignoring my vote justification? For Day 1, I have no issue lynching a claimed role that is sketchy/potentially a fakeclaim at worst, and neutral town utility at best (especially in the hands of a player that won't be engaged with the game). That's far better than most D1s work out.

I think maybe we / just I am talking past you, because I'm pretty tired. But fair, it's day 1.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Podima posted:

Also a thought I had while wandering up to my room (the bartender brought me my receipt after a beer and two whiskey sours, what in the heck) - we have a new player here (Atomic Soda) that hasn't posted much at all yet. Don't be shy, please - tell us what you think! As a new player, you're almost 100% immune to being lynched on Day 1 so you should feel free to post whatever thoughts you have!

warning: despicable australian

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This honestly feels like a really scummy push on AR.

It's possible that he could be lying about his claim, but Ecco does seem to like using a Governor as a role and I don't think I've seen it be scum in her games. You can say it's a negative utility all you want, but it's also highly likely to be a town role so this kind of justification doesn't sit right with me:

Podima posted:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
it feels like a BS announcement to me cuz it came out of no where and then ar backpedaled by going "oh no I might not be able to stay so I wanted the biggest bang for my buck :)"

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gamerofthegame posted:

it feels like a BS announcement to me cuz it came out of no where and then ar backpedaled by going "oh no I might not be able to stay so I wanted the biggest bang for my buck :)"

It didn't really come out of nowhere though. He said something like 'Oh I'll be gone by like D4' and then like 3 or 4 people went 'What? Sounds like a 3P!!!' and started voting him before he claimed.

I mean it was probably a bit premature and awkward, but I not sure if that's actually scummy.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

TMMadman posted:

It didn't really come out of nowhere though. He said something like 'Oh I'll be gone by like D4' and then like 3 or 4 people went 'What? Sounds like a 3P!!!' and started voting him before he claimed.

I mean it was probably a bit premature and awkward, but I not sure if that's actually scummy.

that also came out of no where tho

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gamerofthegame posted:

that also came out of no where tho

Yeah, but that's more dumb than scummy. While it could be 3P, it's also just as likely to be town.

And the people saying that he's scum are kind of dumb because what kind of scum would come out and say 'oh, I'll probably be gone by D4?'

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Not liking the casing and justification going on for AR as the lynch candidate.
I agree it's suss as gently caress to announce something like governor D1 with 0 pressure on him, but we need to also look at it from another angle in that we can potentially test his claim.

I disagree that he should be the current lynch candidate for announcing it.

:siren: AR 2 questions :siren:
1.) Can you self pardon?
2.) Does you ability specify lynches or executions that you can pardon?

We might be looking at a situation where we have a scum ability that can execute a player when they reach a certain number of votes, which is why I feel we should hold off voting AR for the moment (As there is still plenty of time left in the day)

Current suspicions would be falling onto Podima, for flavour hunting.
That's about it on a catch-up review. :shrug:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Podima posted:

With that as context, check out this post combo by Ninth Layer:

Being concerned about your vote when it's nowhere near lynch is a scumtell. If you're town saying that someone else is definitively not town based on their claim, and they have 3 votes on them with 11 to lynch, why would you withhold your vote as a town player?

Because I don't like joining out-of-nowhere bandwagons.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Podima posted:

Ok, end of thread. I've settled on ##vote AR as follows:

- At first I thought I had a drat good gotcha on SSV but their response (and actually thinking through motivations) has left me doubtful.
- The other issues I've pointed out pale before a d1 unprompted 2-shot governor claim, since a governor is inherently an anti-town role, as it denies us our only reliable tool against scum - the lynch, and the information it provides. It's either a fake claim (does Ecco give fake claims to scum? Can anyone chime in on that?) or it's a poorly timed and badly motivated claim of a role that will ultimately be more likely to hurt than help town.

Governor is an inherently anti-town role? What Mafia game have you been playing?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It is a power that is easy to use in an anti-town way, but also a power that I don't think would ever be put in the hands of scum because it basically makes lylo one day earlier.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Governor is an incredibly strong role to give to scum, it's not a role that scum would ever want to claim if they didn't have to.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Meinberg posted:

I can't make any promises that I'll be more active, but I'll try my darnedest. In my experience, Ecco is fairly good about providing fake claims, but usually only on demand.

While 2-shot governor is something that I could see Ecco giving out, the description of the role as AR describes it sounds very much like a 3p role.

So either Ecco handicapped the town by giving us a bad role, AR is 3p, or AR is lying. Given the circumstances, the third possibility would suggest that AR is indeed scum.

Since it's likely that AR is anti-town

##unvote
##vote AR

Why would a 2-shot governor be fine but a 2-shot governor that dies after #2 be a bridge too far?

A lot of half baked logic and assumptions in this post.

##unvote
##vote Meinberg

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Podima posted:

I will never, ever, subscribe to a plan that calls for a potential chain lynch Day 2. It's just not worth it. I appreciate the sentiment, though.

Again, in my personal opinion, governor is not a worthwhile role to prioritize keeping around given it's anti-town utility nature.

Do you have anything on him besides "he's a governor" because so far I haven't seen anything.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

It was this post, re: TMM/Kashuno. Classic scumbo.

Absurd Revolver posted:

We're hardly being a thorn in scum's side with what looks like the most town on town argument I've seen erupt on day loving one.

I'd suspect the people staying out of it or only commentating on the periphery of either being smart town or smart scum, but maybe you should look there.

Also, I am knot an exception to said survey, so if you wood like to look me over as well, enjoy my puns.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The Ninth Layer posted:

Governor is an inherently anti-town role? What Mafia game have you been playing?

I can see it. If we're going with the logic that no-lynch days are bad, a bad governor shot nullifies both the lynch itself and whatever information that can be gleaned from the day. It's essentially a time-wasting mulligan unless the governor has good reason to believe that town is lynching very poorly.

I wouldn't say it's inherently anti-town, just easily so.

So given that, using it indiscriminantly in the first few days? Are you trying to say that's a good thing?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I can see it. If we're going with the logic that no-lynch days are bad, a bad governor shot nullifies both the lynch itself and whatever information that can be gleaned from the day. It's essentially a time-wasting mulligan unless the governor has good reason to believe that town is lynching very poorly.

I wouldn't say it's inherently anti-town, just easily so.

So given that, using it indiscriminantly in the first few days? Are you trying to say that's a good thing?

No I'm saying that if AR can actually defer the lynch that makes me more inclined to think he's town.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If we're going with the logic that no-lynch days are bad, a bad governor shot nullifies both the lynch itself and whatever information that can be gleaned from the day

Also keep in mind that the time to deadline shortens with each new day.

So this could be the ~what a tweeeeest~ moment in an Ecco game.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://vine.co/v/5uHLdhlqAbj

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The Ninth Layer posted:

No I'm saying that if AR can actually defer the lynch that makes me more inclined to think he's town.

But that puts us back at:

"lol guess I got RBed,"

and, why the hell would he want to claim it? I get that it's Ecco-y, but...why? I'm voting him partly because I just don't buy it. This is my first Ecco game, but I'm quickly getting the impression that you could pick any role from mafiawiki to fakeclaim, and it would seem reasonable.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"lol guess I got RBed,"

and, why the hell would he want to claim it? I get that it's Ecco-y, but...why? I'm voting him partly because I just don't buy it. This is my first Ecco game, but I'm quickly getting the impression that you could pick any role from mafiawiki to fakeclaim, and it would seem reasonable.

I mean if he claims to be roleblocked then we hang him because he's claimed a day action? Weird argument to make.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

"lol guess I got RBed,"

So do you think he's lying or what?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean if he claims to be roleblocked then we hang him because he's claimed a day action? Weird argument to make.

This is fair.

The Ninth Layer posted:

So do you think he's lying or what?

I think he's being disingenuous. There's something super fishy about it.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
hey look at all those posts

podima, i wish i had a lot to share at the moment but unfortunately i do not. trying to get a better handle on how people are playing but joke stage does not help/i am dumb.

i have some of the same thoughts other people have about AR. why claim that role then, and how does that help his win condition?

also i know dongsbot says he posted this as a joke but i'm also not sure what kind of governor could be considered prole friendly in this game. on that note jimson seems to be heavily breadcrumbing some sort of priest, and any revolutionary worth their salt knows the church is a tool of the ruling class.

no gods no masters

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The more I think about it, the more I don't like AR claiming a power role like that D1 with 0 pressure.

##vote AR until he answers my questions.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

##unvote

##vote Absurd Revolver

If it makes a difference to Ecco :shrug:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

More liek

A nerd revolver

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gnight nerds. Saying this so people don't get mad at me for not posting for several hours.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I don't get why AR would claim and I do not like such questionable players being left alive because they become a focal point of attention for future game days.

Also if he has IRL stuff coming up and isn't replacing out he should be removed now for the good of town.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Podima posted:

I will never, ever, subscribe to a plan that calls for a potential chain lynch Day 2. It's just not worth it. I appreciate the sentiment, though.

Again, in my personal opinion, governor is not a worthwhile role to prioritize keeping around given it's anti-town utility nature.

This is correct enough.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

This is correct enough.

:yeah:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

:sad:

Podima has been in this game for like 12 hours and has more posts than most of this game

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

:sad:

Podima has been in this game for like 12 hours and has more posts than most of this game

:smuggo:

Infinitum posted:

Current suspicions would be falling onto Podima, for flavour hunting.
That's about it on a catch-up review. :shrug:

I posted a bunch of reads as I caught up with the game, and you're fixating on my two setup flavor speculation posts? This is a manufactured opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

TMMadman posted:

Yeah, but that's more dumb than scummy. While it could be 3P, it's also just as likely to be town.

And the people saying that he's scum are kind of dumb because what kind of scum would come out and say 'oh, I'll probably be gone by D4?'

What kind of town would do that, either?

Way I think of it, it's either an absurdly dumb play that AR then doubled down on or some stupid 3p/scum gambit. "Alright, I'll do something dumb then you scumhunt me, scumbros, to get cred!!"

I agree that he's garnered the focal attention of the thread, tho, at the expense of potentially anyone else. The just as easily possible flipside of this argument is scum is going ham on dumb townie/3p before someone else gets heat. As it stands, though, I think AR would be the best bet right now.

• Locked thread