Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
I've only researched the Fuse because it was supposed to be ecg and therefore I assume, superior in accuracy. As for anything else there are so many on the market now I figured I should ask the more knowledgeable folk here on the forums. I at least have something to go by with all the great suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The problem as Thermopyle said is that the technology is restricted by the optical HR sensor, the fuse is also optical, if you don't want to be sharing your data with others and using it as a social thing then it's all about the app/website and then battery life and construction. Fitbit concentrates on the social side of things and the straps tend to fall off or fall apart so you are forced to buy a new one if you are invested in the community. Garmin is all about build quality. I don't know much about other brands but the HR monitor will be no better or worse.

I am wondering if what people are looking for is a Garmin forerunner with built in HR monitor which the latest ones have, along with step counter, or the new garmin vivoactive HR which is a jack of all trades and does have activity tracking for walking/indoor running/indoor cycling/indoor walking. I'm borrowing a vivoactive with HR strap atm and comparing it with the vivosmart HR and the optical HR isn't that far out but not deadly accurate. The data field when doing walking are much more advanced though, you get three screens worth of information but unfortunately although viewing all of this on the mobile app afterwards is great, the website badly needs updating which is supposed to be coming "soon"

edit: Oh. They updated the website, or added something that was missing back in, your activity now shows elevation, pace and HR data.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 16, 2016

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I just read about the new Vivoactive HR coming out in a few days, but I was wondering if it's a good fit for me. I don't carry a cell phone, especially when out hiking. Does anyone know if it will be able to simply connect to my computer and upload GPS/HR data there, or is a phone mandatory?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It can sync via the charging dock and uploads data to both the website and the app from there.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

This seems like a nice addition to the Microsoft band, will have to try it out over the weekend:

https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2016/05/17/microsoft-band-introduces-hiking-experience-with-the-new-explore-tile/

Hopefully the battery life is as good as they claim while it's running:

quote:

Download the app update to receive the Explore Tile, and try out the new experience for yourself. The Explore Tile uses built-in GPS to keep track of your route on your bands display, and lets you drop points of interest along the way. Its perfect for tracking hikes, or even just a walk around the neighborhood. Here are some of the new features to take advantage of on your next outdoor adventure:

Explore tile for the Microsoft Band

GPS Power Saver automatically allows your band to track your hike for up to 12 hours.
After your hike, sync your band to your mobile app to see your points of elevation and a map of your route in the Microsoft Health app and web dashboard.
Stay hydrated, properly fueled, and get help dodging any inclement weather with smart alerts. Theyll remind you to hydrate and refuel, tell you what time the sun sets, and alert you of any inclement weather advisories based on atmospheric pressure.
The UV monitor you know and love is enabled while you hike. It will notify you when your UV exposure is high, so you can stay covered or apply SPF while youre out in the sun.
Exploring on your own? Leave your phone in your pocket and turn up the tunes skip tracks and adjust the volume on your phones music apps from your bands touchscreen.
If you want to stop for a rest or take in the view, no problem. The Auto Pause feature will automatically detect that youve stopped, so you can focus on your adventure.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm surprised Microsoft didn't add that while you are listening to music and running this app you can save on the worry and fuss of having paper maps while hiking and navigate using google maps instead.

Just a reminder that the GPS on your phone will eat into your battery. Your watch may be able to keep going on a 12 hour hike, but if you intend to go hiking for even 4 hours using this feature then please remember to bring along a portable phone charger or extra beer for mountain rescue.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

learnincurve posted:

I'm surprised Microsoft didn't add that while you are listening to music and running this app you can save on the worry and fuss of having paper maps while hiking and navigate using google maps instead.

Just a reminder that the GPS on your phone will eat into your battery. Your watch may be able to keep going on a 12 hour hike, but if you intend to go hiking for even 4 hours using this feature then please remember to bring along a portable phone charger or extra beer for mountain rescue.

The band itself has GPS.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It looks like this update may turn on GPS/bluetooth/4G at points, the blurb is certainly encouraging you to listen to music on your phone while exploring on your own and to use bluetooth to change tracks. I'm not ragging on the device, just saying be aware that if you intend to use your phone out of airplane mode for anything other than phone or texts while hiking then you should take a portable charger, even the cheap tiny 2000 mAH ones will give you one full charge. I've seen a lot of normally sensible people miserable and lost since the iPhone came out is all.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I'm not sure this is the place to ask, but does anyone have recs for sub-$100 fitness trackers? I'm not a huge fan of the fitbits I've owned, they've all crapped out fast and given me weird rashes. I've been looking at the Vivofit 2 but it looks like that can't do text or call notifications? Which is garbage. Anything I should look at?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm not sure a sub $100 fitness tracker with phone notification exists. The vivoactive has all that you ask with no odd rashes (I get them as well) and the original is a bargain (so far as these things can be) now the 2 has come out.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
^^^ Yeah, it seems that way. I think I might drop the extra 25 bucks and go for the Vivosmart HR, it seems to be reviewing well and has more than I need. Looks like a solid interface, too.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

I'm not sure a sub $100 fitness tracker with phone notification exists.

The Pebble 2 kickstarter is up and running, earlybird is $99 + shipping. My og pebble is a pretty decent activity and sleep tracker with the misfit app, looking forward to the addition of a hr monitor. Phone notification handling is fantastic, at least on android.

Won't deliver until September though, assuming no delays.

Manky fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 8, 2016

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Vicoactive is great. It has its quirks but is a solid watch all around. I played around with Android wear for a while as well and this blows it out of the water.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Is the Pebble Time any good? It seems to hit the sweet spot of features and price. If anyone has it, does it handle water (jumping in the pool, not just showering)?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

learnincurve posted:

Timex has that Ironman X20 thing which you can regularly find for $60-70. No idea how good it is though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Is the Pebble Time any good? It seems to hit the sweet spot of features and price. If anyone has it, does it handle water (jumping in the pool, not just showering)?

I have one (PT Steel) and it's.. serviceable. I loved it when it started but it sort of wore off on me. I guess it has some more features if you pair it with Android vs iOS which I have.

Seemed to do allright the one time I took in the pool, but some of the kickstarter watches bled water if you put them under the tap. I'd imagine by now they've solved that problem, but YMMV.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

learnincurve posted:

The Misfit Shine 2 (MSRP $99) has notifications in the sense of "it lets you know if you have a phone call or text incoming".

edit: meaning you get a vibration and a colored LED (green for call, blue for text, or maybe the reverse) but it doesn't display any text).

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

For $99 it's probably going to be the smartest wearable you can get at that price point. Calendar sync, notifications, incoming call controls, actionable SMS with voice replies on Android (iOS has it for select carriers through some technical loopholes), full display of notification contents, and quite a few 3rd party apps that vary in utility. I can't really say how good the step and sleep tracking is compared to other fitness trackers, but they seem to work fairly well. With the most recent update it'll even try to detect when you're active and give you a report about walks and runs you take. If the new HR monitor is as good as other fitness trackers it could really end up being a serious contender.

The new watches are water resistant up to 30 meters so they should be fine for swimming. Having said that, a lot of users reported that the leathers straps that came with some models would break really easily since they aren't waterproof. I don't know if the new watches will be including rubber or leather straps but if it's the latter your first order of business should be slapping on a 22mm silicone strap or similar.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jacobus Spades posted:

For $99 it's probably going to be the smartest wearable you can get at that price point.

If you can get it for that price; note that the Time is the color screen version and it's $129 right now. (Unless it's on sale somewhere). The kickstarter is for the Pebble 2 and Time 2 and has them at $99 and $169 respectively.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Yeah, I'm looking at the ones currently in store, not the Kickstarter. I think the original Time is all I need; it's still going to be infinitely better than nothing and if I end up hating it I'll just ebay it and buy seventeen Mi Bands.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I have the Time Steel, which has handled all the water I've thrown at it (including swimming). Even has the swim.com app to track you if you so desire.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. So what's the next Apple event that we might expect to see any aW2 releases? Was hoping (but not expecting) a WWDC mention but I guess I have to wait a little longer.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
lol AW is going the way of the apple headset.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh oops I forgot this isn't the AW thread :P

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

This seems like the right place to ask about fitbits. The other day my girlfriend picked up a Flex thanks to a big work discount, and now she's trying to get me in on them too. I'm not all that into fitness tracking or anything, but I do like data and competing, and fitbit seems to have the social aspect down. From what I have read, though, the build quality has gone way down hill when they introduced a shorter, more lenient warranty. I've read about people having to get three or four replacements in the first year after so many defects and malfunctions in nearly every version, and while they do have an easy replacement process, it sounds like trouble. I'm looking at a Charge HR for under $100, but I'm not sure I even want to buy into such a lovely business model. I might just play their game and treat the watches like poo poo for the first year before getting one final replacement to sell once my warranty is up. Have you guys had any personal experience with the build quality or customer support?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Build quality is shocking, unless it's the ones with the watch straps which are a big improvement. The others seem designed to fail so you lose your watch and have to buy a new one. If your other half has one then get the charge. There is no common integration between all the different companies so you will end up showing each other your apps when you want to compare your data if you go for a different brand.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I had a fitbit zip that went for years including a few trips through the washer, etc until I lost it. I replaced it with a Charge HR and it worked well as well, although it certainly showed signs of wear after 6 months.

I replaced it with Microsoft Band 2 because I wanted the additional sensors, but I've never had any issues with fitbit build quality.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I need to get a new fitness band, because I just blew through a second Razer Nabu (it was a Christmas gift, stop laughing). Looking through the last few pages, it looks like Garmin's build quality is touted. I'm looking at the Vivosmart HR, since it seems to have many of the same features I want (particularly push notifications and sleep monitoring), but I was wondering if there were anything a bit cheaper that still won't break after a few months. Most of my job is throwing boxes around, so it'd have to be able to take the occasional hit. Most of the rest of the time I'd be wearing it while running or lifting.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Inco posted:

I need to get a new fitness band, because I just blew through a second Razer Nabu (it was a Christmas gift, stop laughing). Looking through the last few pages, it looks like Garmin's build quality is touted. I'm looking at the Vivosmart HR, since it seems to have many of the same features I want (particularly push notifications and sleep monitoring), but I was wondering if there were anything a bit cheaper that still won't break after a few months. Most of my job is throwing boxes around, so it'd have to be able to take the occasional hit. Most of the rest of the time I'd be wearing it while running or lifting.

Not sure if this is allowed, but:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763280

Still for sale :)

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Unfortunately, I live in Canada. I'm going to Tuscon next week, though, so if I can get someone who will accept the package (unless I can just accept the package at the hotel? IDK how these things work), and you can get it there in that window, I'd be okay with it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Inco posted:

Unfortunately, I live in Canada. I'm going to Tuscon next week, though, so if I can get someone who will accept the package (unless I can just accept the package at the hotel? IDK how these things work), and you can get it there in that window, I'd be okay with it.

Email me at the email posted in that thread and we'll see if we can work something out.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Email me at the email posted in that thread and we'll see if we can work something out.

I also emailed you, not sniping him.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Inco posted:

As far as I can tell, the Vivosmart HR is pretty much the sweet spot of price/performance. You're looking at last gen stuff or a generally less useful watch if you go any lower.

I have one and it seems fairly resilient with regards to getting dinged up. If cosmetic scratches won't drive you insane you should be fine - I'm not entirely sure what kind of touch sensor it uses but it's not a standard capacitive touch as it responds to anything physical including clothing, so keep that in mind if you plan on using the music controls. Most of the stuff that's not just a passive info screen is locked behind a hard button press so it's usually not a problem.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Hey guys. My dad recently got heart surgery and after rehab wants to get a fitness tracker that can measure his heart rate better than his Fitbit Charge HR. I'm aware that we'll need something with a chest strap for this and that it won't be very cheap, but where do I start looking? Is Polar the brand to go to?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The Polar H7 seems to be about as close to universal as there is, and I've heard occasional good things about the Wahoo Tickr (and TickrX), too.

Good luck to your dad, and if it helps let him know at least One Guy On The Internet says "yeah that's neat and reassuring to monitor but in six months chances are fair that you won't be as "jumpy" about it, and you'll be able to read your body pretty well"

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

The Bananana posted:

What's a reasonable asking price for a new-in-box Samsung gear s2? Never opened.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'll give you $20 and take a pic of it in dog poo poo when I get it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nothing new from Samsung today?

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Just dropping by to mention that I have had an MS Band 2 since March and it's great. Does everything I need it to, and a ton of poo poo that I don't need but is neat to have.

About 2 months in I had the band split like this (not my pic):

Called MS early in the week, mailed it back the next day, and by the end of the week my shiny new replacement had arrived. A+ for customer service and ease of replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dza posted:

Just dropping by to mention that I have had an MS Band 2 since March and it's great. Does everything I need it to, and a ton of poo poo that I don't need but is neat to have.

About 2 months in I had the band split like this (not my pic):

Called MS early in the week, mailed it back the next day, and by the end of the week my shiny new replacement had arrived. A+ for customer service and ease of replacement.

Yeah, I'm on my second band 2, I really like the sensors & app but hopefully Band 3 (which presumably will come out later this year) fixes most of the remaining design issues.

I've had absolutely no problems with swapouts either.