Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah zombies can apparently punch gas tanks so hard they combust. It really drives me crazy when I'm sneaking around and I see a bunch of zombies beating on cars cause they attract more zombies who beat on the car and that is valuable equipment I can strip off the vehicle. Also the explosions can capture nearby buildings on fire, say gun stores.

If you have the more vehicles add on which adds tanks its hilarious if you get enough mechanics to rip off the m2 browning turret and bolt them onto a light frame with casters. The new vehicles give up .50 BMG like nothing, so rolling into town and popping some earplugs just shreds the hordes.

E: Is gaining xp from shooting turrets bugged? Game keeps telling me my rifles skill went to 2... multiple times, but its still stuck at 1.

E2: Oh and one of my companions has a bugged quest that I accepted, it tells me "Someone didn't write this dialogue the message ID is 78" and it gave me a "Find a book" mission that I'm not sure how to finish.

Leal fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Have you left Skill Rust on? It may be dropping back to 1 repeatedly.
BTW you can train by shooting the ground. Target not necessary.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Nah, skill rust was one of the first things I turned off cause its dumb forgetting how to drive your car after a night's rest. And weirdly enough, I got a bb rifle just to train myself... except now I can't find any pellets :argh:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Leal posted:

Nah, skill rust was one of the first things I turned off cause its dumb forgetting how to drive your car after a night's rest. And weirdly enough, I got a bb rifle just to train myself... except now I can't find any pellets :argh:

I think you can make metal shards which count as BBs.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Is/was there a bug that prevents fully repairing quarterpanels and doors on vehicles? My survivor has 10 Mechanics and every part of her survivormobile is in perfect condition, except the doors and quarterpanels, which are light green. When she tries to repair them, the game says "you repair the <part>" but doesn't award any Mechanics experience and doesn't actually mend the part in question.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Ahahah gently caress, I learned that a grappler zombie can rip you out of vehicles. God drat, that was a painful lesson.

So is there any reason why I wouldn't want to go with any armor that doesn't have a survivor prefix? I was thinking of adding kevlar to my duster but hey I can just save that kevlar to make a survivor duster that'll have just as much defense with half the encumbrance.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Is/was there a bug that prevents fully repairing quarterpanels and doors on vehicles? My survivor has 10 Mechanics and every part of her survivormobile is in perfect condition, except the doors and quarterpanels, which are light green. When she tries to repair them, the game says "you repair the <part>" but doesn't award any Mechanics experience and doesn't actually mend the part in question.

yes. thats been happening for the past few nightlies.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Leal posted:

Ahahah gently caress, I learned that a grappler zombie can rip you out of vehicles. God drat, that was a painful lesson.

So is there any reason why I wouldn't want to go with any armor that doesn't have a survivor prefix? I was thinking of adding kevlar to my duster but hey I can just save that kevlar to make a survivor duster that'll have just as much defense with half the encumbrance.

I love heavy survivor everything except boots and gloves. I do light survivor gloves, and survivor wetsuit boots for acid resistance. Right now, the survivor armor in general, and especially heavy survivor is official endgame gear because you probably won't find a full suit of power armor. You can find stuff like SWAT armor or Ornate Plate Armor but they both give similar protection for way more encumbrance.

E: Light survivor mask might also be a good idea, has same environmental resists but doesn't encumber mouth as much.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 4, 2016

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I have a character in one of the ancient stable builds that found some plate armor in a mansion and was able to stave off zombies with it. Normally it takes me a few characters to get a stable start but having found food and gotten a integrated toolset, I pretty much am good forever.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

IMO the survivor gear needs an obvious drawback like other high-tier equipment tends to have - power armour requires a UPS and janks your inventory up without a hauling frame, plate armour is encumbering and heavy with zero storage, nomad/scavenger gear is ridiculously warm and will have you stewing in your own juices in summer, etc. I get that survivor gear is meant to be the general all-purpose survival equipment, which is fine, but I think it could stand to be looked at a little bit so it isn't just the automatic choice for basically anyone who can make it.

It might be kind of interesting if survivor armour didn't have the "designed to protect you" flag so that it was really strong armour but wore down very quickly in heated combat due to being cobbled together from random poo poo - except that carrying around a soldering iron/sewing kit is trivially easy and just adds a little busywork in exchange for all of your gear being at ++ forever. The survivor storage items are probably fine as they are, though; they're primarily quality-of-life upgrades that let you carry around your ever-expanding hoard of useful survival tools without completely tanking your encumbrance.

e: I wonder if the game would benefit from the addition of a "noisy" flag for armour? "This armour is noisy/very noisy and will make your movements easier to hear/much easier to hear." Put it on stuff like plate armour, chain armour, power armour, heavy survivor armour...

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 4, 2016

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

A better solutions would be to bring other, more specialized gear up to par. Survivor gear would stay as the middle-of-the-road jack-of-all-trades, but give the players a reason to switch out rather than making survivor gear worse for the sake of balance.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

That's kind of how it works currently, except full survivor armour +some survivor storage is generally decent enough at everything that there's really no need to switch away from it ever, except maybe for radiation protection (AEP suit), fire protection (survivor firesuit), or swimming for some reason (survivor wetsuit). There's no real way to mitigate it being the no-brainer armour without giving it some sort of distinctive drawback, unless you want to nerf its physical protection or crank its encumbrance sky high, which would just result in nobody using it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wearing survivor gear makes the shrieker zombies yell POWERGAMER and MY VERISIMILITUDE until you take it off

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It sort of has a downside in that it's incompatible with certain mutations, but that really says more about how crippling those mutations are than anything else. I dunno I've never messed with mutagen much apart from one extremely tedious foray into the alpha branch. Most of the mutation trees have just incredibly annoying downsides and offer practically nothing in exchange.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
that's mostly true but i think more accurately it's that mutations offer a lot, but outside of stats it's nothing you can't get from proper equipment. and of course, gear is easier and more reliable to obtain.

stats are mostly the purview of mutations, and it's legitimately a boon to quaff some mutagen and come up with strong/quick/smart out of it, especially strong and quick.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

It sort of has a downside in that it's incompatible with certain mutations, but that really says more about how crippling those mutations are than anything else. I dunno I've never messed with mutagen much apart from one extremely tedious foray into the alpha branch. Most of the mutation trees have just incredibly annoying downsides and offer practically nothing in exchange.

Mutations would probably be more fun of you could control them a little better. Bionics work because you can see the odds ahead of time and actively work towards not loving them up. (Or just snort a pile of Adderall and cocaine.)

And the fact that some bionics are so useful they are nearly mandatory. Getting an integrated toolset changes the whole game.

Mutations offer useful stuff, but getting a tiny chance at 4 strength doesn't overcome the threat of permanently loving up your hands, or losing the ability to use a mask. Even robust genetics isn't going to save you on the long run.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

come to think of it, some more recipes to accommodate various mutations would help the situation a fair bit. having a mutated survivor face mask or something like that which you'd still be able to use if you grew a loving trunk would make me feel a lot less hesitant to just randomly quaff mutagen

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Do my survivor bros actually need to eat and drink? I don't always remember to give them said supplies and they don't seem much interested in picking them up when they're allowed to pick up items anyway, but all they do is whine about it. e; as opposed to seeming to actually suffer negatives from it.

I wasn't sold on having others with me but man when me, Jame, and Havok rolled through town earlier zombies died by the loving dozen. :black101: If/when survivors can be assigned base duties or something (aside from just "guard this place") I'm gonna start me some communities.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 4, 2016

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Mister Adequate posted:

Do my survivor bros actually need to eat and drink? I don't always remember to give them said supplies and they don't seem much interested in picking them up when they're allowed to pick up items anyway, but all they do is whine about it. e; as opposed to seeming to actually suffer negatives from it.

I wasn't sold on having others with me but man when me, Jame, and Havok rolled through town earlier zombies died by the loving dozen. :black101: If/when survivors can be assigned base duties or something (aside from just "guard this place") I'm gonna start me some communities.

Dunno whether they'll die but from what I've seen they do get speed penalties from being very hungry or thirsty so they do require spoonfeeding, and the only way to make them carry extra supplies is to force them to wear a backpack/etc and then force-trade them nonperishable food/water. Just use the debug menu to give them the DebugLifeSupport mutation so they never get hungry/thirsty/sleepy (and VeryFastHealer so they actually regenerate HP sometimes without you having to bandage them up constantly) because having to micromanage your NPCs' needs is just another pointless and annoying hassle that (probably) only a small minority of the nerds that play CDDA actually think is a good feature that should exist. Much like every other 'realism' feature that gets added. :v:

If your allies are following you, they can slightly speed up your batch crafting times of "make 20 atomic dildos" but only if you've already trained their skills by repeatedly making them watch you craft supercomputers for a week, but they don't actually seem to affect the success rate even if their skill is higher than yours (in which case you should give them $2 to train you, because it's faster and easier than grinding or reading books) but if you've got enough followers that NPCs stop spawning you might want to give them all good weapons/armor/gasmasks/etc so then the batch speedup does save some time. Which is no longer relevant anyway.

So almost everything involving NPCs other than "teach me a skill" is just a way to kill time when you run out of things to do with your invincible mutant cyborg kungfu monster. (edit to add: ...) some quests do have decent rewards; it's worth searching for and collecting/hoarding any [corporate ledger] books you find because the related quest chain leads to the fastest/easiest way to get a legit katana and/or rivtech combat armor if that's your ~thing~ and the hardest part is usually keeping the NPC alive.

"Hey buddy, go distract those zombies a minute... no don't attract everything on the block firing a 9mm at a rat."
"Here's a reinforced steel-plated leather jacket, to go with that ripped t-shirt you refuse to get rid of."
"No. scissors are not a good weapon... Use this quarterstaff because you keep losing spears."

"Damnit stop running into minefields! Okay good job surviving that, now wear this splint until your broken leg heals in two days or until the next 'realism' update that makes it take two months."

"Actually I don't give a gently caress anymore. If you die, you are dinner."

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 5, 2016

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Coolguye posted:

come to think of it, some more recipes to accommodate various mutations would help the situation a fair bit. having a mutated survivor face mask or something like that which you'd still be able to use if you grew a loving trunk would make me feel a lot less hesitant to just randomly quaff mutagen

They have that already.

http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/mask_survivorxl

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

silentsnack posted:

Just use the debug menu to give them the DebugLifeSupport mutation so they never get hungry/thirsty/sleepy (and VeryFastHealer so they actually regenerate HP sometimes without you having to bandage them up constantly)

Holy poo poo thank you. Food and drink was annoying but at least they still function, my problem was their sleeping schedules would get all hosed up and you'd have to baby sit telling them to stay awake when you go out and then telling them to sleep when tired when back at base or else they'll decide to stay awake then decide fighting a horde is a great time to go to sleep.

Hitting summer on my horde spawn (though I set the seasons to 31 days) and while yeah you don't have to worry about dragging a dresser and having 50 zombies spawn on you I seemed to have cleared out the nearby town too well and I'm lucky to have a whole 5 zombies attacking my base. Usually though I'll have 1 zombie and for whatever reason this apparently warrants a horde Z on the map.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Iirc that only handles things if you are physically very large - it does not cover mouth and facial mutations that simply forbid masks and stuff altogether.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Coolguye posted:

Iirc that only handles things if you are physically very large - it does not cover mouth and facial mutations that simply forbid masks and stuff altogether.

Which mutation specifically prevents you from wearing all masks? I just tested Mandibles (has restricts_gear: MOUTH flag) and the XL survivor mask works over it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

How the hell do you even play this, I pretty much die instantly to the first zombie I see. If I get a weapon, I die to the second one.

Also the OP was last updated 3 years ago.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

esquilax posted:

Which mutation specifically prevents you from wearing all masks? I just tested Mandibles (has restricts_gear: MOUTH flag) and the XL survivor mask works over it.

Neat! I don't think that worked in 0.C, which is the last time I really messed around with mutations, but it's good that it does now.

Gilok posted:

How the hell do you even play this, I pretty much die instantly to the first zombie I see. If I get a weapon, I die to the second one.

Get something to cut with (craft a stone knife if nothing is immediately available) and smash a window to get a large stick. Craft a cudgel.

Enjoy, you can now murder basically all dead mans ever.

Less flippantly, though, at the very beginning with no combat skills you tend to be very vulnerable to attack. There's a large variety of weapons that can work, but the easiest and safest one to obtain for most starts is doubtlessly a cudgel. Remember that zombies tend to be slower than you, so if you force them to jump over things that impede motion (like open windows, or couches, or basically anything that says "getting over this (x) is slow!") you will get a few easy hits on them without retaliation.

The game does have a tutorial as well, it is a little outdated in the experimentals but still has a lot of really good information. Definitely play that at least once, until you feel comfortable with the information it spits out.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Gilok posted:

Just run away from zombies when you have no weapons or armour or anything.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Gilok posted:

Don't fight, run. In the early game you won't win every fight and even basic zombies are a threat. The key to this game is knowing when to pick a fight, and when to run. Also as mentioned, craft basic weapons. If you start in a shelter, you can build cludgels and makeshift crowbars with the materials inside by smashing things with S.

Also traveling at night + night vision perk basically invalidates early game threat once you get the hang of it.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 9, 2016

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always start with the requisite skills to make a knife spear, and use that. Reach Weapons are awesome, and allow you to engage without getting hurt ad-infinitum.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Also try to lure zombies over terrain that slows them down. If you can lure a zombie over a bush or into a window frame you can get a few free hits on them. This can be difficult or impossible if there are too many zombies or they are faster than you in which case run the gently caress away. Off the top of my head hitting " (the double quote key as in shift+' on a US keyboard) activates sprinting which might give you a better chance of getting away.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Watch the live-action Cataclysm show and you should be fine. Summary: Use terrain, make a cudgel, and don't trust NPCs.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I can't get over making retarded squidward mutant savants with tentacles for arms and legs who have the hardest time making a stone knife let alone surviving.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

I always start with the requisite skills to make a knife spear, and use that. Reach Weapons are awesome, and allow you to engage without getting hurt ad-infinitum.

That's only Survival 1. Wouldn't even waste the point on it. Leave the shelter, <e>xamine 15-20 undershrub from the forest, gain Level 1 Survival. Grab a rock while you're out there and you're set.

For reference for newbies in thread, My Day 1, almost every character. I'm far from an expert but I feel like I've got early game down pretty easy.

First off, I almost always take Night Vision, Quick, Light Footed. But you do you. Night Vision is practically mandatory though, I literally don't know how you'd play without it.

Talk to NPC, get quest.

Exit shelter, beeline for forest.

<e>xamine underbrush until Level 1 Survival. Grab rock.

Check the basement for supplies; clothing and backpack most important.

Return to shelter, smash a window, bench, and cabinets until a pipe.

Craft knife spear, makeshift crowbar, makeshift sling, chestwrap, handwraps, turban. Skip whatever I was able to find in the basement.

If there's time before nightfall, craft digging stick, dig holes until Level 1 construction or nightfall.

At night, raid nearest town. You can pretty much kill anything basic with the spear without taking damage even with zero skill. Priority on finishing NPC quest, drinks, and medicine.

And then do whatever your heart desires. I typically find a house in a nice town with loot, board it up, and use it as a home base.

e: vv oh hey even better and easier. Did not know that. Guess replace the examine underbrush with that!

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 10, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You can train survival to 1 by just crafting and disassembling a makeshift sling 5 or so times. Just 'e'xamine a window and pull down the sheet.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Huh I thought it was survival 3 fabrication 3

:suicide:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The only skill worth taking at chargen seems to me to be mechanics, since it's the only thing you're really dependent on a book for...

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

You can level mechanics by prying open doors with a makeshift crowbar. Prying doors has zero chance of breaking them, unlike windows, so you can just sit there and <a>ctivate -> door -> <c>lose -> door until Mechanics 2. :v:

Unless you're playing some gimmick like archer-only, or for roleplay, I can't think of a single reason to spend points on a skill.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I tend to take a bunch of skills at start, honestly I think it's worth more than stats. Sure, stat's raise your power cap... but that just makes the easier part of the game easier! Skills help immediately.

I've found Dodge is a great skill to start with a few points in no matter what I'm doing, if I plan on doing any crafting starting with a few points in those is great for saving time, and if I plan on focusing on combat I'll usually jump start my career there as well.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Strength and Intelligence are absolutely worth investing in, because high Strength makes you more damaging with throwing, melee, and bows and lets you carry more (and I think escape grabs more easily), and high Intelligence makes learning skills faster (especially when reading books) and generally speeds the skill grind up a fair bit, plus I think it might reduce your chances of failing and/or wasting materials when crafting.

A very strong character with the traits that increase carry weight and storage volume can fairly easily haul around an insane quantity of poo poo, which is very useful in the early game and a major quality of life improvement in the late game.

If you're going to invest in a skill at character creation, I'd go with dodging. It produces an immediate impact on your survivability in a bad situation and it's a bitch to quickly train up from 0 unless you find a dance book.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I've always liked that the optimal survivor for the end of the world is a genius with the body of Adonis, who has no idea how to use the internet of bake a potato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

ro5s posted:

I've always liked that the optimal survivor for the end of the world is a genius with the body of Adonis, who has no idea how to use the internet of bake a potato.

I mean, an incredibly strong and clever person lacking any familiarity with or reliance upon modern amenities would probably do reasonably well in a collapse-of-civilization scenario, yes :v: