Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

I think he's just missing the word show. The sports highlight show is dying. Highlights are alive and well.

poo poo, I watch highlights on Twitter constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Niwrad posted:

George Michael's Sports Machine was good and cool.

gently caress YEAH SPORTS MACHINE!
Sports Machine pre-dated NFL Primetime when it came to NFL weekend highlights but George always added a bit of the silly with the show, especially wrasslin and rodeo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECgqC6s3xd0

George Michael once gave a shout out to my local affiliate too :3:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Robnoxious posted:

gently caress YEAH SPORTS MACHINE!
Sports Machine pre-dated NFL Primetime when it came to NFL weekend highlights but George always added a bit of the silly with the show, especially wrasslin and rodeo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECgqC6s3xd0

George Michael once gave a shout out to my local affiliate too :3:

George Michael graduated from my high school so he automatically is/was awesome.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

joshtothemaxx posted:

The best recap show is Match of the Day because it's nothing but highlights with maybe some analysis after showing 5-10 minutes of highlights for each of the 7-10 games.

Edit: and highlights are shown with their original commentary, so it really captures the excitement of the moment.

this is all true, but Match Of The Day 2 on Sunday's is starting to veer down hot taek territory. Another thing to bear in mind is there is a complete black out on highlights until 8pm on a Saturday (when Sky rerun an entire game from earlier in the day) and in most cases not until 10pm when Match Of the Day starts and Sky do their Match Choice thing

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Badfinger posted:

I don't think so. Modern standards are fewer highlights with more bloviating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ83nnODDjs
WE NEED MORE POINTS
Almost 7 straight minutes of highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8rXYY6Ol58
Look how much there's just football on the screen. For the majority of the show it's just 2 people highlighting the plays and throwing in some light analysis (Stu comes in for one highlight package). Basically every game gets 2+ minutes of highlights.

You're missing a lot of technological advances in 20 years, but you're also losing a lot of the straightforwardness of just showing the drat sports.

My issue is less the format and more Chris Berman being trash

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

This conversation just reminds me that ESPN pulled the footage of the Very Windy Bears Game off of YouTube and now it's gone forever. What a tragedy.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the legend of Nate Vasher

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Dude on Sportscenter talking about Giselle at the opening ceremony just said (without any sense that it was a joke): "If there were a gold medal for walking, I know who would get it." :hurr:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I get that if you don't have the Olympics, then you don't have much at all to show at this time of year, but ESPN is going to do a loving 28 hour marathon of fantasy football across all their platforms :stonk:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

I get that if you don't have the Olympics, then you don't have much at all to show at this time of year, but ESPN is going to do a loving 28 hour marathon of fantasy football across all their platforms :stonk:
With each passing year I hate Fantasy Football more and more. It makes me think I'm becoming a curmudgeon, but then I see poo poo like this and it reminds me why I'm becoming that way.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

To be fair it's not like this will be any different from about 90% of ESPN's programming anyway.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't even enjoy fantasy football either. It just makes me angry. The whole thing is just too over-saturated.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I love fantasy football. Hell I'm in the FSWA. But 28 hours is too goddamned much

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There are very few things I'd like to watch less but I'm betting it does pretty solid numbers for them

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

There are very few things I'd like to watch less but I'm betting it does pretty solid numbers for them

Sadly yes, and I have no doubt draftkings is going to buy another $4 billion in ad time or whatever the gently caress

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

Sadly yes, and I have no doubt draftkings is going to buy another $4 billion in ad time or whatever the gently caress
Especially since they can legally operate in NY now. :negative:

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

This is way too much but on the other hand my friends+family league is the only real reason I follow the NFL anymore

MourningView posted:

Doesn't it say in the article that their other fantasy centric programming doesn't do very well? People only care about their own league, I find it hard to believe they're going to tune into a celebrity draft.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jackie D posted:

Doesn't it say in the article that their other fantasy centric programming doesn't do very well? People only care about their own league, I find it hard to believe they're going to tune into a celebrity draft.

This is pretty low risk though. There's literally nothing else to show right now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jackie D posted:

This is way too much but on the other hand my friends+family league is the only real reason I follow the NFL anymore

I think this is a pretty significant part of the appeal for a lot of people. It's definitely one of the biggest things keeping me invested

DJExile posted:

This is pretty low risk though. There's literally nothing else to show right now.

Yeah I would assume it's pretty cheap to do too.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
At least Daily Fantasy is dead now, or at least has a greatly diminished advertising budget.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

General Dog posted:

At least Daily Fantasy is dead now, or at least has a greatly diminished advertising budget.

Football season hasn't started yet.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

General Dog posted:

I'll always remember being half drunk in the muni lot and seeing blimps, airplanes flying banners advertising that poo poo.

Was bizarre.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
John Saunders dead at 61.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/17263104/john-saunders-long-familiar-air-face-espn-nearly-30-years-died-age-61

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

what the gently caress

stephen a is crying live on air

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Serious, non-trolling question:

With Ed Bradley, Stuart Scott and now John Saunders gone, who's the standard for black broadcast journalism? Please don't say Don Lemon.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

C. Everett Koop posted:

With Ed Bradley, Stuart Scott and now John Saunders gone, who's the standard for black broadcast journalism? Please don't say Don Lemon.

Bryant Gumbel?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo :(

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

davecrazy posted:

Bryant Gumbel?

You're probably right, I don't have HBO so I don't see his work, hence why I didn't think of him.

The other ones that come to mind are Greg Gumbel, James Brown and Curt Menefee, but it's hard to call hosting an NFL pregame show "journalism".

I thought of Tavis Smiley but I'm not familiar with his work either. I refuse to list Stephen A.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah it's likely Gumbel.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C. Everett Koop posted:

You're probably right, I don't have HBO so I don't see his work, hence why I didn't think of him.

Yeah I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago but Real Sports is something I don't tend to seek out, but I never feel like I've wasted time watching it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

poo poo, that's terrible news :(

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/763393050899087360

She also announced Stuart Scott's death live on air.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wow, this came out of the blue.

Did they say what happened?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I always feared Craig James would kill again :smith:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Wow, this came out of the blue.

Did they say what happened?

Whenever an old but not that old black man dies I assume heart attack.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently he was doing events over the weekend like everything was fine, so I would also assume heart attack

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Lester Holt

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I remember John Saunders from when I was first really starting to get into CFB.

ABC's coverage pre-ESPN take over was superb, and he was consistently great as a studio host.

This loving sucks

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Vertical Lime posted:

what the gently caress

stephen a is crying live on air

We're all crying that it wasn't Stephen A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

soggybagel posted:

We're all crying that it wasn't Stephen A.

Be careful you don't want to make an enemy out of him