Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Theantero posted:

Yeah, let's not default to FOOF at every opportunity. Our supply of it is limited, and as has been noted, we have no reason to suspect the monster is supernaturally tough. Just axe and smash it until it dies. Shoot it with the arbalest. Going to copy my earlier plan of action here:

Tentative BATTLE PLAN:
It's weak to Blunt and Pierce, so send Tommy to investigate. Konnie has the best eyes of the team, so send him as well (he is liable to see it slithering in the flotsam before anyone else. Khami should go too, so that he can hopefully cain its mouth and keep it from biting anyone.

The rest stay behind, with Kvelar manning the arbalest (he probably has the best aim of anyone present).

FOOF the wrong voters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mr. Nemo posted:

Okay, new plan.

Bury FOOF under the sand in L12. No thrower. Party argues in K14, retreats into forest at first sign of the snake. Arbalest fires at L12 when the snake emerges, hopefully hitting both the snake and activating the bottle. If not possible prioritize hitting the bottle, but I imagine even shooting at a nearby hex should send a shockwave that would activate it.

Ask the party HOW they would want to position themselves, so we can compare.

I like this idea because there's less danger of being eaten by a giant snake and I love things that go FOOF in the night (and the day, and indoor and outdoor too).

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Grognan posted:

It might need to be real if it is psychic. I recommend picking the least physically able to disrupt operations and tell them they aren't getting paid. Let the others in on it so they know to restrain them when they lose their poo poo. A real argument will draw it out

A: Arbalest Q16 Kevlar mans it, he has some experience with a crossbow. Khami Spots.

C: Tell Abigal she ain't getting paid and have the brothers restrain her until the snake gets here

This

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Mr. Nemo posted:

FOOF the wrong voters

Well, just don't come crying to me when we are facing down the Adamantite-Shelled Lurkbeast and are unexpectedly short of FOOF-tipped Murderbolts because SOMEONE elected to waste them against some overgrown worm that can just as easily be stabbed to death :colbert:

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Grognan posted:

It might need to be real if it is psychic. I recommend picking the least physically able to disrupt operations and tell them they aren't getting paid. Let the others in on it so they know to restrain them when they lose their poo poo. A real argument will draw it out

A: Arbalest Q16 Kevlar mans it, he has some experience with a crossbow. Khami Spots.

C: Tell Abigal she ain't getting paid and have the brothers restrain her until the snake gets here

Q16 has no line of sight to the beach I think, just in case.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nemo posted:

That is correct. In that position, its field of engagement would be limited to most of the grassy-plains part of the battlemap. You could not get a shot off towards the water. Neither could you hit the wreck, from that angle. [Editors note: See later post.]

Basically: draw a line from where you put ##Nåzom Stegëth## to what you want it to hit; if there is more than one Heavy Forest Hex in the way the shot is blocked because line of sight is broken.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 4, 2016

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

That is correct. In that position, its field of engagement would be limited to most of the grassy-plains part of the battlemap. You could not get a shot off towards the water. Neither could you hit the wreck, from that angle.

Basically: draw a line from where you put ##Nåzom Stegëth## to what you want it to hit; if there is more than one Heavy Forest Hex in the way the shot is blocked because line of sight is broken.

Do we know the market price for FOOF?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Mr. Nemo posted:

Too high to waste.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nemo posted:

As an accountant for most of your life, you never really came into contact with it before. You would classify it as military-grade and extremely volatile and probably not allow it past customs, if you were still working for the Ministry of Trade. You traded a frankly bewilderingly strange monster corpse for your crate of six, from a gnomish alchemist. Beyond the Imperial Army, others alchemists and perhaps monster hunters such as yourself, you don't really see a legal market for it.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Bah, I guess I can't parse 2d hex coordinates 'cause it looks like it has a fine line of fire.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...

I'm confused by the y-axis coordinates - there's a bunch of repeats and they seem out of order? It looks like it goes something like ABCDEFGHIJKKMLOMQNSOUPVQ?

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Viking_Helmet posted:

I'm confused by the y-axis coordinates - there's a bunch of repeats and they seem out of order? It looks like it goes something like ABCDEFGHIJKKMLOMQNSOUPVQ?

A1, B2, etc
Everything A and below is odd columns and everything B down are even columns

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Hex Confusion

Grognan posted:

Bah, I guess I can't parse 2d hex coordinates 'cause it looks like it has a fine line of fire.

Viking_Helmet posted:

My apologies, some Kobolds got into the map-making supplies and scrambled the letters. A new map will be supplied without additional cost.
We will use the hex-based battlemap for this mission, but if it proves too confusing or if people simply don't like it we can go back to a grid-based system, no problem.

Revised battle-map.

Mr. Nemo posted:

Turns out there is no Q 16, however Q 15 and Q 17 both have line of sight.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 4, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Betcha the snake is hiding out in the forest to the west. Fucker's going to sneak out and eat someone, probably the medic.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I heard there was a tie between FOOF and not-FOOF, ties should always be broken in favor of FOOF.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
FOOF YEAH

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

Mr. Nemo posted:

Okay, new plan.

Bury FOOF under the sand in L12. No thrower. Party argues in K14, retreats into forest at first sign of the snake. Arbalest fires at L12 when the snake emerges, hopefully hitting both the snake and activating the bottle. If not possible prioritize hitting the bottle, but I imagine even shooting at a nearby hex should send a shockwave that would activate it.

Ask the party HOW they would want to position themselves, so we can compare.

This

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Planning It Out

Mr. Nemo posted:

Ask the party HOW they would want to position themselves, so we can compare.[/b]

Party Thoughts:
Kvelar: "Hrm. Better hope it can nae get away in time, but should we be successful it is sure to perish."
Abigail: "Are we going for a swim? Why can't we just find this snake and kill it like we are supposed to do!"
Tommy: "If the impact doesn't kill it, we should be prepared to rush at it from the sides. But if everything is on fire that might make things rough."
Konnie: "Yeah.. ehr, are you sure about this?"
Johakim: "Are you out of your mind? There are people on that boat! There will be people on the beach, us! This is madness!"
Khami: *looks mortified at the prospect of your plan*

Kvelar would like to be positioned somewhere in between the Arbalest and the monster, so that he could best protect your most valuable asset. He assumes you will be the one controlling it.
Abigail is to agitated to care about positioning. She will most likely charge the monster the moment it shows itself.
Tommy would like to be positioned closer to the forest on the right, so that he may flank the monster when it appears or flee should the situation prove to dire.
Konnie doesn't want to be anywhere near a FOOF landmine. He would prefer to have his back to the wreck or to the forest.
Khami doesn't want to be anywhere near a FOOF landmine. He suggests acting as spotter for whoever mounts the Arbalest.
Johakim doesn't want to be anywhere near a FOOF landmine, and doesn't want anyone else to be there either. He urges you to abandon the plan.
##Nåzom Stegëth## has no preferences, but needs to be positioned so that it has a clear line of sight to your intended target. O-17, for instance.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I don't like the idea of blowing up possibly alive people, just putting it out there.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Nettle Soup posted:

I don't like the idea of blowing up possibly alive people, just putting it out there.

They probably deserve it. Nasty, boatdwelling good for nothing snobs all. Finish the job, sink the wreck. Kill everyone.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Do not blow up wreck and the people in it. Do not blow up the lootsnake. Do not blow up us. Do not waste the FOOF.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
abigail is going to die if we do the foof landmine thing

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
put the ballista on q17, stack johakim, kvelar, tommy in front of it, put abigail, konnie, khami on the other side of the beach like on d13

lure the snake, shoot it with the ballista as its coming out of the water a couple times, maybe hit it in its weak spot if we're lucky, then have the other side rally down and finish the fight

kill the snake, save the ppl on the boat, go home a big dumb hero

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Nettle Soup posted:

I checked the hex range man!

Cna we tell our crew we have GM approval that the plan won't kill people?

Okay, okay, I'm listening to other options.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
No FOOF

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nemo posted:

I checked the hex range man!

Cna we tell our crew we have GM approval that the plan won't kill people?

Okay, okay, I'm listening to other options.

See these posts for a quick refresher on what you know a bottle of Gnome Synthesized Dioxygen Diflouride to be capable off.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'm going to vote no FOOF, as a land mine or otherwise. I think Abigail is going to get caught in it because she is a crazy person (duck).

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah ok, no FOOF for now, this isn't the best place for it with regards to range.

Set up the bow at 16N, Khamie and us operate it, everyone else at K15, wait for it to come for them/us and we shoot it a few times before the fog of war takes over and we just wing it.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Outrail posted:

Yeah ok, no FOOF for now, this isn't the best place for it with regards to range.

Set up the bow at 16N, Khamie and us operate it, everyone else at K15, wait for it to come for them/us and we shoot it a few times before the fog of war takes over and we just wing it.

This

But K15 is probably too far away from the water for the argument plan to work. If it doesn't i guess we can try tomorrow but closer to it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Plan B is strapping a bottle of FOOF to Abigail and telling her what the snake said about duck people .

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Outrail posted:

Plan B is strapping a bottle of FOOF to Abigail and telling her what the snake said about duck people .
Woah now, we want some fried duck meat left, you know?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Nyaa posted:

Woah now, we want some fried duck meat left, you know?

Bottle of foof on a 10 ft pole.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The Censored Shipwreck

After at least ten minutes or arguing back and forth with a few wild accusations thrown in for good measure, you decide to not unbox your FOOF and to instead go with the original plan. Stage an argument, shoot the beast when it appears. If that doesn't kill it, come at it from the sides and hope for the best. You make sure to stow your horses away downstream, tying them up properly so they wont run away again. Stupid horses. Your wagons and misc equipment is likewise safely tucked away, leaving you with nothing but yourselves, and perhaps the fate of the wrecked passengers to worry about.

Unloading ##Nåzom Stegeth## together with Khami and setting it up takes nearly all of your attention, for the wise warrior seems especially clumsy today. Is he doing it on purpose? Is he silently mocking you? You try to take your mind of it, focus on the mission, but you re constantly interrupted by the bickering of your allies at the beach. Grr! They are ruining your plan! “Stop Arguing!” you yell. “You aren't supposed to start arguing until we are ready!”
“I'll start arguing when I please, you swollen fish-egg!” Abigail yells back at you and from behind her Tommy gives you a helpless look.

---

Elsewhere

The baleful eyes in front of him know only hate and rage. His vision is clouded by blood, but he has a Purpose. He punches it, again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again. Until the skin flays from his hand, bones show on his knuckles, his gauntlet long since ruined by repeated impact and strain.

The scales of the creature give way, soft flesh is ripped and torn, but then it thrashes once more and he is thrown off. He hits the ground, hard, but not before crashing through another tree. Three more ribs broken, but they already were. It lunges, and he attempts to dodge. Agony runs up and down his body, but he puts it away for later. Nearly three thousand pounds (over a metric tonne) of serpent come crashing down, obliterating all in its path.

He scrambles to avoid it, but the tail-end catches him in the stomach. His breastplate blunts the the blow not at all, crumples awkwardly into his kidneys. He stows the injury, keeps on trucking. Another impromptu flight into the underbush. He shouts at the monster, grabs a nearby branch and attempts to stab or club it. Charges. Though he should be long past dead, he will never give up. He still has work to do.

---

River by the Wreck

Having dragged the machine to a spot that you think is likely to cover all angles of attack you give a thumbs up to your crew and mount ##Nåzom Stegëth## properly for the first time in your life. It menaces with spikes of iron, and you can't help but feel kinship with its dour complexion. It is your resentment given form, as if your own will to hurt and destroy had manifested into an Arbalest of merciless murder.

It bristles with ingenious mechanisms. There are gauges, displays and levers and cranks. Cogwheels and numbers and dials. You have no idea what any of them do. The symbols upon them are too arcane, too weird for you.
You have an intuitive knowledge of what things to press, what things to pull and where to push.

A complicated iron cross-hair presents you with a limited view of the battlefield. There is an ornate iron-inlaid oaken lever somewhat resembling a lady frog holding a cupcake on high. If you pull it, the arbalest will fire.
One of the many mechanical gauges displays two numbers, separated by a slash. [004/006] You intuit the first one to be the number of “Javelins” remaining in the ammunition compartment. You don't know what the second number means.

You hear screaming coming from the group of people gathered near the beach. You aim the arbalest roughly in their direction, ready for anything. Maybe you should shoot one of them? If only to try your siege bow out. That would certainly stop the noise.

A fight breaks out. A minor skirmish. Abigail pushes Tommy into the dirt, he looks as surprised as anyone. Konnie tries to tackle her, pushes her down as well. Johakim stares in disbelief. Abigail screams, punches Konnie in the nose. “You swollen, mouse-eaten breadloaf! You ruinous crooked weed! You gangly loathsome and abhorrent swine-herding babermonger!!!” Her white-feathered face is red from fury. You yell at Khami, who is standing not two feet away to keep an eye out. He doesn't reply. So rude.

---

Elsewhere

Kick it, bite it. Scream and punch. Pounding with what remains of his armour, but getting thrown aside once more. Scramble to catch up. Yell, provoke it. Tear the wretched thing apart. Steer it away, whatever happens. He catches its eyes, glowing red as fire.

Something new in them. No. No, not now. No time left. He jumps, runs. The titanic creature slithers away, he rushes after. Catches it by the tail, he holds on, stabbing it again and again with spikes of bone. His own. It bleeds, but so does he. No time left. He screams.

---

The Wrecking Crew
Ten Minutes Later

More noise. More irritants and bother to pull you from your world of iron. You thought it your worthless companions at first, throwing insult upon insult in some vague attempt to impress you.
But even stoic Khami perks up from his reverie. He must have heard it too. There it is. Lower at first but then louder and louder.

no! No! No! No!! NO NO NO!!!

Then the top of the ship explodes, again.

---

Lunging across the roof, a serpent easily ten meters across. It is the worst. From its awful, beady eyes to its offensive colourscheme. From the tip of its disgusting tail to the spongy mass of its repulsive gullet. Loathsome scales, tepid muscle.
You hate this snake. You hate it. And it hates you.
It hates everything.

A black-clad form sails across the sky, having been flung bodily by the snake as it shoved its way through the wreck without even so much as standing in line to enter. The form lands with a sickening crunch in the prickly evergreens by Kvelars side and groans.
The Boa Conflictor stops momentarily in its assault, sniffs the air with its revolting tongue. You fight the urge to vomit. How can the Gods allow such a thing to function? Why must it pollute The Empire with its presence? How deigns the sun shed light upon such horrid perversion?

It turns its attention from the figure it has so thoroughly mangled and looks directly at Abigail, stuck as she is being restrained by both Konnie and Tommy and goes right for her. She won't even have time to scream. She does so anyway. “You insolent, deformed pox! Ill faced zed! You ungentle greasy tallow! I spit at you, you sorry excuse for a worm! You mongrel double-vilain! You thimble of rot! Die!!!” Somehow, against all reason, she breaks free from her restraints and charges at it. The rest of ITEC look on bewildered, furious or pale with fright.

1: But you only see fire. The levers and cranks of ##Nåzom Stegeth## are as putty in your hands. You wield its power, and now you must kill.

A: Kill Abigail
She screams, oh how she screams. End it. Lest your ears forever be tainted by her shrill cry.

B: Kill Tommy
The brute could not keep the least of you in check, he does not deserve to tread the ground you stand upon.

C: Kill Konnie
A coward! Destroy him before his daggers find a new home, in your back!

D: Kill Kvelar
Your cousin. He would never see it coming.

E: Kill the Mysterious Figure
A mercy? No such thing, he is an unknown and will just complicate your plans.

F: Kill Johakim
He could stop your rampage! He could ruin everything! Pah! Physician, can thou heal thyself?!

G: Kill Khami
He stands directly at your side! He could strike at any moment! A conspiracy, he aims to usurp you!

H: Destroy what is left of the wreck.
Who are they, to traverse the river as if they own it? Show the half corpses their place, send the ship to a watery tomb.

I: Kill the Snake
You hate it. KILL IT. MAKE IT BLEED!!!!

J: Pray.
To Whom? For What?

---

[ITEC Battle Summary]
Overall moral is ???
You are unhurt. You are angry. Your armour is in need of minor repairs.
Kvelar: Is unhurt. He is rested. His armour has been pierced by shrapnel and requires light maintenance. Fights with Axe and Shield, but has a hand-crossbow as well.
Abigail: Is RAGE INCARNATE. Her armour requires light maintenance. Fights.
Tommy: Has an injured pride. He is rested. He fights with a great club.
Konnie: Is unhurt. He is rested. His armour has been pierced by shrapnel and requires light maintenance. He fights dual-wielding daggers.
Khami: Is unhurt. He is rested. His armour requires only minute maintenance. He fights with an iron chain.
Johakim: Is unhurt.

For more information, on things such as favoured strategies and strengths and weaknesses, please refer to the recruit post.

---

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I. Duh

I wonder if we HAVE to kill once we start using the machine. What would happen if we run out of ammo? Interesting.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Duh. GOD drat IT KVELAR! I STILL REMEMBER THAT TIME YOU STOLE MY ICECREAM!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I - This is your fault you stupid snake, just die already.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I

I assume we cannot give orders or do actions other than basic attacks since we apparently failed to resist [Berserk]

Note for the future: Invest in status resistance

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I

KILL IT
KILLITKILITKILLITKILLIT
KILLITKILLITKILLITKILLIT
KILLITKILLITKILLITKILLIT

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

KILL! MAIM! BURN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Roland T. Dapperman posted:

KILL! MAIM! BURN!

This, I changed my mind, we should have brought the foof.