Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

FractalSandwich posted:

It's hard for me to talk about this game in good faith, though, because no matter what I say about the game parts of the game, it will never really be about that. The real reason I already hate it after such little time is because it's sexist. That's the number one thing on my mind when I watch these videos.

It's a generic and formulaic JRPG/anime story-wise, even down to the "repeat what you just said as a surprised question" and emotional sighs and grunts. It tries to be emotional and deep when many times the situation is simple, blunt, and stupid. It also suffers from how anime typically treats non-main characters which tend to be more than 50% female in this game in that if you are a supporting character, you are weak and stuck in a typical anime archetype that isn't Edge Maverick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Well, you guys alluded to this game years ago, and now it's finally here. Now that I finally see it, all I can really think is "Wow, this game looks like rear end". I've never really understood why games try and go for that realistic anime look, do people actually like it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kurui Reiten posted:

FFXIII was a terrible thing to happen to Square Enix in general, considering how much money and hype they heaped on it. Star Ocean 4 is worse in some ways, but absolutely better in others, and didn't have nearly as much money or hype behind it.

Those ways SO4 is better: more open maps, more side content, a much deeper (but completely hosed regardless) crafting and skill system, and a better post-game (as in one that exists). Those weren't exactly high hurdles to leap in comparison to FFXIII.

The ways that SO4 are worse are some of the most depressing and hilarious things, though.

The real difference is that FFXIII is a vaguely interesting idea that was run into the ground as a product of comical mismanagement. All they wound up with is pretty cutscenes made in advance of any actual storywriting joined by hallways.

Star Ocean 4, however, is a full complete project. This, in all it entails, is the finished release that everyone onboard wanted and signed off on. That's why it's the worse game.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Episode 4: Cave Holes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RD4Ta89Mws

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Life, like anime, was a mistake

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shei-kun posted:

That, or use like MS Word's Thesaurus option to look up related words for Edge and Maverick, then do the same thing with whatever the current names are. See how ridiculous it can get three or four sessions down the line.

Edge Maverick
-> Fringe Bohemian
--> Brink Iconoclast
---> Margin Radical
----> Selvage Primary

Those all seem like perfectly fine names to me.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

The Lone Badger posted:

Edge Maverick
-> Fringe Bohemian
--> Brink Iconoclast
---> Margin Radical
----> Selvage Primary

Those all seem like perfectly fine names to me.

Outskirt Constitutional

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Logicblade posted:

Outskirt Constitutional
Circumference Yomp?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Those not-flans make no sense.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I really love this series, every individual thing about about every star ocean game is wrong in a fascinating way. Its like you poorly explained what an action rpg was to an AI and then accidentally spilled a bunch of anime on it before it could finish making one. Except for star ocean 2, which is just kind of bland imo (although very late game is arguably the most interesting to break, what with being able to win unwinnable plot battles and whatnot).

My only real problem with 4 (that can be talked about right now without getting into spoilers) is that the awful environmental graphics/design make it really obnoxious to navigate around, which is the first of several ways the game seems to be actively trying to get you to stop playing it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Clever Spambot posted:

My only real problem with 4 (that can be talked about right now without getting into spoilers) is that the awful environmental graphics/design make it really obnoxious to navigate around, which is the first of several ways the game seems to be actively trying to get you to stop playing it.

I was feeling just like that, and then came SO5.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Episode 5: More Kinds of Invertebrates
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfnRvfaeyic

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Did anything whatsoever happen so far? As far as I can tell you are just faffing around on some planet, killing wildlife. Is that the entire game?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

ChickenWyngz posted:

This brings back memories :unsmith:
Bizarrely my uncle bought a secondhand PS3 purely for the bluray, and ended up playing through this multiple times because the kid he bought it off left the disc in the console and told him to keep it. Bearing in mind he was 56 at the time and never played a videogame before, or any since.

I'm not caught up on this thread yet but this is completely fascinating and bizarre and I have to comment on it.

So your uncle's entire perception of the medium of videogames is based off of Star Ocean 4 of all things? He must have some weird ideas about what games are.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
How many more crab fights do we have to get through before we get to see more unbearable anime cliches?

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
A cutscene is literally just starting as this episode ends.

I would rather be posting these faster given how little happens in a bunch of them but I want to make absolutely sure increasing the pace isn't going to lead to gaps before doing so.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I think that skill you learned is related to the BEAT system thing, so it would be under Character rather than under Skills. Despite the fact that the "Learned" prompt at the end of battle used the same icon as the Skills category in the menu.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy
So do the save points around the levels not have healing properties?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So does the sideboard provide a constant bonus, or is it dependent on how you gain the bonuses or what?

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I think that skill you learned is related to the BEAT system thing, so it would be under Character rather than under Skills. Despite the fact that the "Learned" prompt at the end of battle used the same icon as the Skills category in the menu.

Yeah, I noticed that going back through the videos.

xoFcitcrA posted:

So do the save points around the levels not have healing properties?

Save points do not. The green things that look like save points (but aren't) do.

goatface posted:

So does the sideboard provide a constant bonus, or is it dependent on how you gain the bonuses or what?

After every battle you get:
10% extra exp for every blue panel (gotten for finishing an enemy with a crit),
10% extra Fol (money) for every yellow panel (gotten for finishing off multiple enemies with the same attack),
1 party SP for every green panel (gotten for triggering an ambush (chaining multiple encounters together)) ,
and recover 1% HP and MP for every "red" panel (gotten for finishing off an enemy using only MP skills).

The panels stick around until the character you're controlling gets hit with a crit, which causes you to lose half of each colour rounding up or something else not related to loving up happens, when it resets.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So once it's full up, you can only change the contents by allowing yourself to be crit? Weird.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

It might seem hard to get hit right now, especially as Reimi, but you do have to put some vague effort into maintaining your board (if you want to) further in.

Also yeah Reimi's short-range attack has weird timing.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

wateyad posted:

After every battle you get:
10% extra exp for every blue panel (gotten for finishing an enemy with a crit),
10% extra Fol (money) for every yellow panel (gotten for finishing off multiple enemies with the same attack),
1 party SP for every green panel (gotten for triggering an ambush (chaining multiple encounters together)) ,
and recover 1% HP and MP for every "red" panel (gotten for finishing off an enemy using only MP skills).

The panels stick around until the character you're controlling gets hit with a crit, which causes you to lose half of each colour rounding up or something else not related to loving up happens, when it resets.

While I'm absolutely sure you guys give not the tiniest of shits about powergaming this garbage, you're probably past this point anyway, and I imagine grinding is roughly the last thing we'd want to see happen, I remember from playing this a zillion years ago that the transition from the first map to the cave area (or maybe going back from the cave to the plains?) has a spot where you can very easily get a chained encounter going to accumulate green panels for extra SP per fight. This will make it a lot easier to get skills up so you can show off crafting or max out your skills or whatever. Possibly useful as I seem to recall getting not a lot of SP otherwise.

I look forward to cutscenes to break up the combat monotony, though I will second or whatever that the gameplay for this isn't entirely horrible so it's maybe a little more bearable to actually be sitting through when playing.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Air is lava! posted:

Did anything whatsoever happen so far? As far as I can tell you are just faffing around on some planet, killing wildlife. Is that the entire game?
Having gone through the ENTIRE LP of The Last Story from near the beginning to the very end, I can say with confidence that the style of LPs wateyad and co. produces are best enjoyed as fashion simulators with hilarious commentary that also happen to have swords.

Also Lowell taking a piece of the wall to the dick. That was pretty great.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

Also Lowell taking a piece of the wall to the dick. That was pretty great.

Alternatively:

I fear SO4 will not give us any moments as good though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Shei-kun posted:

Having gone through the ENTIRE LP of The Last Story from near the beginning to the very end, I can say with confidence that the style of LPs wateyad and co. produces are best enjoyed as fashion simulators with hilarious commentary that also happen to have swords.

Fair point. I concur.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I miss Lowell. He was great.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So is wateyad doing something wrong, or does the game really expect you to have fun with nothing but a basic combo and a single special move? Graces came out only a few months after this and knew that was a stupid idea.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
God help me, but I'm about to defend Star Ocean 4. Yeah, he's only got the one combo/special attack right now, but remember that we are like...an hour into the game, tops. And even then it's only that long because he stopped to fight literally everything he came across. Once(/If) he actually gets things moving and makes some progress we'll start seeing skill books and other goodies drop and we'll get more specials.

Artix fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 30, 2016

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, SO2 had that head splitter move that came in at like level 12, it was something you'd spam for much the same reason as the Reimi thing. No back attacks or anything, just rapid movement around the map.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Artix posted:

God help me, but I'm about to defend Star Ocean 4. Yeah, he's only got the one combo/special attack right now, but remember that we are like...an hour into the game, tops. And even then it's only that long because he stopped to fight literally everything he came across. Once(/If) he actually gets things moving and makes some progress we'll start seeing skill books and other goodies drop and we'll get more specials.
It's only an hour or less if you ignore the tutorial and all the cutscenes, which is pretty disingenuous. And even at that, an hour is probably way too long to go with so little to do.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Episode 6: A Meteor Fragment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYy13GpqJC8

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Well, I guess the glowing weak point is more obvious when you're playing as Edge and have it right up in your face.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
I'm guessing that if you had gone to the northwest after the cutscene, you would have been able to jump down into an area you hadn't been in yet. Just because that appears to be the only way to get there, so maybe it'll be justified by, say, the ground sloping gradually up as you approach the low-enough-to-jump cliff face. Or something.

And anyway, it's not like you could take this advice in a video that was recorded three weeks ago.

Thank you, BTW, for playing this. I'm continually curious about Star Ocean plots, even though I wouldn't want to play them. So I'm enjoying watching it, even though the fact that others have said "Welch isn't remotely the worst character in the game" is filling me with fear.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Polsy posted:

Well, I guess the glowing weak point is more obvious when you're playing as Edge and have it right up in your face.

This is another thing that completely eluded me when playing the game but that I noticed when editing the video.

Tax Refund posted:

I'm guessing that if you had gone to the northwest after the cutscene, you would have been able to jump down into an area you hadn't been in yet. Just because that appears to be the only way to get there, so maybe it'll be justified by, say, the ground sloping gradually up as you approach the low-enough-to-jump cliff face. Or something.

There's definitely stuff here we'd have to come back later to get at.

quote:

Thank you, BTW, for playing this. I'm continually curious about Star Ocean plots, even though I wouldn't want to play them. So I'm enjoying watching it, even though the fact that others have said "Welch isn't remotely the worst character in the game" is filling me with fear.

'Kay.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

wateyad posted:

This is another thing that completely eluded me when playing the game but that I noticed when editing the video.

Well I'm sure you noticed it next boss fight right?.......right?>?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Your spelf is a bit underwhelming.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Does the game expect you to have double exp on all the time? Cause while this looks like a pretty nice mechanic, it seems like it'd be hard to balance around.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

goatface posted:

Your spelf is a bit underwhelming.
That happened to me once. I got some cream from the chemist, and that cleared it right up. You don't need a prescription or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Episode 7: So why didn't we want to ask THEM for help?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBeGDI327gU

• Locked thread