Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Gay Weed Dad posted:

The majority of people that I have known to do this have not fared well, especially in the automotive sector. I have a buddy who went to a school that was bought by Lincoln tech and his "job placement" was an interview at a Jiffy Lube for slightly above minimum wage. He wound up getting into HVAC and does alright doing that now but he has a ton of student debt to repay.

While anecdotal for sure it really highlights how fly-by-night most vocational "colleges" have become. I don't know that I would be to eager to take the gamble, especially if my situation was already strained.

Yeah, I owned my own automotive shop for many years(finally sold it when my knees/shoulders went to poo poo), and every for-profit trade school I've ever had any contact with were utter scumbags.

They bullshit the young kids with promises of "great, high-paying automotive jobs", then give them a year or two of part-time instruction, and send 'em out into the job world. Problem is, you can't learn enough basic skills in that amount of time to be a journeyman mechanic, you end getting jobs doing low-level stuff like spark plugs, oil changes and tires for correspondingly low wages.

But you're not making any more money than a kid that took a couple years of auto shop in HS or junior college, and now you owe all this money to student loans. Auto mechanics, more than any other trade that I know of, requires a SHITLOAD of experience and while education is great and necessary, you're gonna have to put in a bunch of time working under a skilled tech before you really know the job.

The trade schools mysteriously leave out the last part.

In my area at least, the best way to go about being an auto tech was to go through the local JC, it was cheaper and the quality of education was better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, I owned my own automotive shop for many years(finally sold it when my knees/shoulders went to poo poo), and every for-profit trade school I've ever had any contact with were utter scumbags.

They bullshit the young kids with promises of "great, high-paying automotive jobs", then give them a year or two of part-time instruction, and send 'em out into the job world. Problem is, you can't learn enough basic skills in that amount of time to be a journeyman mechanic, you end getting jobs doing low-level stuff like spark plugs, oil changes and tires for correspondingly low wages.

But you're not making any more money than a kid that took a couple years of auto shop in HS or junior college, and now you owe all this money to student loans. Auto mechanics, more than any other trade that I know of, requires a SHITLOAD of experience and while education is great and necessary, you're gonna have to put in a bunch of time working under a skilled tech before you really know the job.

The trade schools mysteriously leave out the last part.

In my area at least, the best way to go about being an auto tech was to go through the local JC, it was cheaper and the quality of education was better.

The last sentence is key. And a good juco. My son isn't into my areas, so the gently caress what. Get a good trade at an accredited state juco.

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent
For the love of god don't waste money on Wyotech or UTI or whatever. There are so many companies that will pay you to learn the trade because they're so hard up for people.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

Because if they're not doing what's good for the stock price, they get paid less. Also it's taxed less.

Executive compensation is filled with so many unintended consequences. First there was the brilliant idea to shame companies by publicizing CEO pay, which instead increased average pay. Then they started using stock to encourage performance resulting in lovely short term choices.

Maybe enforcing a max multiplier for publicly traded companies. Something like 100-to-1 between the lowest paid employee and the highest paid. But then companies would just outsource the bottom 50th percentile to continue paying obscenely large salaries. The few times the government has enforced a salary cap (Citibank and BoA after the Great Recession), the banks did everything they could to pay back TARP and ditch the pay ceilings.

Y-Hat posted:

From a few pages ago but we're talking about MBAs and whatnot now, so gently caress it. The results speak for themselves, and they very clearly say that if you go to a for-profit online college, you're going to take out tens of thousands of dollars in student loans to get a worthless degree from an institution that no employer will take seriously. Combine that with the fact that community colleges and some state universities have certificate and associate's degree programs for far cheaper that put you in a better position to get a job, and it's no surprise why "enrollment" is down at University of Phoenix, DeVry, etc. If you're thinking of changing your career path, go to one of those schools instead.

I have one of those degrees, a Masters in Early Childhood Education from the University of Phoenix. I honestly have no idea how good or worthless it is as it was meant to be my backup career and when I needed it most (laid off from IT during the Great Recession) all the school districts around me were firing hundreds of teachers. :shrug:

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Education, specifically the "child" and "early" version is a bad route to go if you're looking for money.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Chinatown posted:

The United States of America

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

Y-Hat posted:

Because if they're not doing what's good for the stock price, they get paid less. Also it's taxed less.

That doesn't answer the question. Sure, capital gains are taxed at a lower rate than salary. And many companies offer stock or stock options to tie executive compensation to stock price. But how are those relevant to time frame? If a CEO raises a company's stock price by 20% over one year, or he raises it over three years, what's the difference?

I'm sure that there are elements I haven't thought of but, off the top of my head, it seems to me that you could encourage long-term investment by offering a tax benefit. Right now, if you sell an asset within a year, you have to pay your standard income tax rate on the profit. But, if you wait longer than a year, you only have to pay the 15% capital gains tax. Perhaps offering a third tier to that structure, like dropping the capital gains tax even lower (maybe ever to zero) in year three or five would provide the proper incentive to encourage investors to hold their stocks longer, and to think more long-term.

Again, this is off the top of my head and I'm sure there are facets to the idea that I haven't considered yet. But perhaps that could help offset the perceived risk of long-term holding.

Mr. 47 has a new favorite as of 07:18 on Aug 4, 2016

naem
May 29, 2011

Warren Buffett is famous for holding stocks long term and riding out short term volatility and it's made him v successful

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

naem posted:

Warren Buffett is famous for holding stocks long term and riding out short term volatility and it's made him v successful

He's also famous for being over a billion dollars behind on his taxes, and for definitely committing insider trading by buying into companies right before they're sold. He cultivates this image of a kindly old grandfather type when he's the shrewdest shark in the pool. It's kind of a "greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist" thing.

I'm just saying that not everything he does is advisable. Or even legal, really.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

naem posted:

Right, and there aren't a whole lot of people out there that make decisions like that, because many publicly-traded businesses don't think long term (read: beyond the next fiscal quarter) like Warren Buffett. They live in the here and now. It sorta says something that his way of thinking is novel in this business environment.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Also it seems that long-term investing requires you to have a substantial buffer - in Buffet's case, a few cool billion - so you can ride the shocks without losing your poo poo. It seems galling to me to suggest that investors need another type of bail-out system, but maybe so?

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

i'm going to shamefully admit that I went to a tech school, I have an incredibly easy job with insane benefits that i make an extremely livable wage on but i could have just as easily bought a fifty dollar book and studied from to pass the certification test instead of getting in school loan debt and spending a year learning nothing that the book couldn't have taught me

i tell myself that i have the job i wanted but it took 4 years of working entry level poo poo, and i had a huge willingness to learn while 80% of my "class" did not find a job related to what they learned and are stuck working retail poo poo etc on top of student loans.

one of my good friends is in 50k~ of debt from itt tech and barring a substantial wind fall or eating nothing but beans and rice for many years he'll literally never pay it off. he has a great job now that he loves, but he had to work up from entry level poo poo and it's nothing he couldn't have taught himself

what I'm getting at is I'm a huge retard and never do anything I do ever

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

actually rereading that it kind of owns because it took me 5 years to get a "real" job and i make more money than anyone i know with a bachelor's/masters and have less than a fraction of student loan debt lol

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Fasdar posted:

Also it seems that long-term investing requires you to have a substantial buffer - in Buffet's case, a few cool billion - so you can ride the shocks without losing your poo poo. It seems galling to me to suggest that investors need another type of bail-out system, but maybe so?

I haven't seen anyone is talking about bailouts, at least not yet. But, in my experience as an investor, sticking it out through the hard times can be like keeping your hand in the Bene Gesserit pain box. You known intellectually that the best course of action is to keep your hand in the box. But it takes a tremendous force of will to do that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That's a good idea for an app, how much do you think the banks would give me?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the greatest con ever pulled was convincing people that ~~the market~~~ will solve all their retirement problems, thereby pitting shareholders directly against workers

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. 47 posted:

That doesn't answer the question. Sure, capital gains are taxed at a lower rate than salary. And many companies offer stock or stock options to tie executive compensation to stock price. But how are those relevant to time frame? If a CEO raises a company's stock price by 20% over one year, or he raises it over three years, what's the difference?

Short term capital gains (profits from assets/securities held less than a year) are taxed the same as regular income, just fwiw

but as to this

quote:

If a CEO raises a company's stock price by 20% over one year, or he raises it over three years, what's the difference?

20% over a year is a 20% return, 20% over 3 years is 6.67% return.

Mr. 47 posted:

I haven't seen anyone is talking about bailouts, at least not yet. But, in my experience as an investor, sticking it out through the hard times can be like keeping your hand in the Bene Gesserit pain box. You known intellectually that the best course of action is to keep your hand in the box. But it takes a tremendous force of will to do that.

exactly how I felt during that second China slide haha

BRRRT_BRRRT
May 7, 2005

Booblord Zagats posted:

I know some people who work for GEICO proper (not an insurance agency branded with GEICO but the actual company) and they say it's a wonderful environment where they get bonuses based on client satisfaction instead of denied claims, really good health insurance and a very relaxed upper management

GEICO is a horrible place to work for any non-management employee with an entire management/company culture based on how much work you can get out of the fewest ppl possible. But it's sure not circling any drains.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

Short term capital gains (profits from assets/securities held less than a year) are taxed the same as regular income, just fwiw

I'm aware.

Mr. 47 posted:

Right now, if you sell an asset within a year, you have to pay your standard income tax rate on the profit. But, if you wait longer than a year, you only have to pay the 15% capital gains tax.

Further:

Moridin920 posted:

20% over a year is a 20% return, 20% over 3 years is 6.67% return.

It's 6.27% a year, according to my math. But I wanted him to explain that, because I strongly suspect that he has no idea what he's talking about.

Mr. 47 has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Aug 4, 2016

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

go3 posted:

the greatest con ever pulled was convincing people that ~~the market~~~ will solve all their retirement problems, thereby pitting shareholders directly against workers

What? No. You're still picturing shareholders and workers as two different people. They're the same people.

If anything, the greatest con ever pulled on the American people was convincing them that if they surrendered a portion of their income to the government (i.e. Social Security), their whole lives, they would be taken care of. Meanwhile, a bunch of Congressmen and Senators were pillaging the fund with their greedy piggy hooves to pay for their own pork barrel bullshit.

If you want to know how government works, just imagine one giant pig sodomizing another pig while shoveling all the slop into its snout that it can grab with its piggy piggy hooves.

Mr. 47 has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Aug 4, 2016

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I'm kinda surprised Sony hasn't come up with some social network crap. It seems like something dumb they would do

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Verizon just bought yahoo

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ChrisHansen posted:

Verizon just bought yahoo

Remember when Microsoft balked at buying Yahoo for like 44 Billion a few years ago. Get owned suckas.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

darkhand posted:

I'm kinda surprised Sony hasn't come up with some social network crap. It seems like something dumb they would do

I would wager they did, sometime in 2005. At the time it seemed like everyone was making clones of whatever the biggest site was at the time, starting with myspace then facebook and later youtube, and then finally Second Life. Wikipedia has a list of dead video-streaming competitors. I think Wal-mart had a social networking site at one point.

Playstation Home will save the PS3. Anyway they're still running Crackle, right?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

vyst posted:

Remember when Microsoft balked at buying Yahoo for like 44 Billion a few years ago. Get owned suckas.
Yahoo had the opportunity to buy Google for a couple million dollars or something in 1999. No, I didn't mean to say "billion."

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

Yahoo had the opportunity to buy Google for a couple million dollars or something in 1999. No, I didn't mean to say "billion."

They would have just hosed it up somehow

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

vyst posted:

you mean yahoo balked at a 44 billion $ bid from microsoft in 2008.

but yeah, haha owneddddd

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Professor Shark posted:

They would have just hosed it up somehow

They overpaid through the nose for Tumblr, so you're probably right.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yahoo had an opportunity to buy facebook in 2006 (for 1 billion) but couldnt even raise that much cash due to their shoddy stock price and only brought 750mil to the table.

fuckerberg walked and the rest was history

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

natetimm posted:

They overpaid through the nose for Tumblr, so you're probably right.

I'm a man posing as a talking shark

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Sharkposting

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Mr. 47 posted:

What? No. You're still picturing shareholders and workers as two different people. They're the same people.

If anything, the greatest con ever pulled on the American people was convincing them that if they surrendered a portion of their income to the government (i.e. Social Security), their whole lives, they would be taken care of. Meanwhile, a bunch of Congressmen and Senators were pillaging the fund with their greedy piggy hooves to pay for their own pork barrel bullshit.

If you want to know how government works, just imagine one giant pig sodomizing another pig while shoveling all the slop into its snout that it can grab with its piggy piggy hooves.

You do know 1/3rd of Americans have no retirement, no 401ks, no mutual funds.

Tens of millions of people don't even know that much about the stock market and are working poor subsidized by the government because their jobs don't pay a livable wage, specifically in service of shareholders.

So there is a difference. If you are a worker and you've managed to work your way up to investing, good job you got lucky. The people servicing your growth and returns are really just factored into your books as resources though and not "Fellow Investors who are all in it together"

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

thathonkey posted:

you mean yahoo balked at a 44 billion $ bid from microsoft in 2008.

but yeah, haha owneddddd

Whoops yea I had that backwards!

Get hosed Yahoo!

Also I'd gently caress Marissa Mayer np

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

darkhand posted:

Sharkposting

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

darkhand posted:

I just looked up what they charge for a 64 gig card for the Vita. $110 US dollars.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr. 47 posted:

dear lawd.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

go3 posted:

I don't get how companies managed to convince the general public that Defined Contribution is the better option for retirement and managed to kill off Defined Benefit. I work in this loving industry and I seriously don't understand it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

vyst posted:

Also I'd gently caress Marissa Mayer np

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSujceZDmg

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This is extremely my poo poo, a truly perfect creature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't get how companies managed to convince the general public that Defined Contribution is the better option for retirement and managed to kill off Defined Benefit. I work in this loving industry and I seriously don't understand it.

The economy was so incredibly strong and there was so much opportunity-even for average middle class people- that they got away with this for years