Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

Gallagher can't join the Vaudevillains, he's too much of a gentlemen and they're nefarious scoundrels.

I'm not sure what's better outfit-wise for Jack. His rainbow trunks and socks, or that amazing suit he wore in his hype video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I watched Suicide Squad instead of NXT and Cruiserweight Classic.... don't make the same mistake I did :gonk:

Ciampa/Gargano was really good and I loving loved the post-match with them sitting beside each other and hugging :shobon:

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Obviously Tozawa is going to beat Gallagher, but I hope it's more of a competitive match rather than a squash. I really enjoy Gallagher's shtick and am interested in seeing how he works with someone with more of a shoot style.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/WrestlingSheet/status/761277882102587392

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I can't wait to see these used as heel heat at Indy shows.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
And they can wear them to the ring like Angle's medals
https://twitter.com/RealMickFoley/status/761014162852028416

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Baby Babbeh posted:

Obviously Tozawa is going to beat Gallagher, but I hope it's more of a competitive match rather than a squash. I really enjoy Gallagher's shtick and am interested in seeing how he works with someone with more of a shoot style.

I legit can't wait to hear Tozawa screaming his rear end off when Gallagher puts him in submission holds. Tozawa has the best pain shouts in the business.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Has Gallagher ever used that dropkick as a finish on the indies, or was that just luck that they booked this match to go that way and he freakin' nailed the spot?

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
Noam Dar and Garv Sirha had no chemistry what was that match. I thought Dar looked really bad for someone winning their first round match. The rolling was bad. Psychology was bad. Blugh.

And maybe I'm just too used to the WWE style but Gargano taking that beating and winning on a little roll up and no other move just felt wrong. I don't remember him doing much in the way of offense for most of the match other than the sweet super kick in the corner. It was a fun match and I assumed going in that Gargano was going to win, but I dunno didn't really feel like the winner looked like a star. Probably look like an idiot for feeling that way but that was my immediate thought at the finish.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Gargano's finisher is a submission hold and I'm pretty sure they just wanted to build up that Gargano can take a beating while not having Ciampa visibly tap out to his friend/tag partner.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That ending is totally WWE style though: They wanted to push them as equals and didn't want it to be a decisive victory, so one of them got lucky at the end while the other kicked rear end the whole time.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Baron Corbyn posted:

Probably Rich Swann instead of Gargano too because he's more in need of a star making performance. Gargano and Ciampa are probably going to have a fantastic match with The Revival so don't need to be spotlighted as much in this tournament.

Yeah, this is very reasonable. It feels strange that they'd give the "main event" of the first round to someone who's going out in the quarters, but it does make a lot of sense that A) that match already gives them both enough of a rub to last the whole tournament and B) Having a more legit sports presentation means they want to avoid having the four semifinalists just be the four guys who main evented each first round show

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Well, the match meant more than the others because of people knowing them from NXT. I doubt we'll get such a "personal" match again in the tournament, so it makes sense that they'd have that end the first round.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh sure, and there are plenty of other reasons to put so much emotional investment and sturcutural importance on a first round match besides "the winner is going to advance far". It's just the most intuitive one, or at least the one that came to my mind first

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

It also helps build Gargano/Ciampa for their tag title match at Brooklyn. Even though they've been putting on great matches on NXT for months, they haven't been given a real storyline until now so getting their backstory and friendship out there gets people to care about them. I'm sure NXT and the CWC have largely the same audience.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/JoeyOnEarth/status/761009855301881857

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Isn't that pretty much all of them? By my count there's just two USA vs USA matches: Nese/Bennett and Gargano/Ciampa

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 5, 2016

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

During the Mustafa Ali match, during his entrance, they caught each others' eyes and the dude pulled on his shirt to make sure he saw it.

Forgetting that Ali is a police officer from Illinois, that is.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry if I'm killing the joke here, but I saw that guy too and it looked more like he was looking at his phone a lot than outright protesting

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

Isn't that pretty much all of them? By my count there's just two USA vs USA matches: Nese/Bennett and Gargano/Ciampa

Ehhh, Ali/Dorado is basically US vs US (even if dudes like that likely wouldn't think of it as such for multiple reasons), one's from Chicago, the other from Puerto Rico. And like half the round 2 matches are.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Jenny Angel posted:

Sorry if I'm killing the joke here, but I saw that guy too and it looked more like he was looking at his phone a lot than outright protesting

Are you really giving the person wearing that shirt to an international tournament the benefit of the doubt? He was clearly put off when a non-American (especially with ties to the Middle East) was in the ring.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Fair enough. It's not like constantly looking at your phone during a wrestling match is a show of respect to the wrestlers in the first place

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

i really should have predicted jack gallagher to win the whole thing.

he's wonderful

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Jack Gallagher and ZSJ are my two twink boyfriends now

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Jack Gallagher and ZSJ are my two twink boyfriends now

Gallagher/Dalton Castle is a first round BOLA match this year and that's gonna be... something

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Grozz Nuy posted:

Gallagher/Dalton Castle is a first round BOLA match this year and that's gonna be... something

i hope gallagher has his own boys

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

:kimchi:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Last match in this was real real good. FF'd through most of them, but now that the real jobbers are out and everyone's won a match it will be more interesting.

Also, I like how the commentary is in this. Different from the standard mold they use.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kawalimus posted:

Last match in this was real real good. FF'd through most of them, but now that the real jobbers are out and everyone's won a match it will be more interesting.

Also, I like how the commentary is in this. Different from the standard mold they use.

Gallagher/Aichner is worth watching the whole thing. Same with Ali/Dorado and the Kendrick/Mendoza match.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I watched the Kendrick match and that was cool also. Hard to believe he's 37.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Goddamn Ciampa vs Gargano was amazing. Brutal, insane, and told a loving story.

Also push Gentleman Jack forever.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
gurv looks like virat kohli except kohli is actually good at what he does

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

I don't want Tajiri to win the CWC, but he needs to continue appearing even if he's eliminated at some point. Why? Well,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emhk55XIdpk

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Well, considering Tajiri has already been signed to WWE, you don't have to worry about that.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I hope everyone is appropriately hype for this.

https://twitter.com/TripleH/status/763463121277063168

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh God, one of these guys has to lose in the second round :gonk:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Ibushi vs. Alexander gonna own so much

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Bring it

Bring it now

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
This went up on the network before it started airing. Is this a thing they started doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
What the gently caress are you wearing Corey?!

• Locked thread