Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just hope they do shorts. Didn't they kinda wane in the latter seasons? They don't have to worry too much about running time while on Netflix so I hope they have some in the new version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The shorts kind of disappearing had more to do with Syfy than any desire on their behalf. Also I'm assuming shorts were harder to come by back in the day but now with the internet they're all over the place.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
If they do shorts, I hope they dip into the deep well that is 80s anti-drug shorts. Granted, they're usually longer than the 10-minute shorts from the 50s that they usually used, but they'd definitely be a goldmine for the show.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Command Ant posted:

If they do shorts, I hope they dip into the deep well that is 80s anti-drug shorts. Granted, they're usually longer than the 10-minute shorts from the 50s that they usually used, but they'd definitely be a goldmine for the show.

I'd be happy with a 3 or 4 short episode but that's asking a lot. I know they've done 2 shorts and a movie.

There's just something so ridiculous but earnest about a lot of shorts.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

The shorts kind of disappearing had more to do with Syfy than any desire on their behalf. Also I'm assuming shorts were harder to come by back in the day but now with the internet they're all over the place.

Yeah, the first SciFi channel season required that they only use things in the channel's library. Toward the end, however, the network lightened up their control and they could go back to the massive well of public domain shorts that brought us all so much joy. You'll note that A Case of Spring Fever was in the second to last episode of the show.

I'd kind of like it if they expand the format to two hours. With little to no editing for the movie, a short, and host segments, they could run that length pretty easily. But there's no reason that they should require any particular length; just run shorter or longer as needed...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 1, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've always enjoyed the shorts more than the movie riffs honestly, I'd love to see more of them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, the first SciFi channel season required that they only use things in the channel's library. Toward the end, however, the network lightened up their control and they could go back to the massive well of public domain shorts that brought us all so much joy. You'll note that A Case of Spring Fever was in the second to last episode of the show.

I'd kind of like it if they expand the format to two hours. With little to no editing for the movie, a short, and host segments, they could run that length pretty easily. But there's no reason that they should require any particular length; just run shorter or longer as needed...

Yeah, I imagine that's part of the reason Joel & co went to Netflix, no specific runtime restrictions. If a movie happens to only be 55 minutes long, then the episode only has to be an hour and ten. If the film is 150 minutes, then 3 hour ep.

Though Joel's also said very few 50's type movies this go-round, so 70's-80's era PSAs are probably more likely if they do any shorts. Plus Rifftrax already has most of the good ones done anyway. They've got like 3 dozen Coronet ones alone.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, I imagine that's part of the reason Joel & co went to Netflix, no specific runtime restrictions. If a movie happens to only be 55 minutes long, then the episode only has to be an hour and ten. If the film is 150 minutes, then 3 hour ep.

Did you just read the latest Kickstarter update? Because that's exactly what Joel said today!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

CaptainYesterday posted:

Did you just read the latest Kickstarter update? Because that's exactly what Joel said today!

Is there any word on if it'll be one major dump of episodes, or if they're going to do the Chelsea Lately thing and put out an episode a week for 14 weeks?

As much as I love binge watching, I kinda like the idea of getting one a week to build the surprise of what will come next. Watching a new MST3k was a Saturday morning ritual for me, sadly cut short by becoming a fan during the last tumultuous season.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

Is there any word on if it'll be one major dump of episodes, or if they're going to do the Chelsea Lately thing and put out an episode a week for 14 weeks?

As much as I love binge watching, I kinda like the idea of getting one a week to build the surprise of what will come next. Watching a new MST3k was a Saturday morning ritual for me, sadly cut short by becoming a fan during the last tumultuous season.

I dunno why but I feel like once a week is better. Maybe it's the length of eps. Or maybe that (based on previous MST3ks) the 'storyline' isn't that important. I can see feeling the need or want to go straight into another "Orange..." or "House of Cards" or whatever. MST3k rarely ever had any cliffhangers or pressing need to go from one episode to another. I mean, later on they kinda did but it wasn't Breaking Bad levels of, "I need to now what's next!"

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure Joel said at some point that they wanted to release them one at a time, but that was before the Netflix deal was actually made and there have been about a million Kickstarter updates so I'll never be able to find it (if he even really said it).

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Going back to the shorts, I'd be interested in seeing alternate takes on some of the Rifftrax ones, like the At Your Fingertips series or the Norman series.

(Seriously I have no idea what the hell with the Norman Krasner shorts. I guess we made them in Canada, but I have no idea why. Although I very, very vaguely remember seeing one in either elementary or junior high once.)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I just (re-?)watched Project Moonbase. It's no better or worse than your average Season 1 episode, but one of those ones that seems worse because it's so mockable that you start counting the missed opportunities.

Best moment is a riff that's almost too dumb for MST3K, but had me laughing like a moron anyway.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Going back to the shorts, I'd be interested in seeing alternate takes on some of the Rifftrax ones, like the At Your Fingertips series or the Norman series.

(Seriously I have no idea what the hell with the Norman Krasner shorts. I guess we made them in Canada, but I have no idea why. Although I very, very vaguely remember seeing one in either elementary or junior high once.)

They were made in Detroit, Michigan. The director/creator is dead but had a LinkedIn profile when I checked up on him. He listed himself as a producer of educational films. He never escaped Detroit.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Jack Gladney posted:

They were made in Detroit, Michigan. The director/creator is dead but had a LinkedIn profile when I checked up on him. He listed himself as a producer of educational films. He never escaped Detroit.

Really? I could've sworn we were responsible for unleashing Norman on the world. :canada:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Jesus. Imagine the new mst3k did telefrancais. What would they make of annana

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

If I had to pick one Rifftrax one to be tackled by Jonah and the bots, it'd probably be One Got Fat, because jesus...

(Coffeehouse Rendez-vous is also up there, but more in a baffled bemusement that a whole 10 minute film was made about this subject)

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

If I had to pick one Rifftrax one to be tackled by Jonah and the bots, it'd probably be One Got Fat, because jesus...

(Coffeehouse Rendez-vous is also up there, but more in a baffled bemusement that a whole 10 minute film was made about this subject)

I think it'd be a little weird for MST3k to tackle shorts/movies that Rifftrax did (and that goes for the other way around). That said some movies/shorts are so "classic" and notorious that they go beyond one show and become open fodder for everyone. "One Got Fat" definitely fits in that category.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Really? I could've sworn we were responsible for unleashing Norman on the world. :canada:

A good test would be to find someone who recognized that airport.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Ape of Naples posted:

I think it'd be a little weird for MST3k to tackle shorts/movies that Rifftrax did (and that goes for the other way around). That said some movies/shorts are so "classic" and notorious that they go beyond one show and become open fodder for everyone. "One Got Fat" definitely fits in that category.

Rifftrax actually has gone back and done multiple things that were from MST3K. Cinematic Titanic also redid that horrible Santa Claus and the Martians movie.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rifftrax actually has gone back and done multiple things that were from MST3K. Cinematic Titanic also redid that horrible Santa Claus and the Martians movie.

I know they have and they always felt weird to me. The Manos Rifftrax wasn't as fun as the original. I could tell when they were avoiding the MST3k jokes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One Got Fat is a national treasure of riffability and deserves to be on MST3K

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

One Got Fat is a national treasure of riffability and deserves to be on MST3K

Agreed. What other shorts/movies count?
Plan 9?
Birdemic?

I think the new MST3k will stay away from movies that were already done. At least for the first season or two. What would work would be a classic reriffed for a Thanksgiving release or as an extra in some way but not in season. I think Joel would really want to get the new MST3k on a solid footing before going to something that has been done. And to be fair the new MST3k doesn't have to do that where as with Rifftrax it may have been a smart move to try to recapture old fans with previous riffs. I feel like that was a runonsentance.

Edit: Shake Hands with Danger?

I'm surprised there hasn't been a "welcome to the internet!" type short from the early 90s. Didn't Jennifer Aniston do a Microsoft one?

Edit 2: It was Jennifer Aniston and Matthew Perry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGYcNcFhctc

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 3, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'd really love to hear them riff that insane 80's (90's?) Chem Lab safety video that I had to watch in nearly every single grade. The one where the guy stabs himself as hard as he can with the broken thermometer.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Fun in Ballonland is my absolute favorite Rifftrax. It's right up there with the best of MST3k

"There's a man on the wing, and the back, and the side, and the top of the plane!"

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

DivisionPost posted:

I'm watching Monster A-Go-Go for the first time.

Not ten minutes into this movie and Joel and the crew are beating on it like it owed them money. This is beautifully savage.

I love when absolutely nothing is happening and Joel just says gently caress it and opens a can of pop. You can tell its really bad when they just have to start talking about things other than the movie.

My favorite episode is the aforementioned bizarre Mexican Santa Claus film where he battles the devil. Every quip is hilarious, especially the opening sequence when Santa is playing the piano. They did it again on Rifftrax later (the non-edited version of the film) but the MST3K version is much funnier.

Secks fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 4, 2016

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Secks posted:

I love when absolutely nothing is happening and Joel just says gently caress it and opens a can of pop. You can tell its really bad when they just have to start talking about things other than the movie.

My favorite episode is the aforementioned bizarre Mexican Santa Claus film where he battles the devil. Every quip is hilarious, especially the opening sequence when Santa is playing the piano. They did it again on Rifftrax later (the non-edited version of the film) but the MST3K version is much funnier.

Was it pop? I always assumed it was a beer.

On the topic of K. Gordon Murray, holy god does MST or Rifftrax need to do Little Red Riding Hood and the Monsters. I am honestly surprised Disney didn't sue the gently caress out of someone for their "Queen of Badness"

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Was it pop? I always assumed it was a beer.

Either way.

*can cracks open*
Crow: Hey!
Servo: Whatthe? Do you have a can of pop?
Crow: Hey, gimme some of that!
Servo: Get it over here.
Joel: I don't have a can of pop. You guys know you're not supposed to bring anything in the theater
Servo: Then what's that?
Joel: My medicine.
Servo: Oh, medicine. Right.
Crow: C'mon! Share!

...and infinitely more entertaining than the scene they are watching.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Secks posted:

In the Episode Guide, I think this was the movie they admitted was the first one where they made a conscious decision to have all the skits not be about the movie, since there wasn't anything in the movie to base skit on in the first place.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

In the Episode Guide, I think this was the movie they admitted was the first one where they made a conscious decision to have all the skits not be about the movie, since there wasn't anything in the movie to base skit on in the first place.

I can't remember what movie that was from. Monster A Go Go? Fire Maidens? I know I've seen it recently.

It reminds me of when Mike went to get popcorn in "...Batwoman"

E: It was Monsters A Go Go.

Speaking of skits I just remembered Timmy from Fire Maidens. I just know that had an unpainted Crow and was like "He looks evil, let's use that."

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 4, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I want to say that Timmy was the theater Crow puppet because those are painted black.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I want to say that Timmy was the theater Crow puppet because those are painted black.

Yeah, that sounds familiar now. I miss my Amazing Colossal Episode Guide.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

That's right. I think Tom's body was painted black, too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

That's right. I think Tom's body was painted black, too.

There were a few episodes where the dome was clear so that people could see the movie through Tom's head, but for the most part they painted the theater puppet's head completely black for Tom as well.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Random Stranger posted:

There were a few episodes where the dome was clear so that people could see the movie through Tom's head, but for the most part they painted the theater puppet's head completely black for Tom as well.

Then there was this (thankfully) failed experiment:

An attempt to have Tom's head take up less space in the theater. Only used in Rocket Attack USA and Ring of Terror.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Then there was this (thankfully) failed experiment:

An attempt to have Tom's head take up less space in the theater. Only used in Rocket Attack USA and Ring of Terror.

So that's why they did that. Huh.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Ape of Naples posted:

Speaking of skits I just remembered Timmy from Fire Maidens. I just know that had an unpainted Crow and was like "He looks evil, let's use that."

I remember back in the early 90's, one of the video game magazines (EGM or Gamepro) featured art sent in by a reader of the MST3K cast dressed up as the cast of Mortal Kombat. I mainly remember it for the editor laughing his rear end off at the idea that Crow is Scorpion and Timmy is Noob Saibot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Glad i bothered to read the thread because I was wondering if they had plans to do any new shorts, and I guess the answer is "we don't know". Though all those 70s and 80s anti drug things would be perfect. I remember seeing one in Jr High that featured a kid going out to try to score some weed and ends up getting raped and murdered in a truck. WTF?

Anyways, if anyone is curious on what kind of humor Elliott Kalan does, you can check out the Podcast he does, The Flophouse, and grab his Spider-Man and the X-men run.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'd say they should do that Muppet Babies anti-drug movie, but I'm not sure they could add anything to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Oh my god, what if they did Boys Beware?!

On the off chance you haven't seen it, it quite plainly states that homosexual=pedophile. It's soooo wrong and dark but in the right hands it could be loving amazing.