Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

My friend pointed this out to me and I didn't read it here so, hey, look, a reference!
Darlene's screen name is Dolores Haze, the full name of the girl in Lolita.

Also, for all you *nix-nerds...

ELLIOT USES VIM! Hahahaha gently caress off emacs!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
So when White Rose said in season one that the Dark Army would take care of the Chinese backup facilities, he meant that they'd murder anyone that came asking about them... Daaaamn

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Great ep. This doesn't really bother me because I'm not an uberdork but it did make me laugh that so much of the season has been about a Tor site and then when you finally get to see it they opened it in Firefox. How did they possibly make that mistake haha

How'd this episode do for the institution theory?

Soccus Nephropidae
Nov 1, 2010

When bread drinks milk,
it seems to get drunk.

Escobarbarian posted:

How'd this episode do for the institution theory?

Well, Darlene did ask Elliot where the "she-devil" was when she visited, which is interesting. She could be insulting their mutually resented mother, or just being her typically irreverent self towards Elliot's nurse. So it neither proves or disproves any theory.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Great ep. This doesn't really bother me because I'm not an uberdork but it did make me laugh that so much of the season has been about a Tor site and then when you finally get to see it they opened it in Firefox. How did they possibly make that mistake haha

I thought Tor Browser was Firefox.

Just updated it and...

Changelog:
Tor Browser 6.0.3 -- August 2
* All Platforms
* Update Firefox to 45.3.0esr
* Update Torbutton to 1.9.5.6

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn't actually know that, but I'm pretty sure Tor doesn't just open with a "Welcome to Firefox!" page and have the Firefox icon, right?

Also who do we think was behind the attack on the FBI?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Escobarbarian posted:

Darlene hired them for 100 bitcoins through Ray's TOR site.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

HorseRenoir posted:

Joanna is terrifying :stonk:

It's the ones who think they can combine kindness with murder that are the scariest.

Joannawellickophobia relief: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdxkoDzJmzc&t=198s

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

bbf2 posted:

Could be one of those "the characters are seeing it uncensored but we're blurring it out for the TV show viewers," kind of like how f-bombs are bleeped and whatnot.

Stymies forensic analysis, I bet.

Escobarbarian posted:

I didn't actually know that, but I'm pretty sure Tor doesn't just open with a "Welcome to Firefox!" page and have the Firefox icon, right?

I think Tor functions as a VPN so past having the icon in your task tray, it's as in the background as your DNS server. I think.

CeeJee posted:

It's the ones who think they can combine kindness with murder that are the scariest.

In all fairness, if I were being assassinated, I'd really want to know why. It is a cold courtesy.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 4, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Was the picture of the kidnapped woman totally blurred on the broadcast version? On Amazon Prime there were black bars over the eyes/boobs but that was it I think.

edit: never mind I was wrong. black bar over the eyes was a blindfold and there's nothing on the breasts, so it's totally uncensored.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
If I recall correctly, Firefox has a tor extension/ plugin.

Has anyone checked the site address that they displayed on the show

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
The TOR browser isn't necessary for connecting to the TOR network. It's just pre-configured which makes it the easiest/safest option for people who don't know what they're doing. Still a bit odd that they went with Firefox but it's plausible.

DPR nod in the black market username was cool. Also the UI looked exactly like Silk Road.

e: Someone on Reddit said it the onion website doesn't work, but not sure if he just tried to connect normally or through TOR

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The onion website may not work but it looks like the IRC Elliot's been logging onto does work and has had new entries posted to it.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

Escobarbarian posted:

I thought this was just the dark army's way of keeping the Chinese backup facilities from being inspected.

edit: Actually it probably has more to do with the 6 month strategy White Rose was discussing last week when his aide showed him the FBI document.

Death Vomit Wizard fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 4, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Does anyone got a capture of the "urgent hit" page that flash on screen when Eliot check the website? Just to know if it was for the hit against the FBI.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I hope Martin Wallstrom is credited all season and then Tyrell doesn't show up until the season finale :allears:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
He was in the dream sequence last week.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You knew I meant real Tyrell :colbert:

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Toplowtech posted:

Does anyone got a capture of the "urgent hit" page that flash on screen when Eliot check the website? Just to know if it was for the hit against the FBI.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I'm assuming the hit against the FBI was the Dark Army, and those are the dudes in the Dragon Masks in the elevators. I'm not in the "Elliot is in an institution" camp. Those dudes pulled him out of his Moms home and beat the gently caress out of him on the sidewalk. Nothing about that screamed "I've been living in a mental institution." Darlene has no love for her Mom so the "I still don't understand why you did this to yourself" was not in reference to Elliot checking himself into a hospital, it's that he's living with someone she can't stand for more than a few seconds.

Random speculation about the black bars but this is a horrible topic: They're masking identity so it's impossible to tell the real identities of people auctioned off on an underground website, just in case the real families/authorities are looking?

Question: The scene during the "Previously on ..." lead in where White Rose is reading over the documents and speaking in the Mandarin everyone had a problem with. Where was s/he? Either White Rose is the worst kept secret in China and all those guys are cool with the a key member of government being the leader of a terrorist hacker group or she only messes around with genders when she's in the States? It was such a weird uneasy scene.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I'm not surprised. What better way to get the best Intel.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

hatelull posted:

Question: The scene during the "Previously on ..." lead in where White Rose is reading over the documents and speaking in the Mandarin everyone had a problem with. Where was s/he? Either White Rose is the worst kept secret in China and all those guys are cool with the a key member of government being the leader of a terrorist hacker group or she only messes around with genders when she's in the States? It was such a weird uneasy scene.

I'm 99% certain it was the same room she takes Dom to in this episode.

Now for some crazy speculation that's almost certainly not the case: Tyrell may be alive, but the gifts and phone calls Joanna keeps getting are actually from Scott Knowles or someone else from Evil Corp hoping she'll say something incriminating over the phone and/or just to mess with her for revenge.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

hatelull posted:

I'm assuming the hit against the FBI was the Dark Army, and those are the dudes in the Dragon Masks in the elevators. I'm not in the "Elliot is in an institution" camp. Those dudes pulled him out of his Moms home and beat the gently caress out of him on the sidewalk. Nothing about that screamed "I've been living in a mental institution." Darlene has no love for her Mom so the "I still don't understand why you did this to yourself" was not in reference to Elliot checking himself into a hospital, it's that he's living with someone she can't stand for more than a few seconds.

Random speculation about the black bars but this is a horrible topic: They're masking identity so it's impossible to tell the real identities of people auctioned off on an underground website, just in case the real families/authorities are looking?

I think the minister of security would be capable of keeping a secret within the country they have major power in. Same with keeping certain illicit activities accessible and understood only by trusted confidantes / major power brokers

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

What y'all think about WhiteRoses spiel about alternative realities, other versions of one's self and a timeline where 5/9 never occurred? Was this just more quirky characterization for the already bizarre nemesis or do you think the show is actually inching toward exploring these ideas more explicitly? We've had a bunch of shows recently that seem bring us to some sort of supernatural/philosophical brink yet refrain immediately after crossing the threshold of realism (True Detective, Fargo).

Ever since Mr.Robot had that flashback where Romero describe the arcade as some sort of "Vortex of Evil" I've been wondering how far there going to go with potentially supernatural inter-dimensional poo poo. It will probably be just something the character's mention in passing.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Tor Browser has many changes to it so that each user will appear to be the same, to make it harder to distinguish an individual user using browser fingerprinting. Using Tor through a standard browser is a really, very silly thing to do. Especially if you're running a human-trafficking darknet site :ohdear:, it would be fun if this detail came back to bite them later on but it's more likely just an oversight.

And yeah, that onion site doesn't exist, which is weird because they deliberately showed him slowly typing it in and paused on it for a bit like they wanted people to see it and try it.

Also, to nitpick, that lock icon shouldn't be there (not to mention the https visible in the url later on).

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Elliot's family is from New Jersey. Where he currently is seems to be New York, right? That makes me think he's not with his mom.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Surprisingly Dope posted:

Elliot's family is from New Jersey. Where he currently is seems to be New York, right? That makes me think he's not with his mom.

They had to move because of the chemical plant, remember.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

crowoutofcontext posted:

What y'all think about WhiteRoses spiel about alternative realities, other versions of one's self and a timeline where 5/9 never occurred? Was this just more quirky characterization for the already bizarre nemesis or do you think the show is actually inching toward exploring these ideas more explicitly? We've had a bunch of shows recently that seem bring us to some sort of supernatural/philosophical brink yet refrain immediately after crossing the threshold of realism (True Detective, Fargo).

Ever since Mr.Robot had that flashback where Romero describe the arcade as some sort of "Vortex of Evil" I've been wondering how far there going to go with potentially supernatural inter-dimensional poo poo. It will probably be just something the character's mention in passing.

I think that was more about white Rose's gender identity and probably a commentary on China's views on such said identities than anything like true detective.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Didn't see this mentioned yet but it was kind of interesting how Dom kept on using non gender specific words to describe her past relationship.

Also something that kind of brings me out of the episode is that it's supposed to be June (specifically June 26th going by the TV in the bar) but nobody seems dressed for Summer.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Skizzzer posted:

I think that was more about white Rose's gender identity and probably a commentary on China's views on such said identities than anything like true detective.

Yeah, I think the takeaway from that scene was this: WhiteRose is saying that, if 5/9 hadn't happened, he'd have a lot more free time for his crossdressing, which is also why he started to get a bit emotional. We know that he's motivated when it comes to putting an end to this because it's standing in the way of letting him/her be his/her true self.

When we were first introduced to Dom and she was chatting it up with the dry cleaners, I think that scene was meant to establish that Dom has an incredible, almost super human ability to get people to connect with her and open up to her, which is what makes her such a drat good FBI agent. I think she was starting to pick up on some of the subtle messages that Dom was putting down and asked just the right questions to get him to open up to her.

Unfortunately I think later he realized that he'd said too much and knew that Dom would find out that he doesn't have a sister, hence the hit on the FBI that was ordered.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm feeling quite underwhelmed this season. There's so much time dedicated to building suspense but there's just no story to back it up. The characters are just kind of meandering around without goals right now and it's getting super tiring.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

timp posted:

Unfortunately I think later he realized that he'd said too much and knew that Dom would find out that he doesn't have a sister, hence the hit on the FBI that was ordered.

crazy dumb if that's the case.

i don't even want to imagine the fallout from having even a single FBI agent murdered while abroad, much less an outright assault while under the protection of the Chinese government.

that's the sort of poo poo that leads to wars.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

timp posted:

No the FBi asked for intel on the dark army. That's when white rose decided to have a hit and it's probably why she revealed that much to Dom, because he believed she was going to die anyway. "I can sorta talk about who i am to the gal that's going to be dead in a few hours, right?" Despite Darlene being afraid the dark army will kill them to keep themselves safe, i feel like the plot is going to unravel on the Chinese side.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 5, 2016

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Are we supposed to know who the guy that Joanna had drugged then killed was? I know he was in the previous episode, but was he in it before that?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Are we supposed to know who the guy that Joanna had drugged then killed was? I know he was in the previous episode, but was he in it before that?

He was the parking attendant who found Elliott sleeping in the car after the hack.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Skizzzer posted:

Really? I thought it was because she was growing to like Dom and felt bad about setting her up along with all the FBI people.

The whole "What if 5/9 never happened?" only seems about her gender identity on surface, the real implication being "If 5/9 never happened I wouldn't have to murder you."

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

JazzFlight posted:

I'm feeling quite underwhelmed this season. There's so much time dedicated to building suspense but there's just no story to back it up. The characters are just kind of meandering around without goals right now and it's getting super tiring.

It's very different to the first season. I love the paranoia of all the characters - the feeling that the audience is being deliberately kept in the dark on major plot points really works well with all the main characters being in danger in multiple ways. As much as I want to scoff at the mental institution theories there is reasonable doubt that what we are seeing is actually happening the way it is presented, particularly given the 'twist' of the first season and his monologue at the start of this one. It's all well-paced and not rushing to a conclusion. Loving it.

I particularly like the new FBI lady, we know very little about her so far. Feel like she could end up in cahoots with the hackers - perhaps she comes to see that the 'disgust' she feels is better directed upwards than down at the people she's hunting. Although this is less likely with the end of the last ep.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Why is everyone calling whiterose a cross dresser? He explicitly said those clothes belong to his sister, so it's obviously the case that they are identical twins and just haven't had a scene together yet. Why do people insist on crazy theories that the show doesn't support?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Chadzok posted:

It's very different to the first season. I love the paranoia of all the characters - the feeling that the audience is being deliberately kept in the dark on major plot points really works well with all the main characters being in danger in multiple ways. As much as I want to scoff at the mental institution theories there is reasonable doubt that what we are seeing is actually happening the way it is presented, particularly given the 'twist' of the first season and his monologue at the start of this one. It's all well-paced and not rushing to a conclusion. Loving it.

I particularly like the new FBI lady, we know very little about her so far. Feel like she could end up in cahoots with the hackers - perhaps she comes to see that the 'disgust' she feels is better directed upwards than down at the people she's hunting. Although this is less likely with the end of the last ep.

I agree with all this. Im loving this season. The one thing that bugs me a bit is that they talk about the 5/9 like a huge event that broke the world, but then that's not what we see. Most of the time everything seems to be going on like always

Also, after this ep Ive jumped off the institution boat. There's Darlene apparently talinkg about their mother and, more importantly, its really hard to make sense of Ray and the final scene in thew episode this context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

Why is everyone calling whiterose a cross dresser? He explicitly said those clothes belong to his sister, so it's obviously the case that they are identical twins and just haven't had a scene together yet. Why do people insist on crazy theories that the show doesn't support?

You might want to be careful with joke theories because some people will go "Hey, that's right" and go with it. Which is what caused the stupid, stupid Elliot is Tyrell theory.

• Locked thread