Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Known bug with the last CU apparently. If for some reason you run into this and want Cortana back:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search

Change BingSearchEnabled to 1.

Had to do this, and yes it did fix Cortana. Now I get sweet sweet android notifications in windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

redeyes posted:

Had to do this, and yes it did fix Cortana. Now I get sweet sweet android notifications in windows.

How useful are they? Could I drop Join, which I mainly use ti text from my computer?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

HalloKitty posted:

It's absolutely instant compared to using any iteration of the start menu.
You not running an SSD? I wouldn't fault start menu search on its speed (virtually instantaneous, at least for programs), as much as its lack of whatever adaptive filtering Launchy does that more consistently returns your intended result at the top of the list (it instead seems to boost Windows store apps, because reasons).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So I'm a PC user at a Mac/Linux company and my suffering is basically equivalent to religious persecution

and since the anniversary update came out I've been trying to run our scripts (particularly Gradle) on the new Windows Bash shell, but as soon as it gets to any part of any task that uses Java it just kinda hangs forever with no error output or anything. Is this a common issue, and if so is there a fix, or is there just something borked with my Java configuration? Google is remarkably unhelpful about anything to do with the Windows Bash shell.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Cugel the Clever posted:

You not running an SSD? I wouldn't fault start menu search on its speed (virtually instantaneous, at least for programs), as much as its lack of whatever adaptive filtering Launchy does that more consistently returns your intended result at the top of the list (it instead seems to boost Windows store apps, because reasons).
The start menu can be laggy as hell even with an SSD. And I absolutely fault the start menu on its search speed and effectiveness. Windows 10 fixed the bad UI from 8, but introduced more problems in the search capabilities and responsiveness.

I'd love to stop using a 3rd party start menu replacement/launcher, but man, Microsoft just can't seem to get the Start Menu back to working as well as it did in 7. And to be clear, I don't care about the UI as long as it's not full-screen. I don't set my current menu replacement to look just like 7 did. I just need it to be super fast and very reliable. I want to hit the windows key, type 2 letters, and hit enter and have the right program launch, all without me having to pay attention to the menu itself. "Did it open? Am I typing into nothing while it lags? Did it miss the first couple characters? Did it fail to do a correct partial match?"

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

loquacius posted:

So I'm a PC user at a Mac/Linux company and my suffering is basically equivalent to religious persecution

and since the anniversary update came out I've been trying to run our scripts (particularly Gradle) on the new Windows Bash shell, but as soon as it gets to any part of any task that uses Java it just kinda hangs forever with no error output or anything. Is this a common issue, and if so is there a fix, or is there just something borked with my Java configuration? Google is remarkably unhelpful about anything to do with the Windows Bash shell.

https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/746

Java issue is known and they have labelled it as "Fix In-Bound". So, hopefully, that'll get fixed sometime soon.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hooah posted:

How useful are they? Could I drop Join, which I mainly use ti text from my computer?

I am no expert in this area but they are pretty useful.. They allow you to respond to SMS and of course notify you of anything that an Android app is sending a notification to the phone.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Cugel the Clever posted:

Yes, been running SSDs for ages. I'm still on 7 myself, but Launchy is just faster than the start menu search, and filters quicker based on the things I've launched before with say, a single letter.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
After the Win 10 update installed successfully, I manually installed an update to Avast Antivirus, and when it restarted the system, the computer would bluescreen during Windows startup, reset, and repeat erroring out and restarting. Trying to have Windows fix the problem itself didn't do anything, but when I booted into safe mode and uninstalled Avast, Windows would start normally again. Is there some known issue between Avast and this Windows update, or did I come across some one-in-a-million problem?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
After win 10 update Microsoft decided i didn't need chipset drivers and replaced them all with Microsoft default drivers from 2006, bluescreened 10 minutes in after first boot. In device manager i was able to restore some of them using update driver, but others not at all, had to do some googling to find the sata driver and extract it off an amd installer.

Great experience overall, i am sure this would be something an average user would deal with without any issues.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

HalloKitty posted:

and filters quicker based on the things I've launched before with say, a single letter.

This for me is what really sets Launchy apart from anything I've seen the Start menu search do. Launchy learns what I mean why I type a given character or two, whereas the Start menu always seems to return the same alphabetical list of hits. To be fair, I've been using Launchy almost exclusively since XP, so maybe if I gave the Start menu some time it would do the same thing?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Celexi posted:

After win 10 update Microsoft decided i didn't need chipset drivers and replaced them all with Microsoft default drivers from 2006, bluescreened 10 minutes in after first boot. In device manager i was able to restore some of them using update driver, but others not at all, had to do some googling to find the sata driver and extract it off an amd installer.

Great experience overall, i am sure this would be something an average user would deal with without any issues.
Just wait until it happens again.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The new UAC window is weird, primarily because it doesn't use your theme colour. I guess they want it to be noticeable?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Yup.

Expert Judgment on Markers to Deter Inadvertent Human Intrusion into the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant posted:

This place is a message and part of a system of messages.

Pay attention to it!

Actually it does use your theme color for all one pixels of the message border.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Factor Mystic posted:

https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues is a good place to stay up to date on WSL developments & techniques to get GUIs working. https://github.com/Microsoft/CommandLine-Documentation/releases is a good place to subscribe to for WSL changelogs.

That sounds like the github for me; I love to bash on Windows.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

A good poster posted:

After the Win 10 update installed successfully, I manually installed an update to Avast Antivirus
While I unfortunately do not have a solution for the problem you are encountering, I hope it would be helpful to point out for the future that the increasingly prevailing sentiment in the infosec community is that consumer antivirus does more harm than good from a security standpoint and that the default Windows Defender does a better job protecting your computer without providing malware an additional avenue of attack.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
That, and I recall reading there have been a ton of issues with Avast and Windows 10 in general. When I first upgraded to Win10, I was looking into a new antivirus at the time to see if there a reason to switch off of Defender, and all my searches turned up a bunch of info that Avast was messing with Windows 10 in numerous ways.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I'm not sure if I'm going insane or not, but:
After I installed the Windows 10 anniversary update the tray icons (+ show desktop) appear only on my main display. Was/is it possible to have them show on all monitors? I've dug through what I think was every setting and I can't find anything. At best I can have the calendar duplicated. At this point I'm not even sure if I imagined this being possible or not.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Avast! was a major trigger for the start menu hangs people were facing pre-1511 and has generally been poor on win 10.

Plus, what people above said about AV in general. Defender is actually OK, ignore sponsored blog posts that point you to poor test scores from 2014

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Khablam posted:

ignore sponsored blog posts that point you to poor test scores from 2014

Bu.... but -**_StinkHAMMER_69_**- on testfreekz.com said I needed to use 47 different anitviruses to keep my 'puter safe.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Yup.

Actually it does use your theme color for all one pixels of the message border.

This place is a message… and part of a system of messages… pay attention to it!Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.

What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Khablam posted:

Avast! was a major trigger for the start menu hangs people were facing pre-1511 and has generally been poor on win 10.

Plus, what people above said about AV in general. Defender is actually OK, ignore sponsored blog posts that point you to poor test scores from 2014

Wait it got good again? Was this after 10 came out? I thought it was on a slide the further it got from the old Giant product.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Never mind

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've uninstalled Avast, but I can't turn on Defender - an error message pops up after a couple of seconds saying the service has been turned off, and Defender itself says that another AV is handling protection. Any idea how I can fix that? I've run CCleaner and disk cleanup to try to hoover up any stray files and restarted the system, but nothing so far.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Ugh, of course you guys say all this after I install Avast. :doh:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've uninstalled Avast, but I can't turn on Defender - an error message pops up after a couple of seconds saying the service has been turned off, and Defender itself says that another AV is handling protection. Any idea how I can fix that? I've run CCleaner and disk cleanup to try to hoover up any stray files and restarted the system, but nothing so far.

Do you have any other sort of anti-virus/anti-malware/firewall installed? A lot of firewall/anti-virus/anti-malware programs turn off Win10's native protection programs, and Win10 won't let them be reenabled while the other programs are still installed.

Also check the Services window to see if the Defender services are running. You can also see if Defender has been disabled through the Group Policy Editor. Can't remember the exact steps for that one, but a quick Google search will show you how.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I somehow can't get Cortana to turn back on on my desktop. I wanted to try out the Android notification mirroring, but Cortana now seems to just be a glorified search thing instead of an assistant.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

hooah posted:

I somehow can't get Cortana to turn back on on my desktop. I wanted to try out the Android notification mirroring, but Cortana now seems to just be a glorified search thing instead of an assistant.

What thing did you turn off

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
If I'd remembered, I would have turned it back on. I'm looking for locations of things I might have toggled many months ago. I don't believe I did anything with the registry or the command line.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
if you have a Education version, cortana was turned off by mictrosoft. someone in their PR dept realized the optics of serving ads to school kids was terrible. (especially if they were to show inappropriate ones because some kid searched for naughty stuff one time while the teacher wasn't there.) so they've disabled cortana until they figure out how to make it not show ads*.

*translation = until they can figure out how to hide the change deep enough that everyone else won't just copy the bit that stops ads from showing up

Otherwise you have something going wrong, and win10 troubleshooting seems to be "turn settings on and off until it works". Other people upthread have said turning bing search back on helped. The last big update some people had to create new user profiles to fix broken stuff.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Any idea how I can remove "3D print with 3D Builder" from the context menu for image files? Uninstalling it didn't help.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

HMS Boromir posted:

Any idea how I can remove "3D print with 3D Builder" from the context menu for image files? Uninstalling it didn't help.
Use ShellExView.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Just manually delete registry entries. they're in:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.bmp\Shell\T3D Print
(.jpg, .png, etc)

SystemFileAssociations is also where you will find lots of other useless junk for the context menu, like setting images as the desktop background or casting audio & video.

Unfortunately it looks like win10 will be resetting edits to Classes with every major update which will kinda suck.

this one isn't a shellex, it's just a regular shell command. but stored in a different place.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 5, 2016

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!
Okay so I have an empty folder in this path: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_1e985103ceaab421

and I can't delete it. Is there some regedit magic I can do to make this happen?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Klyith posted:

(.jpg, .png, etc)

SystemFileAssociations is also where you will find lots of other useless junk for the context menu, like setting images as the desktop background or casting audio & video.

Thanks.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It doesn't properly uninstall leaving windows to assume it's running, and defender won't start. You need to grab their removal tool and run it. Pick every product and hit remove just in case.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

sarr posted:

Okay so I have an empty folder in this path: C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_1e985103ceaab421

and I can't delete it. Is there some regedit magic I can do to make this happen?
you can't delete it because it is in use, or because windows won't give you permission? if the first you need to try a reboot cycle, or reinstall nvidia drivers because for some reason they're still looking at windows.old which is not the place for them.

if the second, you need to take ownership of the folder:

properties -> security tab -> advanced button
at the top where it says Owner: TrustedInstaller*, click the blue text for Change
type in your own user name in the box, click Check Names to make sure it's right, then click OK. make sure the box "replace owner on subcontainers" is checked.
OK all the things
now you can delete it.

with this power you can delete anything, including stuff that will make your computer not work. use it wisely.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

HMS Boromir posted:

Yo http://defaultprogramseditor.com

Klyith posted:

(.jpg, .png, etc)

Unfortunately it looks like win10 will be resetting edits to Classes with every major update which will kinda suck.

this one isn't a shellex, it's just a regular shell command. but stored in a different place.

Deleting from HKCR will retain HKCU changes, iirc. Also DPE takes care of all of this.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Arsten posted:

https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/746

Java issue is known and they have labelled it as "Fix In-Bound". So, hopefully, that'll get fixed sometime soon.

I'm glad to hear that but I'm kind of annoyed it's tied to windows updates because I don't want to put my work PC on an Insider ring so it restarts itself all the loving time and I don't want to have to wait for Redstone 2 to run Java programs from the Linux shell. Hopefully it sneaks into a minor update somewhere along the way before the year is out but I'm not holding my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I realized that I don't have a Windows 10 recovery flash drive. Is there a best way I should be using regarding making one? Are there any other things I should be doing that aren't default to protect against losing my install?