Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Groogy posted:

Things you can also think about (don't think this is the case right now but when I was building my computer it was a big issue) is what memory, what cpu and what chipset you combine together. I think it was Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge at the time that you could choose for your Intel CPU's and if you combined certain chipset with fast enough memory (higher than 1866hz I think it was) the Sandy Bridge CPU had to clock down it's speed for reasons I don't remember anymore*.

Anyway point being, higher end components != faster computer.

*This was 4 years ago and I have forgotten most of this so I am probably butchering/simplifying what is actually going on and this specific issue you can run into probably isn't valid anymore. Point should still stand that just slapping on some components won't necessarily make your computer better.

You talking about front side bus speeds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
I don't remember, it was something about the architecture of Sandy Bridge wasn't done/optimized for something specific and it had to synch with something I don't remember what. The end result was that the Sandy Bridge CPU would clock down itself to synch with that specific thing which was caused by too fast memory frequency.

I really don't remember anything about the details, I just remember it was part of my decision making between an i7 Sandy Bridge or an i5 Ivy Bridge.

e: Also I believe Front Side Bus architecture got replaced by DMI on Intel Chipsets if I remember correctly sometime around 2010?

Groogy fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 4, 2016

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

zedprime posted:

I think the rule of thumb ends up being an i5 is just fine. It might get hairy in the final leg of a game if you're the sort who really wants to peg the speed in between events or whatever it is people running on max do.

Haha yeah those silly people playing singleplayer on max speed. Waiting 20 seconds for a month to pass while absolutely nothing happens just makes so much more sense.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Yeah, you got a problem with that?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm still rocking an i5-2500k so HoI 4 gets real slow real fast in 1940

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I am building myself a computer and, obviously, I spend a lot of my time playing nerdy map games. I know a lot of paradox stuff is limited by the CPU, so in that case does it make sense for me to pony up for an i7 6700k or would an i5 6600k still do? Sorry for the technical question, but I thought this was a good place for it since 70% of my gaming is Swedish made!

If any of the rest of that % is Dwarf Fortress then the i7 makes sense, but the i5 is fine for most Paradox purposes.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Hana thanks, gents! I have more money than sense these days and computer parts with big numbers in them always strike me as being better than their alternatives. Thanks for putting me on the straight and narrow!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

edit: wait wrong thread

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 5, 2016

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

are you guys officially back from your vacation yet? because,

Groogy posted:

You really don't know me? I would torch Rome and laugh manically and profess my eternal devotion to Cyrus and Ahura Mazda.

Good idea, should be doable. If I remember it after vacation I'll bring it up

TL: Remind me in 3 weeks because I will need it

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Yeah, that was the "always latest beta" thing right?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I'm still rocking an i5-2500k so HoI 4 gets real slow real fast in 1940

I haven't looked or really thought about CPUs since my new i5-2500k was the top dog price/performance-wise so it's always a shock to remember it's nearly 5 years old. Overclocking to 4.4GHz helps but it might be time to think about an upgrade, especially given how much Kerbal Space Program can chug.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I am building myself a computer and, obviously, I spend a lot of my time playing nerdy map games. I know a lot of paradox stuff is limited by the CPU, so in that case does it make sense for me to pony up for an i7 6700k or would an i5 6600k still do? Sorry for the technical question, but I thought this was a good place for it since 70% of my gaming is Swedish made!

I got an i7-6700k just a few days ago. The advantage is, obviously, that it has a higher base clock speed, but I don't know if that limited boost is worth the price tag to you. Your 6600k should do fine as is. I would definitely try to overclock it, though, I would not say no to free extra processing power when it comes to Paradox games. You should be easily able to overclock it to the 6700k's 4GHz without even changing stock voltage.

RAM speed has also started to become more relevant with recent releases, but I don't know if that applies to Paradox titles. But it's cheap enough that I would recommend springing for DDR4-3000MHz or 3200MHz. That's considered the sweet spot nowadays, you can go for more but it's not recommended price/performance-wise.

^ e: with modern games there's a pretty big difference between the i5-2500k and the higher-end Skylake processors (which also allow for DDR4 RAM at higher speeds), and there aren't any significant improvements around the corner that we know of, so now is actually a really good time to upgrade your processor if you can afford it. Especially if you have one of the new Pascal graphics cards, your CPU has the potential to bottleneck you (contrary to PC gaming conventional wisdom until recently).

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 5, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Who wants some Kaiserreich wallpapers?

Via reddit.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 6, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Now there needs to be a Syndicalist set of wallpapers, with a Frenchman flying the tricolor above the Reichstag.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

Now there needs to be a Syndicalist set of wallpapers, with a Frenchman flying the tricolor above the Reichstag.

According to a comment the artist made in the linked reddit thread, the painting is a propaganda piece picturing the Germans reaching Paris during the Weltkrieg, so it's backstory rather than "what could happen."

Syndicalist propaganda about the revolution would be cool, though.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 6, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Reminds me of Warhammer 40K art, which I suppose is fitting.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
That makes sense given the zeppelins and old timey armored cars.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Getting around to putting the Russian states into the modern mod. I thought Spain, France, and Germany were hard, but this is on a totally different level.

Slowly but surely!

Edit: Just realized this is the general Paradox thread. Leaving it.

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 6, 2016

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
seeing a germany in a paradox game that ends at the oder is offensive to me

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Bitter Mushroom posted:

seeing a germany in a paradox game that ends at the oder is offensive to me

What about 3 Germanies that all end at the Oder

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Enjoy posted:

What about 3 Germanies that all end at the Oder

I'm the Kingdom of Westphalia that doesn't have any provinces in Westphalia. I have also lost the ability to respect anything or feel human from seeing this.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
yeah same really

someone put time and effort into making that image a (virtual) reality

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Someone explain to me why the Slovakia isn't part of Hungary?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Spiderfist Island posted:

I'm the Kingdom of Westphalia that doesn't have any provinces in Westphalia. I have also lost the ability to respect anything or feel human from seeing this.

It's set like a year into a 3-way German Civil War, all the Germanies have cores on each other

Riso posted:

Someone explain to me why the Slovakia isn't part of Hungary?

The Hungarian bits rebelled but the Slovakian bits didn't

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Ofaloaf posted:

The first sketches for a Syndie wallpaper about the revolution in London were posted in the Kaiserreich so you it seems like youll get what you want!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Enjoy posted:

The Hungarian bits rebelled but the Slovakian bits didn't

But the Slovakian bits are historical parts of Hungary..

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Riso posted:

But the Slovakian bits are historical parts of Hungary..

They sided with Austria against Hungary in the 1848 revolutions and those are basically what the 1866 revolutions are in my mod

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Enjoy posted:

They sided with Austria against Hungary in the 1848 revolutions and those are basically what the 1866 revolutions are in my mod

You could've just integrated Westphalia into Austria. Habsburgs wanted Bavaria for ages.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Riso posted:

You could've just integrated Westphalia into Austria. Habsburgs wanted Bavaria for ages.

Habsburgs lost tho

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Chief Savage Man posted:

That makes sense given the zeppelins and old timey armored cars.

I think they are A7V tanks :eng101:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Where the gently caress is Genghis Khan II sitting on a throne made of syndie skulls.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

oscarthewilde posted:

The first sketches for a Syndie wallpaper about the revolution in London were posted in the Kaiserreich so you it seems like youll get what you want!

Is there also a picture of Washington DC in flames between CSA and AUS forces in the plans? They had better be a picture like that planned.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Where the gently caress is Genghis Khan II sitting on a throne made of syndie skulls.

Right here.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

His eyes aren't glowing.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Oh right he needs the hat.

e:

uPen posted:

His eyes aren't glowing.

Done.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 7, 2016

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Groogy posted:

Yeah, that was the "always latest beta" thing right?

Yeah, a steam beta branch that either points to the most recent beta or the most recent stable code, whatever is newest

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Paradox is running a survey that is very interested in RPGs, action RPGs, and what makes them replayable: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/take-our-rpg-survey.962385/

Vampire action RPG confirmed. :tinfoil:

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular

Sindai posted:

Paradox is running a survey that is very interested in RPGs, action RPGs, and what makes them replayable: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/take-our-rpg-survey.962385/

Vampire action RPG confirmed. :tinfoil:

You knew they were going to take another crack at the rpg market after they folded their development project (whatever it was called). Hopefully they learned their lesson and understand that maybe, just maybe a game shouldn't need 2 dlc's to function as intended (looking at you stelaris).

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

You knew they were going to take another crack at the rpg market after they folded their development project (whatever it was called). Hopefully they learned their lesson and understand that maybe, just maybe a game shouldn't need 2 dlc's to function as intended (looking at you stelaris).

Well it's their publishing company that has the WoD stuff, so it's probably going to be given to another dev company with RPG experience, the survey asked about FO:NV and Pillars, Obsidian has been working with Paradox for quite a while now and a couple of the people from Troika are working at Obsidian.

I'd worry more about the Obsidian curse than Pdox DLC policy.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
How about an RPG based on the Malazan books, that would be sweet.

Hundreds upon hundreds of DLC's.