Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

the partners in rev1 were mostly cosmetic. they didn't do any damage and enemies mostly ignored them, so they were really just someone to talk to. i think that re5 could have used a similar system when you were playing it solo.

The AI in Rev1 definitely does damage, I'm actually playing through it again right now and they killed at least a few enemies. Getting them to actually shoot is another thing. That said, yeah, they're mostly there for show (or because perhaps the game was supposed to be co-op at some point).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm happy I never played RE5 without a human partner, the one I did I started on veteran and couldn't even get past the first area with the big firefight after your handler gets killed.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

RE5 with Professional AI was pure torture. I didn't know about the trick with Wesker fights to shoot the RPG and blow it up as he's doing his Matrix poo poo with it, so I had to devise some insane strategy of running in circles around Jill so Sheva would take potshots at Wesker as they both chased me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't get why they got so hung up on the partner thing. If they wanted to make it a co op thing cool, co op is fun, but ever since RE5 they have been so insistent on sticking an ai in there that ranges from pointless to sabotaging. Like, why can't I just play RE alone if I'm alone?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Online co-op was the new big popular thing when RE 5 was in development and Capcom is forever chasing that and I guess a minimal AI partner was less effort than rebalancing it for one player on their own.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
For re5, it actually feels like an integral part of the game. For RE 6, I don't know. There are parts in that game where certain characters are given gently caress all to do. One of the Leon fights come to mind.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
agent is cool and strong and he is my friend

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Sakurazuka posted:

Online co-op was the new big popular thing when RE 5 was in development and Capcom is forever chasing that and I guess a minimal AI partner was less effort than rebalancing it for one player on their own.

It's also still a game people bring up all the time when they ask about fun co-op experiences.

I remember that was a big complaint a lot of people used to field about half the games that came out in the 2006-2009 window: this would be great with co-op.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

At least the partners in RE6 are invincible and have infinite ammo. Or at least I think they are, I've never had them die on me in solo play whereas in RE5, Sheva has died to quite a few instant kill attacks because she thinks charging at the crazy chainsaw man with a handgun and a knife is a good idea.

I enjoy RE5 but only in co-op in retrospect. Solo play is miserable and I'd rather go through the worst parts of RE6's campaigns again that go through RE5 solo on professional.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I really enjoyed RE5's melee moves compared to RE4 and thought its combat was generally more fun but playing SP on higher difficulties is a pain in the rear end with the AI partner. I got used to being able to handle things really quick after a spell of playing nonstop mercenaries but still it was kinda annoying.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
The AI in 6 can in fact die to some instant kill triggers, found this out during Leon's first chapter when Helena got too close to the crash zone when the ambulance crashes into the gas station.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Fuuuuck any game with exploding zombies.

I'm really hard pressed to think of any sections in Resident Evil 4 that isn't fun in some way. I've played it countless, COUNTLESS times so if there are any sections I'm hard pressed to recall them because they're so buried beneath the sheer fun and adventurousness of the rest of the game.

The bosses were so great too. That's another thing I was put off by with 5. You had a giant bat and a giant moth and a giant spider-thing? I dunno, even the weird giant poo poo you fight just never enraptured my imagination as much as the Plagas stuff.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The plagas and whatever they replaced them with in 5 were a necessary response because the zombies of the previous games were extremely non threatening and the way Outbreak(especially file 2) had to have the zombies gain bursts of extreme speed to make them threatening showed how weak that enemy concept was.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

agent is cool and strong and he is my friend

Agent wasn't in the game at launch. Ada was the only solo person but then the internet flipped poo poo and Capcom patched in Agent just to shut them up.

Of course then they bitched about Agent not being fully integrated like all the other partners were.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Len posted:

Agent wasn't in the game at launch. Ada was the only solo person but then the internet flipped poo poo and Capcom patched in Agent just to shut them up.

Of course then they bitched about Agent not being fully integrated like all the other partners were.

he could give a thumbs up repeatedly while ada interacted with stuff. what more do you need?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ryoga posted:

The AI in 6 can in fact die to some instant kill triggers, found this out during Leon's first chapter when Helena got too close to the crash zone when the ambulance crashes into the gas station.

Haha yeah that crazy AI no one real could get killed two or three times in a row at that bit.

Or four.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

That's really odd, the AI has never died in any of my RE6 playthroughs. Ever. So the AI must be at least better than RE5's AI because Sheva dies all the drat time. Either that or I'm stupidly lucky in RE6.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
If you want to see dumbfuck AI try Outbreak.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
So if RE:2 was probably my favorite RE and last one in the series I played all the way through (I may have played RE4 but I think the whole Las Plagas story arc is loving stupid), what would be a good one to play now? I guess I want to avoid retarded AI horse poo poo cause I play alone.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
all of the re stories are stupid as hell. that and shooting things are the only constants the series has. for modern games without coop, the only options are revelations 1&2.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
Is anyone looking forward to Resident Evil 7. I watched a few people play the teaser and it looks pretty good. I am worried it's gonna be one of those stupid interactive movies like Until Dawn though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, there is no reason to think that. it may or may not be good, but there will absolutely be gameplay including shooting stuff.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Panzeh posted:

Oh, that has terrible AI too. I generally ignore them when playing solo though. Someone is guaranteed to die before the end of the episode.

Edit:

karn1635 posted:

Is anyone looking forward to Resident Evil 7. I watched a few people play the teaser and it looks pretty good. I am worried it's gonna be one of those stupid interactive movies like Until Dawn though.

We already know it'll have combat, which the teaser doesn't have. It's not an interactive movie or a run and hide simulator like Outlast or Amnesia.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

uh, there is no reason to think that. it may or may not be good, but there will absolutely be gameplay including shooting stuff.

I only remember seeing walking around and interacting with stuff. I don't remember seeing any combat or anything. Unless I watched the trailer for something else.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

karn1635 posted:

I only remember seeing walking around and interacting with stuff. I don't remember seeing any combat or anything. Unless I watched the trailer for something else.

the teaser is just a teaser. it isn't part of the actual game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well even in the teaser, there's an axe you can pick up and swing around at will if you're diligent enough in solving puzzles. No enemies to use it on though, but that's a pretty big indicator there will be combat in the main game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm still hoping you can react to ghosts popping out in spooky ways by suplexing them

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

i'm still hoping you can react to ghosts popping out in spooky ways by suplexing them

Holy poo poo is that a loving thing?

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well even in the teaser, there's an axe you can pick up and swing around at will if you're diligent enough in solving puzzles. No enemies to use it on though, but that's a pretty big indicator there will be combat in the main game.

Ah I didn't see the axe part in the teasers I watched. I'm too lazy to play it myself. I did play the FFXV demo and I am both excited that game is gonna be awesome and sad that it is going to suffer terrible Frame Rate drops constantly.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Panzeh posted:

The plagas and whatever they replaced them with in 5 were a necessary response because the zombies of the previous games were extremely non threatening and the way Outbreak(especially file 2) had to have the zombies gain bursts of extreme speed to make them threatening showed how weak that enemy concept was.
I agree with your assessment of why they replaced them, but I don't think the classic zombies have to be non threatening, even assuming similarly armed protagonists. They'd definitely need to expand the basic idea of what they do beyond "Sit around and wait for someone to bite, then shuffle toward them while getting shot" though. Like if zombies made up for being kinda slow with having real strong grips, so if you character got caught by them you basically had to chop their arm off or kill them outright to escape, and then had zombies not just sitting around but rather wander around and be attracted to sound and light, meaning you could suddenly find yourself completely surrounded by zombies you had inadvertently lured to your location. Basically, how they seem to behave in cut scenes.

Obviously that approach would work best in a game where you remain in the same general location, as opposed to the more linear progression of locales of the modern games. It'd probably work fine for something like a RE3 remake, especially since you'd combine not getting boxed in by zombies with Nemesis possibly showing up at any time. Thinking about it, the zombies I'm describing here are sort of a mix between an enemy and an environmental hazard.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Panzeh posted:

This reminds me in File #2 where Desperate Times on Nightmare was practically impossible unless you strategically get the AI killed in the courtyard and use their corpses as item boxes for the siege.

Honestly, that's their only use when alive too, as mobile item boxes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

blackguy32 posted:

For re5, it actually feels like an integral part of the game. For RE 6, I don't know. There are parts in that game where certain characters are given gently caress all to do. One of the Leon fights come to mind.

When I got the game first, I played Helena first. When I got to the chapter where Helena is thrown into one floor of an apartment building and Leon fights thrilling Dino battle in between two skyscrapers, I was not equipped for long range, ran out of ammo and had nothing to do but kick the occasional zombie while Leon played tag with a T-rex.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

karn1635 posted:

Holy poo poo is that a loving thing?

Off-tangent but it is in Skyrim. Once they added takedown animations for everything you could hand-to-hand a ghost and chokeslam them and poo poo. P. Funny.

But as for suplexing ghosts in Resi 7... Probably not unless there's a raid/merc mode where you play as Leon. :black101:

Was it ever explained why all of a sudden he goes full WWF on monks when the regular plebs just got roundhoused?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lotish posted:

When I got the game first, I played Helena first. When I got to the chapter where Helena is thrown into one floor of an apartment building and Leon fights thrilling Dino battle in between two skyscrapers, I was not equipped for long range, ran out of ammo and had nothing to do but kick the occasional zombie while Leon played tag with a T-rex.

All of the crossover boss fights in RE6 were a bad idea. Theoretically you're supposed to do them with 2 other players playing as the other two characters but in practice means you're not dealing with 1 AI partner but 2 or 3.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Panzeh posted:

If you want to make slow zombies threatening, you just gotta have lots of them, like zombies would attack the players in groups of like 6 or 7, moving erraticly and irregularly so aiming for the head isn't piss easy. There would be several groups, coming from different directions, with few chokepoints available in the "arena" (because capcom really like that concept), and if you get grappled by more than 2 or 3 zombies at the same time, they fall on top of you and start eating, game over man. But the main problem with that approach is that you need 1) a lot of models for zombies and quality animations so it doesn't look jarring, which that takes ressources and 2) lots of computing power (remember how having more than 3 zombies on screen at a time was a huge breakthrough in RE2?).

Then you could spice up the fights with Hunters jumping around being fast and dangerous but predictable enemies, lickers flanking unnatentive players and either inflicting high damage to players or immobilising them with their tongues (they can do that, can't they?) and all kind of Tyrant types soaking up bullets.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I want to RKO a ghost.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

All of the crossover boss fights in RE6 were a bad idea. Theoretically you're supposed to do them with 2 other players playing as the other two characters but in practice means you're not dealing with 1 AI partner but 2 or 3.

Did that feature every really work for anyone? I think me and my partner wound up getting connected to other players like, twice in the entire campaign. One of which times the other two were clearly Japanese and quickly lagged out / disconnected.

Every other time it just spun its wheels for a while and then gave us AI partners.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Drunken Baker posted:

Was it ever explained why all of a sudden he goes full WWF on monks when the regular plebs just got roundhoused?

I was going to suggest that Leon's jacket he wears at the start of the game was made out of super-heavy DBZ training material so once he takes it of he can use his true power, but I guess he loses it before the castle section .

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Also i wonder if we'll ever get to a point where they remake games in VR, like at some point they'd tried to port RE4 to Rift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They also flat out said there will be combat in RE7.