Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

If you upgrade the Seamoth with the defensive system, does it function in a radius around the Seamoth so you can park it and keep an area safe? There's a wreckage where I need to cut open a door but it's guarded by two Stalkers.

Also, I've been to afraid to try, does depth do damage to yourself? I have the depth upgrade for the Seamoth, if I dive to 300 m and get out will I get squished by the pressure? I got out for a short wile at around 200 m once and the depth indicator was red but it didn't seem to do anything.
The Defense System is activated and works as a giant pulse. Holding down the trigger increases the radius and potency of the electric pulse, up to around 25% of a cell for maximum 'gently caress YOU SEA SATAN!'

At the moment there is no depth damage to yourself because your swimsuit is magical super-science. You will take damage by virtue of your Seamoth blowing up but that's it.

Also be pretty thorough with checking out wrecks. Every instance of cutting open a door I've found simply makes it easier to get around/into and out of a wreck rather than being strictly required. (Sometimes you might need the grav gun to get your other option but there's always another option.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Solid Poopsnake posted:

For some reason, your soft, fragile human body is incompressible.

To that end, I am considering building a station below the DSL as soon as I find enough bits and bobs to bring submersibles down there.

What's the dsl?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Also, a random question: is there any useful purpose for the air pipes you can make?

I built pipes down two deep caves into the Jelly Mushroom Zone before I ever found the submarine parts. If you don't have (or for whatever reason don't want to use) the Seamoth or Cyclops pipes let you go deeper then you can on a half a tank of air.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Alright, thanks. I'll start exploring deep caves then, using the Seamoth as a mobile base.

Away all Goats posted:

You won't take damage from depth, only your vehicles do. However keep in mind that if you dive below 200 meters without a rebreather you will consume oxygen quicker.

Ah, so that's what the rebreather is for. The description is a bit unclear.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

double nine posted:

What's the dsl?

The deep scattering layer. Though on the Subnautica planet, it seems to occur closer to 150m down than 300+. Still, crushing depth, haunting darkness, gently caress yeah.

E: Actually, what's the maximum depth with flat land to build on? Wanna get deep.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Experimental subscribers, beware. There was just an update and uh this might be a problem.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
deleted

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 30, 2022

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

I built pipes down two deep caves into the Jelly Mushroom Zone before I ever found the submarine parts.
I'm guessing it can't be done since there seems to be only one "sea level" in the game, but since these are already magical "screw physics" pipes, it'd be cool to snake them into a cave part with a solid roof and let them create a large air pocket.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I really wish the dive reel could be fastened to wreck walls. I don't die often, but when I do it's usually because I got turned around in a big wreck. I'd love to be able to explore them more methodically, and a reel would help with that, both in a practical and in an immersion sense.

Also GOOD GRAVY GIMME MY EXOSUIT UPDATE ALREADYYYYY

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Trustworthy posted:

I really wish the dive reel could be fastened to wreck walls. I don't die often, but when I do it's usually because I got turned around in a big wreck. I'd love to be able to explore them more methodically, and a reel would help with that, both in a practical and in an immersion sense.

Also GOOD GRAVY GIMME MY EXOSUIT UPDATE ALREADYYYYY

Can you attach it to the ground, maybe? I still can't load a goddamned saved game so I can't test it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Bring a seaglide too since big wrecks tend to have some weird effect on slowing movement down when you're in/near them. I haven't had need of a dive reel (I have good visual memory and navigation skills) but that's what's killed me most when exploring the larger wrecks.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Can you attach it to the ground, maybe? I still can't load a goddamned saved game so I can't test it.

From my limited testing, no. It'll only latch onto natural surfaces. Wreck floors, walls, ceilings, etc., are all off limits.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 29, 2016

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
An update was just posted in the experimental build that fixes the savegame selection issue. Hooray!

E: Just another day at the office.

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 31, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Big updates to the Aurora, there are now a lot more explorable rooms and corridors with parts gated by keycodes and obstacles you need certain tools to get past, as well as posters, scannable furniture, and the spot where we'll likely get the exosuit fragments.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The update is finally out? Or is this another experimental?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The update is finally out? Or is this another experimental?

Still just experimental. Unless it just patched without me noticing without any news updates since July 6th, at least.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Hey, is there any known way to deal with a frequently-crashing Subnautica? My friend just picked this up and he loves it, but it doesn't want to run on his PC if it can avoid it.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

StrangeAeon posted:

Hey, is there any known way to deal with a frequently-crashing Subnautica? My friend just picked this up and he loves it, but it doesn't want to run on his PC if it can avoid it.

I had been having frequent crashes that I solved by turning down the graphics options to the lowest setting. Game still looks good at the minimum setting. He probably already tried that, but it took me an embarrassingly long time to think of it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So I read the most recent update makes crafting painful and boring, to the extent that the game is significantly less fun? As in, multi-minute wait times to make stuff that used to be nearly instant before.

Seems insane, so I'm not sure I believe it for now, but I haven't played since the update and... uggh, god, I hope it's not true.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/4xdtrm/new_experimental_build_time_nerfs_foreverything/

Seems like the crafting times for some things have gone up a lot. I don't see the point. So I don't get to use a thing for 90 seconds and then it's the same as before.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I can see a reason for it if it was something you could craft under pressure while in a dangerous area, but if you are basically just standing in your habitat waiting for stuff then this is a bad change.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

According to that list, this change seems to be one that's for the sake of realism rather than gameplay, all of the minute+ times are on tools and other large items.

It makes sense why it would take a couple minutes to make something bigger but the only gameplay reason it serves is to slow down the whole loop. Especially the 4 minute build time on the constructor. That's just mean.

Fruit nerf at least supports other game systems (curing and filtering big waters) but this is just going to have people run 2 fabs in their bases rather than 1.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 12, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

EponymousMrYar posted:

According to that list, this change seems to be one that's for the sake of realism rather than gameplay, all of the minute+ times are on tools and other large items.

Changing things for the sake of realism seems especially dumb when the new result is no more realistic than the previous result.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I am okay with this change and the new nuances it will bring to gameplay. :smug:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Trustworthy posted:

I am okay with this change and the new nuances it will bring to gameplay. :smug:

I hope you get eaten by a crab squid.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Craft time changes are loving terrible. Utterly pointless.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Anything that has be standing in my buildings staring at a progress bar rather than being out exploring cool underwater landscapes is a bad move, imo.

Next are we going to have it so you have to hook up air tanks to a pump for five minutes before you can use them again?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Anything that has be standing in my buildings staring at a progress bar rather than being out exploring cool underwater landscapes is a bad move, imo.

Next are we going to have it so you have to hook up air tanks to a pump for five minutes before you can use them again?

What's weird is that longer crafting times would actually work better. Like the battery charges - something that takes enough time to do that you could leave it to do it's thing while you go on another adventure is fine. These changes move a lot of stuff to the utterly horrible middle ground of "takes too long to wait for, doesn't take long enough to justify leaving while it happens".

It's the worst of all possibilities.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I could get crafting times if they were like 20 minutes to an hour and involved multiple machines like in say, Minecraft, for some of the big things like the Seamoth because at least then you have an incentive to go explore while you wait. But 90 seconds is just pointless filler and nothing more than an annoyance.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

waystofleshouta30hourexperience.txt

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Just build more fabs. :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Truga posted:

Just build more fabs. :v:
The kick in the junk is that you have to wait 4 minutes before you can build your first fab, or anything for that matter :v:

After that it is suitably irrelevant though.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Craft time changes are loving terrible. Utterly pointless.

Crafting time by itself is becoming more and more a legacy thing that devs seem to throw in there instead of thinking how it can enhance the experience.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
On the other side is Minecraft, which is living proof you don't need crafting time for a compelling experience. Even most of the mods don't require any time to craft items. Obvious exceptions are pumps and thaumcraft infusion poo poo etc.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ambaire posted:

On the other side is Minecraft, which is living proof you don't need crafting time for a compelling experience. Even most of the mods don't require any time to craft items. Obvious exceptions are pumps and thaumcraft infusion poo poo etc.

Even the stuff that people use that ends up adding crafting time, it's the "stick a stack of this in here, come back in an hour for a stack of that" which at least gives a nice feeling of productive automation in setting up machines that work while you're away - for that sort of stuff, it sets up a kind of rythm or pace, and subnautica sort of has that in the form of growing and breeding and hatching. But these changes don't even fit that sort of approach so who knows wtf they think they are doing.

Edit: Oh god people on the forums are complaining the crafting time sink doesn't apply to buildings too and it should.

gently caress gently caress gently caress

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 12, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Minecraft and Factorio prove all that well enough, if you can improve efficiency in an interesting way then craft timers become a fun game in and of themselves. But if it's just an arbitrary, unchangeable number then it is dumb.

I don't get everyone saying it should apply for the sake of realism. This is a game where you take crystals and chunks of coral and turn them into superconductors because you have magic molecule reassemblers. Who gives a drat about realism when you have sci-fi magic?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Everyone who gives a drat about this should go post in the subnautica forums. The people can influence change if they care enough to involve themselves.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/144325/crafting-speed

Here's the thread. The devs are reading it and posting in it, so yes, please weigh in. Right now the overwhelming chorus is in support of it and even expanding it for the sake of "realism", "exploration" and "loving with impatient people".

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 12, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/144325/crafting-speed

Here's the thread. The devs are reading it and posting in it, so yes, please weigh in. Right now the overwhelming chorus is in support of it and even expanding it for the sake of "realism", "exploration" and "loving with impatient people".

Wow, you weren't kidding. Wanting crafting to be done quickly is "instant gratification" and you can just "go do something else"? There is nothing to do in bases except craft.

Are people wanting to play Sim City or something? I want to find out how much pressure my submarines can tank and see what the bottom of the giant trench on the side of the map looks like, not stare at my breeding aquarium for five minutes while some fish get cooked.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
We're talking 4 minutes maximum. Do you get upset when you have to microwave something for 4 minutes? Because it already took time to get it and put it in the microwave? NO! Or at least you shouldn't, because if you've ever had used a microwave in your life, you know that that amount of time will go by like that. I would love to see how these people handle War Frame, where almost EVERYTHING takes hours and days to build not mere seconds and minutes.

:shrek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Met posted:

We're talking 4 minutes maximum. Do you get upset when you have to microwave something for 4 minutes? Because it already took time to get it and put it in the microwave? NO! Or at least you shouldn't, because if you've ever had used a microwave in your life, you know that that amount of time will go by like that. I would love to see how these people handle War Frame, where almost EVERYTHING takes hours and days to build not mere seconds and minutes.

:shrek:

I almost want to believe that one is an intentional and skilled troll, because it's really really just perfectly crafted to get my eye twitching.