Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Crazy Larry posted:

Watching this makes we wish Blind Guardian would just record all of their albums like they're doing it live instead of doing it in studio with 15,000 tracks.

Complete with eighty thousand people singing along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Katatonia I listened to Viva Emptiness for the first time in like 8 years today. Lyrics are still hilarious (it's not like I owe him money, this is different!) But the album is still so good.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I saw Blue Öyster Cult last night and despite being 3 guys in their late 60s (with two younger guys rounding out the band) they're still incredibly heavy. It was probably helped by them playing mostly heavier songs. They were a bit hindered by the fact that the airline had lost their guitars, so they were playing with borrowed equipment. I think Buck Dharma changed his guitar 3 or 4 times and did some tuning between tracks as well.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I was just reminded that Halo exists. I forgot how awesome they were.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rGgqCgL08M

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

LordPants posted:

Speaking of Katatonia I listened to Viva Emptiness for the first time in like 8 years today. Lyrics are still hilarious (it's not like I owe him money, this is different!) But the album is still so good.

I have deep nostalgia for that album because I listened to it a lot during the year when I was first dating my now-wife. Love it forever.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

LordPants posted:

Yeah, it completes the lyrical cycle of embarrassment started with Last Fair Deal Gone Down and its "why have you put so many things into my eyes"

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Dumb lyrics, in MY metal? Why I never.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I basically expect dumb rear end lyrics in my metal.

Speaking of which, I loving love Shade Empire and I've been listening to the Omega Arcane album for the last 3 hours straight because well, I might have a few screws loose.

This poo poo owns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj8BY3bvGJo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I finally got around to listening to Terminal Redux. I did myself a terrible disservice by not listening to it sooner, since it's definitely my album of the year and possibly of the decade thus far. "Collapse" is probably now one of my favorite songs of all time. It's just so beautiful.

Now I really, really regret not seeing Vektor and Voivod earlier this year. :sigh:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Klaaz posted:

You might think of these the moment you are in your tent in the middle of the night a mile away from a pissing spot while rain is pouring out of the sky like crazy while your tent is six feet deep in the mud and the path outside is completely transformed in a big pile of mud and piss in which you will be in to your knees in the next step you take towards a place where you actually can take a piss. While contemplating on this terrible endevour you realise the shoes, or if you were smart boots, are completely messed up covered in mud, cowshit and piss (yes, its not only piss what you are smelling but also cowshit) which will be hell to put on and off without messing up your tent.

I was there in 2012 and 2015, it was terrible. When the weather is good I really love this festival as it was awesome in 14 but I might never go anymore ever because when it rains (which happen more then not in these regions) it's awful. Also the line up is oftenly rather mediocre and at the same time you have to get tickets way before the line up is shaping up.

Jesus christ, an acquaintance is at Wacken and posted photos on facebook today. It really does look like a miserable, filthy nightmare :gonk:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 8, 2016

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man, Wacken is a mess even when the weather is good. I mean, you can deal with it, but I can't imagine being there when there's a shitstorm going on. I went in 2006 and it was a good time but there were dark clouds looming and we barely escaped a ton of rain. I just remember thinking "oh holy gently caress, if that happens, this whole place is going to suck a whole lot and really fast."

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Fenrir posted:

Oh man, Wacken is a mess even when the weather is good. I mean, you can deal with it, but I can't imagine being there when there's a shitstorm going on. I went in 2006 and it was a good time but there were dark clouds looming and we barely escaped a ton of rain. I just remember thinking "oh holy gently caress, if that happens, this whole place is going to suck a whole lot and really fast."

Right yeah like of course it's muddy, the state fair is "muddy", but this was a boulevard of shin deep mud and standing water and a bunch of tents in a small pond, ugh.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 8, 2016

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Fenrir posted:

I basically expect dumb rear end lyrics in my metal.

Speaking of which, I loving love Shade Empire and I've been listening to the Omega Arcane album for the last 3 hours straight because well, I might have a few screws loose.

This poo poo owns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj8BY3bvGJo

I am also definitely a sucker for this kind of poo poo, and it does own.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

the yeti posted:

Right yeah like of course it's muddy, the state fair is "muddy", but this was a boulevard of shin deep mud and standing water and a bunch of tents in a small pond, ugh.

Brutal

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

the yeti posted:

Yeah, like I said, we got lucky that we didn't get a ton of rain because we were really going to just up and leave if that poo poo happened.

hopterque posted:

I am also definitely a sucker for this kind of poo poo, and it does own.

Isn't it great? SE might not be the most technical or creative band but I love this poo poo to pieces.

Designed for blood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dK8k-50cME

I watch you through the eyes of wolves...

e: Also check out 9 in 1 from the Zero Nexus record and Disembodiment from Omega Arcane if you like these guys... and of course, BLOODSTAR

BLOODSTAR. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EskDw9SgltQ Blah blah Bloodstar. Bloodstar is Bloodstar is the best Bloodstar of all Bloodstar BLOODSTAR :black101:

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 8, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Trenchfoot is pretty metal so I think y'all should accept the mud and piss with more appreciation.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If you can't take a few days of mud and rain you probably just aren't metal enough.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Well, as I do like the music a lot I never cared much about the dumb rear end spastics trying way too hard waving the metal flag while pointing at their metal badge.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

die for metal, metal brothers

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Fenrir posted:

Yeah, like I said, we got lucky that we didn't get a ton of rain because we were really going to just up and leave if that poo poo happened.

Last year it was such complete disaster that I don't know why more people didn't just leave. If it wasn't because a friend in the city just let's me camp in his garden (since his house is full during Wacken, sadly) I simply wouldn't go. Plus, I carry all my photo gear with me; it can survive rain, not mud (and I've seen tents that are just filled with mud after a storm).

gently caress being "trve", the camping can be downright dangerous when it's like that. Not to mention that it's insanely unsanitary, since the mud is basically 50% poo poo, so the whole place smells like a sewer, it's full of flies, and your chances of having clean hands when you eat are pretty slim.

Since somebody mentioned cringeworthy acts...
I unironically and unapologetically like Dragonforce. During their show, however, they brought a guest performer they introduced as a "Youtube sensation." He's a Finn named Pellek and who, as far as I can recall from the many unsolicited press releases he sent everyone, is his own biggest fan. He was off tune and evene got the lyrics wrong.
The other issue was with Eluveitie. Since drummer, guitar player and hurdygurdy/singer all left the band, they had to get some replacements. Anna Murphy (the hurdygurdy singing lady) was replaced in vocals by Liv Kristin (ex Atrocity and ex Leave's Eyes) on vocals. Not only was her voice completely unsuitable (she half assed an operatic style that simply doesn't work with the band) but also forgot the lyrics to one of the two songs she performed in ("A Rose For Epona").

Edit. As for Tarja being cringe worthy, nothing beats her fans in that department. The fascination that she awakes among the lonely and obese (both male and female) is incredible. The same happens with Alissa White-Gluz of Arch Enemy. It's not even a sexual thing... They're just obsessed.

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 8, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Has no one mentioned the Dio hologram?

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

A couple of years ago there was some story going on about two fat dudes masturbating while watching Delain or a similar female fronted band or some poo poo at Graspop Metal Meeting in Belgium.

Edit: fat

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Non Serviam posted:

Since somebody mentioned cringeworthy acts...
I unironically and unapologetically like Dragonforce. During their show, however, they brought a guest performer they introduced as a "Youtube sensation." He's a Finn named Pellek and who, as far as I can recall from the many unsolicited press releases he sent everyone, is his own biggest fan. He was off tune and evene got the lyrics wrong.
He's Norwegian, actually.
Far as I can tell he's a perfectly average metal singer, but I guess a handsome guy doing metal covers of anime theme songs is a recipe for success, then.
Dunno how anyone would think it's a good idea to drag a guy on stage in front of tens of thousands of people when his only performance experience (as far as I know) is Youtube videos.

Non Serviam posted:

Edit. As for Tarja being cringe worthy, nothing beats her fans in that department. The fascination that she awakes among the lonely and obese (both male and female) is incredible. The same happens with Alissa White-Gluz of Arch Enemy. It's not even a sexual thing... They're just obsessed.
Yeah it was always pretty disturbing to me back in the day how some "Nightwish fans" just latched onto her like no other member of the band meant a thing. Those fans are probably the main reason she was even in Wacken in the first place. Tarja-cultists just lap up any old bollocks she puts out so they're probably an easy demographic to sell festival tickets to.
I didn't know Alissa has such a phenomenon around her too, though I guess that would explain why she was Tarja's guest for one song. Yes, it was just as awkward and unfitting as you imagine. :v:
But I mean, Alissa is at least a good performer. I just watched the video from AE's Wacken gig, and she has a convincing stage presence and her banter has some charisma to it unlike Tarja's embarrassing nonsense. She's also extremely attractive which I'm sure doesn't hurt.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I read the article and am very, very sad I haven't seen it, because seriously that sounds rad as loving hell.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

I only read about it now, sadly. Dio Disciples closed the last night of the festival, playing around 2 am or so. Sadly, I had to miss their show since I had to drive to Hamburg.

Having said that, Dio disciples always seemed like Wendy Dio (like many others) is trying to milk some more money out of a Ronnie's death (see also https://youtu.be/dEtyaC6ltQg and the Manowar clusterfuck http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/manowar-director-defends-band-s-dio-tribute-says-criticism-is-fuelled-by-jealousy/). I remember having to unfollow Ronnie's facebook page because at some point it was just devoted to asking you to buy a new Greatest Hits album or DVD.

I was fortunate enough to see Dio perform with Heaven and Hell a year before he died. If this gimmick shows younger kids some of the energy he had, it's nice. I consider it tasteless, but maybe it can expose more people to him.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

New Darkthrone release coming!

quote:

Hi folks, it's time to talk a bit about our new album - and as I don't like to talk or write about music much I can say that it is more serious and primitive than usual. Vocals are only done by Ted as I thought this would create a more solemn/introvert atmosphere. The album is called ARCTIC THUNDER because it is my fave bandname (old mega-obscure Norwegian band from the 80s that I asked the permission from to use as an album title). Meanwhile here is the cover, it is from the personal camping archives from a trip some years ago to SPÅLSBERGET in Nordmarka. IT has the usual spruce-tree skyline and also a bonfire - there will be another limited colour version with orange logo and title, because that was MY favourite colour, but the usual release looks like this in silver - as this was Ted's favourite version.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

New Darkthrone release coming!

It's amazing that Fenriz manages to sound like a 15 year old pitching his idea for a poster

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
I love that he hasn't upgraded his camera since the early 90s

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
It's the same album as all the previous ones just with a different cover

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Did any of you ever listen to Kenn Nardi's solo album that was basically 2.5 hours of unrecorded Anacrusis songs? It's actually really loving good; just needs to be split up over the course of a day.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Jusupov posted:

Their old and new albums sound really different though?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Somebody sent me an automatic Manowar lyrics generator. It's scarily accurate.

http://dmatoso.com/manowar-lyrics-generator/

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Jusupov posted:

Found the dude that doesn't listen to Darkthrone

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Is Nevermore any good outside of This Godless Endeavor? Kind of a fan of Warrel Dane's vocals.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

A human heart posted:

Their old and new albums sound really different though?

Fenriz said almost the same as I did almost 20 years ago

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Vargatron posted:

Is Nevermore any good outside of This Godless Endeavor? Kind of a fan of Warrel Dane's vocals.

Yes. The album before Godless (Enemies of Reality) is probably closest to that style but Dreaming Neon Black and Dead Heart in a Dead World are really really good.

Edit: The title track off The Obsidian Conspiracy is cool too but the rest of the album is garbage.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Work your way backwards from TGE to Dreaming Neon Black. Make sure you listen to the remaster of Enemies of Reality, not the godawful original mix. The Obsidian Conspiracy is pretty alright too, the In Memory EP is solid, I sometimes dig Politics of Ecstacy but I need to be in the mood, not a fan of the s/t. Overall a pretty solid discography though, it's worth giving it all a shot.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
https://soundcloud.com/hannes-grossmann/5-oceanborn-1

this is really goddamn good

pentfixion
May 23, 2016

WULKAMANIA WILL NEVER DIE
I'm keeping myself from listening to the new Blood Incantation until it arrives in the mail. I can't wait to experience how cool and good it is.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Hell yeah it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

pentfixion posted:

I'm keeping myself from listening to the new Blood Incantation until it arrives in the mail. I can't wait to experience how cool and good it is.

its so drat good