Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

NESguerilla posted:

They also flat out said there will be combat in RE7.

That requires reading though. Much easier to just watch a LP and base opinions off that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If they didn't want people unsure about whether RE7 even had combat or not, they should have released a demo with some combat in it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Well that's why demos always say "not representative of final product" on them I guess.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Policenaut posted:

Well that's why demos always say "not representative of final product" on them I guess.
If I had the approach of today's impatient plebs back when Director's Cut was first released, I'd have been loving livid when Ada didn't show up in the STARS Office as the RE2 preview had promised shown.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That demo is just them trying to cash in on the hype PT generated. Who knows how representative it is of the final game.I really hope they can elevate it beyond the lowest hanging fruit in the indie horror genre and make something that resembles RE in some capacity.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My favorite thing about the demo was the first two or three days where it seemed reasonable to think that maybe there was an additional ending in there. It was kind of fun watching streams for several hours of people trying different combinations of things to escape that house. But we never did, always awaking in front of that drat television in the next iteration of the loop.

I've watched Andre disappear and found his body hanging from that drat pipe beneath the ladder...hundreds of times. Countless times did I see that axe swung, the bolt cutters used on that cabinet's chain, the lockpick used on the kitchen drawer, the microwave opened, the faucet turned off, the VHS put in the VCR, the secret passage opened, the phone answered, the ghosts, heard the growling dog from beyond the barricaded door under the stairs...I will never leave this house.

I have been welcomed to the family. I am the son. I don't do ADR.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

E: I don't know why I'm so saucy about RE these days .

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 6, 2016

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

lmao if you didn't rub that mannequin finger all over every surface of that moldy house like it was an adventure game from 1994

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Running through RE5 again (with another player thank gently caress) and we'd never before realised just how ridiculously hidden some of the treasures are. One of them (during the oh-so-fun lantern run in the mines) is literally loving invisible until you shoot it off the ceiling!

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Running through RE5 again (with another player thank gently caress) and we'd never before realised just how ridiculously hidden some of the treasures are. One of them (during the oh-so-fun lantern run in the mines) is literally loving invisible until you shoot it off the ceiling!

Just gonna throw out a guess here, but I know some of them only shine if you point the lantern directly at it?

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Man I wish they'd kept these for RE6. Also the gun upgrading. And everything else that made RE5 so drat good. Wonder what kinda guy it was that decided "so uhh, RE5 is one of our best selling games of all time, let's avoid doing anything like that this time".

e: oh wait it is THE best selling Capcom game of all time, and RE6 is only half a million behind. Though that is probably just people thinking they were getting more of the same, which is why a lot of crummy sequels sell really well after a great first game.

smuh fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 9, 2016

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Missing the loot and gun upgrades was the biggest loss from RE5 to RE6. It didn't have the cool feeling of a continuous adventure, and upgrading skills was a piss-poor substitute, especially because the skills are all pretty uninspired and lame.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

Missing the loot and gun upgrades was the biggest loss from RE5 to RE6. It didn't have the cool feeling of a continuous adventure, and upgrading skills was a piss-poor substitute, especially because the skills are all pretty uninspired and lame.
Plus you get only 3 skills equipped at a time. Yeah l'm sure people hated feeling overpowered after 3 playthroughs, good thing they put a stop to that lame poo poo huh

And for some reason they continued to ignore weapon upgrading in both Revelations games, instead going with sticking crappy parts on guns. Which was very unsatisfying in comparison.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

smuh posted:

Yeah l'm sure people hated feeling overpowered after 3 playthroughs, good thing they put a stop to that lame poo poo huh

.... Actually...

Yeah, that did bother me a bit about RE5. It was one of my lesser complaints, but I dislike it when games can be 'brute forced' just by putting more time into them. Eventually in RE5, you become an unstoppable engine of death no matter what, just by virtue of sufficiently upgrading everything. I always felt like that devalued my individual skill level a bit. I remember being annoyed that they didn't put in some sort of 'inverse New Game Plus,' where you're either not allowed to bring your equipment over to a new playthrough or can just wipe your existing inventory.

I mean yeah, you can always just buy new, un-upgraded ones and choose not to use your existing stuff.... but, eh. Then it just feels like you have to deliberately handicap yourself if you want any semblance of challenge.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Son Ryo posted:

Just gonna throw out a guess here, but I know some of them only shine if you point the lantern directly at it?
This one just refused to shine at all; I know where it is (using one of the sandbags in the tunnel as a marker), but the bastard thing just stayed invisible no matter what we did with the lantern. Got frustrated with trying to fine-aim my way over the ceiling in the end and starting throwing grenades around to dislodge it instead, which worked.

smuh posted:

Man I wish they'd kept these for RE6. Also the gun upgrading. And everything else that made RE5 so drat good. Wonder what kinda guy it was that decided "so uhh, RE5 is one of our best selling games of all time, let's avoid doing anything like that this time".
I'm not really fussed either way regarding the loss of treasures or weapon upgrades in RE6. The former would have been a better way to acquire Skill Points rather than just getting them through the act of killing poo poo and completing chapters, but oh well. As far as weapon upgrading goes, I was less of a fan of this thing in general, but found it particularly aggravating in the way it was implemented in RE5. As mentioned, you can just brute force your way past poo poo by slowly upgrading weapons after every death or other failure, which gradually removes the challenge which the game's supposed to present (except for poo poo like QTE's which are all bullshit fake difficulty anyway). RE4's weapon upgrading on the other hand was a bit of an oddball since the rubberbanding difficulty would frequently just gently caress around making enemies stronger etc. in an attempt to rebalance things anyway (and story-wise it was loving stupid but that's not the point).

smuh posted:

And for some reason they continued to ignore weapon upgrading in both Revelations games, instead going with sticking crappy parts on guns. Which was very unsatisfying in comparison.
Even though it often made little difference to a weapon's effectiveness, I actually preferred this sort of system over directly upgrading the hard stats of the weapon itself :v:

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 9, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wasn't dead set on having the exact same weapon upgrade system as 5, but i would have liked to have one at all in 6. i like upgrades!

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Backhand posted:

.... Actually...

Yeah, that did bother me a bit about RE5. It was one of my lesser complaints, but I dislike it when games can be 'brute forced' just by putting more time into them. Eventually in RE5, you become an unstoppable engine of death no matter what, just by virtue of sufficiently upgrading everything. I always felt like that devalued my individual skill level a bit. I remember being annoyed that they didn't put in some sort of 'inverse New Game Plus,' where you're either not allowed to bring your equipment over to a new playthrough or can just wipe your existing inventory.

I mean yeah, you can always just buy new, un-upgraded ones and choose not to use your existing stuff.... but, eh. Then it just feels like you have to deliberately handicap yourself if you want any semblance of challenge.
That's fair, but like you said they really could have kept everyone happy by simply having a straight up option to not do NG+ at all. Part of why RE6 just frustrates me so much is how 90% of skills are ones nobody will ever use since you'll likely just take the most useful ones with you. Plus, I absolutely want to experience the godhood of having all skills at once and break the game totally as I find that to be a great reward for playing for so many hours. Near-infinite stamina, very powerful weapons and melee, laser-accurate aiming, all shots criticals, infinite ammo for everything, etc. It would be so much fun! There would even be a reason to keep playing to unlock more skills. Oh well.

e: I will say though that RE5 is kind of TOO easy to get powerful in, and I did at least once wish there was a way to start a genuine NG without all the cash and weapons/items.

smuh fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 9, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

smuh posted:

e: I will say though that RE5 is kind of TOO easy to get powerful in, and I did at least once wish there was a way to start a genuine NG without all the cash and weapons/items.

Can't you just buy/find basic weapons again?

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Can't you just buy/find basic weapons again?
Yeah, but like Backhand up there said, you're delibirately handicapping yourself by doing that and it feels weird. Sometimes it would be nice to have a clean slate to go with. But for me that was only a problem when I wanted to play through the game in co-op with someone who'd never played it and I ended up deleting my save as a solution.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so they should avoid allowing people to get incredibly overpowered guns because others don't feel comfortable with deliberately using weaker guns? that is dumber than the "resident evil is still coasting on its reputation from 20 years ago" thing.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

so they should avoid allowing people to get incredibly overpowered guns because others don't feel comfortable with deliberately using weaker guns? that is dumber than the "resident evil is still coasting on its reputation from 20 years ago" thing.
Well, that wasn't my opinion at least if you read my posts.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

smuh posted:

Yeah, but like Backhand up there said, you're delibirately handicapping yourself by doing that and it feels weird. Sometimes it would be nice to have a clean slate to go with. But for me that was only a problem when I wanted to play through the game in co-op with someone who'd never played it and I ended up deleting my save as a solution.

There should definitely be an option to just start a brand new game - I played through the first Revelations again recently and you can just start a fresh save there - for that situation. I was in the same boat, I hadn't played RE5 before but my friend had beaten it multiple times already so what we did was a) he could only pick up new guns and b) the amount of money he could spend was the amount of money that I had. By the end of the game I had a bit of a spreadsheet tracking what he had spent and how much I had collected :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you don't have steam cloud enabled, you can just move or rename the old save to start a new one. if you do have it enabled, god help you. it is possible but also an enormous pain in the rear end.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Serious Frolicking posted:

if you don't have steam cloud enabled, you can just move or rename the old save to start a new one. if you do have it enabled, god help you. it is possible but also an enormous pain in the rear end.
Not that I've tried, but surely you can just disable it then move/rename the save file?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Not that I've tried, but surely you can just disable it then move/rename the save file?

if you don't have steam cloud enabled, sure. otherwise it will load the copy saved on steam's servers if your save is missing. again, massive pain in the rear end to undo. you would think that the unmourned death of gfwl would improve that situation, but no.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

So I just got done watching every single RE movie available and oh man oh man, this is definitely the place to throw some impressions about these trainwrecks so please enjoy some incoherent rambling while I vent:

First up, the Paul W.S. Anderson movie series. What a pile of garbage. The first movie was clearly made without a clue about the video games other than that people go into a mansion, there's a bioweapon research facility under it, also zombies. This movie begins the adventures of the biggest Mary Sue in the known universe, Alice - a person with no flaws who is just too cool for school, also too cool for acting out emotions or being a natural human being. The movie has awful special effects, cringeworthy music by someone's 16 year old nephew, and totally worthless anf wooden writing. It did have the cool laser corridor where people are cut to pieces though, which was the highlight of, well, the entire movie series. Ugh. The rest of the series is someone occasionally reminding that hey, this is based on some video game series right? And as such characters from the games - or random people with the same names - show up to make Alice look even cooler by being totally worthless. Monsters from the games show up too, like the lickers, las plagas guys, and the RE5 executioners who actually DO look like they do in the games and are kind of cool?? This is a trend in here though as the only neat parts are directly cribbed from games. They even straight up copy paste the entire Wesker-Chris-Sheva fight choreography from RE5 cutscenes in there, but somehow it manages to be super lame despite being the highlight of that specific movie. Also the protagonist, Alice, gets psychic powers, inhuman strenght and reaction time, an army of clones, and probably other nonsensical poo poo that gets erased in the beginning of the fourth movie in a hilariously blatant asspull series of events to create a clean slate. Because I guess someone thought it was a bit stupid how Umbrella was creating evil plans and bioweapons despite apocalypse having happened already and Alice being an unbelievably overpowered god-like being. Not that the nonsensical insanity would stop there though, as the fifth movie reveals that Umbrella creates underground domes with EXACT replicas of cities and runs combat simulations with infinite clones of people getting killed by BOWs. And presumably after every similation they have to rebuild the cities with their infinite amounts of money. These simulations, by the way, I believe are for the reason of showing big bad countries like the US, China and Russia what kind of cool weapons viruses make and then they sell the viruses. Despite Umbrella definitely spending mind numbingly huge amounts of money into the simulations and the clones so I wonder how many zeroes their deals must get to possibly keep them in business. Why arent they selling clone technology instead maybe? Who knows!!!!!!! Overall, these were some of the worst movies I'd ever seen and I was unable to even enjoy them in a campy kind of way. Maybe because I like the games and that coloured my perspective? Dunno.

Then the CG movies, Degeneration and Damnation. Degeneration seems like a low budget fanservice cash-grab flick thrown out there for easy videogame people money. The CG looks bad with everything having this really flat texture on it, and numerous times I was wondering why cutscenes in the latter videogames look so much more technically impressive than this. Animation is generally serviceable, but sometimes looks really akward. Characters seem to not have enough like, muscles around their mouths or something and dont really have a wide range of expressions plus their mouths apparently can't open enough to make yelling look not stupid. I'm pretty sure someone was playing a joke and told the director that Leon was a rusty robot on top of everything, as not only does he have a stick up his rear end personality-wise, he literally looks like he can not possibly even bend over in most scenes. Back completely straight, arms hanging at the sides, and walking like he was afraid of falling over and breaking into shards was bizarre as hell. It was very dull on top of everything else.

Now Resident Evil: Damnation though? Maybe because I'd been watching only these movies with nothing better in between, but wow was this really the pot of gold at the end of the sewage rainbow. CG looked great, animated very well, sound effects and music were fantastic, and it generally had a fun little side-story type thing going on with Leon going into an eastern european imaginary country to meet new friends and fight RE villains in a style very reminiscent of RE4 and its "just a day in Leon's life" type of deal. It even had humor! The last place I would expect to find bad but hilarious jokes was in an RE movie! It was filled with fanservice and that familiar over the top B-movie writing. The moment when Ada Wong fights an evil kung-fu president in the president's room that is secretly an elevator into a research facility was when I knew that yes, this movie has the essence of Resident Evil. They finally did it. They made a good RE movie and I had a blast. Thank god I left it for last because otherwise I woulda had a reeeeal bad taste in my mouth over all the rest.

Anyways, sorry for making this post, don't watch the movies and repeat my mistake. Except do watch Damnation if you're a fan of the games.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

smuh posted:

Plus you get only 3 skills equipped at a time. Yeah l'm sure people hated feeling overpowered after 3 playthroughs, good thing they put a stop to that lame poo poo huh

I kinda liked it in rev1, you could stack mods and make really fun/stupid guns. Once you start upgrading something in re5, you're stuck with it for the rest of the game pretty much.

RE6's skill system could've been fun if the skills were actually interesting instead of minor, boring +% to stuff.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
No, watch the live action movies because they are bat poo poo insane.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

No, watch the live action movies because they are bat poo poo insane.
Well, sure, they absolutely deliver on that front. I was probably in the wrong mood for them since I was expecting Resident Evil-ish things. I should also not have been sober.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

smuh posted:

I was probably in the wrong mood for them since I was expecting Resident Evil-ish things. I should also not have been sober.

The live-action ones are just abso-loving-lutely terribad in every single way, with the sole exception of the first one which is barely passable but still bad. For what it is, it at least does something to vaguely resemble the first game with the whole mansion/lab/special forces thing going on... although this was probably a complete accident knowing Anderson. The Licker also looked like utter poo poo.

How you got through the rest of them sober is beyond me though; I started drinking without even realising it when I saw Nemesis turn up and behave nothing like Nemesis in the second movie. It was like some sort of subconscious defence mechanism to not ruin how I've always remembered Nemesis to actually be, which doesn't involve pointless martial arts displays and having moments of reason. gently caress that movie. gently caress all of them. The rest of the events after that all blur together into some horrible lovely mess of in-name-only characters, a fat Wesker, the RE5 fight turned into some sort of comedy skit, Alice making everyone else look like the average RE NPC regardless of importance in the games, bullshit superpowers, BARRY loving BURTON BEING KILLED OFF, clones everywhere and what the actual utter gently caress I don't know what goes on in Anderson's mind or why.

Degeneration and Damnation on the other hand, I did enjoy, if just because I recognised the goddamn characters. Well maybe not so much Leon in Degeneration, that was actually jarring to see his personailty change so much from his RE2/RE4 appearances.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the movies are terrible for lots of reasons, but being different from the games isn't one of them.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I always kinda feel like everyone remembers Nemesis with rose-tinted glasses. His run animation and constant snarling of "STARS...." made him seem more mentally impaired than threatening to me, and his persistance would mean more if you weren't capable of killing him (relatively) easily every single time he showed up. Again, after a while it makes him seem less threatening and more utterly incapable of recognizing that Jill is out of his league.

He was legitimately both threatening and difficult at the police station, when you had basically nothing to take him on with. Afterwards... not so much.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

What was the way to get a super high score in Mercs mode in 6? I remember it's kinda like 5 where you want to melee/counter kill as many enemies as possible but then there's something about a special enemy that shows up?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Opinion of RE6 may be low but it remains one of my favorites because Jake and Sherry's final boss is a literal fistfight over a geothermal vent where Jake can deliver a vertical suplex as a counter.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

What was the way to get a super high score in Mercs mode in 6? I remember it's kinda like 5 where you want to melee/counter kill as many enemies as possible but then there's something about a special enemy that shows up?
Yeah, you're supposed to save this special enemy (varies depending on stage) until close to the end or some such rubbish along with the combo bonus timers to maximise its worth. I've never really bothered chasing high scores to such extents though so I can't say for sure how it all works, only that I've upset randoms for joining open games and killing things like I usually do only for them to cancel the loving session!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Backhand posted:

I always kinda feel like everyone remembers Nemesis with rose-tinted glasses. His run animation and constant snarling of "STARS...." made him seem more mentally impaired than threatening to me, and his persistance would mean more if you weren't capable of killing him (relatively) easily every single time he showed up. Again, after a while it makes him seem less threatening and more utterly incapable of recognizing that Jill is out of his league.

He was legitimately both threatening and difficult at the police station, when you had basically nothing to take him on with. Afterwards... not so much.

Dude came back to try to kill you like 5 minutes after being melted into goo. Give Nemmy a little credit.

SettingSun posted:

Opinion of RE6 may be low but it remains one of my favorites because Jake and Sherry's final boss is a literal fistfight over a geothermal vent where Jake can deliver a vertical suplex as a counter.

The remix of the RE5 Wesker theme during that fight was great. Too bad Sherry kinda runs out of stuff to do at the end, but it's still the best of the three end bosses.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Backhand posted:

He loses something in it not being 1999 anymore, but on an initial run of the game, when you don't know when he's going to show up, what's most effective against him, or how to dodge him, he's a genuinely intimidating presence who breaks all the "rules" established by games like RE2. He's designed to be a rude, unpleasant shock for people who think he's just Mr. X all over again.

There's nothing relatively easy about a Nemesis fight, either. You have to use up vast amounts of resources to kill him, even if you don't take a single hit in so doing, and it affects how you're forced to play the rest of the game. If you dodge Nemesis every time you're able to do so, conversely, you're swimming in ammunition and have room to experiment.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Drunken Baker posted:

Off-tangent but it is in Skyrim. Once they added takedown animations for everything you could hand-to-hand a ghost and chokeslam them and poo poo. P. Funny.

But as for suplexing ghosts in Resi 7... Probably not unless there's a raid/merc mode where you play as Leon. :black101:

Was it ever explained why all of a sudden he goes full WWF on monks when the regular plebs just got roundhoused?

I always figured Leon had a long day already, was infected with a Plaga and dealing with constantly helping a wailing girl and by the time he struggled through to the castle just went full-out 'you know what?! gently caress this'

Speaking of wrestling ghosts, I made a joke post earlier in the thread about Barry and Chris punching ghosts, but I ah, actually wrote out a plot for Ghost Puncher, as well as a sequel Ghost Puncher 2: Punchin' in Paris. It actually helped me through a pretty lovely point, so I don't regret it for a second, as ridiculous as it is to pen two stories about a man that can not only see, but also punch ghosts after a near death experience.

Thanks RE Megathread and Serious Frolicking. A goofy post helped me stave off ridiculously bad depression.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 11, 2016

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

His one hit kill after he knocks you down always had me on edge. Mash the buttons, get up numbnuts, he's gonna kill you if...dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

LadyPictureShow posted:

Speaking of wrestling ghosts, I made a joke post earlier in the thread about Barry and Chris punching ghosts, but I ah, actually wrote out a plot for Ghost Puncher, as well as a sequel Ghost Puncher 2: Punchin' in Paris. It actually helped me through a pretty lovely point, so I don't regret it for a second, as ridiculous as it is to pen two stories about a man that can not only see, but also punch ghosts after a near death experience.

Thanks RE Megathread and Serious Frolicking. A goofy post helped me stave off ridiculously bad depression.

Great art often comes from strange places.

Remember us fondly when Ghost Puncher makes you a millionaire.