Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crash Bandicoot is in Skylanders.

Sonic is in Lego Dimensions.

Sonic wins.,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Most of the 8-bit Sonic games were either GG-exclusive or developed primarily for GG and then ported to SMS, and many of the SMS games weren't released in Japan or even NA so the GG versions are the ones most people are familiar with. Also, most of them suck and should stay in the vault.

I played the Game Gear ones back in the day and I can confirm, they are bad and should be forgotten.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

quote:

Sonic was never good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1eweeRRZ9k

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

gently caress these stupid clowns. gently caress them. I'm PISSED!!!!!! :mad:

Just wait until Sonic Mania gets here and forgives all of the sins of Sonic Past and we'll see who has the last laugh...........bitches......it'll be Sonic, that's who.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

sonic has never sinned

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

sharrrk posted:

sonic has never sinned

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

sonic don't kiss that sinner!!!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Crash Bandicoot could kick sonic's rear end

NO WAY! NO WAY! NO WAY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTydIKHw5v4

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i wish i could be elise in this picture

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Good luck to Sonic and his friends in the Rio Olympics!

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Must be so hard to remain relevant.

Who are these shitpeels anyway?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Night Blade posted:

Must be so hard to remain relevant.

Who are these shitpeels anyway?

Realtalk, just to peel back the grandpa layer a little bit, I was poking around youtube for reactions on this and I just found a gentleman's channel giving his thoughts on the IGN vid and I just sent him a message asking him if I met him because he looks and sounds exactly like this crazy dude I ran into both times a friend and I went to this nearby games convention this year and last who, both times, cornered me into talking to him about sonic for an hour (I am seriously not kidding). I'm his Sonic Brutha and he is mine. He just finds me and makes me talk with him (yelling) about Sonic. It was wonderful :kiddo:

Linking vid cause the thumbnail is very nsfw

If it's not him I will feel disappointed. I do not know what the moral is here but I hope you enjoyed my Sonic Friend story, peace :c00l:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k

beep by grandpa posted:

sonic don't kiss that sinner!!!

to be fair, she kisses him. he was totes unconscious

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
Also, to say "Sonic was never good" and ignore 1-& Knuckles is really stupid. Even for hyperbole. The franchise started strong as hell, got mediocre, then bad, then worse, then barely found footing after the overall consensus on Unleashed->Colors->Generations was "I *THINK* they've got it figured out now."

Take all the potshots you want at the franchise; it's been to some weird and horrible places. But :cmon:, don't ignore the classics.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sonic 1? Okay that ones kinda eh, nobody likes Marble Garden or Labyrinth. But 2, 3, CD, and And Knuckles are loving dope as gently caress and I will fight anyone who says otherwise

Shinjobi posted:

to be fair, she kisses him. he was totes unconscious

That's highly inappropriate

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I played Sonic and Knuckles again the other day (didn't have 3 as a kid so eh) and it was good.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Even Sonic 1 was great for the time. The classic Sonic physics are just so good.

That's why I'm excited for Mania since I know Christian Whitehead won't let us down on that front.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Sonic 1 is a genuinely fun game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"Sonic was never good" is wrong but "the classic Sonic games were a happy accident of contradictory elements and it's very difficult to elaborate on any one aspect of the game without diminishing the others" is pretty much correct, I feel.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Augus posted:

nobody likes Marble Garden

I do. gently caress Labyrinth though.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Augus posted:

Sonic 1? Okay that ones kinda eh, nobody likes Marble Garden or Labyrinth. But 2, 3, CD, and And Knuckles are loving dope as gently caress and I will fight anyone who says otherwise

That's highly inappropriate

marble garden is sonic 3, sonic 1 has marble zone.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

"Sonic was never good" is wrong but "the classic Sonic games were a happy accident of contradictory elements and it's very difficult to elaborate on any one aspect of the game without diminishing the others" is pretty much correct, I feel.

Probably? I don't know, who knows what could be different today if Sonic Team approached their initial 3D games with a mindset on "physics" instead of "speed." 20 goddamn years of games later, we could be singing a different song today.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The 2D sonics were pretty good but Sonic was never great until Day Unleashed and every prior 3D sonic game is between "mediocre" and "dogshit"

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I disagree, Chao Garden and Chao Garden 2 were great games, pity about the weird minigames you had to play to get animals and chaos drives for them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Big's stages were flawless :colbert:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sharrrk posted:

marble garden is sonic 3, sonic 1 has marble zone.

Right, I meant Marble Zone

Also I think Daytime Unleashed is actually pretty drat bad. It's fun to look at, sure, but boy is it a snorefest to actually play.

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 6, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Daytime Unleashed can be fun, Rooftop Run has a lot of fun sections. It hadn't quite nailed the formula yet, but it was pretty enjoyable to play through once or twice. Sonic '06 could've been the promising one had they been given more time to fix the engine and do a few more level design passes, but alas. (Still wouldn't have salvaged the story)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I just don't like how rigid the boost gameplay is, even at the best parts of Generations. Sonic is at it's best, I feel, when it gives you flexible and satisfying movement with a high skill ceiling and levels that are playgrounds filled with stuff to interact with using Sonic's momentum. Boosting just instantly accelerates you to a fixed speed, you don't need to do anything to build up to that, it feels cheap. And the level design is too segmented and narrow, you're always being funneled from one set piece to another and when there's an alternate route, you're always entering it from a single point. You can't use hills to perform sick jumps and land on top of setpieces instead of going through them or anything like that.

Generations made positive steps towards the more open-ended gameplay, like being able to jump on the level geometry in Chemical Plant that looks like it should be part of the background, but the boost gameplay is just too limited, Sonic's physics in these games just aren't built well for fun platforming, they're built for going in one direction and hopping over obstacles.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I dig how fast and reactionary it is, youre just using your moves to react to obstacles that come as fast as you let them come.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

The 2D sonics were pretty good but Sonic was never great until Day Unleashed and every prior 3D sonic game is between "mediocre" and "dogshit"

this but in reverse exept 06 which was a warcrime

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The people who say Sonic was never good tend to be people who are so awful at playing games that they'd probably say Mario was never good if they thought they could say it without inciting tons of fan rage.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I saw the title and I thought it was just clickbait and maybe they were quoted out of context, but that dude sounds so sincere. He genuinely feels like there is no such thing as a good Sonic game. That's crazy to me. Sonic 3 is awesome. Sonic Adventure 2 is great. CD and Rush are both great. And of course there exists a person who is a Sonic fan that thinks all the games I listed are awful, but that doesn't matter. It's just the word "never" that throws me. And you can only say that kind of thing about Sonic because it's so easy to poo poo on him.

Like imagine if they'd said Mega Man was never good in the wake of Mighty No. 9.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Sonic was great until about 1995 and then it's been garbage ever since. Even 8 year old me knew that it was over when 3D Blast came out.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Sonic was never good, at fighting crash bandicoot in either armed, unarmed or kart combat

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I've had generally positive opinions about all the Unleashed and later games (Black Knight and Boom notwithstanding). Even the werehog was fun enough for a beat-em-up. It did not belong in the same game as the day levels, though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Frankston posted:

Sonic was great until about 1995 and then it's been garbage ever since. Even 8 year old me knew that it was over when 3D Blast came out.

same.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
History aside, Sonic Generations was the purest embodiment of fun and I don't get how some people can shrug it off. It was the only game I went out of my way to 100% because it was just so drat fun to replay over and over. Even without the nostalgia, it had a really creative and expansive level design, beautiful artwork full of attention to details, and really enjoyable physics that made it one of the most solid platforming games I've seen in years.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Also a lot of variety through the (mostly) optional missions. Which could have been resolved better than "YOU'D BETTER DO THOSE OR ELSE PROGRESSION STOPS", but it wasn't too offensive.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Sonic was never good, at fighting crash bandicoot in either armed, unarmed or kart combat

I dunno, Sonic's All Star Racing Transformed was really good and was a lot better than most Mario Kart games. If it had the same boost mechanics as Crash Team Racing I'd be confident in saying it was the best kart racer.

Kikas posted:

Also a lot of variety through the (mostly) optional missions. Which could have been resolved better than "YOU'D BETTER DO THOSE OR ELSE PROGRESSION STOPS", but it wasn't too offensive.

Some of those optional missions were garbage though, it took me numerous tries to do that one where you have to play some kind of weird pong with Vector's music notes. The main levels themselves were great though and I'm completely baffled Sega didn't release more levels as DLC as it would have been the perfect setup for it, I wanted to see reimagined versions of other Sonic levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
crash bandicoot once beat sonic in the 100m sprint after sonic was disqualified for having alkyl nitrate in his system