Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

King of Bees posted:

Shhhhhhh.... No chat threads

FINE

MUSTARD SUGGESTIONS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i've got about 5 or 6 beavs in my fridge

this best is dijon garlic but they're all pretty good.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Look for Mike's Mustard. It's a family operation that's really good.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I like Ba-Tampte for a spicy deli-style mustard, but it's hard to find. Gulden's Spicy Brown is a standard go-to mustard, or any kind of deli mustard with horseradish.

I've never found a store-bought honey mustard or honey mustard-based salad dressing I've liked, even though I usually love it in restaurants.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I just found out that even though no stores around me stock fish, I can have them order a salmon for me.

It'll probably be weeks old and gross as hell, but least I'll get to try out plopping a fish on the grill.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Thanks for the mustard recommendations guys, I've got some shopping to do!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Be careful.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

I gotta say grey poupon lives up to the hype. Such a bold and unique flavor

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I just found out that even though no stores around me stock fish, I can have them order a salmon for me.

It'll probably be weeks old and gross as hell, but least I'll get to try out plopping a fish on the grill.

It should come in frozen. It doesn't matter as almost everywhere that's not on an ocean has much of its seafood come in frozen and vacuum packed. I'll often ask for the frozen stuff directly if I'm not making it that day as it's closer to fresh if I thaw it myself straight before cooking it (drop it in the vacuum pack into a warm sink full of water) rather than buying two day old fridge fillet from the case.

Some stuff like clams comes in on ice rather than frozen solid, but sometimes they're frozen too.

raton fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 6, 2016

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This stuff is amazing on roast beef:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Collectable European drinkware! Forgive me, m'lady I knew not I discussed canned fish 'mongst royalty!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ceciltron posted:

Collectable European drinkware! Forgive me, m'lady I knew not I discussed canned fish 'mongst royalty!

Yeah, that's a little regrettable, but I swear that's a really good condiment.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Walmart had a rack of Coles Portuguese sardies on clearance for a buck a can so I took them all for my own

Hope they're good, gonna go find out in a minute

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Sheep-Goats posted:

Walmart had a rack of Coles Portuguese sardies on clearance for a buck a can so I took them all for my own

Hope they're good, gonna go find out in a minute

I have yet to be disappointed by dines from Mediterranean lands. Only had them from Morocco, Portugal, and Italy but they take it seriously

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Can you get this in the US? If you can, get some.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
A fine lunch

what yall doin

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Bardeh posted:

Can you get this in the US? If you can, get some.

Yes. Their powdery mustard flour in adorabpe tins is also widely available.

There's a tough old Northcountry broad in my county who makes mustard in her kitchen to peddle to the various yuppie grocers in the area. Her whole grain stout mustard is great. With bonus ball jar that I can then use for my own canning. :getin:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I am still alive and making sardine art!

http://imgur.com/a/RpJJZ

And thanks for your order. :)

I live in Newport News, Virginia (so right off the Chesapeake Bay), and in particular a neighborhood full of seafood as well as Asian/Indian/Filipino/etc markets. Fresh or tinned, I kinda got it all here. If you're asking about restaurants, though... not so much, for some reason.

These are (still) cool as heck

I kinda want one but I have to figure out where I to put it first

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

Coles Portuguese sardies

Can is deep and the fish are huge -- 3 very large sardos per can. Fish big enough to have spines thicker than a toothpick. Flesh wasn't mushy but also not firm.

Inoffensive but not a premium sard. Good for cooking / cats.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This stuff is amazing on roast beef:

Ceciltron posted:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, that's a little regrettable, but I swear that's a really good condiment.

Braswells stuff is great if you get it on discount from TJ Maxx, and after you inhale all the fig preserves or mustard or whatnot you have a knockaround whiskey glass :dance:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

As someone who saves and reuses the thick plastic containers that quarts of soup come in from Chinese restaurants, I appreciate little touches like that

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Local grocery chain started carrying some Bumblebee dines I've never seen before, all labeled as "Wild Sardines" in fancier packaging than normal Bumblebee-
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Hot Jalapeno
Mango Habanero

Picked up the Mango Habanero. Will eat in a couple of days and report back.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Got my whole salmon from the store. As expected, it's been frozen for quite some time. Then it sat around at the grocery store for a few days because they didn't contact me when it came in like they said they would. And it turns out that salmon are about twice the size I thought they were so there's no way it's going to fit on my grill.

Time for some super gross baked salmon!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Cut it in half it'll fit then

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Got my whole salmon from the store. As expected, it's been frozen for quite some time. Then it sat around at the grocery store for a few days because they didn't contact me when it came in like they said they would. And it turns out that salmon are about twice the size I thought they were so there's no way it's going to fit on my grill.

Time for some super gross baked salmon!

no, make grovlox!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I just got it unwrapped and there's no head. If I didn't want a head I would have purchased fillets. Why is it so hard to buy a fish.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

I just got it unwrapped and there's no head. If I didn't want a head I would have purchased fillets. Why is it so hard to buy a fish.

Because people are dumb and think you won't want it anyway.

I have the foolish idea in my head that dines + mustard would be way too salty. Seems enough people here dig it that I'll have to give it a shot. Luckily I always keep a jar of grey poupon on hand!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Crazyeyes posted:

I have the foolish idea in my head that dines + mustard would be way too salty. Seems enough people here dig it that I'll have to give it a shot. Luckily I always keep a jar of grey poupon on hand!

I don't get it. Dines aren't salty and mustard isn't salty. Where is this salt overload coming from?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Saltines? That usually aren't really salty.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Mustard tastes kind of salty to me.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crazyeyes posted:

Mustard isn't salty

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

How much time to I need to set aside to grill this salmon? I get that it's going to vary but I'm seeing everything from 5-10 minutes per side to wrapping it in foil (the gently caress?) and cooking for a full hour.

naem
May 29, 2011

Crazyeyes posted:

Quality plain dines with your own mustard will be a lot better than what most brands put in the can

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

How much time to I need to set aside to grill this salmon? I get that it's going to vary but I'm seeing everything from 5-10 minutes per side to wrapping it in foil (the gently caress?) and cooking for a full hour.

Um. How do you like it?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Salmon is very adaptable fish. A good newbie version is wrap in foil with some fresh dill and a few slices of lemon and bake for about 20 minutes.

The trick with salmon is when it flakes (not rips), it is done regardless of what the timer says.

Also: Got a baguette at the store this evening and had some dines on toast with Poupon. poo poo was bangin' as was prophesied.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i made pasta con sarde last night. it was good.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Okay I ended up cooking this for like 20 minutes before I lost patience and just ate it.

Pin bones are good bones.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 12, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Okay I ended up cooking this for like 20 minutes before I lost patience and just ate it.

Pin bones are good bones.

What the hell did you do to that poor fish? :(

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I covered it with olive oil, salt, and pepper then put it over medium-hot coals for 20 minutes. I'm pretty pleased with how it came out tasting, considering that it was very old and smelled horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Eating old, bad-smelling fish: a fine idea.